Apple Gaming (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 05, 2023, 10:58 (297 days ago)

Kojima Announces all future games from Kojima Productions will come to Mac starting with Death Stranding.
Apple announces a game porting kit for developers to easily convert graphics to Metal.
Game mode with reduced latency, and GPU and CPU priority for game code.

Is it enough to get Bungie to make a Mac version of Marathon?

Apple Gaming

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 05, 2023, 16:41 (297 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Kojima Announces all future games from Kojima Productions will come to Mac starting with Death Stranding.
Apple announces a game porting kit for developers to easily convert graphics to Metal.

Wouldn't that be cool?

What didja think of Apple Vision Pro?

Apple Gaming

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 05, 2023, 21:35 (297 days ago) @ Kermit

Wouldn't that be cool?

I think I will enjoy it flopping like the Newton.

Apple Gaming

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 06, 2023, 13:03 (296 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wouldn't that be cool?

Okay, Debbie Downer. (Why would you ENJOY it flopping? I don't even ...)

You could say the Newton flopped (it was actually successful in certain fields), but I don't think we'd have the iPhone without it. I think this is most significant thing they've made since the latter, and it could be just as much of a game changer. I was blown away. During the presentation, I was texting a friend saying things like, "this won't really work unless they fix problem X," and the text would barely get sent before they described how they solved problem X, often in a way I didn't expect.

If I had wads of disposable income, you better believe I'd be playing Death Stranding on it.

Apple Gaming

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 06, 2023, 14:46 (296 days ago) @ Kermit

Wouldn't that be cool?

I think it's tech's insistence on pushing VR and AR even though people just don't seem to want it. The numbers back this up.

The video where that dad is at his daughter's birthday party with the headset on, recording a 3D video through it was just ridiculous enough for me to know nobody would wear this during important events.

The following is just my opinion, but none of this is going to really catch on until we get either holodeck or matrix jacking. Nobody wants to wear this shit. You can't even get people to wear cheap, light, plastic glasses for 3D movies, which is why 3D TVs died.

Apple Gaming

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 06, 2023, 15:11 (296 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Unlike 3D glasses for 3D movies, VR isn’t total dogshit.

I’m with you. Wearing those headsets sucks. There are experience that make it worth it, though, at least for moderate stints. It’ll never replace normal gaming on a flat screen because it’s just so damn inconvenient, but it is a cool technology, and it won’t get any better if we just write it off completely, even if I think this particular one looks fucking stupid and would relentlessly make fun of anyone using it as it’s been shown.

Apple Gaming

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 06, 2023, 15:57 (296 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m with you. Wearing those headsets sucks. There are experience that make it worth it, though, at least for moderate stints. It’ll never replace normal gaming on a flat screen because it’s just so damn inconvenient, but it is a cool technology, and it won’t get any better if we just write it off completely

VR is, in my opinion, only suitable for games in which your character is stationary. Flight Sims, or Racing Games for example. There's no way current tech works with the ability to move in 3D space. It's why you either have lame-ass teleport mechanics, or something like Golem which traded speed and realism for comfort and control.

There's a reason why Half Life Alyx, the supposed 'best VR game ever made', still has a teleport mechanic, and when you do move you have to walk very very slowly.

Apple Gaming

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 06, 2023, 16:08 (296 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I played Skyrim in VR with a normal controller, and you move just like you always do in Skyrim. Same with No Man’s Sky. It was fine.

Apple Gaming

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 07, 2023, 07:27 (295 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played Skyrim in VR with a normal controller, and you move just like you always do in Skyrim. Same with No Man’s Sky. It was fine.

For many people it is not.

For me, the minute I touch a controller to move is when I get sick. It's common enough that developers cannot make fast paced FPS games.

Apple Gaming

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 06, 2023, 17:21 (296 days ago) @ Cody Miller

VR is, in my opinion, only suitable for games in which your character is stationary.
There's a reason why Half Life Alyx, the supposed 'best VR game ever made'

huh?

Apple Gaming

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 07, 2023, 07:27 (295 days ago) @ kidtsunami

VR is, in my opinion, only suitable for games in which your character is stationary.
There's a reason why Half Life Alyx, the supposed 'best VR game ever made'

huh?

Key word highlighted.

Apple Gaming

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 06, 2023, 19:41 (296 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wouldn't that be cool?

I think it's tech's insistence on pushing VR and AR even though people just don't seem to want it. The numbers back this up.

Maybe they don't want it the way they didn't want mp3 players before the iPod. I think they don't want it because up to now they've all failed to live up to the hype. I mean, you might be right, but you could be like all the crackberry dudes who thought a phone without the chicklet keyboard was a crazy idea.

The video where that dad is at his daughter's birthday party with the headset on, recording a 3D video through it was just ridiculous enough for me to know nobody would wear this during important events.

Not really more ridiculous than all the parents with their smart phones recording everything or with their camcorders before that.

The following is just my opinion, but none of this is going to really catch on until we get either holodeck or matrix jacking. Nobody wants to wear this shit. You can't even get people to wear cheap, light, plastic glasses for 3D movies, which is why 3D TVs died.

I'd watch Avatar with it. I've heard one writer say it was better than in the theater. I like going to the movies socially, though, so I'm not a fan of tech that is potentially contributing to our isolation from other people.

Apple Gaming

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 07, 2023, 07:33 (295 days ago) @ Kermit

I'd watch Avatar with it. I've heard one writer say it was better than in the theater. I like going to the movies socially, though, so I'm not a fan of tech that is potentially contributing to our isolation from other people.

Big reason why it won't catch on widely IMO.

Smartphones are everywhere because there is no barrier. You take it out of your pocket, and in 5 seconds you are texting someone. Then 5 seconds later you can put it away and go back to hanging with people. It connects you, but in real life situations you can disconnect easily and quickly.

Putting on the headset, booting it up, and adjusting it is a commit. You're only doing it by yourself.

Apple Gaming

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 07, 2023, 07:53 (295 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Putting on the headset, booting it up, and adjusting it is a commit. You're only doing it by yourself.

That’s the biggest downside for me. It’s a cool experience, but I max out at about an hour. And that’s not because I’m physically uncomfortable, but rather because I don’t like feeling so completely shut away from the world for much longer than that, even when I’m alone and would just be playing games by myself anyway.

Apple Gaming

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 07, 2023, 08:17 (295 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Big reason why it won't catch on widely IMO.

Smartphones are everywhere because there is no barrier. You take it out of your pocket, and in 5 seconds you are texting someone. Then 5 seconds later you can put it away and go back to hanging with people. It connects you, but in real life situations you can disconnect easily and quickly.

Fair enough, but Apple is pointing a way to it not being a barrier. I'm not saying it's where it needs to be, but when/if it gets to the point where it's like a pair glasses, it won't be a barrier.

Not totally true. May be no more onerous than putting on a hat that is sized for you. And you won't be by yourself, depending on how rich your friends are. :) In all seriousness, what impresses me is the extent they've gone to ameliorate isolation. I'm a tough sell, though. I'd prefer that people leave their phones behind when socializing IRL.

Apple Gaming

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 07, 2023, 08:53 (295 days ago) @ Kermit

I'd prefer that people leave their phones behind when socializing IRL.

Don’t even get me started. I certainly didn’t agree to go to Applebee’s because they make good food, and I can browse reddit more comfortably at home, so what the fuck are we even doing? Its a major pet peeve of mine.

Preach.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 07, 2023, 14:13 (295 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread