Gameinformer: The Destiny Interview (Destiny)

by Zero @, Florida, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 10:03 (3782 days ago)
edited by Zero, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 10:48

Jason Jones - The Destiny Interview

An interview with Jason Jones on moving on from Halo, world building in Destiny, The Darkness, player progression and more. This was by far the best article yet.

Gameinformer: The Destiny Interview

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 10:53 (3782 days ago) @ Zero

Yep. Really great! One big important story bit was that the Traveler first came and landed on Mars and taught Humanity. The Darkness also gets a mention and it sounds like humanity helped the Traveler fight the Darkness! It is also said that the Darkness is returning and that makes things more urgent!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 13:54 (3782 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yep. Really great! One big important story bit was that the Traveler first came and landed on Mars and taught Humanity. The Darkness also gets a mention and it sounds like humanity helped the Traveler fight the Darkness! It is also said that the Darkness is returning and that makes things more urgent!

Sounds like I already know how to solve that problem! Just give the Child-Like Empress a new name. Bam. Darkness gone. I'm just worried about when I get to the part where I have to look at my true self.

Rideable Falkor confirmed

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 14:00 (3782 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Neverending Story?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 14:50 (3782 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Secret of Mana ... Awesome Game, BTW

by Apirishin, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 16:45 (3782 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 16:54 (3782 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm just worried about when I get to the part where I have to look at my true self.

That's the part where you lose your immortality and shrivel up into dust all "Raiders of the Lost Ark" like, right?

:)

Quests that you can't complete alone?

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 15:58 (3782 days ago) @ Zero

Is that a challenge?

;)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 16:33 (3782 days ago) @ RC

Heh.

I foresee you being defeated not by numbers or superior firepower but by one button on one side of the room and a second that must be pressed at the same time on the other. :)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 16:53 (3782 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Heh.

I foresee you being defeated not by numbers or superior firepower but by one button on one side of the room and a second that must be pressed at the same time on the other. :)

He'll find a way. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 17:49 (3782 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Heh.

If launched grenades don't flip switches, I'll be sad.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 20:49 (3782 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Good FPS games need not avoid being button-pressing simulators.

They just need to ensure that the button-pressing gameplay mechanics are up to par.

by Quirel, Friday, December 13, 2013, 13:26 (3780 days ago) @ uberfoop

Good FPS games need not avoid being button-pressing simulators.

They just need to ensure that the button-pressing gameplay mechanics are up to par.

Compare Marathon to Halo 4.

by Zero @, Florida, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 18:50 (3782 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Unless this button is protected by some kind of space magic superior to our own, then shooting it will work just fine, destroying any chance of hitting it again, but let's not think that far ahead. :)

My thoughts exactly.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 16:51 (3782 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

Surprised so many plot details

by Fuertisimo, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 21:48 (3782 days ago) @ Zero

Seems like an odd place to pull back the curtain on some of the back story. I've been puzzled by the last few months worth of publicity maneuvers though so, I guess I'll just continue being puzzled.

So far as the story goes trying to revive the traveler was an unexpected motivation, at least for me, but I guess it makes sense because it instills some urgency into what the players are doing. I was under the impression with a 10 year lifespan that we wouldn't know what the endgame was for a while but forces of darkness and all that, sure why not. I figured they'd ramp up the drama a bit more slowly.

I like the apocalyptic battle between the "darkness" and the traveler that left it disabled and hovering above earth, but again I kinda thought they'd leave the exact reason why the traveler is hovering there shrouded in mystery for a while. Sort of like how the forerunners were shrouded in mystery, I thought the traveler would be the Destiny equivalent of that. Mysterious shit is cool. I want Joe Statens old job. I could write the shit out of some mysterious stuff. Am I rambling? I'm rambling aren't I. *stretches* Welp, time to hit the old dusty trail.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 22:46 (3782 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

It could be that we know we want to revive the Traveler, but actually doing so is 5+ years away. It's not like we're just going to replace a busted catalyzer and everything will be just fine. I'm really liking the idea that Humanity wasn't so much blindsided during the Collapse but rather they fought and just barely won the battle against the Darkness, and now it is coming back with help for round two!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 23:31 (3782 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Sort of like how the forerunners were shrouded in mystery,

They are? Could have fooled me.

by Quirel, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 23:51 (3782 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think that "were" was the operative word in that sentence.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 20:08 (3781 days ago) @ Quirel

Ding ding, we have a winner.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 13, 2013, 11:04 (3780 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Ding ding, we have a winner.

I feel like these 4 sentences should be required reading for 343 going forward.

Yep.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, December 13, 2013, 11:49 (3780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

We told them this before they did it.

by scarab @, Sunday, December 15, 2013, 13:53 (3778 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It didn't help.

We told them this before they did it.

by Quirel, Sunday, December 15, 2013, 17:44 (3778 days ago) @ scarab

It didn't help.

"Ok, so we got ahold of one of the grandmasters of science fiction, and let him expand upon the Terminals from Halo 3. And that worked out pretty good, all things considering. In fact, it worked out so well, we're going to give it another go."

"Only, instead of taking place when the Forerunner were actually relevant, we'll be introducing Forerunner to the modern timeline. And instead of making sense of the two-Didact confusion, we'll just blithely assume that the fans can understand what's going on. And in place of a talented science fiction writer, we're hiring Brian Reed."

"I feel that this game has the potential to be the best Halo game yet. Are you feeling it?"

by kapowaz, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 03:33 (3781 days ago) @ Zero

An interview with Jason Jones on moving on from Halo, world building in Destiny, The Darkness, player progression and more. This was by far the best article yet.

With the greatest possible respect to the community folks, it's this plain English, addressing readers as adults style of communication that makes Jason Jones' interviews so enjoyable to read. No dressing it up with purple prose; honest about the areas they agonised over getting right, and a lot of really insightful commentary. Great stuff.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread