Tyson Green (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 13, 2013, 17:04 (3780 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, December 13, 2013, 17:07

"If you have a game that people play for 8 hours, or 15 hours, or even like 20 or 30 hours, but then they stop playing, you don't really have time for a community to form around that, or time for friends to stick."

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Hey Tyson, Marathon and Halo did just fine in forming communities and getting people to stick around, despite not having investment systems. Halo / Halo 2 in particular. Why? BECAUSE THEY WERE FUCKING FUN.

Duuuuuhhhhhhhhhh if you want people to stick around MAKE IT SO YOUR GAME IS FUN ENOUGH TO KEEP PLAYING. Forget investment shit. I'm like a manic depressive here. I read Jason Jones' interview and get TOTALLY HYPE for Destiny, only to listen to this shit and be disgusted again.

Investment systems don't make games better. Making a good game makes it better.

Tyson Green

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, December 13, 2013, 17:24 (3780 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, December 13, 2013, 17:30

"If you have a game that people play for 8 hours, or 15 hours, or even like 20 or 30 hours, but then they stop playing, you don't really have time for a community to form around that, or time for friends to stick."

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Hey Tyson, Marathon and Halo did just fine in forming communities and getting people to stick around, despite not having investment systems. Halo / Halo 2 in particular. Why? BECAUSE THEY WERE FUCKING FUN.

Duuuuuhhhhhhhhhh if you want people to stick around MAKE IT SO YOUR GAME IS FUN ENOUGH TO KEEP PLAYING. Forget investment shit. I'm like a manic depressive here. I read Jason Jones' interview and get TOTALLY HYPE for Destiny, only to listen to this shit and be disgusted again.

Heh. I paged you in the other topic. Despite failing to post in the correct place you did not fail to deliver, caps locked profanity and all. :/

I am surprised you admitted actually looking forward to a Bungie game though. :p

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 13, 2013, 17:39 (3780 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I am surprised you admitted actually looking forward to a Bungie game though. :p

Why? I get worked up because I care. Up until recently, Bungie was the best game developer on Earth. The only reason they aren't right now is because they haven't released a game since Vanquish, MGS Rising, and Anarchy Reigns to compete with Platinum :-p

Tyson Green

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, December 13, 2013, 18:06 (3780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why? BECAUSE THEY WERE FUCKING FUN.

Multiplayer, a customisable character, decisions that matter, challenge. Tell me what, out of that list, that doesn't make the game better when done correctly.

You've just got it into your head that because now game developers are designing with invest-ability in mind, that anything that is spawned out of that -even partially- must automatically be irreparably corrupted and objectively make the game worse, for every player.

Mr. Miller, you are wrong.

It's just short hand for a design theory. You can cast many things in the light of 'investment system.' The difficulty badges on the level select screen in Halo 1. The map-specific knowledge you had to acquire to be good at multiplayer. Things players want to attain or get the opportunity to use, they are 'invested' in.

Good design and bad design will still always exist. And I think any 'investment system' you could point to as bad would be bad because it was badly designed and not because it was an investment system.

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 13, 2013, 20:01 (3780 days ago) @ RC

Why? BECAUSE THEY WERE FUCKING FUN.

Multiplayer, a customisable character, decisions that matter, challenge. Tell me what, out of that list, that doesn't make the game better when done correctly.

You need to think of these things in the context of investment systems. When he says you will fail, it's not because you're going to encounter cool situations which you are unprepared for in terms of skill or knowledge, but because your avatar won't be strong enough. This has been confirmed by Game Informer. Which is dumb.

You've just got it into your head that because now game developers are designing with invest-ability in mind, that anything that is spawned out of that -even partially- must automatically be irreparably corrupted and objectively make the game worse, for every player.

Mr. Miller, you are wrong.

It's just short hand for a design theory. You can cast many things in the light of 'investment system.' The difficulty badges on the level select screen in Halo 1. The map-specific knowledge you had to acquire to be good at multiplayer. Things players want to attain or get the opportunity to use, they are 'invested' in.

There is a difference. When you 'invest' yourself in a good game, what you get back manifests itself in your brain and body as increased skill or knowledge. When you 'invest' yourself in games with investment systems, you primarily gain flipped bits on your hard drive or the game server.

A quick test: do you keep it if you were to completely start the game over and wipe all progress? If yes, you're on the right track. If not, you are generally wasting time.

Thus the best 'investment' systems are simply making a really good game people like to play, not one based on rewards.

Tyson Green

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, December 13, 2013, 20:07 (3780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You need to think of these things in the context of investment systems. When he says you will fail, it's not because you're going to encounter cool situations which you are unprepared for in terms of skill or knowledge, but because your avatar won't be strong enough. This has been confirmed by Game Informer. Which is dumb.

They did?

Will skill or knowledge ever play a role in Destiny? Is Destiny just an avatar dress up game? How disappointing!

It's automatically decided according to cody

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, December 13, 2013, 20:36 (3780 days ago) @ Ragashingo

why even play if it's decided in rock, paper, scissors at the beginning of the encounter? This is kind of a ridiculous extrapolation of blocking areas for later with tougher enemies.

Tyson Green

by electricpirate @, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:09 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by electricpirate, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:13

The whole point of that section was the exact opposite, how you will fail because you need to learn these systems and get better. Which is a complement to what Bakken said in the GI article, not a overridden by it. If one were to take your previous arguments seriously thew would expect you to *celebrate* his points.

I would also point out that throughout this interview, he explicitly addresses some of the things you complain abut. The idea of meaningful choice, of not being able to just switch at will, of not making the goal of the game being numbers go up etc etc. But here were are, going around that little merry-go-round in your head again.

Tyson Green

by Dmiller, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 09:12 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cody. Tyson's job is investment. He doesn't handle gameplay. That is my job. I (and others in my group) handle gameplay. We make sure the game is fun. Player Investment and Gameplay compliment each other- they aren't at odds. Just because there is investment doesn't mean there is no gameplay or not a focus on gameplay. We have triple the amount of level and activity designers than any of our Halo games. We have Old school Vets and fresh blood. Our sole focus is building great and memorable encounters- just like we did with Halo.

Tyson Green

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 10:35 (3779 days ago) @ Dmiller

Cody. Tyson's job is investment. He doesn't handle gameplay. That is my job. I (and others in my group) handle gameplay. We make sure the game is fun. Player Investment and Gameplay compliment each other- they aren't at odds. Just because there is investment doesn't mean there is no gameplay or not a focus on gameplay. We have triple the amount of level and activity designers than any of our Halo games. We have Old school Vets and fresh blood. Our sole focus is building great and memorable encounters- just like we did with Halo.

Oh, Dan. You obviously don't understand that the second ANY effort is expended on 'investment' the game goes down the toilet. Silly man.

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 10:56 (3779 days ago) @ Dmiller
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:37

I don't believe that Destiny won't generally be like Halo; I actually think the game system and the possibilities look very cool. I wouldn't keep buying your games if you guys weren't the best at what you do.

BUT.

You are incorrect when you say investment compliments 'gameplay'. In essence, everything you ask your player to do is 'gameplay'. Thus, the systems of investment you ask your players to use or play with, become part of the game. They are kind of the same thing in a way.

THAT is what's worrying. If you guys do have so much more content as you say, then why is an investment system even necessary? Why can't players play the game until they stop having fun? And if you want them playing longer, why not make your game bigger / more challenging so that they have fun longer? The investment system is essentially a way to keep players playing beyond when they otherwise would stop right? Folks stop playing the game when they aren;t having fun, so such systems basically get players to play when they otherwise aren;t having any fun.

Now if they systems of investment themselves are compelling and fun, well then that's just called 'gameplay' isn't it? And that's YOUR job isn't it?

I don't think ANY game has been made better by an investment system. Not a single one. They are perhaps the biggest blunder of modern game design in the last few years.

I will say that my initial post was rude, and so I do apologize for the tone, but not the content. Please do not interpret this as an attack on your person or the studio's efforts, but rather a point made that investment systems are not necessary (and in fact harmful) for a healthy community and lasting experience.

Tyson Green

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:39 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sometimes (and I do concede that such times are VERY rare) I have fun with investment systems.

Maybe this will be one of those times.
Heh, in fact, there was a game which was built AROUND the concept of player investment, something of a satire, and I had quite a good time with it. Let me find it...

*scrambles the internet*

Found it! Linky link.

Tyson Green

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 12:37 (3779 days ago) @ ZackDark

HAHAHA. That game must be what Cody's nightmares are like. ;)

I'd honestly recommend playing through it, though. It's a nice little commentary on upgrade/investment systems (or, at least, the more obnoxious implementations). Make sure to check the "shop" screen once you think you've done everything.

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 12:43 (3779 days ago) @ stabbim

HAHAHA. That game must be what Cody's nightmares are like. ;)

I'd honestly recommend playing through it, though. It's a nice little commentary on upgrade/investment systems (or, at least, the more obnoxious implementations). Make sure to check the "shop" screen once you think you've done everything.

I couldn't be bothered to do everything. The game was boring.

Parody games may make a point, but as games they are bad. What does it say when your satire of bad game design, is itself a bad game? Can movies satirizing movie cliches be good movies? Think about this for a second :-p

Pacific Rim

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 13:34 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Pacific Rim

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 13:48 (3779 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Isn't that the point Cody is trying to make, or did I read his post wrong?

I guess movies can be good or enjoyable, not both

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 13:50 (3779 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 14:06 (3779 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

???

I mean Cody was trying to show how the progression system are bad in a way different from how cliches are "bad"; cliches are something that we criticize but ultimately poke fun at, whereas the progression systems don't even get satirized into good products.

Or at least that's how I read it. Idunno.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 14:32 (3779 days ago) @ uberfoop

???

I mean Cody was trying to show how the progression system are bad in a way different from how cliches are "bad"; cliches are something that we criticize but ultimately poke fun at, whereas the progression systems don't even get satirized into good products.

Correct. You can make a movie full of cliches and satirize that, and still have a good movie. You can't make a game full of bad design decisions, pass it off as satire, and still have a good game.

by electricpirate @, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 18:07 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

???

Correct. You can make a movie full of cliches and satirize that, and still have a good movie. You can't make a game full of bad design decisions, pass it off as satire, and still have a good game.

It's rare, but then again, procedural deconstructions are kind of a thing people are still figuring out. Little inferno does it quite beautifully though. http://store.steampowered.com/app/221260/

And my favorite critique of it! http://www.errantsignal.com/blog/?p=419

I'm not so good with the words it seems

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 22:36 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

thought you were saying the opposite, that any derivative work that is self aware in it's satirizing or use of mannerisms and cliches is on it's own shit. I think games have the same capacity for this, but it's by fact of the medium that it reflects this design to satirize it. Doesn't always turn out good. I did enjoy it in the Deadpool game, but that game was super unpolished.

OSS 117

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 13:50 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Hey!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, December 16, 2013, 05:24 (3777 days ago) @ ZackDark

*scrambles the internet*

Hey! I can't read the internet anymore! Unscramble it! :P

Tyson Green

by electricpirate @, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 18:40 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think ANY game has been made better by an investment system. Not a single one. They are perhaps the biggest blunder of modern game design in the last few years.

I mean, this is where you go off the rails these are all games that rely heavily on player progression for their core design. They are also some of the most beautiful and important games in years.

EVE
Diablo
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
World Of Warcraft

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 16, 2013, 22:58 (3777 days ago) @ electricpirate
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, December 16, 2013, 23:02

I mean, this is where you go off the rails these are all games that rely heavily on player progression for their core design. They are also some of the most beautiful and important games in years.

EVE
Diablo
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
World Of Warcraft

Please read the words I write. I say exactly what I mean.

No game has been made better by investment systems. Does this mean there are no good games that have them? No. These games would be better if designed in such a way that there were no investment systems.

PS. WoW and Diablo are not good games.

Tyson Green

by kapowaz, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 03:33 (3777 days ago) @ Cody Miller

PS. cherry and orange are not good fruits.

Tyson Green

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 05:09 (3776 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by electricpirate, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 05:20

EVE
Diablo
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
World Of Warcraft

Please read the words I write. I say exactly what I mean.

No game has been made better by investment systems. Does this mean there are no good games that have them? No. These games would be better if designed in such a way that there were no investment systems.

EVE
Diablo
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
World Of Warcraft

I'm actually directly answering what you are saying. These games *could not be* what they are without investment systems. If you remove the investment systems the entire core design wold be something else. Dark Souls generates a huge amount of tension by giving you an investment system that can be used as a reward, but that you can lose at any time. EVE battles, scams, and schemes are meaningful because the actual result of hundreds of hours of game play are on the line.

jooo crazy.

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 10:22 (3776 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm actually directly answering what you are saying. These games *could not be* what they are without investment systems. If you remove the investment systems the entire core design wold be something else. Dark Souls generates a huge amount of tension by giving you an investment system that can be used as a reward, but that you can lose at any time. EVE battles, scams, and schemes are meaningful because the actual result of hundreds of hours of game play are on the line.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you. That's absolutely true. Designing these games without investment systems would fundamentally alter their design for sure.

But I'm convinced that the result would end up being better.

Tyson Green

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 12:15 (3776 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you. That's absolutely true. Designing these games without investment systems would fundamentally alter their design for sure.

That seems like a meaningless opinion; you have absolutely no clue what those games would be like if they didn't have investment systems. Because they wouldn't be the games that got released.

It's like saying "I'm convinced my sister would be a better person if she'd been born to different parents."

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 12:36 (3776 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That seems like a meaningless opinion; you have absolutely no clue what those games would be like if they didn't have investment systems. Because they wouldn't be the games that got released.

It's like saying "I'm convinced my sister would be a better person if she'd been born to different parents."

I'm not sure it's so meaningless, because we have the entire history of video games to give us SOME idea of what an investment-less system would look like. I mean, you can see what was trying to be accomplished, and imagine doing that without such a system, using past examples as guidance.

Or, imagining something forward thinking like my save-less RPG / MMO.

Tyson Green

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 17:12 (3776 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm sorry, but a saveless RPG wouldn't be good, IMO.
A saveless FPS, a saveless Adventure game, a saveless racing game, now THOSE could be amazing, using your logic. A saveless RPG would just be too short. Or it would fry out my Xbox (again).

Now, EvE Online would be something like a multiplayer flash game based on Escape Velocity if it hadn't its investment system there. Tiny, limited and devoid of any social interaction other than head-on combat/trading. Because of its investment system, EvE compels you to not only play a lot differently, but also interact with other human players completely differently. After all, EvE not only takes your time, but uses it as leverage. Everything you do is paid for or uses up your time in a level not like anything CoD or LoL will ever be able to (given current trends).

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 17:32 (3776 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 17:37

A saveless FPS, a saveless Adventure game, a saveless racing game, now THOSE could be amazing, using your logic. A saveless RPG would just be too short. Or it would fry out my Xbox (again).

Nope. It could be as long as you wanted. It could be 100 hours+. However it would be played in 30-45 minute chunks:

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=12443

Tyson Green

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 19:03 (3776 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nope. It could be as long as you wanted. It could be 100 hours+. However it would be played in 30-45 minute chunks:

That's what I mean by 'too short'. Especially with RPGs, I want my games to play like a book. Long, in chunks, but with continuity. No fresh starts all the time.

I don't know why I've only remembered this now...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 06:58 (3775 days ago) @ ZackDark

But Majora's Mask is a very similar game to what you describe. Every in-game 72 hours, the playfield is reset. However, since this is a Zelda game, you get to keep the main items (not the ammo, though).

Is that what you're trying to convey? Because while MM was certainly very good, Ocarina of Time is still miles better, IMO, and it had none of that resetting thing.

Tyson Green

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 19:29 (3776 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Depending on how the saveless-ness is implemented, I find the idea for a game like that to be very intriguing.

thanks for the chuckle

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 20:30 (3776 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not sure it's so meaningless, because we have the entire history of video games to give us SOME idea of what an investment-less system would look like. I mean, you can see what was trying to be accomplished, and imagine doing that without such a system, using past examples as guidance.

Your inability to answer says more about the weakness of your arguments than staying silent would have.

Or, imagining something forward thinking like my save-less RPG / MMO.

It's still just the most labor intensive version of Nethack ever envisioned.

Tyson Green

by kapowaz, Monday, December 16, 2013, 08:25 (3777 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You are incorrect when you say investment compliments 'gameplay'. In essence, everything you ask your player to do is 'gameplay'. Thus, the systems of investment you ask your players to use or play with, become part of the game. They are kind of the same thing in a way.

Now if they systems of investment themselves are compelling and fun, well then that's just called 'gameplay' isn't it? And that's YOUR job isn't it?

I agree with this 100%.

I don't agree with this 100%. I think in the MMO world giving a player a longterm goal that requires substantial investment of time to achieve can make for interesting gameplay. It makes the reward that much more satisfying if it takes ages to cross the line.

I will say that my initial post was rude, and so I do apologize for the tone, but not the content. Please do not interpret this as an attack on your person or the studio's efforts, but rather a point made that investment systems are not necessary (and in fact harmful) for a healthy community and lasting experience.

[image]

Tyson Green

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, December 16, 2013, 07:32 (3777 days ago) @ Dmiller

This is a really telling post. Investment really scares me when it becomes ingrained in the gameplay. When it is on top of the gameplay, I can see it adding a lot to the overall "experience".

This video was super encouraging. It sounds like investment means a lot more than numbers ticking up. That the vidmaster achievements and Dark Souls were some of the main points they're looking to in how to drive investment makes me very happy.

Tyson Green

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 10:14 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lol, I agree. Nothing sucks the hype away more than discussion of investment systems, loot drops, and rpg elements. I think I need to play some Ico to wash this bad taste from my mouth.

Tyson Green

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 10:33 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

LOL LOL LOL LOL

I think you're sort of misapplying the term 'investment' and acting like it's a rusty fishook that a developer wants to hide in the center of your lollipop. You can't honestly say Bungie is going to muster behind the banner they've made out of making-the-games-they-want-to-play and then include *by explicit design* mechanisms just to get you to play a crappy game longer, because they somehow benefit from that. It would be dishonest at best. Did we even watch the same interview vid? It feels like he went to significant effort to get across that they're shooting for a quality of experience that will be free of those kind of mechanisms that impede fun.

It seems like after every release you reset your appraisal of their credibility and expect them to have to work to earn every scrap of it back. You know they consider your (and all of our) input into what they do, I guess I just don't see how disrespecting that which you cherish in order to make it better(through some kind of crucible of distrust and scorn) is supposed to somehow elicit a better end result. That's just not productive, man.

As someone with a significant creative bent, you of all people should understand the increased quality of work and satisfaction in completing a project you know to have been made better through your own self-criticsm, should you not? You can't sit there from on-high and say they aren't making those same efforts.

If you want all your self-righteousness to count for something, if you want to be taken seriously as a seasoned and trustworthy vector for input on something we all want to be enthralled with, why would you dilute your contribution with an unnecessarily shrill tone?

It just throws the signal-to-noise coming out of you completely out of whack.

Matter of fact, I'm kind of insulted that you keep up like this. I'll venture to say that most folks around here recognize you as a pretty intelligent guy. I'm confident that if you were being honest with yourself, you would know the place they're communicating from and accept it for what it is instead of...whatever it is you're doing.

~m

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:07 (3779 days ago) @ Malagate

I think you're sort of misapplying the term 'investment' and acting like it's a rusty fishook that a developer wants to hide in the center of your lollipop. You can't honestly say Bungie is going to muster behind the banner they've made out of making-the-games-they-want-to-play and then include *by explicit design* mechanisms just to get you to play a crappy game longer, because they somehow benefit from that. It would be dishonest at best. Did we even watch the same interview vid? It feels like he went to significant effort to get across that they're shooting for a quality of experience that will be free of those kind of mechanisms that impede fun.

I should give him credit for that. However all of that is in the context of having a player investment system to begin with, so by that very fact the game is worse than it otherwise would be. Destiny may be great, but if it were designed without investment systems it would be greater.

It seems like after every release you reset your appraisal of their credibility and expect them to have to work to earn every scrap of it back.

This is not correct. I still do not like ODST, and Reach I was merely skeptical about because of ODSTs quality. Nothing about Reach's systems made me inherently worried, and after the Beta I knew it was good.

You know they consider your (and all of our) input into what they do, I guess I just don't see how disrespecting that which you cherish in order to make it better(through some kind of crucible of distrust and scorn) is supposed to somehow elicit a better end result. That's just not productive, man.

He noticed. It's productive. Assuming they take our input into account, which I doubt they do. It's not disrespect. It's just being direct. If Tyson or Dan met me in real life the encounter would seem much more positive, I assure you.

As someone with a significant creative bent, you of all people should understand the increased quality of work and satisfaction in completing a project you know to have been made better through your own self-criticsm, should you not? You can't sit there from on-high and say they aren't making those same efforts.

Every day I hear a million different opinions: this sucks, that's good etc. I just screened a documentary I cut about the life of a certain man, and half the people who saw it hated it because we didn't put him on a pedestal, but instead looked at his life in a humble, almost melancholy way. They said the approach was idiotic (because many people in the room considered him a personal hero), but others LOVED what we did. In the end you do what YOU think is right, but you have to be prepared for others not to share the same opinion.

If you want all your self-righteousness to count for something, if you want to be taken seriously as a seasoned and trustworthy vector for input on something we all want to be enthralled with, why would you dilute your contribution with an unnecessarily shrill tone?

Maybe because some people are smart enough to listen to the words, and not how they are said? It's not a personal attack.

Matter of fact, I'm kind of insulted that you keep up like this. I'll venture to say that most folks around here recognize you as a pretty intelligent guy. I'm confident that if you were being honest with yourself, you would know the place they're communicating from and accept it for what it is instead of...whatever it is you're doing.

Then ban me and call it a day.

Tyson Green

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:37 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:43

It's not disrespect. It's just being direct. If Tyson or Dan met me in real life the encounter would seem much more positive, I assure you.

Maybe because some people are smart enough to listen to the words, and not how they are said? It's not a personal attack.

And that's sad. Why do you think its ok to interact with us through profanity and over exaggerated arguments? Or, if you really think the way you interact with us is the best way, why would you tone yourself down if you met us face to face? (Heh, or is it only gave developers you'd be civil to? Would you still yell and curse at me in person?)

Malagate: Matter of fact, I'm kind of insulted that you keep up like this.

Indeed.

Words carry a lot of meaning, but so does the way they are delivered. Calling us stupid (as we are by your own definition not smart enough to separate the words from their belligerent delivery) certainly doesn't make me feel any better about it either, Cody. I wish you would stop with the caps locks and profanity and over the top black and white arguments. As others say, you sometimes have good points! But I refuse to be "smart enough to listen to the words and not how they are said." You come here and make these grand agreements and for some reason expect us to put our full weight of consideration on them when you are at the same time insulting us and being vile towards us and our opinions. The rest of us act civilly and show respect to each other around here, why are you exempt?

And that's enough out of me. It's not like I haven't said all this before. You'll keep doing what you do and I'll continue to be not smart enough to understand it. I've already put more effort into this post that I promised myself I would. I'm out.

You said it, and I agree.

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:44 (3779 days ago) @ Ragashingo

(Heh, or is it only gave developers you'd be civil to?

Apparently, I'm not civil to them either.

Is this really hard to imagine, that the online persona is just that? A persona?

Tyson Green

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:53 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Tyson Green

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 12:27 (3779 days ago) @ Malagate

[image]

From now on, every time Cody posts a rant, I will imagine Francis. Thank you.

Guys he's not ranting - you exaggerate

by scarab @, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 14:07 (3779 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286
edited by scarab, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 14:11

If we go "by the book", like lieutenant Saavick, Cody's comments would be rants.

So what Cody posted was a rant. "By the book" captain.

When talking with Cody hours do indeed seem like days. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 14:23 (3779 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Cody's is superior.

by Quirel, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 20:05 (3779 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Tyson Green

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 12:17 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 12:34

(Heh, or is it only gave developers you'd be civil to?

Apparently, I'm not civil to them either.

And you think that is something to be proud of, or to remind people of?

Is this really hard to imagine, that the online persona is just that? A persona?

For me, yes!

I act the same online as I do in person. If I ever get to meet anyone from around here I want them to know that they've been talking to me and not some persona! Around here I try and treat everyone with respect. If I see a new name posting their ideas about Destiny I try and take the time to give them a substantive reply so that they feel welcomed. If I write a little story about someone's weapon idea I find myself writing one for everyone because I'd hate for anyone to be left out. For that same reason everyone who posts to my little fan fiction contest will be getting a meaningful reply from me on Christmas day. I even usually make it a point to respond to anyone who responds to me, because I want them to feel that they have been heard and appreciated. And I do all these things naturally, not as a burden, not because I'm playing a part. Around here I truly enjoy taking in the facts, looking for connections and then helping show others what might be hidden and what might be fun to discuss. I want to foster community and friendship and good discussion because that's who I really am.

So, who are you?

If you're better than this persona (I'd hate to think you're telling me that you're actually being on your best behavior and you're really worse!) then why are you taking the time to act rudely to me and everyone else? Is it the "they can't punch me in the face over tcp/ip" internet tough guy thing? Is it because you enjoy making people angry without any real consequences? So yeah, it is hard for me to imagine, so I don't. "I'm just playing a part" isn't going to come anywhere close to convincing me that you're actually a nice guy. Until you show some sign to the contrary I'm going to keep believing you are exactly as you act.

Tyson Green

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:44 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You know they consider your (and all of our) input into what they do, I guess I just don't see how disrespecting that which you cherish in order to make it better(through some kind of crucible of distrust and scorn) is supposed to somehow elicit a better end result. That's just not productive, man.

He noticed. It's productive. Assuming they take our input into account, which I doubt they do. It's not disrespect. It's just being direct. If Tyson or Dan met me in real life the encounter would seem much more positive, I assure you.

So you're choosing to ignore all that we hear and see from them about how the community matters and dismiss it as what, clever marketing? Ok.

And you're saying it's a conscious choice (and furthermore that you think it's somehow constructive) to strike the kind of tone you generally do here. Because what? Being a jerk about your opinion somehow increases its efficacy in this medium?

Every day I hear a million different opinions: this sucks, that's good etc. I just screened a documentary I cut about the life of a certain man, and half the people who saw it hated it because we didn't put him on a pedestal, but instead looked at his life in a humble, almost melancholy way. They said the approach was idiotic (because many people in the room considered him a personal hero), but others LOVED what we did. In the end you do what YOU think is right, but you have to be prepared for others not to share the same opinion.

I'm sure Bungie are all big boys and girls and aren't going to home and hang themselves in their closets because of your criticism of their work in progress that you haven't even had a sit-down with.

You're insulting yourself with that garbage. You've shown many, many times over that you're more than capable of understanding and appreciating how tone affects communication. You just made that point in your example of the documentary.

A lot of this boils down to you being unpleasant for the sake of it, and I would prefer you not do that here. I don't speak for anyone else on this, but my guess is that I'm not alone.

By the grace of Claude I have been indeed blessed with the power to do that, but that's not how this works.

~m

Tyson Green

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:55 (3779 days ago) @ Malagate

So you're choosing to ignore all that we hear and see from them about how the community matters and dismiss it as what, clever marketing? Ok.

If you think they will take anything I have to say seriously, I have a bridge for you. I'm just some dude who never made a game in his life. I'm not doing it to make the point to THEM. I'm doing it to make the point to everybody else on this forum.

And you're saying it's a conscious choice (and furthermore that you think it's somehow constructive) to strike the kind of tone you generally do here. Because what? Being a jerk about your opinion somehow increases its efficacy in this medium?

No, but being direct certainly does. While I was rude here (too rude I think), other times I have been interpreted as rude simply because I was direct.

I'm sure Bungie are all big boys and girls and aren't going to home and hang themselves in their closets because of your criticism of their work in progress that you haven't even had a sit-down with.

Good. They shouldn't. But not every studio is so lucky.

A lot of this boils down to you being unpleasant for the sake of it, and I would prefer you not do that here. I don't speak for anyone else on this, but my guess is that I'm not alone.

When Destiny comes out, I can almost assure you my posts will both be pleasant, enthusiastic and positive about some aspects of the game, and …unpleasant about others.

Tyson Green

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 12:35 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you think they will take anything I have to say seriously, I have a bridge for you. I'm just some dude who never made a game in his life. I'm not doing it to make the point to THEM. I'm doing it to make the point to everybody else on this forum.

I think we all get the point that there are considerable lengths you're willing to go to in order to irritate people.

No, but being direct certainly does. While I was rude here (too rude I think), other times I have been interpreted as rude simply because I was direct.

Huge fan of being direct. Huge. You know what I'm also a huge fan of?

Tact.

~m

Tyson Green

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 14:47 (3779 days ago) @ Malagate

Huge fan of being direct. Huge. You know what I'm also a huge fan of?

Tact.

~m

[image]

Whispering warnings and Screaming truths.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 14:58 (3779 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by INSANEdrive, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 15:34

It’s not what you say, but it is how you say it. Oh Cody Miller; How I do enjoy the endearing nature of a passion! I for one actually enjoy the passion of your standing, but not the rigidity of which you stand.

Oh… and as Malagate has said: Tact.

You see... your fatal flaw in your no-doubt-brilliantly-calculated-and-well-rehearsed plan, is that amongst the standing on your soap box – as you do – you hardly have given mention to a simple why. Perhaps you need to be asked? Then it is your lucky day, for I am an expert in asking questions. :)

On average though, such a thing is not important as far as the internet is concerned. Its…the Internet. At this point I have this urge to post a comic from Randall Munroe – “Someone is wrong on the internet” – for the sake of metaphor. Here though in our right nice neck of the woods, we are very much a community; and since you have come like clockwork and posted the same tune from the same drum – for the sake of the community I have the urge to ask.

What makes you, Cody Miller, such an expert compared to so many other fans – and even the groups at Bungie themselves? What experience do you have that allows you this insite?

Please - I beg of you answer this. This is not a mock – I truly am quite curious. I feel that I must be missing SOMETHING. Some context for which I am ultimately unaware of, so please – I would like to know.

I think you know what you do. You know it dam well. Then of course you implode onto yourself and scream “Repent! The end is nigh!” – for you do not help your cause … example…

Then ban me and call it a day

No! No no no no. The moment you even had an opening to say such an utterance, you lost. You are done. Your head is now rolling and we have already forgotten your name. I would hope not. You are (if I may be ever so bold to presume) a grown individual of an obvious degree of intellect – you need not be dragged from us in your tantrum. Just get up and walk. You can do that. Just don’t come in here and sour the air.

You destroy the very validity of your standing, by being a seemingly self-important jackass.

I know what you are doing Cody Miller (for which I shall not rebut) – and I hope you lets you be a better person for it. Regardless if this is you or just on oddly trollish persona made just for the internet, Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

It might already be too late

“Adapt or Die” & Sapere aude

INSANE “Maximus” drive

P.S. As a designer, halomodder, and all around tinkerer of things, I enjoy most investment systems for they help make “ME” in the game. For ME it helps immerse ME in the game. Might not be true for you, Cody Miller, and I respect that. That’s totally fine. No judge. For me though, I’ll have a total BLAST! Twice so since I’ll be throwing chunks of the sun at people’s faces (It’s like a Bungie brand slingshot – just reversed), wielding “Sabers Kiss” like it was part of my arm! Felling down FOES both FALLEN and CAN’T GET UP! YOU KNOW WHY?!?! DEAD! D.E.D. DEAD!

BAWHAHAHAHA

So! Cody Miller, until I get my hands on Grognok, or someone makes a true Holodeck, it’s the (and has been the) next doable step in pushing the nature of immersion, which for me again, I find fun. Cool? Cool.
If I am the problem – than HOT DARN! I can’t wait to make the solution.
Video game worlds are just awesome. That’s my passion. Well...one of them ;)

*Super-Rare White Trench Coat with a singular black stripe moves dramatically in breeze, body glowing with the travelers light, smoking and sparking like a mirage that is actually there both whispering warnings and screaming truths.*

*Bows and fades like a mirage*

by Veegie, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 22:02 (3779 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Please keep your hands and arms inside Grognok at all times.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 15, 2013, 13:52 (3778 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

What makes you, Cody Miller, such an expert compared to so many other fans – and even the groups at Bungie themselves? What experience do you have that allows you this insite?

Only the extent to which you find what I say compelling or interesting.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 15, 2013, 19:52 (3778 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Only the extent to which you find what I say compelling or interesting.

Heh. Well that's the kicker isn't it. I find everything to be interesting. Learning is Boss, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Even though you have answered my question in the few of words, I still have the question of Why. When the time comes perhaps. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread