How’s life? (DBO)

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Thursday, October 13, 2022, 12:24 (532 days ago)

I haven’t been here in years. Good to see so many poster names I recognize still!
How have y’all been?

I’m 30 now and have a wife and two daughters ❤️ life’s good. I hope y’all are doing good too.

How’s life?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 14, 2022, 08:38 (531 days ago) @ bryan newman

Since D2 backpedaled on sunsetting again I have been quietly re-acquainting myself with the game by playing whatever's free right now.

I am 37, doggedly avoiding children, finally at the point with my house where I don't constantly worry about what's going to break next, and my latest acquisition is this children's flashlight from 1986 that I'm going to try to modernize:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

How’s life?

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 14, 2022, 09:44 (531 days ago) @ stabbim

How’s the Miata?

How’s life?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 14, 2022, 09:51 (531 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Alive, lol. Still tied with my Outback for the most reliable car I've ever seen. It needs some new tires before it can go racing again and I kinda want to do the brakes too. It did get a new/old steering wheel which is NOT missing a chunk, unlike the original wheel. Oh and I have a spare engine now in case it goes bang.

oi

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 14, 2022, 10:53 (531 days ago) @ bryan newman

I haven’t been here in years. Good to see so many poster names I recognize still!
How have y’all been?

I’m 30 now and have a wife and two daughters ❤️ life’s good. I hope y’all are doing good too.

• starting a new role monday (10th anniversary with the company in November)
  • wife, 2 daughters
  • solar got installed on the house monday
  • smoking a brisket starting tonight
  • ordered a playdate
  • ordered an Analogue Pocket
  • loving seasonal destiny
  • beat bloodborne last week
  • happy to see some of the old guard popping in to say hello
  • autumn is my favorite season

yeah things are good

I’m happy to hear that! Good seeing you still on here!

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Friday, October 14, 2022, 19:08 (531 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Not so great

by Anna Komnene, Friday, October 14, 2022, 12:13 (531 days ago) @ bryan newman

But happy to see others doing well. Wish I could be that lucky.

🥺

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 14, 2022, 14:40 (531 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

But happy to see others doing well. Wish I could be that lucky.

Hey sorry to hear, glad you're here and don't hesitate to reach out. I really enjoyed running Avarice with ya and look forward to other FTB events with ya.

🥺

by Anna Komnene, Saturday, October 15, 2022, 07:19 (530 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Thanks! Can't wait to play something else with you too! Every major decision I've ever made career-wise hasn't worked out, and I don't know why. Just feels like I'm perpetually unlucky. Hope something changes soon.

🥺

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 17, 2022, 09:21 (528 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Sorry to hear about your setback. If you need help with a resume/cover letter, I used to write those in a former life.

🥺

by Anna Komnene, Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:43 (528 days ago) @ Kermit

Thanks! I will. Sadly, it's not the resume and cover letter that are holding me back.

🥺

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 17, 2022, 12:37 (528 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Thanks! I will. Sadly, it's not the resume and cover letter that are holding me back.

Ah, well, I'll join kidtsunami in asking you not to hesitate reaching out if you need a sounding board or anything.

🥺

by Anna Komnene, Monday, October 17, 2022, 13:34 (528 days ago) @ Kermit

Thanks so much!!!

How’s life?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, October 14, 2022, 16:06 (531 days ago) @ bryan newman

A handful of ya'll see my videos on FB of me making things go boom. Between engineering in the day and pyrotechnics at night, I dont get a ton of time to get online. I would like to spend some time doing dungeons and raids. This season i have just gotten in enough to do the story quest and it felt like a waste of time.

Happy Birthday btw!!

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Friday, October 14, 2022, 19:03 (531 days ago) @ bluerunner

Love your vids! :)

I haven’t played Destiny since the week D2 came out. Not my cup of tea but I’ll give it a go again soon. Just got a new laptop with a 3080 and I’m eager to get back into gaming. Not a lot of time for it with the kiddos but every now and then I get a bit of gaming in.

I'll do you one better: Why is Life?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, October 15, 2022, 18:37 (530 days ago) @ bryan newman

...lol...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

entropy

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, October 15, 2022, 18:53 (530 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

How’s life?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, October 17, 2022, 08:49 (528 days ago) @ bryan newman

Could be better.

Really, a whole lot better, heh.

Got diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure, and I had to have a defibrillator/pacemaker installed, and then a open heart surgery to have a pump put in after the doctors said I had the heart of a 80 year old. I need to be 225 to be eligible for a heart transplant. I'm at 239 right now, but it's getting harder to lose that remaining 14. Since I'm on a heart pump and blood thinners, I'm now at high risk for low blood pressure/passing out spells, and if I hit my head hard enough, that's a wrap, so I can't work. At least, not skill-less work. And with no job, there's nothing to take my mind off how lonely I've been feeling recently, so I'm trying to introduce myself to the dating scene(jjonahjameson.gif) and taking an online course on how to use Blender, so hopefully I can have a skill in order to work from home.

And unfortunately, we lost Coug in August.

But despite all that, it's good to see familiarity in your lower caps username, and it does bring some warm memories. :-) It would be great to see Nico and Funk again, too. ☺️

Oh yeah, Wu put in emoji support. Hell doth freeze. 🤣

I dunno if you still play D1, but I do. Hop on in sometime!

How’s life?

by Anna Komnene, Monday, October 17, 2022, 08:57 (528 days ago) @ Morpheus

Hope you get that transplant!!! I'm so sorry to hear that.

How’s life?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 17, 2022, 15:19 (528 days ago) @ Morpheus

Could be better.

Really, a whole lot better, heh.

Got diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure, and I had to have a defibrillator/pacemaker installed, and then a open heart surgery to have a pump put in after the doctors said I had the heart of a 80 year old. I need to be 225 to be eligible for a heart transplant. I'm at 239 right now, but it's getting harder to lose that remaining 14. Since I'm on a heart pump and blood thinners, I'm now at high risk for low blood pressure/passing out spells, and if I hit my head hard enough, that's a wrap, so I can't work.

:O :(

At least, not skill-less work. And with no job, there's nothing to take my mind off how lonely I've been feeling recently, so I'm trying to introduce myself to the dating scene(jjonahjameson.gif)

Hey baby! If I touch anything the wrong way, I'll bleed out and die! Wanna get some of this action! :D... lol... sorry -_- My sense of humor. Good luck.

and taking an online course on how to use Blender, so hopefully I can have a skill in order to work from home.

Uhhhhm... well. Blender has been making some real leaps and bounds as of late. It's been really impressive all the things at ones finger tips now, for FREE! Buuuuuuuuut. Unless you're going for gig jobs, I'm not sure you'll be able to find a "job job" with Blender. Depends on where you aim, but there are still too many folks who hear "Blender" and stick their nose in the air. That's not to say taking a course in Blender is all for naught, as the concepts learned can basically be used in any similar modeling program. Modo, C4d, 3dsMax, Maya, and so on. At the end of the day, more or less, the differences are interface and allowance of illegal geo.

There is no bad knowledge here, or rather perhaps I should say useless, and there is SOooo much to know.

If I may make a suggestion, look into drafting A.K.A CAD, such as Onshape, SOLIDWORKS, AutoCAD, and DraftSight. It's a different sort of 3d work, with a different workflow than the aforementioned programs, but if you can get good at it, there is plenty of demand out there.

With all THAT said, for real, it's all an up hill climb. I don't know what you know or don't know, but before you get any deeper in this ocean that necessity has thrown you in, these things are good to know before you get any farther from land, yeah? Again, good luck.

Oh yeah, Wu put in emoji support. Hell doth freeze. 🤣

Yeah. Sure is hell all right. Eh, but at least I can use 𝖋𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖞 𝕗𝕠𝕟𝕥𝕤 ᖴOᖇ 𝔢𝔣𝔣𝔢𝔠𝔱 now.

How’s life?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 17, 2022, 16:36 (528 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

IMHO, Morpheus, I wouldn't expect mainstream dating sites to address your loneliness. Right now you've got some obvious deficits as compared to healthy people, and those sites are literally comparison engines. It's not that people are necessarily mean or superficial; it's just harder to break through in that context. I applaud your effort to connect (it's something we all need), and I recognize you've got some obstacles that might keep you from being out in the world, but speaking as someone who also has obvious deficits compared to "normals," real life is probably the best context to show others what makes you a person who is fun to be with. Just a reading.

A few more thoughts: is there a support group you can join? Is there some group activity you can participate in where you can meet new people (and they can see and hear you)?

I'm struggling with weight right now, too. (The lockdown was bad for me.) The stakes aren't as high as yours, but it's a similar dynamic. In my struggle I keep realizing how much of a mental game it is. I keep thinking there's gotta be a way to lose the weight and still eat the crap I like (for me, it's chocolate). Unfortunately, I don't think there is. I keep thinking I can have such and such in the house, and I'll have it only occasionally. I know what to do, after all. Unfortunately, knowing isn't enough. I cheat because I make it easy to cheat. I'm talking to us both now: find a specific goal that motivates you. Realize you're going to have to give up [thing you love] for a while in the service of that goal (the timeframe should be specific--e.g., I'll eat whatever I want on Thanksgiving). Make it hard to access the [thing you love] that isn't helping you get to that goal. These are just words. Typing is easy. What we're trying to do isn't that easy, but it's doable. Good luck, and keep me posted.

How’s life?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, October 17, 2022, 21:21 (528 days ago) @ Kermit

IMHO, Morpheus, I wouldn't expect mainstream dating sites to address your loneliness. Right now you've got some obvious deficits as compared to healthy people, and those sites are literally comparison engines. It's not that people are necessarily mean or superficial; it's just harder to break through in that context. I applaud your effort to connect (it's something we all need), and I recognize you've got some obstacles that might keep you from being out in the world, but speaking as someone who also has obvious deficits compared to "normals," real life is probably the best context to show others what makes you a person who is fun to be with. Just a reading.

A few more thoughts: is there a support group you can join? Is there some group activity you can participate in where you can meet new people (and they can see and hear you)?

There is a virtual support group I'm in for heart patients, but as you can guess, all the members are in their 60's up. Not that I'm not open to possibilities, but they're all married for decades with kids that are almost as old as I am.

There's also a weight loss support group, but I am literally—and I do mean literally—the only one there.

There are a few Meetup groups in my area, but most of them are for business or ESL. The only one that really applies to me is a card game Meetup. Again, all long-married elders.

It's....definitely uphill.

Also, I think something's wrong with my e-mail, I haven't gotten any notifications from these responses today.

How’s life?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 07:37 (527 days ago) @ Morpheus

There is a virtual support group I'm in for heart patients, but as you can guess, all the members are in their 60's up. Not that I'm not open to possibilities, but they're all married for decades with kids that are almost as old as I am.

There's also a weight loss support group, but I am literally—and I do mean literally—the only one there.

There are a few Meetup groups in my area, but most of them are for business or ESL. The only one that really applies to me is a card game Meetup. Again, all long-married elders.

It's....definitely uphill.

Also, I think something's wrong with my e-mail, I haven't gotten any notifications from these responses today.

I don't remember precisely where you live, but maybe tell the people in your heart group that you of course appreciate them, but you're also looking more interaction with your peers, and ask if they have any suggestions for meetups or volunteer opportunities that their children are involved in. I'm sure it's a drag only interacting with 60-somethings. The horror, the horror.

How’s life?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, October 22, 2022, 21:33 (523 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm sure it's a drag only interacting with 60-somethings. The horror, the horror.

Really, the card game group is super fun to be with! They're accepting and friendly, and we get to talk trash while we play Phase 10. It's definitely something I look forward to each month! That's the only drawback though, that they only meet once per month. I'm looking for something more regular, and maybe more personal. I think I'll ask the support group about it next Thursday, see what they say.

Yeah, no... not you. :(

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 08:30 (527 days ago) @ Morpheus

Just checked; there are a few messages in the outgoing queue. Log says "Deferred: 421 4.7.0 [TSS04] Messages from 52.117.241.44 temporarily deferred due to unexpected volume or user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see https://postmaster.yahooinc.com/error-codes"

The rest of the stuff is outgoing 'Welcome to the forum!' messages... so some bot is signing up random addresses, and eventually enough people complained that Yahoo has put the server on restriction. This just means that the legit messages (apparently all to you) actually exacerbate the problem. :(

tl;dr - your email is fine, my server's been blocked for a bit.

Yeah, no... not you. :(

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 13:01 (527 days ago) @ Claude Errera

tl;dr - your email is fine, my server's been blocked for a bit.

Drink more water and switch to a high fiber diet.

How’s life?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, October 17, 2022, 19:42 (528 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If I may make a suggestion, look into drafting A.K.A CAD, such as Onshape, SOLIDWORKS, AutoCAD, and DraftSight. It's a different sort of 3d work, with a different workflow than the aforementioned programs, but if you can get good at it, there is plenty of demand out there.

This is sound advice. It's tough finding people with good solidworks skills. I've even made some side money modeling and creating prints for startups, and I'm not that good.

How’s life?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, October 17, 2022, 20:52 (528 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Hey baby! If I touch anything the wrong way, I'll bleed out and die! Wanna get some of this action! :D... lol... sorry -_- My sense of humor. Good luck.

No worries, I got a good laugh! Honestly humor helps especially with my situation. My pump has to be connected to two batteries at all times, so whenever I'm out I wear a vest that holds them conveniently, it effectively looks like this: https://lvadgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/adj4-1-297x300.jpg

So yeah, I sit there thinking to myself "Oh god, can you imagine some fat insecure misshapen sweaty splotched blob, naked hovering over your body, wearing a mesh vest clacking around with two large metal and plastic batteries—or worse, having them just sitting awkwardly somewhere close by on the bed—with a rubber tube sticking out of a HOLE in their stomach as he huffs and grunts on top of you?!"

I mean good lord, it's making ME nauseous, and I'm the one trying to make it happen! 🤢

The women in my family have always said that there's someone out there for everyone. Who knows, maybe they'll be an LVAD patient, too. 😅

as the concepts learned can basically be used in any similar modeling program. Modo, C4d, 3dsMax, Maya, A.K.A CAD, such as Onshape, SOLIDWORKS, AutoCAD, and DraftSight.

Uhhhhh.......

With all THAT said, for real, it's all an up hill climb. I don't know what you know or don't know, but before you get any deeper in this ocean that necessity has thrown you in, these things are good to know before you get any farther from land, yeah? Again, good luck.

Absolutely nothing. But it seems like everyone is self-taught nowadays...But thanks!

How’s life?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 11:29 (527 days ago) @ Morpheus

as the concepts learned can basically be used in any similar modeling program. Modo, C4d, 3dsMax, Maya, A.K.A CAD, such as Onshape, SOLIDWORKS, AutoCAD, and DraftSight.

Your edit to my quote (the "A.K.A") is incorrect. As I mentioned, the workflows are entirely different. To start.

Absolutely nothing. But it seems like everyone is self-taught nowadays...But thanks!

Uhhhhh.......

ah.

...man it would have been real nice if Kahzgul was still around here to back me up and check my thoughts...

...so what I am about to say is entirely on the basis of, as you've mentioned, the need to figure out... well, a whole reinvention of your professional self. Like, sheesh. That alone is alot. So, know that I do not mean to discourage, only warn. There is an ocean, both vast and ever changing, of stuff to know in this space. What I can say is, if you do not take the VERY WISE ADVICE (if I may be so bold to say so) of shifting your pursuits into the 3d Drafting side of things, and you instead push through on the far more Media centric side of things (which is what Blender does), then you shall be endeavoring on a much wider kaleidoscope of things to learn. An ecosystem of tools and skills to know.

It will NOT just be Blender.

What else would it be? Well, the particulars depend on what the goal is of what you are trying to make. Yet, even that may be too far to ask about as you're greener then grass. You probably don't even know that, short a hope and an idea. ...been there, done that.

I'm tell'n ya man. You can hardly yet fathom how deep this goes, and I don't think it can be done so casually. Seeing as you're sitting on bedrock and looking up into this infinite unknown, oof, you're probably going to need climbing shoes for this one brother. Self-learning wise, if you make it your lifes purpose, 12 hours a day (half to learn and half to do), and you frequent the appropriate forums, you might be able to pull off something of a vast knowledge in a years time. Ball park. Again, presuming you're trying to gain these skills and know-how for profit, and so time is money.

Heed the advice and warnings brother. Again, good luck.

How’s life?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, October 19, 2022, 14:21 (526 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It's...already a lot to take in, heh...

I heard the name 3DSMax in passing, maybe once. Everything else I have no idea what you said. lol

So I'm obviously going to have to do some googling...

But yeah, to be honest I only picked up Blender because it's free like you stated. I have no clue about "drafting" or anything of that nature,so it's all very daunting. I'll look into this drafting business and see if that's something I can do.

How’s life?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, October 19, 2022, 17:26 (526 days ago) @ Morpheus

It's...already a lot to take in, heh...

I heard the name 3DSMax in passing, maybe once. Everything else I have no idea what you said. lol

So I'm obviously going to have to do some googling...

But yeah, to be honest I only picked up Blender because it's free like you stated. I have no clue about "drafting" or anything of that nature,so it's all very daunting. I'll look into this drafting business and see if that's something I can do.

Yeah. ...yeah. Poke at it a day at a time, and don't try to eat the whole thing at once.

https://www.sketchup.com/

Look around your room. How many cubes do you see? Or compound shapes of cubes? If you can do that, you can jump, and the rest is figuring out the interface. Yes, I'm being very simplistic, but it all really is just the jest of that. It's all just another mode of thinking.

Just don't screw up your tolerances, and nobody dies 'cause you made a screw head .5 smaller than it should have been. ;D (Why am I like this? lol.)

Good Call!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, October 22, 2022, 21:15 (523 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'll definitely check the Sketchup website, thanks!

Funny thing about the cubes, I'm in a GameDev online course thingy, and my current homework assignment is to create three household objects in Blender, and they say that cubes are a good jumping off point. In fact, they even said like you; to just pick something you see in the room. So far, I've picked my Xbox, a TV and a computer desk(it's all rectangles and squares).

But good looking out, and thanks for the advice!

How’s life?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 13:15 (527 days ago) @ Morpheus

Ditch the vest and get you a nice chest rig for that tacticool drip.

That Had Me Roaring, Thank You!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, October 19, 2022, 11:38 (526 days ago) @ bluerunner

I could play it off as important military gear, the ladies will like that! ;-)

How’s life?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:03 (528 days ago) @ bryan newman
edited by Kermit, Monday, October 17, 2022, 11:09

How have y’all been?

Fantastic to hear. I miss seeing pics of you and your lovely family (send me a few if you will).

I'm still quite a bit older than you. Trying to keep my health while the world goes insane. It's getting a little tougher, but I'm hanging in there.

Still game, still get into arguments with Cody--just not as often as I used to. Still love Bungie, but our relationship status is complicated.

Miss seeing you.

Kerm

P.S. We'll always have that Last of Us demo.

How’s life?

by FyreWulff, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 03:24 (525 days ago) @ bryan newman

Trying to get a game released on Steam.

Trying to figure out if I want to go fully into pharmacy and finish earning my pharmacy license as a pharmacy tech or try to get back into full time game development.

Strangely, the pharmacy might be winning.

How’s life?

by Avateur @, Sunday, October 23, 2022, 17:39 (522 days ago) @ bryan newman

How have y’all been?

Hey hey, glad to hear things are going well! There have been some bumps in the road, but things are going pretty well as a whole over here also.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread