Why you shouldn't give up in Gambit (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 22, 2023, 11:35 (341 days ago)

Yeah, yeah, I know, if you don't PLAY Gambit, you never have to give up. Ha, ha.

I'm not sure what my team was doing here, but I did my best to make sure we didn't lose. As far as I can tell... my actions made the difference between a win and a loss.

Keep going, even when they look like they have it in the bag!

Why you shouldn't give up in Gambit

by squidnh3, Saturday, April 22, 2023, 18:43 (340 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I have also had some good times in Gambit somewhat recently. It can be frustrating sometimes, but it's relatively low stakes so if something stupid happens, on to the next game

....Okay, That Was Pretty Sick.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, April 22, 2023, 18:54 (340 days ago) @ Claude Errera

....even for a Titan. 😜

Gambit may be down a rough path(with it losing Prime and a good what, half of its maps?), but as the experiment it was, I personally think it was a good idea! I enjoy Gambit(unless my team wastes invasions or doesn't play), and even if I didn't, I'd at least show respect towards its unique ambitions.

So yeah, IMO Gambit is a good gametype, and no, people shouldn't give up on it. Neither should Bungie.

btw, out of curiosity, what Rocket Launcher was that? I didn't recognize the frame/sound effects.

Gjallarhorn

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, April 23, 2023, 10:20 (340 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Gjallarhorn

by Robot Chickens, Monday, April 24, 2023, 11:36 (339 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's using the GJNKR skin:

[image]

It's loosely supposed to look like the SPNKR from Halo.

An irresistable purchase for some of us.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 09:48 (338 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Ohhh, That Is Just GJLORIOUS!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 10:01 (338 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Old Man Pants on an Old Dredgen.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 10:05 (338 days ago) @ Morpheus

Let me just hike these up to my chest first.

Gambit may be down a rough path(with it losing Prime and a good what, half of its maps?), but as the experiment it was, I personally think it was a good idea! I enjoy Gambit(unless my team wastes invasions or doesn't play), and even if I didn't, I'd at least show respect towards its unique ambitions.

I don't think there's any "may" about it. Motes sink into the geometry, motes fly off the map, Primevals will often wander off the dias (I think mobile bosses would be a good change, but they clearly didn't intend for that here, the pathing just gets broken, and more often lately than it used to). And that's without mentioning the fact of the three-map shuffle we've been playing since a completely unacceptable number of expansions ago.

I loved Prime, I loved the Reckoning, and everything they were trying to do with it. I think their only mistake was that it was too much too soon, and the audience didn't have the patience to keep at it. I still miss the bridge fight in the Reckoning.

So yeah, IMO Gambit is a good gametype, and no, people shouldn't give up on it. Neither should Bungie.

I couldn't agree more, in fact I think they should lean into it, create larger maps with Sparrows, etc. Lots of mechanics already present in Destiny could be retooled to make it a deeper experience, if that's what they feel it needs. I just don't get the lack of maps, or even patches to address clearly broken things like the sinking motes.

~m

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 10:32 (338 days ago) @ Malagate

I loved Prime, I loved the Reckoning, and everything they were trying to do with it. I think their only mistake was that it was too much too soon, and the audience didn't have the patience to keep at it. I still miss the bridge fight in the Reckoning.

I still haven't forgiven Bungie for teabagging me on that bridge.

Bahaha

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 13:19 (338 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, May 01, 2023, 17:42 (331 days ago) @ Malagate

Oh my god, Prime and Reckoning were some of the greatest times I've ever had...I thought it was so cool that there was a role for everybody, and you could customize your stuff to cater to whatever strengths you wanted. I was a proud Reaper. I took that job seriously, and loved that it still brought value to the team as a whole. And the Reckoning! An endless gauntlet of fun and teamwork, complete with drop-in/drop-out matchmaking, and memorable difficulty! Man, the fun we'd have...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, April 24, 2023, 06:34 (339 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That was sweet. The best part was how the prime ogre saw you coming from across the map and could do nothing about it. Deathsplosion.

Never have given up.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 24, 2023, 10:21 (339 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yes, there's a limit to what you can do as an individual to win (and much you can do to lose), but I've never stopped liking gambit.

Bravo!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 09:50 (338 days ago) @ Claude Errera

At first I thought you were going to speak encouragingly about how you believe Bungie hasn't absolutely abandoned my favorite activity. But plays like you made there are one of the main reasons why I'm still madly in love with it.

To me, giving up midgame is among the top cardinal sins that Gambit players will commit on the regular, right up there with not immediately banking your G-D motes when Drifter says you can summon the Primeval, or losing motes, or not responding to the Invader alarm, or taking longer than 7 seconds to wipe an Envoy.... but I digress. ;)

<3,

~m

Bravo!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 14:29 (338 days ago) @ Malagate

Gambit is a good game mode stuck inside a terrible vehicle for that mode.

The second there are rewards tied to the mode (but not tied to winning, doing well, or even participating in good faith), all hope of it actually providing a good experience went out the window. This is true of everything in Destiny, in general. It’s the reason we saw the emblem matching thing in Trials, and loss farming in Iron Banner. It’s a fundamental problem with Destiny.

That’s before even discussing the fact that Gambit is complex enough to need a team supporting it full time, and it’s been years since it got any real support, meaning it’s a mode that will never live up to its actual potential.

Bravo!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, April 27, 2023, 04:49 (336 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The second there are rewards tied to the mode (but not tied to winning, doing well, or even participating in good faith), all hope of it actually providing a good experience went out the window. This is true of everything in Destiny, in general. It’s the reason we saw the emblem matching thing in Trials, and loss farming in Iron Banner. It’s a fundamental problem with Destiny.

I don't entirely disagree here, but I want to understand your reasoning a bit better.

That’s before even discussing the fact that Gambit is complex enough to need a team supporting it full time, and it’s been years since it got any real support, meaning it’s a mode that will never live up to its actual potential.

And this. So much this. For a few years, I believed that Gambit was going to be a main focus of the live team, since PvP and PvE aspects were at play, but obviously that wasn't true. I'm intensely curious as to how it's regarded internally, since I've never seen Bungie let something as egregious and gametype-breaking as the sinking motes issue persist for this long.

Time will tell, I suppose?

~m

Bravo!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 27, 2023, 04:58 (336 days ago) @ Malagate

I don't entirely disagree here, but I want to understand your reasoning a bit better.

It’s just how Destiny is built. I don’t know that there’s actually a fix for it without just changing the type of game Destiny is. But when you have people playing 3 Gambit matches for their Pinnacle and for no other reason, those people don’t give a shit if they win or lose. Hell, I’ve done it! Or people playing to farm weapons or whatever. Winning doesn’t matter, and intentionally losing is faster than fighting the other team. Destiny is a game built around pushing people to play activities they might not actually want to play, which leads to some of those people not playing in good faith.

Bravo!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 14:42 (338 days ago) @ Malagate

or taking longer than 7 seconds to wipe an Envoy....

This is why I don't play Gambit as often anymore. I cannot fathom how the randos are always taking so long to kill envoys, even when actively trying to.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, April 30, 2023, 09:15 (333 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Thundercrash clutch play is best clutch play.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, May 01, 2023, 09:52 (332 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Played some Gambit over the weekend. My team was getting destroyed. I think we had about 20 motes banked when the other team summoned their prime.

They banked their motes so quickly we couldn't keep up with gathering our own motes and killing the blockers that were draining our bank. By the time they summoned we had free run on our bank and were sending blockers just as quickly. Maybe that was the swing. It came down to the smallest of slivers on the prime deciding the victor and we lost by a hair, but it was still a fun fight to come back.

This ^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 01, 2023, 10:25 (332 days ago) @ ManKitten

... is why I like Gambit. Just when you think all is lost...

When even losses are fun...

by Claude Errera @, Monday, May 01, 2023, 10:49 (332 days ago) @ ManKitten

...you're doing it right. :)

Amen.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, May 01, 2023, 11:48 (332 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread