15 Years ago… (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 24, 2022, 22:38 (550 days ago)

…we finished the fight. On September 25, 2007 Bungie released Halo 3.

And but for a spinoff and a prequel, the Halo series wrapped up with absolutely no more games ever.

15 Years ago…

by Anna Komnene, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 05:22 (550 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Happy birthday, Halo 3. My favorite campaign in the franchise, and my favorite game of all time.

15 Years ago…

by Avateur @, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 10:27 (550 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All true facts. Though MCC is great now, real talk. Happy anniversary H3!

15 Years ago… *Img*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 11:09 (550 days ago) @ Cody Miller

…we finished the fight. On September 25, 2007 Bungie released Halo 3.

[image]

Were It So Easy. ;-)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 13:55 (550 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

BELIEVE

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 16:37 (550 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

BELIEVE

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, September 26, 2022, 06:04 (549 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

The best marketing/advertising campaign for a video game ever.
period.
hands down.

Maybe even the best for anything ever.
The hype was real.

BELIEVE

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, September 26, 2022, 10:28 (549 days ago) @ ManKitten

Oh for sure, it was like they couldn't miss. Every single thing from the trailers to Crackdown for the Beta, Landfall to the Slurpee Cups, ViDocs to the Diorama, it was all magic. 11/10 A++

BELIEVE

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 26, 2022, 11:01 (549 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Oh for sure, it was like they couldn't miss. Every single thing from the trailers to Crackdown for the Beta, Landfall to the Slurpee Cups, ViDocs to the Diorama, it was all magic. 11/10 A++

Yes, in game things popped into the frame, just like magic.

BELIEVE

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, September 26, 2022, 14:38 (549 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Na, see Micro$oft did all that dumb stuff. I'm not talking about that stuff. (I actually had the metal Mt. Dew bottles until about a year ago.)

[image]

BELIEVE

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, September 26, 2022, 16:59 (549 days ago) @ ManKitten

Na, see Micro$oft did all that dumb stuff.

None of it was dumb, what the hell are you on about? The marketing was godly top to bottom.

BELIEVE

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 26, 2022, 17:34 (549 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

None of it was dumb, what the hell are you on about? The marketing was godly top to bottom.

Even the Halo 2 condom?

BELIEVE

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 05:14 (548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"It's good to play together"

"Coming Soon"

Yes. It was hilarious and unique.

BELIEVE

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 06:04 (548 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

I thought you were mocking me :P
Because the IP was absolutely whored out to everything.

It was a special time.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 09:03 (548 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316), Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 09:54

I thought you were mocking me :P

Nope, I thought we were veterans reminiscing.

Because the IP was absolutely whored out to everything.

Exactly. Halo 3 was everywhere. I was a freshman in high school at the time, it was all anyone talked about. Absolutely insane hype. We had H3 Mtn Dew in our vending machines, walk to 7-11 and get a H3 Slurpee cup. Turn on the news and Time Square is Halo 3 Land. Go to Burger King get a Halo 3 meal. A global phenomenon.

I honestly get hyped just remembering this shit. Literally brings a tear to my eye, I'm man enough to admit.

Even though I ended up being disappointed by the game! LOL

We were a little young for the midnight launch, but the moment we got home from school, my brother, two friends, and I rushed to our 360s and we Finished the Fight in one sitting. Homework be damned.

Man I'm honestly really bummed now thinking about the current state of Halo, the series that defined my childhood. Forged lifelong friendships. I've never experienced anything like it. So if I ever go off on 343, or get defensive of the Bungie games, or whatever else, then that's why. Cause it's all gone.

I'm gonna go have another drink. Peace to you and your clan.

It was a special time.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 10:16 (548 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

How could you be disappointed by the best Halo game ever released?

It was a special time.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 10:59 (548 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I wasn't. I was disappointed by Halo 3. The gameplay was a huge step down, but the features that were added (Forge, Fileshare, Theater, online Coop) were monumental. Light years ahead of the competition. Those really made up for it in the long run, but it took a little while for the fruits of said features to really manifest.

It was a special time.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 11:03 (548 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Excuse me.

Sub-thread: Post a handful of your favourite screenshots.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 16:39 (550 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 17:03 (550 days ago) @ CyberKN

[image][image][image][image][image][image][image][image][image][image][image][image]

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 16:36 (548 days ago) @ CyberKN

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

I've got hundreds more, I was addicted to Theater Mode back then.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 16:25 (547 days ago) @ CyberKN

While I do have a number of them in, uh SOME hard drive somewhere, I do know of a place where you can see TWO of them (and other folks) here (Note: Link is http, not https), and some of my faves (which I would be showing larger if I could find them) thanks to Wayback Machine. If you click the wayback, scroll down. It got captured funny.

A look back at co-op night promos

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 18:09 (550 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 18:36

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

A look back at co-op night promos

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 20:44 (549 days ago) @ Kermit

What a time to be alive.

Now I don't want to give anyone false hope, BUT... in the screenshots for the upcoming cut content being added to MCC, there were four Spartans...

Intriguing!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 26, 2022, 07:03 (549 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

- No text -

The Highs and Lows

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 13:16 (548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's fun and easy to remember the good times:

• Great cutscenes
  • Stellar musical score
  • Thematic heft and narrative completeness
  • Valhalla
  • Forge
  • 4-player co-op
  • Theater
  • File share
  • Terminals
  • Grifball

But our praise means little if it's not given with honest sobriety. And to that end we should acknowledge the low points:

• Hit detection sucked
  • Regen equipment sucked
  • Bubble shield sucked
  • Isolation
  • Snowbound
  • Initial transformation of Cortana from "sassy and helpful partner" to "schizo girlfriend who needs saving before she ruins the galactic dinner party"
  • Hit detection sucked

Fond memories but I'd say I had more fun playing Reach. And that's despite bloom, which may have been the single worst element intentionally introduced into any Halo game from any studio.

The Highs and Lows

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 15:01 (548 days ago) @ Schooly D

Bubble shield sucked

We are no longer friends.

The Highs and Lows

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 18:55 (548 days ago) @ CyberKN

[image]

The Highs and Lows

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 16:36 (548 days ago) @ Schooly D

Fond memories but I'd say I had more fun playing Reach. And that's despite bloom, which may have been the single worst element intentionally introduced into any Halo game from any studio.

Are we talking reticle bloom in Reach, or light bloom in 5?

The Highs and Lows

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 19:02 (548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The former. Bullet spread was of course present in automatic weapons since Halo 1, but in Reach a huge amount of it was baked into the bread-and-butter semi-auto precision weapon of the game. Unforgivable.

343 reduced it in later patches, but the rest of the sandbox and maps weren't rebalanced to account for the change. Just a mess.

The Highs and Lows

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 21:50 (547 days ago) @ Schooly D

The former. Bullet spread was of course present in automatic weapons since Halo 1, but in Reach a huge amount of it was baked into the bread-and-butter semi-auto precision weapon of the game. Unforgivable.

It's not inherently bad. I'd have thought you'd have liked it since it adds a skill element of shot pacing, and decision making / risk assessment for when to go for a quick second shot.

The Highs and Lows

by Avateur @, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 18:25 (548 days ago) @ Schooly D

It's fun and easy to remember the good times:

• Great cutscenes
  • Stellar musical score
  • Thematic heft and narrative completeness
  • Valhalla
  • Forge
  • 4-player co-op
  • Theater
  • File share
  • Terminals
  • Grifball

Your excellent list made me remember the 24 hour Bungie Day gaming for Recon times. Which eventually led to Steak gaming in Reach? Awesome times!! Gotta veto for Colonnade!

But our praise means little if it's not given with honest sobriety. And to that end we should acknowledge the low points:

• Hit detection sucked
  • Regen equipment sucked
  • Bubble shield sucked
  • Isolation
  • Snowbound
  • Initial transformation of Cortana from "sassy and helpful partner" to "schizo girlfriend who needs saving before she ruins the galactic dinner party"
  • Hit detection sucked

I had fun with bubble shield, and I never really minded Snowbound. To this day, Isolation should never be played or be in any MCC or LAN rotation imo. Like the Flood, that map needs to be killed with fire.

The Highs and Lows

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 19:08 (548 days ago) @ Avateur

I had fun with bubble shield, and I never really minded Snowbound. To this day, Isolation should never be played or be in any MCC or LAN rotation imo. Like the Flood, that map needs to be killed with fire.

So many of H3's original MP maps were just weak and forgettable. For every strong entry (Valhalla, High Ground, The Pit) you have at least two stinkers (Isolation, Epitaph, Snowbound, Longshore, Rat's Nest, etc).

Guardian was alright but never lived up to its billing as the next Lockout.

The Highs and Lows

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 19:33 (548 days ago) @ Schooly D

Lockout wishes it was as good as Guardian.

This.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 20:19 (547 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Halo 3 had a lot of great maps!

by Anna Komnene, Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 05:20 (547 days ago) @ cheapLEY

These are the ones I enjoyed: Assembly, Avalanche, Longshore, Citadel, Rat's Nest, Epitaph, Cold Storage, Sandtrap, Sandbox, Standoff, Foundry, Ghost Town, Guardian, The Pit, Heretic, and of course, Valhalla.

Halo 3 had a lot of great maps!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 13:38 (547 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

These are the ones I enjoyed: Assembly, Avalanche, Longshore, Citadel, Rat's Nest, Epitaph, Cold Storage, Sandtrap, Sandbox, Standoff, Foundry, Ghost Town, Guardian, The Pit, Heretic, and of course, Valhalla.

All winners.

In fact, looking at the list of maps again, the only one that I remember disliking when it popped up in the queue was Isolation. It was just a little too easy to get caught out in some area without nearby cover. Also, flood-themed environments 🤢

The Highs and Lows

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 20:24 (547 days ago) @ Schooly D

I suck at multiplayer--except on Snowbound for some reason. That reason was probably why most people didn't like it.

The Highs and Lows

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 20:56 (547 days ago) @ Kermit

I suck at multiplayer--except on Snowbound for some reason. That reason was probably why most people didn't like it.

It's the proliferation of those transparent shield doors. They wrecked the pace of the game and turned indoor engagements into awkward dances involving footsies and grenades, punctuated by frenzied and random CQC.

The pacing element is a big reason why armor lock and bubble shield were such disasters too. There is a flow to the Halo MP gameplay: the way you move around the map, the way you engage enemies, the sightlines you prioritize, etc.

On top of being cheap "You fucked up, press X to not die!" mechanics, things like bubble shield and armor lock wreck this flow when deployed. You cleared the left side, cleared the right side, grabbed a weapon, crossed the catwalk, moved into a good position, you have an idea where the enemy might be based on where your team is, and as expected you get the jump on an enemy who's under-armed and out of place. You open fire, confident in the kill and already thinking about where his buddies might appear to avenge his death and... he pops the bubble shield or locks his armor and is invincible.

Now the game stops and the game-within-the-game starts. Now you're doing this awkward dance where the enemy can leave his protective shell at will, weakened but with a full clip, while you have a half-empty clip and his buddies can (and probably will) show up at some point from some location you can't really prepare for while maintaining your advantage on the idiot you should have killed. Bubble shield and armor lock are the most clear examples of this, but throw enough shield doors into enclosed areas and you'll get the same effect. The greatest sin isn't so much the denial of justice for people who should be dead, it's the abrupt transformation (for the worse) in how the game plays.

The Highs and Lows

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 08:06 (547 days ago) @ Schooly D

You open fire, confident in the kill and already thinking about where his buddies might appear to avenge his death and... he pops the bubble shield or locks his armor and is invincible.

The original fortnite building mechanic. Just ruining all the fun.

The Highs and Lows

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 09:57 (547 days ago) @ Schooly D

All that feeds into the entire design philosophy for H3. "Let's take Halo 2 but make it slower and clunkier". Every piece of equipment* slowed down the fight. The precision weapons are far less precise. Movement speed lowered. Map gimmicks designed around creating standoffs.

Definitely still better than bloom though, yeah.

*Power drain is arguable here.

The Highs and Lows

by Anna Komnene, Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 14:31 (547 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Halo 3's movement speed wasn't lower. The FOV was just narrower.

I disagree*

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 13:33 (547 days ago) @ Schooly D

*Partially.

I think lumping the Bubble Shield in with Armour Lock does the former a massive disservice.

One of these makes you an immobile brick on-demand, the other provides a one-time chance to dynamically alter the environment you're fighting in.

I don't expect you to agree with me that it was a welcome addition to the sandbox, you've already made it clear you feel otherwise, but c'mon; Armour Lock as a concept was so much worse.

I disagree*

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 14:06 (547 days ago) @ CyberKN

*Partially.

I think lumping the Bubble Shield in with Armour Lock does the former a massive disservice.

One of these makes you an immobile brick on-demand, the other provides a one-time chance to dynamically alter the environment you're fighting in.

I don't expect you to agree with me that it was a welcome addition to the sandbox, you've already made it clear you feel otherwise, but c'mon; Armour Lock as a concept was so much worse.

Armor Lock was, on balance, worse than Bubble Shield for the simple fact that it was far more ubiquitous. Bubble Shield at least pretended to be a power weapon, although in practice it was more common than it should have been. And on maps that also spawned Regen you had a "Press X to not die" twofer.

I disagree*

by Anna Komnene, Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 14:32 (547 days ago) @ Schooly D

I like Bubble Shield and Regen, but I do agree that they should've been treated more like power weapons. All equipment should've. Still, I enjoyed their implementation as it was.

15 Years ago…

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Saturday, October 08, 2022, 00:34 (537 days ago) @ Cody Miller

15 Years ago…

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Thursday, October 13, 2022, 11:52 (532 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Oh man I can’t believe it’s been so long

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread