Valentine's Day Shipping (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 09:49 (408 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 09:52

Ok, now's your chance to ship your favorite Destiny couple. Let's hear who you all think should spend tonight together.

Devrim and Zavala for me. Easy. I don't care if he's married.

Valentine's Day Shipping

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 15:34 (408 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ok, now's your chance to ship your favorite Destiny couple. Let's hear who you all think should spend tonight together.

Devrim and Zavala for me. Easy. I don't care if he's married.

This seems like a decent place to express my displeasure with the new cutscene today. Without any real spoilers, many, many people in the Last City are shown facing a shocking situation... but the ONLY people showing affection towards one another are Saint and Osiris. Not a single other being shown (human, eliksni, or exo) touches anyone near them for comfort.

This makes me sad. :( It tells me that that Saint/Osiris connection is more virtue-signaling than real. :(

Valentine's Day Shipping

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 16:12 (408 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 16:17

That’s a very “No ALL lives matter!” take. Osiris and Saint is literally the only on-screen relationship we’re even aware of that I can recall. Not showing a hetero couple embrace does not make seeing the gay couple embrace virtue signaling. Also, virtue signaling is not inherently bad. Seeing non-hetero couples on screen benefits from being normalized in a way traditional couples don’t, so it is arguably important to see them in that regard. How much impact seeing it in Destiny has (or how much value we should put on that over just good storytelling is an entirely different discussion I’m not all that interested in having).

Aside from also seeing Anna and Elsie embrace, there’s literally a pair of humans in the exact same shot as Osiris and Saint. It’s not an arm on the back, but it is absolutely reaching out for comfort in some way. How nitpicky are we being here?

This is an odd take, I gotta say.

Valentine's Day Shipping

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 16:18 (408 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That’s a very “No ALL lives matter!” take. Osiris and Saint is literally the only on-screen relationship we’re even aware of that I can recall. Not showing a hetero couple embrace does not make seeing the gay couple embrace virtue signaling. Also, virtue signaling is not inherently bad. Seeing non-hetero couples on screen benefits from being normalized in a way traditional couples don’t, so it is arguably important to see them in that regard.

Aside from also seeing Anna and Elsie embrace, there’s literally a pair of humans in the exact same shot as Osiris and Saint. It’s not an arm on the back, but it is absolutely reaching out for comfort in some way. How nitpicky are we being here?

This is an odd take, I gotta say.

I was specifically talking about the group scene - Anna and Elsie were not in that. I found it really odd that nobody, NOBODY, other than Saint and Osiris, touched another being during that moment. Like... really odd.

So odd that the fact that Osiris and Saint touched struck me as out of place.

I don't ever think I've seen a scene, real or fictional, with a backdrop like this (major world-changing event that large numbers of people are experiencing together) where nobody reached for the comfort of human touch. Ever.

Maybe an odd take - but the fact that they managed to connect those two while completely forgetting to connect ANYONE ELSE struck me as weird.

I wasn't suggesting that they needed to show a hetero couple. I was suggesting that they needed to show SOME human (or Eliksni, I guess) contact to not rip me out of whatever immersion I had been experiencing.

Valentine's Day Shipping

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 16:23 (408 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 16:47

Okay, that I can understand, and even agree with. I chalk that up to Bungie honestly kinda sucking at this. “This” meaning character interactions in general, especially in cutscenes. This is the same company that wasted time making the cutscene from earlier this season in which Ana gives a supposedly impassioned speech to what might as well be cardboard cutouts in Zavala’s office.

For what it’s worth, Saint and Osiris’s relationship has always felt out of place in the way that it’s almost entirely unconvincing. But, again, I kinda just chalk that up to Bungie not really knowing how to write convincing, genuine characters just in general.

Edit: I just rewatched it. It’s literally in the same shot, and it’s even more of a comforting touch than I first thought.

Valentine's Day Shipping

by Anna Komnene, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 19:01 (408 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I was specifically talking about the group scene - Anna and Elsie were not in that. I found it really odd that nobody, NOBODY, other than Saint and Osiris, touched another being during that moment. Like... really odd.

=

Hm? There were people touching in that scene. Right here, at this time stamp, in front of Saint and Osiris: https://youtu.be/NbMH7xMTN9I?t=33

Valentine's Day Shipping

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 21:44 (408 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

=

Hm? There were people touching in that scene. Right here, at this time stamp, in front of Saint and Osiris: https://youtu.be/NbMH7xMTN9I?t=33

Wow. I watched that half a dozen times. Missed that every time. Thanks.

Valentine's Day Shipping

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 06:35 (407 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My Awoken Warlock and his human Hunter bride, of course. They've been married for many years, and although interspecies relationships have become more common in the city, they're comfortable keeping it secret for now. They decided to put their Exo Titan teenage daughter, rebellious and careless, into sleep mode during the Red War. This decision was the outcome of the only real argument the couple has ever had. They're still having it.

P.S.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 06:39 (407 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I initially assumed this post was about the fact that some of us are getting our copies of Lightfall now, and I wondered why Cody was posting it. Mine should arrive today.

Eido & Me.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 11:43 (407 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Morpheus, Wednesday, February 15, 2023, 11:49

We're totally made for each other. ;-)

POST EDIT: No, but seriously I never ever thought of the attraction habits of the characters in this game—I guess because I only see them at "work". I know the cookbook said that Ana had a female partner, but that's really all I ever noticed.

Gun to my head, I'd say P.V. and Cayde, since she seemed to be the most amenable to his sillyness...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread