The DBO Calendar (Feedback Thread) (DBO)

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 23:13 (3702 days ago)

Okay, I'm already up past my bedtime in a handful of timezones, so I'll make this quick. Here's a little project I've been slowly chipping away at for a while now:

destiny.bungie.org/calendar

If you didn't preorder, don't worry - this isn't a beta. Everything should be working (it's COTS software, it BETTER work), so you can go ahead and start playing around with all the buttons and switches to your heart's delight.

I'll make a fancy sticky thread full of Tips, FAQs, and poorly-written puns sometime in the next few days, but I'm going out of town this weekend and didn't want to hold this back if it was already good to go. We'll also proclaim my greatness with a frontpage post formally announcing this new tool once some old tool gets back in town and adds a Calendar link to the site header. (I mean that in the most endearing way possible, Claude deserves a medal for putting up with all of my random requests. Remember that brief forum downtime/weirdness a month ago? Might have had something to do with getting this installed...)

Most calendar features should be pretty obvious, but here are a few quick pointers:

- You can change your personal timezone at the Preferences screen, found by clicking on the gear icon OR on "All times displayed are relative to US/Pacific" in the bottom-left corner.

- Feel free to submit events: click on the blank page icon (Add New Event), fill out the form, then hit save. I already added a few, but I'm sure I missed something. No birthdays, please. Even if you're as old as Marty.

- If you're going to submit a recurring event, please limit it to 3 occurrences for the time being. Sure, I plan on hosting dboTV every Tuesday for the next 10 years, but that makes for a very cluttered (and potentially untrustworthy) calendar.

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Snazzy!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 07:00 (3701 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

Nice. Good Idea.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 11:51 (3701 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

The DBO Calendar (Feedback Thread)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, February 08, 2014, 18:00 (3700 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I would love a little box on the front page that showed the next event, and linked to the full calendar. Or am I crazy?

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 21:42 (3699 days ago) @ Leviathan

I would love a little box on the front page that showed the next event, and linked to the full calendar. Or am I crazy?

You're crazy, man. I like you, but you're crazy.

;)

RSS Feed emails?

by Spawn ⌂, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 08:53 (3700 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

When a new event is added or changed, maybe an RSS feed email notification? Just throwing some ideas out there. Love the concept!

RSS Feed emails?

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, February 09, 2014, 21:41 (3699 days ago) @ Spawn

Open the calendar, click on [image] (Create or Edit Email Reminder), and set up an account.

I'll go into more detail later, but that feature has a lot of depth. You can filter by keywords, search only specific event types, etc.

"I want to get an email whenever a 'DBO Game Night' is posted that includes the word Mars OR Sparrow anywhere in the entry."

"Let me know when a 'Community Event' or 'DBO Event' is created that includes the keyword Seattle."

"Spam my inbox whenever any event is created (or edited) that includes the word PAX in the title."

"Okay, that last one really is spamming my inbox. Delete that reminder, but keep the others. Or better yet, let's just edit it to only search the 'DBO Event' type."

All doable.

There are also some neat things we can set up with RSS feeds. More on that soon. :)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 20:35 (3696 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Tooltips for the icons would be nice. When I mouse over "All times displayed relative to <whatever>." it goes all black. Also on the page for setting up an event, in the the "Recurs" section, under "Monthly" and "Annual", the spin box for day of the month goes to 0 (zero), it does it without giving the error it does when you type in the other boxes, and in fact it's the default. Other than those things it looks good.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 11:08 (3696 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Tooltips for the icons would be nice.

There ARE tooltips for the icons. Just tested - they work in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. (Don't have any easy way to test IE right now.) There are no tips for the two arrows. I guess the developers thought those were pretty obvious.

When I mouse over "All times displayed relative to <whatever>." it goes all black.

Sounds like a stylesheet issue. Someone will probably check it out soon.

Also on the page for setting up an event, in the the "Recurs" section, under "Monthly" and "Annual", the spin box for day of the month goes to 0 (zero), it does it without giving the error it does when you type in the other boxes, and in fact it's the default. Other than those things it looks good.

I guess you'll have to be a LITTLE more careful then, when you're setting up recurring events. :)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 11:37 (3696 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 11:51

There ARE tooltips for the icons. Just tested - they work in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. (Don't have any easy way to test IE right now.) There are no tips for the two arrows. I guess the developers thought those were pretty obvious.

Sounds like a stylesheet issue. Someone will probably check it out soon.

I guess you'll have to be a LITTLE more careful then, when you're setting up recurring events. :)

OK; I'm using Chromium, I think it's the latest release, there was a warning about bugs (I'm also seeing weird background color behavior on the front page that I suspect isn't your fault; the about page says Version 34.0.1833.0 (250009) )-- I installed it a few days ago and I didn't notice anything that seemed like a browser bug until after I posted that

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread