FF7 Rebirth (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 08, 2023, 20:12 (293 days ago)

Imagine it's 1997.

You're playing FF7 and you leave Midgar, entering the world map. The whole world is around you and it unfurls. But, it looks like this:

[image]

But that's ok. Your imagination fills in the gaps. You create the world in your mind's eye beyond the crude representation you see. It's amazing and intriguing. Foreign and hostile. It's larger than life.

But what ever lives up to your imagination? What ever ends up better than your wildest dreams?

WELL THIS FUCKIN DOES !!!!! LETS MOSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FF7 Rebirth

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, June 19, 2023, 12:08 (283 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I really liked FF7 Remake, it is one of my top games of the past 5 years.

I haven't been gaming at all lately and I don't have a PS5 so I probably won't play this one for a while, but it looks really good.

I wonder what it is like for first-time players encountering these remakes.

FF7 Rebirth

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 19, 2023, 14:01 (283 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Ask CheapLEY

FF7 Rebirth

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 19, 2023, 14:11 (283 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I've never played the original FF7, and only knew some stuff about it from cultural osmosis.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is one of the best games I've ever played, full stop. Like, it's legitimately probably top five of all time for me, or somewhere thereabouts. I love just about everything about it. The story is great, the characters are fantastic, the combat system is top tier. It's just fantastic.

I'm sure there's stuff I've missed when it comes to the differences in the story due to Sephiroth fucking around with Fate or whatever is even happening. I listened to some podcasts about that specifically, and had to read some story summaries of the original game, but, even without doing that, I think Remake stands on its own (and I can only assume the remake trilogy will stand apart after being complete).

I liked it so much I bought and played Crisis Core Reunion as soon as I finished Remake. I can't wait for Rebirth.

FF7 Rebirth

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 18:36 (276 days ago) @ cheapLEY

the combat system is top tier.

I agree with this. I played FF13 and 13-2 and they got and deserved a lot of the bad-mouthing, but the battle system started to change in some important ways in those games, and the FF7R battle system seemed to be the best outcome of that. I did platinum the game but I had to look up strategies for some of the hardest battles.

I'm sure there's stuff I've missed when it comes to the differences in the story due to Sephiroth fucking around with Fate or whatever is even happening. I listened to some podcasts about that specifically, and had to read some story summaries of the original game, but, even without doing that, I think Remake stands on its own (and I can only assume the remake trilogy will stand apart after being complete).

I think I played FF7 on PC around 1998 or 1999. I didn't really understand the story at the time. I never played it again. (it's really long...)
I played FF7R in the fall of 2020. So in addition to the story being subtly different I had an extra element of fog of memory.

I liked it so much I bought and played Crisis Core Reunion as soon as I finished Remake. I can't wait for Rebirth.

I have never played Crisis Core or CCR. What did you think?

FF7 Rebirth

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 19:25 (276 days ago) @ marmot 1333

the combat system is top tier.

I agree with this. I played FF13 and 13-2 and they got and deserved a lot of the bad-mouthing, but the battle system started to change in some important ways in those games, and the FF7R battle system seemed to be the best outcome of that. I did platinum the game but I had to look up strategies for some of the hardest battles.

I've been thinking about this some lately. I'm playing FF16 right now (it's great!), and it's made the full transition to a straight up action game. I think it's fantastic in that regard--it feels really good. Lots of folks are understandably a bit bummed by the change, though. It has cemented my opinion that FF7 Remake really nailed its combat as a great blend between real time action and the more strategic ability and spell use (and enemy weaknesses to elements, which FF16 doesn't seem to have so far).

I have never played Crisis Core or CCR. What did you think?

I really liked it for what it was. I never did actually finish it. I was very near the end and then got distracted as often happens with me and video games. Rather than go back, I just youtubed the final hour or so of the game that I hadn't gone through yet.

It's an odd little game that is really earnest and lovely. It's goofy and oddly structured, but I enjoyed it. Cody's post sums it up well.

FF7 Remake was the first Final Fantasy game I ever really played. Between it, Crisis Core, and now FF16, I think I'm becoming a fan. Just about everything from FF7 and up is easily available on both Game Pass and Sony's PS equivalent, so I might play some more of them. Cody said 8 is the one to go with, and one of my IRL friends loved 10, so I'll at least try those two.

FF7 Rebirth

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 20:40 (276 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Cody said 8 is the one to go with, and one of my IRL friends loved 10, so I'll at least try those two.

8 is an 'odd duck', but I personally like it. 10 is beloved by many, and often considered one of the better games in the series, but I couldn't stand it and finished it once just through sheer will. So… tastes are tastes.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread