Userscript/style - coming soon!

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 03:05 (4083 days ago)

First off, I just would like to say I'm thrilled to see us using MyLittleForum. Funny how a short post can affect so many people...

Anyways, I hope to start poking around at the code soon and (as promised) deliver my usual goodies, in the following order of priority:

• A retro user style, to bring back some of the color scheming, lack of padding, and text sizes of the old forum.
  • A time adjuster.
  • A script to contextualize the "latest posts" box with information on what thread it's from, and a link to its position on the tree.
  • A quick-reply box.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 04:27 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

Any chance you could whip up something spiffy to simulate the "Next" and "Previous" links of yore?? Even if it's just to navigate to the next post (absolute top to bottom) instead of the "direct reply" post in a sub-thread

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 05:10 (4083 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Have you tried clicking the "open in thread" button in the upper right corner? It gives you all the posts at once.

Is there a way to make that the default view?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 06:38 (4083 days ago) @ bluerunner

Oddly enough I saw your other post, and tried that button (which I hadn't noticed before) to view this thread.

I'm using that view to view your post, and it's pretty neat!!

Maybe the next/previous buttons are completely irrelevant :)

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:51 (4083 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Maybe the next/previous buttons are completely irrelevant :)

Many single-post users like it on HBO. We can throw that onto this list...

by BOLL ⌂ @, Sweden, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 04:45 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

Sure, there is a quote message button. Buuuut... I'd love if I could see what I am replying to below this input box. I'm way too much addicted to multi-tasking, which means I get nothing done, so a post can take up to 10 hours to write. That means I might come back, find my half-written post, and wonder what on earth I am replying to.

... perhaps I'm the only one with this problem....

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:53 (4083 days ago) @ BOLL

Sure, there is a quote message button. Buuuut... I'd love if I could see what I am replying to below this input box. I'm way too much addicted to multi-tasking, which means I get nothing done, so a post can take up to 10 hours to write. That means I might come back, find my half-written post, and wonder what on earth I am replying to.

... perhaps I'm the only one with this problem....

Well, quick-reply would help fix this, but this should also be possible with localstorage and/or AJAX calls.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 06:42 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

Dude!

With the inclusion of themes as a user setting, you could have a mobile theme that optimizes everything for your device instead of adding detection code... which would still be cool too.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 07:24 (4083 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Dude!

With the inclusion of themes as a user setting, you could have a mobile theme that optimizes everything for your device instead of adding detection code... which would still be cool too.

I'm on my phone right now and it's not bad. Very useable. Everything scales to my screen better than HBO.

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:55 (4083 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Dude!

That's not addressed to me, right? I've had nothing do do with this since suggesting MyLittleForum.

I can attempt a mobile theme at some point, though they're only easy to install on Firefox Mobile (with Stylish extension).

by scarab @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 07:14 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

I used an offline reader, back in the dial up days, that displayed messages in threads.

It had a good feature where it displayed the first non-comment line as the message title.

The reason that this was good was because you could scan the tree and follow the outline of the conversation without even having to open any messages.

The program was called Virtual Access, AKA WigWam, AKA Teepee (or however it was spelt)

Sorry...

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:05 (4083 days ago) @ scarab

It had a good feature where it displayed the first non-comment line as the message title.

The reason that this was good was because you could scan the tree and follow the outline of the conversation without even having to open any messages.

Unfortunately, this would require background-loading every post, so it's not possible.

What could be done, though, is to have the preview buttons load on mouse-over... and maybe even make the text in there collapsible. Hmmm....

Mouseover loading is the path to madness. *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 13:28 (4082 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 13:33

Mouseover loading is the path to madness. *NM*

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 14:07 (4082 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Mouseover loading is the path to madness.

You'd be amazed at what a 200ms hover delay can accomplish...

Could it be done by js when the user presses submit?

by scarab @, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 02:23 (4082 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac
edited by scarab, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 02:34

If subject field has not been edited then extract first non-empty non-comment and set subject field's contents to that then post to the server?

Fast way to make an NM msg: kill 2 birds

by scarab @, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 02:31 (4082 days ago) @ scarab

If there is only one line of non-comment and it fits in the subject line with *NM* added then make it an *NM* message (empty body).

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 07:59 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

• A retro user style, to bring back some of the color scheming, lack of padding, and text sizes of the old forum.

That and the lack of corner shots are my only real "complaints". Everything else is purty dern aweshum.

I think...

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:25 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

...it needs more cowbell.

Joking aside, I'm not much of a techno guy, so sofar I am enjoying the new site. One thing I have noticed that I think was already sort of mentioned: I'm used to clicking the back button on my browser, but now that marks all the messages unread. No biggy, I just have to use the back button on the page instead.

Some more ideas...

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:50 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

the time adjuster is irrelevant, I realized after poking around in the settings.

But I think adding auto-NMing would be fun.

The engine won't let us post empty messages *NM*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:06 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

You're a jerk *NM*

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:11 (4083 days ago) @ ZackDark

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:39 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

Mark new messages in some more noticeable way. As is, there is only a red arrow on the left side of the message to indicate it is new, while back in HBO, the whole line was grey-boxed.

While I understand grey-boxing might be a bit harder to do, I'm sure there's a way to make them more noticeable than a single red arrow.

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:50 (4083 days ago) @ ZackDark

Mark new messages in some more noticeable way. As is, there is only a red arrow on the left side of the message to indicate it is new, while back in HBO, the whole line was grey-boxed.

While I understand grey-boxing might be a bit harder to do, I'm sure there's a way to make them more noticeable than a single red arrow.

This should be doable. Heck, I might not even need Javascript.

Yays all around! :D *NM*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 13:00 (4083 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 13:33 (4082 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

A retro user style, to bring back some of the color scheming, lack of padding, and text sizes of the old forum.

Why would a lack of padding and small text be something you'd want to bring back?

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 14:06 (4082 days ago) @ kapowaz

Why would a lack of padding and small text be something you'd want to bring back?

Information density. Less scrolling, less concentration-breaking eye movement.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 14:15 (4082 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

Information density. Less scrolling, less concentration-breaking eye movement.

That doesn't make information more dense, it just makes it more difficult to read.

Back to the forum index
    RSS Feed of thread