Really disappointed with the Strand Titan subclass (Destiny)

by Anna Komnene, Tuesday, February 07, 2023, 13:50 (416 days ago)

Another roaming super is definitely not what I wanted. Destiny Reddit is in an uproar about it.

On the other hand, Warlock and Hunter are lookin' cool

Really disappointed with the Strand Titan subclass

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, February 07, 2023, 17:28 (415 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Seriously, it looks like someone watched Captain America and we got the void super, then they saw Infinity War and gave us the little arm shields he had.

They came up with a really cool new super for warlocks, kinda new for hunters (how much different is it from arc staff?), and just ran out of steam (or time) for titans.

The Strand Subclasses

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, February 07, 2023, 19:00 (415 days ago) @ Anna Komnene
edited by INSANEdrive, Tuesday, February 07, 2023, 19:04

Finally.

For the longest time I've been, well... I think y'all may have seen that I've not been all that plused in what has been seen to entice the hold outs (like me) to throw down the cash for the Lightfall expansion. And after seeing the Weapons trailer the other day, which I'd describe as BLAH for me, I was thinking that my heart might just be totally spent on Destiny.

This trailer has successfully de-fibrillated my fandom heart.

And so...

So then... first things first. The Warlock.

I mentioned recently that one of the things I've been writing up is "A Deeper explanation in my thoughts upon Warlock Gameplay". Did not mention this then, but one of the reasons why I have yet to post it here is because in my current draft I dedicate A WHOLE BUNCH of words to HOW IMPORTANT it is to both comprehend the art of animation (to understand why I think as I do) and why First Person hand animations are so pivotal to Warlock "feel". And how it became this way. I really dig into the art of animation, what it is I am seeing, as I can only presume that most of us here only have a even a most casual, consumptive glance to it. And so I really push in as needed for later contexts. But I've done it SO MUCH so, that I've been concerned that the amount of words I gave to the subject would be distraction to the main point and reason I bring it all up at all.

Work in Progress.

Animation is, much as a Warlock kit should be, Magic.

The ability to, if done correctly, make with any form of ANY shape and give into it "life", is as Warlock as we can actually get in this real. You get to ask questions like, how would a candlestick move? How would it walk? How would it jump? And despite how unusual and benign to the point of nonsense such questions seem, the ability to answer such questions as these can bring forth the illusion of "feel". And while not in a vacuum, as sound has a BIG part to play too, sound is (I think) far more intermodal, to where Animation brings... focus.

And so, with that said, guess how I felt when I saw in this trailer the... Oh, how shall I call it? The... "Scarlet Witch wibbley-wobbley fingers" from the Warlock portion? Wellwell, WELLY well well well.

Gentlemen you had my curiosity ... but NOW! You have my attention.

As for the rest?

Hunter right now is giving me a "ranged" Arcstrider Vibe. So...uh, if you've read any of my posts with some amount of frequency, you know that means I'm thinking I'm going to hate it. Obviously.

And Titan? Honestly?... I'm getting sonic vibes. Knuckles game-play to be specific. It's the speedy auto-aim punches. I'm... quite sure I've seen that in a sonic game, game cube maybe. So yeah.

So that on top of all the chatter... I'll admit, I'm intrigued.

Finally.

Counterpoint

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 08, 2023, 07:38 (415 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

It sounds like Titan's Strand will be about support (kind of like Sentinels are). I`d greatly appreciate if a Titan in my team is severing and locking everything in the room before I come in with my crazy Hunter hijinks., especially if they gave me more armor.

Counterpoint

by Anna Komnene, Wednesday, February 08, 2023, 16:48 (414 days ago) @ ZackDark

I kinda see that, but surely there are more creative ways to, well, do that, right? Instead of being something melee based? I mean, the light attack for the super is basically the default melee option!

Where is my axe? And one that I can recall? That'd be so cool.

Yeah, I agree with that

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 08, 2023, 18:05 (414 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Shields and hammers were damn good, about time y'all get another throwable

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 08, 2023, 13:02 (415 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Another roaming super is definitely not what I wanted. Destiny Reddit is in an uproar about it.

On the other hand, Warlock and Hunter are lookin' cool

Not just a roaming super, but another punch-centric one. I wish they'd lean into the crazy number of things you can do with the "Tank fantasy" with Titans. But in their eyes all tanks are close-range DPS with <30m CC utility, whether that's Supression, Blinding, or lifting enemies in the air, it's all the exact same ability in different colors. I sleep.

Nothing about Strand has enticed me in the slightest, and outside of the inevitable imbalance it will cause in PvP for its first few months, I doubt there will be anything to justify its existence among the existing subclasses. Destiny 2 just isn't designed with the synergy you'd find in deeper MMO/RPGs.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 08, 2023, 14:29 (415 days ago) @ Korny

I would have much rather seen them work towards elemental interactions than a new subclass. It’ll never happen, of course, but it’d make for a far more interesting game. Strand seems fine, neat even, but it’s doesn’t look to be doing much new (outside of the grapple, obviously). It looks like it leans into crowd control. That’s great, but we don’t need stasis but green with some weaken and suppression mixed in.

I’m not as down on it as that all makes it seem, but they could be do something much more interesting than just adding a new element.

The thing Strand has going for it.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, February 08, 2023, 14:42 (415 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I would have much rather seen them work towards elemental interactions than a new subclass. It’ll never happen, of course, but it’d make for a far more interesting game. Strand seems fine, neat even, but it’s doesn’t look to be doing much new (outside of the grapple, obviously). It looks like it leans into crowd control. That’s great, but we don’t need stasis but green with some weaken and suppression mixed in.

I’m not as down on it as that all makes it seem, but they could be do something much more interesting than just adding a new element.

Based on all the interviews, Strand is much more of a "Team Work" stasis. It's the reason why Warmind Calls are being removed, as that loop has now been re-purposed into various bits of Strand class play. Otherwise, I'd agree it sure looks like more of the same on the surface of it. Really curious to see how Strand plays with everything else too, as... if it IS much more of "Team Work" emphasis, what happens if you're the only person running it? How can folks play with it then?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread