Credible rumors of a new Marathon Game (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 11:41 (546 days ago)

Hello DBO, Long time no post. I saw a couple of tweets, and a follow up from a more credible source that I thought would be interesting to ya'll.

First piece :
https://insider-gaming.com/bungie-to-revive-marathon/

According to sources, Bungie is set to bring back the Marathon series with a new game that will be a 3-man squad extraction-based shooter.

The title is in a pre-alpha state, sources said, but it could be announced at any point given the industry’s competition for talent.

Marathon takes place on a planet that was previously home to a human colony that vanished, with humans (now sparse) using highly-customization cyborgs called “Runners” to gather loot, it was said.

Not familar with the site, however a Giant Bomb writer chimed in a bit later to lend this some credence.

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1583096154941595649

I've heard this as well. I'll have a handful more details on Game Mess Mornings today at 11 a.m. Eastern on http://twitch.tv/giantbomb

Destiny Bulletin helpfully summarized that here,

https://twitter.com/DestinyBulletn/status/1583129904169635841?cxt=HHwWgsCitdKQtPgrAAAA

- project started in partnership with NetEase
- very Tarkov-like
- big focus on "no load times, very minimal queue times"
- likely free-to-play live service
- highly customizable character
- authentic Bungie FPS experience

I'm sure a marathon revival that isn't a story based shooter will be controversial, but given the quality of Destiny storytelling in a live game setting over the last year I'm very willing to give it a shot.

Credible rumors of a new Marathon Game

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 11:57 (546 days ago) @ electricpirate
edited by Kermit, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 12:35

This doesn't sound sound as much like a Marathon revival as a new game with a Marathon badge to generate buzz.

We shall see.

by electricpirate @, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 12:17 (546 days ago) @ Kermit

This doesn't sound sound so much a Marathon revival as a new game with a Marathon badge to generate buzz.

We shall see.

Given the age of marathon it's an interesting question of what that constitutes? For me I think the feeling of mystery, the story, the exploration are kind of the key to marathon to me. I have a feeling that list is going to vary widely person to person.

Also: If Bungie wanted some Juice I'm not sure if Marathon helps *that much* I'm sure there's a bunch of us olds who fondly remember it, but the bungie name itself probably does more than the name marathon at this point.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 12:33 (546 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm sure there's a bunch of us olds who fondly remember it, but the bungie name itself probably does more than the name marathon at this point.

Olds? OLDS? How dare you! Okay, okay, that was 12 years ago, maybe you're old now.

by electricpirate @, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 12:40 (546 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by electricpirate, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 12:54

12 years 2 kids, 40 lbs and a whole bunch of aches and pains later :p. I hit 40 in about 6 weeks. Weee.

WE'RE NOT ALL NUMBERS, YOU KNOW

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 12:58 (546 days ago) @ electricpirate

Okay, yes we are. But shit, I don't want to be old. :(

by electricpirate @, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 13:00 (546 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Realistically, I've been a grumpy old man since my mid 20s.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 13:03 (546 days ago) @ electricpirate

Realistically, I've been a grumpy old man since my mid 20s.

This is the correct way to inhabit the world.

DBO: You ARE your view count.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, October 20, 2022, 13:20 (546 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by mnemesis, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 16:32 (546 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Okay, yes we are. But shit, I don't want to be old. :(

It's better than the alternative...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 13:08 (546 days ago) @ electricpirate

12 years 2 kids, 40 lbs and a whole bunch of aches and pains later :p. I hit 40 in about 6 weeks. Weee.

40! [This is where I'm supposed to say you're a baby, but you're not.]

It's all relative. Just be sure to enjoy every sandwich, as Mr. Zevon said.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 13:16 (546 days ago) @ Kermit

Hey! I bought this 15 years ago because of that interview!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 21, 2022, 06:43 (545 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I loved the guy. His music, too.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 21, 2022, 08:35 (545 days ago) @ Kermit

I loved the guy. His music, too.

Pretty sure he still holds the record as the only famous musician to use 'brucellosis' in a rock song.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 13:02 (546 days ago) @ electricpirate
edited by Robot Chickens, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 13:07

This doesn't sound sound so much a Marathon revival as a new game with a Marathon badge to generate buzz.

We shall see.

Given the age of marathon it's an interesting question of what that constitutes? For me I think the feeling of mystery, the story, the exploration are kind of the key to marathon to me. I have a feeling that list is going to vary widely person to person.

Also: If Bungie wanted some Juice I'm not sure if Marathon helps *that much* I'm sure there's a bunch of us olds who fondly remember it, but the bungie name itself probably does more than the name marathon at this point.

Now I want them to make a Sims game based around the life of BoBs. Slap a Marathon Skin on everything and build a forever home in a carved-out asteroid while fending off the occasional Pfhor attack. Oops I accidentally married a Simulacrum.

by electricpirate @, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 13:14 (546 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

We shall see.

Now I want them to make a Sims game based around the life of BoBs. Slap a Marathon Skin on everything and build a forever home in a carved-out asteroid while fending off the occasional Pfhor attack. Oops I accidentally married a Simulacrum.

Sure would be a hell of a reception!

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, October 20, 2022, 11:58 (546 days ago) @ electricpirate

*cough*bullshit*cough*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 14:50 (546 days ago) @ electricpirate

https://twitter.com/DestinyBulletn/status/1583129904169635841?cxt=HHwWgsCitdKQtPgrAAAA

- project started in partnership with NetEase
- very Tarkov-like
- big focus on "no load times, very minimal queue times"
- likely free-to-play live service
- authentic Bungie FPS experience

I hate everything about this. Trying really hard not to judge until it's fully realized, but this sounds awful.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 16:27 (546 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think it’s okay to pre-judge. Not the quality, necessarily, just whether you want to play it or not.

Even as someone who loves Destiny still, this is disappointing. This is what Bungie does now. The days of good Bungie single player shooters are well and truly dead.

I'm shocked.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, October 21, 2022, 05:42 (545 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I'm shocked.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 22, 2022, 23:29 (544 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, October 22, 2022, 23:33

I'll be shocked if the words 'netease' 'live service' and 'free to play' ever actually result in something good.

But even if it was a normal non artistically compromised game, I'm just really curious how Marathon could be anything but in name only given the advancement of FPS games. Honestly, pretty much everything about the Marathon experience just would not fly today. This isn't a jab at it, it's just that everything is a product of its time and the then current tech. Curious how it will all update and translate into modernity (aside from the games as service, free to play bullshit).

I'm shocked.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 23, 2022, 09:26 (543 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They could turn it into something like Prey. Still not quite Marathon, but the atmosphere and the pacing are sort of there. Stuck on a space station, exploring trying to figure out what’s going on. They’d have to find something new so that they’re not just doing Prey again, I suppose, but I think there are definitely ways to modernize Marathon. Doom and Wolfenstein have both made the transition pretty well.

Seems like a great setting for an extraction shooter but…

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 17:16 (546 days ago) @ electricpirate

I’m so over live shooters. They do nothing for me.

Seems like a great setting for an extraction shooter but…

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Saturday, October 22, 2022, 09:17 (544 days ago) @ bryan newman

Lots of good indie shooters these days that are single player focused!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, October 23, 2022, 11:44 (543 days ago) @ electricpirate

I expect this to go as well as just-about everything else being "updated" these days. Substance with out a soul. It will have the look, and the art might be OH-MY SO-COOL... that's easy enough, easy being ever a relative term. But, the substance that brings the pictures to be worth viewing more than once I expect shall be watered down for a more "modern" audience. Like how last Splinter Cell (published just about a decade ago now ;_;) added an "Assault" game play style to a game known for its stealth mechanics. Ok, so, that might not be the best example, it being a decade old now and all, but... the jest of what I mean is there.

Can't really say much more than this old-man-yells-at-cloud griping. ...well, maybe one more thing.

"Live Service" OR, "how gaming is going to freaking EAT each other".

I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again; "There is only so much time in a day to play a game. Now - everything is...!ONLINE! here & !ALWAYS ON! there." You can't play them all. It's just not possible. "Live games" command too much time of the player to play anything else.

Where does it break? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even IF we all stay in house, even if you could play Destiny & Marathon: Durandals Live Extravaganza Jamboree, would y'all? It's just... ugh.

"Stable Rampancy", indeed.

...Shit... I'm doing it. I'm going to go outside.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread