Bungie knows what it's doing.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 19:25 (4055 days ago)
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 19:35

Claude mentioned it below, and it's on the front page, but I highly recommend Matt Soell's article.

There are so many things Matt touches on that help to explain what makes Bungie unique, but it boils down to respect for their fans and respect for themselves. They're not desperate to make us love them (are you listening 343i?). I believe that they're doing what they've always done--they're making a game they want to play. They are confident that there are other people who will also want to play it, but some won't, and that's fine. No harm, no foul. I would hope those who won't don't belabor the point, especially prematurely.

Bungie.org has historically been a happy, optimistic place. Sure, there have been dips [looks askance at the Bungie acquisition], but in general we've been eager to accept what Matt calls "the invitation to let your own imagination and emotions become part of the experience," and that experience includes the dance leading up to the release of a new game.

So what if Destiny's a year or more away. I appreciate the benefits of a long courtship. Sometimes a highlight ends up being that smile you got the day you met her, you know? Savor all of it. To those who seem able to describe their anticipation only in terms of levels of sexual excitement, take a cold shower, and expand your effing vocabulary (and imagination) already.

I like to think of this relationship we have as a collaboration between people who have a mutual respect for each other and what each brings to the table, and who also are in it for the long haul. It's been that before now, but it seems to me that with this game, Bungie is trusting us more than ever to help make this something special. Do we want merely to be entertained and entertained right now? I think not. I sure as heck don't. Is Bungie up to the task they've set for themselves? Are we up for our role in this?

I have hope.

Kermit

Be Brave.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 19:33 (4055 days ago) @ Kermit

I have thought their slogan for Destiny "Be Brave" is rather fitting at the moment.

It's going to be a long wait-
Be Brave.
It may get dark-
Be Brave.
Trolls may come-
Be Brave.
Doubts may arise-
BE BRAVE.

My Body is Ready.

No troll sightings

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 19:45 (4055 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Mr Daax, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:10

Thankfully, I haven't seen any trolls here so far. Kudos to the community here and to everyone running the forum behind the scenes, this place is awesome and feels like home to me. Sure, there may be those with less than positive things to say so far, but thankfully they are sharing their opinion intelligently and allowing for amicable disagreement and debate. Kinda feels like a family...and it's definitely easier to BE BRAVE when you have friends and family at your side. You guys rock.

No troll sightings

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 09:18 (4054 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I know what you mean, it's nice to come to this forum everyday and be greated with only respect and intelligent conversations

I liked the reveal

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:08 (4055 days ago) @ Kermit

And personally thought it was better to get a few pieces of concept art, a few bits of actual in-game stuff, than another typical, misleading, flashy CGI trailer.

I liked the reveal

by Avateur @, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:14 (4055 days ago) @ RC

This! The ViDoc even had little bits and pieces of real gameplay! Thank goodness! Did I feel a bit underwhelmed? Yes. Why? My own expectations and hopes and desires being way beyond what's realistic right now. Matt has it perfect. That fancy restaurant that we're sitting in starving to death? It's because everything smells so great, and we've eaten at this restaurant before, and we know that the food is absolutely delicious, yet here we are, waiting, desiring, wanting. And we can't have it. Not yet. It's not ready yet. But when it is, oh man will it have been worth the wait.

Also, I already can't wait for dessert, and I haven't even been served anything to eat yet. Bungie just put our drinks on the table. Or maybe this was just the menus. :P

I liked the reveal

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:15 (4055 days ago) @ Avateur

Definitely just menus, you think we've gotten to drink the sweet nectar yet?

I liked the reveal

by Avateur @, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:17 (4055 days ago) @ Xenos

Could just be that they set down some glasses and a pitcher of water? That blackout left us parched.

I liked the reveal

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 21:08 (4054 days ago) @ Avateur

Naw, man, you're just stepping out of the cab.

by Lurono @, Oklahoma, USA, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 20:42 (4055 days ago) @ Kermit

Very, very good read. Matt certainly has a way with words!

Thanks Kerm...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 21:28 (4055 days ago) @ Kermit

...For re-recommending that article. :) You never know where people go for their news, and I'm glad I saw your link.

It was so well written, I almost had to remind myself that I was reading something from the internet. :P

I agree; the suspenseful tease buildup is far more satisfying in the long run than the instant "gratification" so many think they want.

I like my current job an' all, but I still hold a job at Bungie in my Dream Job column. :D

Such a great read.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 23:30 (4055 days ago) @ Kermit

And I, for one, love the dance. :)

by Jabberwok, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 02:56 (4055 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, I enjoyed that article too, and reading it took me back.

I'm not at all surprised that the game is more than a year from release. The first feature I read on Halo was way before they had a publisher or even knew what the game would turn into. This seems much further along by comparison. It'll be great to see them reveal more content with the dark period over, and I'm even curious to see how they will handle marketing this time around.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread