Why? Why does this happen? (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, May 23, 2022, 15:47 (695 days ago)

[image]

Yeah, I was on Team A.

The 3 lowest ELOs were put on one team. The 3 highest on the other.

I get the complaints that sometimes they try to balance by taking the highest ELO and throwing it in with the two lowest, and that seems unfair to the guy at the top... but this is way, way worse. For everyone. (well, I guess maybe not the steamrollers... though I bet they were bored.)

Why? Why does this happen?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, May 23, 2022, 16:31 (695 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The game desperately needs SBMM. It’s a real shame, Bungie used to have the best matchmaking in the business. Not sure when or why they stopped giving a shit.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 11:58 (694 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The game desperately needs SBMM. It’s a real shame, Bungie used to have the best matchmaking in the business. Not sure when or why they stopped giving a shit.

When they stopped having a game with an active PVP population that was so enormous that you can do SBMM without making matchmaking times take forever.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 23, 2022, 22:05 (695 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I thought only death and taxes were certain!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 08:16 (695 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought only death and taxes were certain!

I'm pretty sure this was covered under death.

Is this Trials?

by squidnh3, Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 12:12 (694 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm pretty sure there's no skill based matchmaking or team balancing of any kind in Trials (other than whatever is going on with card win matching that may or may not still be happening). As long as Trials is a tournament style thing, it has to be that way otherwise there would be incentive to game the system to fall into certain skill "bands".

Is this Trials?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 13:15 (693 days ago) @ squidnh3

I'm pretty sure there's no skill based matchmaking or team balancing of any kind in Trials (other than whatever is going on with card win matching that may or may not still be happening). As long as Trials is a tournament style thing, it has to be that way otherwise there would be incentive to game the system to fall into certain skill "bands".

Yes, it was Trials.

I get why they don't have SBMM in Trials. I'm actually okay with that. What I'm NOT okay with is a lobby-based teambuilding algorithm that says "Okay, we have these 6 players, how will we divide them up into two teams?" and decides that "Let's put everyone with an ELO above 1800 on one team, and everyone with an ELO below 1000 on the other team" is a good solution. (It wasn't quite that bad. I had an ELO of about 1200 at the time... but I was teamed up with an 800 and a 600... with the other team all a minimum of 600 above ME (one guy in the 3000s).)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread