*Sigh* Leave. The Game-Devs. Be. (Criticism)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 03, 2022, 20:03 (684 days ago)

So uh, I'm just gonna like... blog, er jabber-about real quick. Yeah?- Cool?- Sure, sure.

Shoot, I know what I want to say, but gosh darn how do I start this...

Hmmmm....

?? ??? ? ??ℝ? ?ℕ? ???ℝ?? ℕ??ℍ?!...

Suddenly! Then I realized "Oh shoot it's Thursday". (Which seemed to come by REALLY quickly this week, and I'm not sure why.) Jumped on to the TWAB, and prepared to regale in its potential infos. The part called "Operation Muy Caliente" was... interesting in a number of ways. I suggest everyone here at least read that part in full.

First of all, and this "feeling" may be more to me than anyone else... this part here;

As we've said in the past through TWABs, socials, and other dev updates, we'd much rather ship something a little too spicy than something bland that makes a bad first impression. I think with Solar 3.0, we landed somewhere in the middle, and the team feels very passionately that this is the wrong place to be.

It may have been said, but... I missed it. Does any one else recall this being said? I ask as this as I couldn't help but feel like this a sort of rebuttal to my... really out there observation. It would have been nice to have had a link to an example. Despite this assertion given in this TWAB, I can't ever say I've seen such a declaration made before, hence in part why I wrote what I wrote. Maybe such was implied? To whatever, I missed it.

Then we get to...

Solar Warlock:

• Heat Rises:
    • Added behavior: Consuming your grenade now also releases a burst of Cure x2 around you, healing you and your nearby allies. Consuming a Healing Grenade increases the strength of the burst to Cure x3 and consuming a Touch of Flame Healing Grenade provides Restoration as an additional benefit.

• Icarus Dash:
    • Added behavior: While airborne, rapidly defeating targets with your Super or any weapon Cures you.

• Celestial Fire:
    • Each Celestial Fire projectile now applies 10 Scorch stacks. This is increased to 15 stacks with Ember of Ashes equipped.

Solar Titan:

• Burning Maul:
    • Buffed damage in PvE by 25%
  • Roaring Flames:
    • Added behavior: While Roaring Flames is active, your uncharged melee attack now deals Solar damage and applies 30 Scorch stacks to targets per hit. This is increased to 40 stacks with Ember of Ashes equipped.
  • Consecration:
    • Fragment slots increased from 1 to 2.
    • Raised the height of the secondary attack's ground wave by 25% to more easily catch players who jump too late.

Pretty cool! Progress is progress. Thank you. ...but... then, the mood changes a touch.

That's no small list of changes. The team takes feedback seriously—we're players ourselves, so when things don't land, we also feel that internally. To say it out loud, a hotfix of this magnitude comes at the cost of other changes, so to set expectations here, the team is unlikely to take another balance pass until much later this Season. It's important to our team that on top of doing amazing new things, we maintain a healthy work-life balance and this patch necessitates some breathing room.

And man, when I read that, I was... "Well, that felt oddly specific, and a touch passive aggressive."

...and my brain, meanwhile, gave me it's interpretation...

[Han] It'll take a few moments to get the coordinates from the navicomputer

[Luke] Are you kidding? At the rate they're gaining?

[Han] Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy. Without precise calculations, we'd fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that would end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

A fair point, right? ...Oh! For those of you don't understand what it said, Han in this case is Sandbox Discipline Lead Kevin Yanes, and Luke is the fanbase. Hyperspace is the GameDev Job... so on so on.

It was just... curious. I knew there was subtext, but I wasn't too sure of the what.

And then... a little later on I came across this reddit thread about a twitter post made by Mr.Yanes ("Titans will never get air dodge (I.e. Twilight Garrison) back", as per Kevin Yanes a Sandbox Lead at Bungie). When I went to click the link to twitter, and see the chatter about this, the link to this tweet was gone. It had been deleted.

Uh oh. Curiouser AND Curiouser.

And well... now it seems the answers can be filled in by the response.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sandbox Lead Twitter Account Gone.

https://twitter.com/Tocom?t=iFrBDM75D-BQuGBXG0t0EQ&s=09

Essentially all tweets are entirely gone now and it may be likely that he will never share design information and answer design questions like he sometimes did ever again, or at least not for a long time.

I sure as heck wouldn't wanna interact with the community for awhile after this

It's a real shame, he was one of the most transparent developers and would often gladly share a peek behind the current to people and talk about design choices, but I guess this community can't handle themselves

GG community, we did it!

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1532739474345455616?s=19 thread from hippy tangentially related about the nature of transparency and feedback

DMG just posted a big thread too

Since this thread is getting a ton of comments and a bunch of them are asking what happened, the TL:DR is that Yanes said on Twitter titans will not get twilight garrison back, then people got very angry, started harassing him, and lead to this.

There was a thread here about that tweet yesterday that got locked from people being uncivil there too.

I'm hoping that in the future he may come back, I really appreciate the transparency some devs have at Bungie and I'd hate to see that go away. I think people really don't realize and appreciate how transparent Bungie is, especially compared to other studios. Very few studios give weekly blog updates of what's happened and even fewer studios have developers interact or share information with the community at all. I absolutely loved when Yanes went on that podcast and talked about void 3.0 and gave some amazing insight. I loved when other developers went on a similar podcast and talked about pvp balance changes that were coming and gave us some amazing inside information on how things like aim assist and accuracy work. I hope that we can get more of that and give Bungie constructive feedback without having to resort to harassment of developers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am... SO DISAPPOINTED. Indeed, not the only one. There was a reason why I included his twitter in the big 'ol list at the top of this forum. He gave fantastic, frank tidbits of Destiny Game-Devery, with out all the neighborly "fruit basket and a pie" vibes we can get sometimes from the Community Managers (<3). It was refreshing to get from a lead "Nope, not gonna happen." Or "We're doing X because Y", and he could say that because... THE LEAD. He gave FANTASTIC incites behind the curtain, that I for one used in turn to understand the... what I can't presently see.

And now it's gone.

I lament the requirement of this change. I lament the requirement of idiots who never do. Dang it. It was so good, and once again idiots soiled it.

100%

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, June 04, 2022, 16:58 (683 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

"Consider that you don't know *everything* - nobody does."

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 05, 2022, 20:49 (682 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Indeed.

That attitude is not rewarded on social media, though.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread