Remember Destiny… and how much of it ruled? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 07:42 (539 days ago)

Flawless Raider.
First Lighthouse Visit.
The initial sense of Awe
Destroyo getting dropped while we were ringing the bells
Whisper of the Worm
"I won't die the same way twice"
Music of the Spheres
Hawkmoon / Redrix's Claymore
Beating the King's Fall Bosses blind
Thorn in PvP

Even though I don't play… lots stays with me in my memory.

Why the past tense? It still rules.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 08:09 (539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've been playing more with my 8 year old son and it's been fun. He's been looking up how to unlock certain weapons and their catalysts and getting so excited when he gets them. He wants to raid so bad but, he's still a kinderguardian and not ready.

I've still not done a full raid in D2. To make it happen, I would have to leave the house for work, call in sick at work, wait for my wife and kids to leave, then go back home to play, and hope to be done before they come home. Leave the house, and hang out somewhere until quitting time.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 09:13 (539 days ago) @ ManKitten

Past tense because I haven't played it in almost 4 years. I might still rule?

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 09:16 (539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I might still rule?

You’re alright, I guess.

Remember Destiny… and how much of it ruled?

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 08:21 (539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Okay, imagine Blind Raiding. Now imagine it only takes three people and a single evening.

Dungeons are fucking cool. You’ve missed out on the coolest stuff that’s ever happened in Destiny. It still rules, you just haven’t seen it.

+1

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 08:25 (539 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 09:13 (539 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Okay, imagine Blind Raiding. Now imagine it only takes three people and a single evening.

Dungeons are fucking cool. You’ve missed out on the coolest stuff that’s ever happened in Destiny. It still rules, you just haven’t seen it.

I was able to do the first dungeon in Forsaken. And yeah. It was cool.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 09:26 (539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wait...is this breaking news? Did I miss it? You broke your self embargo?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 12:03 (539 days ago) @ ManKitten

Shattered Throne launched on September 28, 2018 - a little more than 4 years ago.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 12:08 (539 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You can’t just say shit like that without warning.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 12:11 (539 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm sorry. It shocked me too, to be honest. But then again... we've spent the last 3 days talking about Halo 2, which launched a few weeks ago, or 18 years ago, depending on how you calculate time.

You just never quit, do you?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 27, 2022, 03:49 (539 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Took out Ghaul, woke up the Traveler, repeatedly make us all feel ancient

;p

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, October 27, 2022, 05:57 (539 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm sorry. It shocked me too, to be honest. But then again... we've spent the last 3 days talking about Halo 2, which launched a few weeks ago, or 18 years ago, depending on how you calculate time.

It's crazy to think that I've been a part of this community for literally half my life.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The further you get, the quicker it goes.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 14:17 (539 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Blame the fact I stopped posting yearly anniversary posts of the day I quit. No wonder you don't know how much time has passed since Forsaken :-p

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 13:38 (539 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Shattered Throne launched on September 28, 2018 - a little more than 4 years ago.

Wait...Cayde has been dead for 4 years!!!????

Just like it was yesterday... because it basically was!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 08:32 (539 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 08:36

It's been a surprisingly good couple of months for Destiny and me.
- Sure, the pirate season story wasn't the end all, be all of videogame storytelling, but I enjoyed it for what it was, enjoyed the characters and family squabble and larger points of what it means to turn from a dark past and work towards a brighter future.

But more than that, Destiny has always been about playing with like-minded players. And I got to do that in a greater quantity than any time in recent memory.

- While far away on a lengthy work trip I bought an Xbox controller and was able to convince my work laptop to play Destiny. This lead to me answering a random call for aid from Kermit and to me getting to play the newest Raid which I had kinda resigned myself to never playing. You know what? Raiding with friends and new faces, all of whom came with good attitudes, was a ton of fun!

- A few weeks later I got the wonderful pleasure and equally wonderful pain of a six straight hour Raid session with Claude and other DBOers. I haven't done one of those since... the Last Wish raid, I guess. There's a joy that comes with playing with friendly voices and working out strategy and listening to "here's how this section works" long winded explanations and trying and failing and failing and failing and failing and a couple of "one more time"s and succeeding well past midnight when just about everyone, myself included, was about ready to keel over.

- Helped a team finish off an Oryx checkpoint a few nights ago. Again, friendly voices, much joking and laughter. A few silly fails. A great time.

Destiny The Game is a solid entertainment platform. Destiny with friends still makes making great memories effortless. So, yeah... I remember when it ruled. It was last weekend! :)

Hope we get to play more!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 27, 2022, 14:23 (538 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 09:17 (539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Flawless Raider.

Solo Flawless Dungeons are the new hotness.

First Lighthouse Visit.

D2 Lighthouse is nice, but I wish it had been a social space, or a more explorable one, at least.

The initial sense of Awe

Maybe I’m weird, but Destiny has never once triggered a sense of awe for me. That said, seeing that Hive god eating power juice inside the pyramid is a heck of a skybox.

Funny how many more individual-focused memories you can make when you actually play with other individuals. Just last night we learned a lot about “Chickens’ Coop”. Many deaths.

Whisper of the Worm

Yeah, discovery of a dungeon was neat, and the “just a little further” nature of the short timer was novel, but Dungeons since have been so much better (except that Shattered Throne one. Ugh).

Raids are still fun, even if they’ve long lost their appeal and unique feeling.

Music of the Spheres

Was never great. There are like two good tracks, the rest is just generic wah wah.
There have been some really cool music since, though. You should have been around for season of the Splicer!

Those were nice, but we’ve since had Mountaintop, Messenger, Recluse, and outside-the-norm weapons and perks that have made the game way more interesting; Chain Reaction on a wave frame launcher? Kill Clip on a bow? Voltshot on a Sniper? The sandbox is the best it’s ever been. Look no further than the streamers crying about how their HC+Shotgun combo isn’t destroying everyone like it used to be since there are tons of options against it now.

Again, Dungeons take that, make it more intimate, and you have to be far more involved with the mechanics than in a raid, where you may never interact with another’s role.
Duality may have been the best dungeon in Destiny so far, and definitely more satisfying than a raid.

Thorn in PvP

Bawlz Build. That’s all I have to say about that.

Shake a fist at the clouds all you want, man, but the memories and great times keep coming with this game.
You’re missing out.

Hell yeah

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 10:33 (539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Flawless Raider.
First Lighthouse Visit.
The initial sense of Awe
Whisper of the Worm
Music of the Spheres
Thorn in PvP

I don't have much to add beyond what everyone else has said. Current day D2 is light years ahead of Destiny of days long gone.

And It Goes Both Ways!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, October 27, 2022, 07:47 (538 days ago) @ Cody Miller

First off, yes—what everybody else has said.

Second, everyone else is missing out, too. ;-)

I'm quite possibly the last person here still playing D1, and I play it religiously.
You Destiny 2 punks talk about Cody missing out...just the other week, D1 had Grenade Nirvana.

Every single endgame activity—Daily Heroic Story, Weekly Heroic Strike, Weekly Nightfall, Challenge of the Elders, and Mayhem Crucible, ALL of them—had Catapult on. Shaxx was probably pissin' his pants. XD

But yes, D2 and D1 are still rockin' pretty good.

Have you tried out Arc Crystals with Catapult?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 27, 2022, 08:34 (538 days ago) @ Morpheus

Arc 3.0 goes brrrrrr

Have you tried out Arc Crystals with Catapult?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, October 27, 2022, 15:50 (538 days ago) @ ZackDark

Unfortunately I left before Arc 3.0, but what I did do...

I used to put on Empowering Rift, Getaway Artist and Arc Soul—THAT was 'Arc 2.0 go brr' 😂

After that though, I switched to normal, healing, and Crown of Tempests...god, I was unstoppable. I swore never to make a Destiny montage, but if I ever did, I'd have enough Arc Conductor clips to make a Destiny 2 sex tape.

.....I'm sorry.

And It Goes Both Ways!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 27, 2022, 14:37 (538 days ago) @ Morpheus

First off, yes—what everybody else has said.

Second, everyone else is missing out, too. ;-)

I'm quite possibly the last person here still playing D1, and I play it religiously.
You Destiny 2 punks talk about Cody missing out...just the other week, D1 had Grenade Nirvana.

Every single endgame activity—Daily Heroic Story, Weekly Heroic Strike, Weekly Nightfall, Challenge of the Elders, and Mayhem Crucible, ALL of them—had Catapult on. Shaxx was probably pissin' his pants. XD

But yes, D2 and D1 are still rockin' pretty good.

I played D1 a night or two ago. Don't know what prompted me. I haven't woken up my titan on D2, and just decided to visit some places that are gone. I thought I was just sight-seeing, then I ended up doing some quest in an area of the Black Garden that got me No Time to Explain. It was kind of tough. I never seen so many Minotaurs together in one place. Yet I vaguely remember doing this before. I think I had help. This time I stuck it out.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread