New Desiny Drawing Board - The Shrike (vehicle!) (Destiny)

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 15:20 (3725 days ago)

So awesome. Check it out!

New Desiny Drawing Board - The Shrike (vehicle!)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 15:24 (3725 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

Sweet!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 15:25 (3725 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

So Shrike is the new name for the Sparrow it looks like? I like it. Also can't wait to see how you can upgrade it!

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 16:24 (3725 days ago) @ Xenos

So Shrike is the new name for the Sparrow it looks like? I like it. Also can't wait to see how you can upgrade it!

It looks awesome, but I'm still far more interested in the Pike.
[image]

Are these speeders a class of vehicle we'll have the option to choose from? Or is the Pike an enemy vehicle we can commandeer? I haven't kept up with vehicle information really, has this even been addressed yet?

All I know is that since the moment I saw that piece of artwork, I've been in love with that vehicle, and I want one. It's all the best parts of a jet fighter mixed with a chopper.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 16:27 (3725 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Or is the Pike an enemy vehicle we can commandeer? I haven't kept up with vehicle information really, has this even been addressed yet?

Yes, it is a Fallen vehicle that we can steal! I can't really read it at work, but if I remember correctly they implied you wouldn't be able to store them, but I could be incorrect.

It was in this Bungie Mail Sack.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 19:06 (3725 days ago) @ Xenos

Yes, it is a Fallen vehicle that we can steal! I can't really read it at work, but if I remember correctly they implied you wouldn't be able to store them, but I could be incorrect.

This saddens me. I want to own one.

I suppose on the flip side, I can look forward to a potential RotJ speeder chase.
ie: I run up and hijack one of their Pikes and ride off leaving them to pursue me, and one poor bastard stuck at base.

Cause that would be awesome.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 20:04 (3725 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

This saddens me. I want to own one.

I suppose on the flip side, I can look forward to a potential RotJ speeder chase.
ie: I run up and hijack one of their Pikes and ride off leaving them to pursue me, and one poor bastard stuck at base.

Cause that would be awesome.

My first reaction was to want to own one too; but I suspect the idea will be that you're always mobile, but don't always have platform-mounted weapons to go tear-assing around the map with. I definitely wouldn't want all the random help that passes through to appear on vehicles that will handily steamroll my smaller encounters for me. If that's an option, players will take it by default. I suppose it all depends on the environment, though. If there's an area that's like descending from the gates of Pandemonium into Hell, or storming Mount Arreat, then I wouldn't care. I'd expect entire fire teams on Pikes.

But I like the idea of having to earn most of the vehicles by stealing or finding them.

If my summonable vehicle isn't armed but my passenger can fire, I'm happy. But I'm going to need mods or other models so I can actually have nasty hog wheels. Or robo-spider legs.

The other thing is the question of whether stolen vehicles will have unlimited ammo. Having to refill vehicle ammo would make a certain amount of sense. I think I'd be for it.

~m

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, February 16, 2014, 07:58 (3721 days ago) @ Malagate

But I like the idea of having to earn most of the vehicles by stealing or finding them.

Think of all the wraiths you jacked in Halo 3. Would it have been the same if you could just call one down on command?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 16, 2014, 08:09 (3721 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Think of all the wraiths you jacked in Halo 3. Would it have been the same if you could just call one down on command?

Considering how it actually took me longer to kill vehicles with the Wraith than on foot, yes, it would be about the same. =p

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, February 16, 2014, 10:27 (3721 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Presumably these are all lightly armed, if they're armed at all, so just for the sake of argument, wouldn't it be more accurate to compare it to calling in a Mongoose than a Wraith?

Personally I just find the Pike better looking. Sexier. That's the only reason I want that to be my personal transport. For all I know, however, it handles like a brick and the Shrike is a million times better.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 16, 2014, 12:40 (3721 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Presumably these are all lightly armed, if they're armed at all, so just for the sake of argument, wouldn't it be more accurate to compare it to calling in a Mongoose than a Wraith?

Not to disagree with your overall point (which I don't necessarily) just thought I'd point out that in The Law of the Jungle video we can see that the Pikes are indeed armed. Now whether or not that's a reason you can "keep" it or not, who knows. I think the best comparison from that short clip would be a ghost.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, February 16, 2014, 18:09 (3721 days ago) @ Xenos

Not to disagree with your overall point (which I don't necessarily) just thought I'd point out that in The Law of the Jungle video we can see that the Pikes are indeed armed. Now whether or not that's a reason you can "keep" it or not, who knows. I think the best comparison from that short clip would be a ghost.

I'd entirely forgotten those were in that trailer, nevermind armed. Also you're right, as soon as I posted that I figured a better comparison would be a Ghost, but I needed to be walking out the door.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, February 16, 2014, 13:42 (3721 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Personally I just find the Pike better looking. Sexier. That's the only reason I want that to be my personal transport. For all I know, however, it handles like a brick and the Shrike is a million times better.

I get what you're saying, and you're right, but I don't think I was very clear. Sorry. I mean it's better to steal the really good stuff (in terms of murder potential) than to just have it on demand.

Like take "The Storm for example." You get Mongeese right before the Scarab fight, but I always enjoyed keeping that Warthog alive. Same kind of idea here, I guess?

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, February 16, 2014, 18:12 (3721 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I get what you're saying, and you're right, but I don't think I was very clear. Sorry. I mean it's better to steal the really good stuff (in terms of murder potential) than to just have it on demand.

Like take "The Storm for example." You get Mongeese right before the Scarab fight, but I always enjoyed keeping that Warthog alive. Same kind of idea here, I guess?

True enough, and I can't disagree with your assessment.

For the record though, I always bypass the Hog and the Mongeese and head straight for the missile pods. Out of all the times I've played that mission, I've only ever gotten lucky and killed the Scarab ONCE with a missile pod, but every single time I have to try, because that pod is too damn much fun to play with when it's mounted.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, February 17, 2014, 10:10 (3720 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

True enough, and I can't disagree with your assessment.

For the record though, I always bypass the Hog and the Mongeese and head straight for the missile pods. Out of all the times I've played that mission, I've only ever gotten lucky and killed the Scarab ONCE with a missile pod, but every single time I have to try, because that pod is too damn much fun to play with when it's mounted.

Oh god yes. Haha.

Pike

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 16:30 (3725 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

...is the Pike an enemy vehicle we can commandeer? I haven't kept up with vehicle information really, has this even been addressed yet?

I think it was referenced once as a Fallen vehicle.

All I know is that since the moment I saw that piece of artwork, I've been in love with that vehicle, and I want one. It's all the best parts of a jet fighter mixed with a chopper.

Totally agree.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 16:35 (3725 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, I hope it more than generic parts; but interesting pieces and lots (I'm talking BF4 amounts) of paint styles so you can really make it your own. I wanna care about it like I cared about the Jackdaw in AC4, unlike the horses in the previous AC games.

Basically, I'd like aesthetic and performance upgrades.

I really like the helmet on that guardian

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 19:42 (3725 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 20:43 (3725 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

“We wanted to give Guardians the experience of having a glorious beast to convey them from place to place - something that represented them.”

Unless I can place the parts of my apparent foes onto a Shrike for customization purposes, it isn't customizable enough. The reason why should be easy enough to discern.

As for being able to call it up on command, I wonder how far said ability goes.

Do I get to customize my call too?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, February 13, 2014, 16:31 (3724 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

As for being able to call it up on command, I wonder how far said ability goes.

Since maxing my Akuma in GTA Online, being able to call it in at any time has spoiled me. I don't think I can walk across maps to fetch bikes anymore.

the bike returns

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 21:00 (3724 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

There are those who hated the chopper. they said this day would never come. what have they just say now.

the bike returns . . .

by ridum, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 04:33 (3724 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Let the splattering commence….

the bike returns . . .

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 06:20 (3724 days ago) @ ridum

the bike returns

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 06:31 (3724 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Calling it now, you will gain upgrades like boost EMP trail so one of you can do snowspeeder runs by enemies and tanks and your designated sniper and rocket teams will clean up.

This maneuver is referred to as the "Smokey and the Bandit"

Hah, this thing looks awesome.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 11:15 (3724 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

I'm surprised

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 12:56 (3724 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I thought you'd use this thread as a chance to talk about Destiny's absurd lack of a certain hulking, furry species.

Why do you hurt me?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 18:52 (3724 days ago) @ Grizzlei

They split the barbarian side and gave it to the Fallen and gave the lumbering tuba soundtrack to the Cabal. I'm gonna miss those sweet mongoloids.

I thought that Isaac Hannaford had left Bungie.

by scarab @, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 09:46 (3724 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

Nice to see him working on Destiny.

I wasn't sure if he had, really happy he's there!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 11:14 (3724 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Isaac Hannaford featured on Kotaku. Again.

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 10:35 (3724 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

Halo, Destiny Artist Sure Knows How To Draw Cool Stuff.

My God, the man's amazing. I absolutely love Isaac's design style and artwork; his Halo 3 and Reach pieces are some of my all-time favorites. I'm super happy he's still with Bungie.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 11:18 (3724 days ago) @ Bones

My God, the man's amazing. I absolutely love Isaac's design style and artwork; his Halo 3 and Reach pieces are some of my all-time favorites. I'm super happy he's still with Bungie.

Completely agreed. I think he's probably a big part of the reason when I think of Halo, my brain defaults to most of the Halo 3/ODST designs. Meeting him briefly at the Emerald City Comic Con a couple of years ago was a highlight of that trip. If anyone ever gets the chance, and he's got a booth again, look through his sketchbooks -it is a delight!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 11:33 (3724 days ago) @ Leviathan

It pleases me to see so much Homeworld-like influences in there. The ship parked on the desert looking planet was particularly striking.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 14:29 (3724 days ago) @ Bones

Nice article, and great art. Thanks for pointing it out.

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Friday, February 14, 2014, 01:15 (3723 days ago) @ Bones

Absolutely. His work in The Art of Halo 3 really inspired me to get into digital art seriously. My life would certainly be different without his influence.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, February 16, 2014, 18:00 (3721 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread