Hey Kids do you like Halo? Do you like 4K? (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 07, 2022, 15:17 (631 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, July 07, 2022, 15:24

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/cutscenes/

So yeah I did the 4K thing finally. Available for Halo 3, ODST, Reach, And 4. Infinite is in the pipeline and will be available at some point.

Claude fixed the website for them and made everything consistent. Thanks man.

Whats this?! NO Dolby HDR?! ;D

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, July 08, 2022, 11:40 (630 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Whats this?! NO Dolby HDR?! ;D

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 08, 2022, 15:36 (630 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

HDR is a huge mess when it comes to delivery. It's possible, but 1. It's a pain in the ass, and 2. Infinite's HDR is not very aggressive.

So Glad You Mentioned That.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, July 08, 2022, 14:58 (630 days ago) @ Cody Miller

First off, thank you so much for doing this—it's great that you're continually improving the library to its fullest potential. I'm getting nostalgic for the DownThemAll extension I used to use for this. :-)

Next up, I was able to find and download some settings to help deinterlace my content, so I found an old recording to tinker with. I wanted your opinion on whether this is acceptable quality. I think it looks much better than last time.

If that's the case, we'll then have enough to fill in the missing pieces of the Halo legacy. Unfortunately I don't know when—or even if—I'll be able to re-record the remaining cutscenes, as I've had troubles with my capture card and I have been grappling with tech support for literally more than a year with my issue...but if by the grace of god I can somehow get it fixed, I can get all those redone for you, Claude. Just gimme the word.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 08, 2022, 16:01 (630 days ago) @ Morpheus

Next up, I was able to find and download some settings to help deinterlace my content

It's best to capture progressive. Don't even deal with interlacing at this point.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, July 09, 2022, 07:35 (629 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm pretty sure it does that properly; I think I just accidentally rendered it interlaced. But if that quality is better, I can use those settings to get to work, once this issue is fixed.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 09, 2022, 08:28 (629 days ago) @ Morpheus

I'm pretty sure it does that properly; I think I just accidentally rendered it interlaced. But if that quality is better, I can use those settings to get to work, once this issue is fixed.

I mean, that looks way better in the sense that the image looks correct. That's a prerendered cutscene, so it's tough to tell if the original was just over compressed or not. Maybe try something in engine.

Email me with your setup if you want.

Infinite Added

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 25, 2022, 10:35 (613 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, July 25, 2022, 10:56

Ok not gonna lie, Infinite looks pretty good in 4K.

https://halo.bungie.org/misc/cutscenes/infinite.html

P.S. No that's not a typo. The credits are in fact 26 minutes long.

Infinite Added

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 06:48 (611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can't wait to check these out!

And I'm not remotely surprised by the credits. Remember when they only credited the people who actually worked on the game?

Now they've got entire segments dedicated to the branches and corporate divisions and groups who have nothing to do with it...and their babies...and their pets...and their pets' babies.

Infinite Added

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 13:38 (611 days ago) @ Morpheus

Can't wait to check these out!

And I'm not remotely surprised by the credits. Remember when they only credited the people who actually worked on the game?

Now they've got entire segments dedicated to the branches and corporate divisions and groups who have nothing to do with it...and their babies...and their pets...and their pets' babies.

As someone pointed out, it probably includes all the contractors they cycled through at 18 month intervals. So, the number of names goes up by 4x versus just having a full time team.

Infinite Added

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:16 (611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Unless they’re unusually good at crediting folks, I kinda doubt that. It’s pretty industry standard not to credit people that were no longer on the team when the game shipped.

Infinite Added

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 15:35 (611 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Unless they’re unusually good at crediting folks, I kinda doubt that. It’s pretty industry standard not to credit people that were no longer on the team when the game shipped.

Is it? I remember an outrage when XSEED did this. Has this just become the norm in the last 3 years?!

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-10-xseed-games-controversial-credits-policy-only-names-current-staff-m...

Infinite Added

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 16:09 (611 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Maybe I’m extrapolating too much when I say it’s standard practice, but I remember lots of people talking online around that story that it’s not abnormal for that to happen, it’s just something that no one ever really highlighted or talked about.

Yeah, if not standard, common enough

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 28, 2022, 06:49 (610 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

But SHOULD it be?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 28, 2022, 14:15 (610 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

never

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, July 29, 2022, 11:00 (609 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

If you worked on it, you should get credit.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 29, 2022, 04:45 (609 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If you're working on something without getting credit, that should be part of the contract before work begins.

💯

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, July 29, 2022, 11:04 (609 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread