4/28 Destiny News Mega-Thread (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 09:59 (3644 days ago)

I figured I'd try and keep this somewhat organized. Instead of trying to keep track of half a dozen plus threads, why don't we create a MEGATHREAD to keep it organized. If you're posting a new article let's have a format set, put the name of the outlet in brackets so we can tell where new articles are to keep them separated from discussion? Just a suggestion, don't mean to overstep my bounds :-D

Excellent idea.

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:00 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Destiny Strike trailer

by petetheduck, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:02 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Dat music.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:11 (3644 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Initial reaction:

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:14 (3644 days ago) @ petetheduck

...I cannot wait to have the Destiny OST.

Also, the color variety is very stimulating and the gameplay looked like a lot of fun, especially towards the end of the trailer when the music kicked up a notch and the enemies intensified. I was getting into it, in ways I haven't felt for a video game since 2010. :)

I am in love with the Titan

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:21 (3644 days ago) @ petetheduck

Charge power followed up by fists, and the area of effect fists.... like they melted down Thor's hammer into a pair of brass knuckles.

Also, my boy Peter Dink!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:10 (3644 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Cannot wait to rub it in my friend's faces that the Peter Dinklage is the new Cortana

Also, my boy Peter Dink!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 07:22 (3643 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I like how sardonic, and even bored he sounds. "Yawn" huge things to shoot. It's kind of funny. :)

WHAT'S THE MATTER AI, NOT ENOUGH MATH?

Also, my boy Peter Dink!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 07:27 (3643 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

WHAT'S THE MATTER AI, NOT ENOUGH MATH?

Got a laugh out of me. :)

Broyles?

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:58 (3644 days ago) @ petetheduck

The voiceover at the beginning sounds like Lance Reddick. I like this.

Another note on the Titan

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, April 28, 2014, 18:27 (3644 days ago) @ petetheduck

At 3:39 in the video, does anybody else see his mad jumps? and then his slamming fists in the fists of havoc? Everybody get up, it's time to slam now.

Destiny Strike trailer

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 19:13 (3644 days ago) @ petetheduck

The more gameplay I watch the more firm my commitment to playing a Hunter becomes. Throwing knives, snipers, hand cannons, and what look like flame grenades? AND I get to look like an futuristic outlaw. *drools*

[Polygon] What does Destiny Offer That's New & Different

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:04 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Xenos, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:08

Video and article from Polygon: here

IGN article link here

by Fuertisimo, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:06 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/28/i-played-destiny-and

not terribly flattering, basically spent half the article saying they wish they could have seen more.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:28 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Lots of good information in there. Sounds like Bungie has learned to play their instruments, got some experience under their belt, and are looking to write their hit album, their Joshua Tree. Glad to see the focus on execution, not reinventing the wheel.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, April 28, 2014, 14:45 (3644 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Lots of good information in there. Sounds like Bungie has learned to play their instruments, got some experience under their belt, and are looking to write their hit album, their Joshua Tree. Glad to see the focus on execution, not reinventing the wheel.

Reactions so far:

-I want to see how widely-ranging the weapon styles will be. In the past I've loved little touches on things like the Spiker and Mauler (leather-wrapped, pointy bits, drum-fed) that gave them such personality in performance as well as aesthetics. Borderlands' reloading animations were always lots of fun, break-loading or dropping big fat shell casings. I want to see what Destiny has in that department. Mainly nasty close-range weapons. Lots of those. Thus far it doesn't look like we'll be picking up enemy weapons, so I want to see what kind of personality we'll get out of our toys.

-I really, really, want to see more vehicles.

-I'm really happy to see new Fallen tech.

-Supers are gorgeous.

And with regard to this snippet from Kotaku's coverage[emphasis mine]:

"...we're taken out into icy alien steppes in an attempt to find beacons or a patrol job. As the Guardian explores their surroundings, I'm taken aback by how empty the game feels—the landscape looks vast, exudes a silent sadness."

[image]

~m

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 08:57 (3643 days ago) @ Malagate

Silent sadness? Did they say it like it was a bad thing?

Also, violent agreement on all your points. Especially reloading animations and gun personality. I wanna feel like I'm loading Death itself.

[Polygon]Saves can be transferred from old gen to next gen

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:05 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Link here

Sweet! :D

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:38 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

[Polygon]Saves can be transferred from old gen to next gen

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:04 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Well, we got part of what we want.

Seems like, from the "where they go with that" quote, that whether we get the rest of it is not up to Bungie, which isn't really a surprise.

can be transferred from old gen to next gen - sweet indeed

by yakaman, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:05 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Really curious about this

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 01:37 (3643 days ago) @ Xenos

I would definitely also pick up a copy on 360 to play with my dad if I can switch easily back and forth.

[Playstation Access]Gameplay and Details

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:11 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Youtube video:

[Joystiq]Pete Parsons on why Destiny isn't Borderlands

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:14 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Video is here!

Hah, That Pimps at Sea update! Very good.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:31 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by SigbiasSilva, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:46

- No text -

Great Interview

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 19:31 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

I think it's obvious that Bungie really WANTS to make a cross platform game by the way he avoids answering the question about transferring characters between platforms. I just hope Microsoft and Sony can allow it.

Great Interview

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 28, 2014, 20:39 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

The guy knows Bungie else he wouldn't be asking about Pimps at Sea. Is he just playing around by asking about Peter Dinklage? Hasn't that been confirmed multiple times by now?

Great Interview

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 20:42 (3644 days ago) @ Kermit

The guy knows Bungie else he wouldn't be asking about Pimps at Sea. Is he just playing around by asking about Peter Dinklage? Hasn't that been confirmed multiple times by now?

Yeah Bungie is just being funny and not admitting it for some reason. In the Urk Interview video with Playstation Access (link) he even names a bunch of movies he's been in and "some fantasy series."

Great Interview

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 28, 2014, 21:10 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah Bungie is just being funny and not admitting it for some reason. In the Urk Interview video with Playstation Access (link) he even names a bunch of movies he's been in and "some fantasy series."

Yeah, I saw that. Guess the interviewer and Pete were just goofing around.

[Joystiq]Inside Bungie's HQ

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:17 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Joystiq has a tour video of Bungie's HQ here!

[GameInformer]Hands on With the 3 Classes

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:18 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

GameInformer talks about their time playing with each class of Destiny right here!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 21:15 (3643 days ago) @ Xenos

The Titan continues to woo me. Risk death by charging into foes? Me? Never...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 22:24 (3643 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

The Titan continues to woo me. Risk death by charging into foes? Me? Never...

And the Hunter continues to woe me, knives, hand cannons, and sniper rifles, sounds awesome!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 07:53 (3642 days ago) @ Xenos

They look like a lot of fun, too. Always hard to say which will be my favorite, though I tend to favor the least subtle option available. Multiple characters inbound, for sure.

[Destructoid]Destiny's Combat is Solid, BUT....

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:20 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Destructoid likes the combat in Destiny, but isn't sure about the rest of the game yet. Read about it here!

[Joystiq]Destiny Wears its Halo With Pride

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:23 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Joystiq has a short article somewhat covering how familiar it feels. Go read it right here!

[Kotaku]I played Destiny and it was kind of boring

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:24 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Someone at Kotaku wasn't completely impressed. Go see why here!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:33 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Some of my favorite things are labelled boring by most people. Guess that means I should be more excited for Destiny!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:34 (3644 days ago) @ Leviathan

Some of my favorite things are labelled boring by most people. Guess that means I should be more excited for Destiny!

From what I've read so far it's also the dissenting opinion (not to mention it's from Kotaku) so I'm not too worried :)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:43 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

From what I've read so far it's also the dissenting opinion (not to mention it's from Kotaku) so I'm not too worried :)

Heh, even if it isn't, "boring" has truly never turned me off of anything. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 30-minute Pink Floyd songs with 10 minutes of dogs barking... I'm quite the fan of a slow pace! Hell, most of my time in video games the last few years were just slowly walking around woods and looking at rocks and plants in Skyrim. I honestly got annoyed when enemies showed up, hah. I also really like video games I can fall asleep to...

As you can tell, I'm usually the life of the party.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:45 (3644 days ago) @ Leviathan

Heh, even if it isn't, "boring" has truly never turned me off of anything. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 30-minute Pink Floyd songs with 10 minutes of dogs barking... I'm quite the fan of a slow pace! Hell, most of my time in video games the last few years were just slowly walking around woods and looking at rocks and plants in Skyrim. I honestly got annoyed when enemies showed up, hah. I also really like video games I can fall asleep to...

As you can tell, I'm usually the life of the party.

Yeah I agree with you. Beautiful landscape simulator with occasional shooting sounds pretty awesome to me actually.

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Monday, April 28, 2014, 23:45 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

A beautiful landscape/hiking simulator with occassional shooting is more in line with DayZ or Stalker. Destiny really doesn't fit this.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 00:15 (3644 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

A beautiful landscape/hiking simulator with occassional shooting is more in line with DayZ or Stalker. Destiny really doesn't fit this.

I was thinking more along the lines of shooting when I want to, not like Day Z where it's usually "this place is pretty nice.... haven't seen anything in almost 30 minut- OH CRAP, RUN!"

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:46 (3644 days ago) @ Leviathan

I also really like video games I can fall asleep to...

Oh god... Memories of falling asleep probing planets in ME2...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:56 (3644 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Wait...What did I just read?

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:44 (3644 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

This video isn't that much of an exaggeration.

Levi likes games that he can fall asleep too. This reminds me of Mass Effect 2's planet scanning/probing, which put me to sleep. Every. Single. Time.

"I'll play Mass Effect 2! What? I need some resources for that upgrade? No problem! I'll go scan some planets and find some minerals!" Fast forward 30 minutes later, and due to the music, monotony of the activity, and near complete lack of anything at all interesting going on, I'm falling asleep. Even a lengthy conversation with an Elcor would've been more interesting.

This isn't to say I always hated it though. Sometimes it was exactly what I wanted. Zone out and just become completely relaxed. Most of the time though, it just sucked. Hauling ass up an 88 degree incline in the Mako was so much more fun.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:46 (3644 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

This video isn't that much of an exaggeration.

Levi likes games that he can fall asleep too. This reminds me of Mass Effect 2's planet scanning/probing, which put me to sleep. Every. Single. Time.

"I'll play Mass Effect 2! What? I need some resources for that upgrade? No problem! I'll go scan some planets and find some minerals!" Fast forward 30 minutes later, and due to the music, monotony of the activity, and near complete lack of anything at all interesting going on, I'm falling asleep. Even a lengthy conversation with an Elcor would've been more interesting.

This isn't to say I always hated it though. Sometimes it was exactly what I wanted. Zone out and just become completely relaxed. Most of the time though, it just sucked. Hauling ass up an 88 degree incline in the Mako was so much more fun.

Rhetorical. My fault should have indicated. That said - I agree with everything you just wrote.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:56 (3644 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I fell asleep the other day parachuting out of a plane in Grand Theft Auto! It's quality and immersion that zones me out and relaxes me, not horrendous mini-games, hah. That just made me want to put a rubber band around the joysticks and walk out of the room :)

I loved the Mako, and really wanted to see that revised and improved with each sequal, but alas. Also greatly disliked how the probing, such a simple, tangential mini-game could affect the end-game story. I want my real choices to affect the story, not my high score at the Planet-Bopper Time-Waster machine. :)

Anyway, I guess the point is there's a good boring and a bad boring!

At least Mass Effect 2 scanning gave us this.

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 20:39 (3643 days ago) @ Leviathan

At least Mass Effect 2 scanning gave us this.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 21:29 (3643 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

What did you just make me watch? I think my dog is actually looking down at me for listening to that...

your dog needs some taste

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 21:53 (3643 days ago) @ Leviathan

That reminded me of MacPhisto's theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRDJLcYua0

Oops, I was wrong

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 21:56 (3643 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I meant this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xYHsyCyDvs

both via the spirit of Phisto

That was amazing

by Zero @, Florida, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 22:18 (3643 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Oops, I was wrong

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 07:57 (3642 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I'll need to check these out.

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:47 (3644 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rtQ0-ez4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 28, 2014, 23:26 (3644 days ago) @ Leviathan

Heh, even if it isn't, "boring" has truly never turned me off of anything. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 30-minute Pink Floyd songs with 10 minutes of dogs barking...

But those things are unique. Kotaku's point was that Destiny is not unique, and does not carve out an identity for itself, but is rather an imitation of so many things that end up lacking what the originals had without having a feel of its own.

From a company that is known for unique games with a strong identity / style / feel, this is not good news.

Marathon? No other game like it.
Myth? No other game like it.
Oni? No other game like it.
Halo? No other game like it.
Destiny? Like tons of games.

Remember, the gaming media is paid to lie to you, so anything negative they have to say is actually worse.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 28, 2014, 23:28 (3644 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Remember, the gaming media is paid to lie to you, so anything negative they have to say is actually worse.

Uh huh... Or its Kotaku posting their usual clickbait. Not every explanation has to be the worst thing you can think of... :/

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 28, 2014, 23:35 (3644 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Uh huh... Or its Kotaku posting their usual clickbait. Not every explanation has to be the worst thing you can think of... :/

It was clickbait, but even reading other articles from the other sources confirms the central argument Kotaku is making about lack of original feel in Destiny.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 07:51 (3643 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Heh, even if it isn't, "boring" has truly never turned me off of anything. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 30-minute Pink Floyd songs with 10 minutes of dogs barking...

But those things are unique. Kotaku's point was that Destiny is not unique, and does not carve out an identity for itself, but is rather an imitation of so many things that end up lacking what the originals had without having a feel of its own.

From a company that is known for unique games with a strong identity / style / feel, this is not good news.

Heh - I guess you don't remember the gaming press in 2001 very well. To those guys, Halo was just another shooter - like every other shooter out there (except that it was on a console, which meant it already had 3 - no, 4 - strikes against it). There was nothing original about it - what was the point?

In hindsight, you can write 'no other game like it' next to it (and not be wrong). That's a pretty substantial shift.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 09:02 (3643 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh - I guess you don't remember the gaming press in 2001 very well. To those guys, Halo was just another shooter - like every other shooter out there (except that it was on a console, which meant it already had 3 - no, 4 - strikes against it). There was nothing original about it - what was the point?

In hindsight, you can write 'no other game like it' next to it (and not be wrong). That's a pretty substantial shift.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, I actually thought Halo looked pretty boring and full of sci-fi tropes before I played it. "Space marines" and aliens were overdone in my mind and I didn't care for FPSs back then (I never owned one until Halo: CE). I didn't pay it much attention and wrote it off.

And then someone handed me a controller at a friend's sleepover and after an hour I was amazed just simply splashing around in a waterfall on Halo and in need of an XBox and a copy. :)

(Also, regarding Cody's original reply to me - I wasn't talking about the intent of the article, simply the use of "boring" as a descriptor, and how it has no negative connotation to me.)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 10:51 (3643 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heck Halo STILL sits in a spot for some of the games press where it is "still Halo, a mainstream shooter" and that is what is bleeding into the coverage of Destiny. It really has no effect for me since I think "oh, well I hold Halo on a very high pedestal and maybe you don't agree with me but I understand how it's not for you".

So when I process an article like the one in the subject, I'm picking out the differentiators that they pick up and take their boredom with Halo as a sign that it'll feel REALLY good for me.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 00:02 (3643 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You are right, I don't remember it well. I took a break from Bungie after the MS buyout and didn't come back till 2003 when I actually finally played Halo. So I really DON'T have any recollection of how it was initially received by the press prior to release. Interesting angle thanks for sharing.

+1

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 00:22 (3643 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Gawker network - The Kings (meh) of click-bait.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:34 (3644 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:51 (3644 days ago) @ Leviathan

[image]

Who cares if it's boring?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:15 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

That breastplate is sexy.

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, April 28, 2014, 18:02 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

I wish I was playing the ever-exciting Titanfall instead

LOL! What a hard life these journos have!

[Polygon]Is Destiny More than an MMO Halo?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:26 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Polygon has a live podcast talking about where Destiny is just an MMO version of Halo. Go watch it live, or watch it afterwards here!

Xenopocalypse! :D

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:29 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BUILT TO THIS MOMENT :)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:32 (3644 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

*Spoilers* Xenos is a Bot. From Space. A Space bot.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:33 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

If I could sculpt...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:35 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

I'd carve a statue of you and post in on the front page and then use it as mold for trophies for DBO's Annual Forum News Poster Awards, where it happens that you would win all of the trophies.

dramatic reenactment

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:56 (3644 days ago) @ Leviathan

[image]

Xenopocalypse! :D

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 28, 2014, 14:59 (3644 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

It's Xenos' forum. We just post on it. ;)

[Eurogamer]Destiny is Better than Halo?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:37 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Eurogamer got their hands on Destiny too, and they ask if it's better than Halo. Go see why here

[IGN]I Played Destiny and...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:40 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

IGN's impressions about Destiny can be seen here!

[GameInformer]Five Features That Help Define Destiny

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:44 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

GameInformer wants to make sure you understand what sets Destiny apart here

[Gamespot]Discovering Destiny

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:46 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Gamespot has what awaits you in Destiny covered here!

[TSDIRC] My feet hurt. I wish I was home playing Destiny

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:58 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

http://teamschoolyd.org/chat

For all your "I want to talk about Destiny RIGHT NOW" needs

[TSDIRC] /Topic High Heels For All!

by Jillybean, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:59 (3644 days ago) @ Schooly D

It's our mantra.

Honestly I'm changing the topic right now.

Also I'm more irritated by Kotaku's biotic/bionic mistake than anything the review says . . .

[CVG]Bungie Has Refined the Shooter

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:18 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Computerandvideogames.com has an article with their hands-on experience. Go see it here!

[IGN]No Player Trading at Launch

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:34 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

IGN has a short article stating there will be no trading between players when Destiny launches. Source is right... here!

How much is Claude paying you?!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:36 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

I'll double it!

I'm under an NDA.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:01 (3644 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

lolololol

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:07 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

No Doubling Allowed?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:11 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

I'll triple it!

[IMGUR] Reddit User FutureWarCult Collecting Screenshots

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 11:45 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

/u/FutureWarCult on Reddit is collecting screenshots together from the different articles. Go drool over them here!

Best image in the lot

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:26 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Check out this orange monster

[image]

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:40 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm really diggin' this Warlock. That uniform looks fantastic.

Also, the hunter with the wolf breastplate is rad. I'm interested to see anything else from the Gjallarhorn set.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, April 28, 2014, 18:42 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

I'll be sticking with Warlock for my first choice (Order of the Void, anybody?), but holy sexy space armor, Batman! Those titans look badass! And dat hunter's breastplate! I find that I am more excited about the RPG elements of the game at the moment than I am about the shooty bits.

[Playstation]Bungie Talks Co-op Strikes

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:00 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Playstation has a video talking to Bungie about Co-op Strikes in Destiny. Go watch!

Anybody catch the glimpse at character customization?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 14:09 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Short but interesting. It's from about 2:00 to 2:03.

Anybody catch the glimpse at character customization?

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, April 28, 2014, 14:34 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, I just saw that. Figures you posted about it first :)

Bungie must really want me to fail final exams.

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:56 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

I was already procrastinating enough without this mind-exploding info dump.

[IGN] What It's Like to Play Destiny

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:59 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

IGN has a video about what it's like to play Destiny. Go watch!

[Playstation] How Destiny is Rethinking FPS Multiplayer

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 13:10 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

The Playstation Blog has a post about Destiny's multiplayer, go read!

Patrol seem nice

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 28, 2014, 13:33 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

If you don’t have a particular agenda, Patrol is a good place to start. The Patrol structure is deliberately relaxed and freewheeling, with locations covering a large swath of exterior and interior spaces. You can hunt for beacons to trigger side missions, or just blast enemies, collect loot, and explore at your own pace. Patrol missions seem to vary considerably, tasking you with everything from collecting uranium to interrupting mining operations and assassinating enemy leaders.

Cool. I bet these kinds of missions are even changeable as time goes on.

Speaking of needing to change... The Playstation site was acting all strange... loading in chunks at a time... occasionally having text and images disappear... and maxing out my CPU for no reason. That's one place I won't be going back to...

Patrol seem nice

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 13:36 (3644 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah this is one of the things they've talked about that I am most excited about. Bungie originally said in an early build they didn't have the ability to just go to an area to explore unless you were on a mission there. Obviously they realized we want to go roam and explore, which makes me super happy!

[The Guardian] Hands on With Destiny

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 13:12 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Xenos, Monday, April 28, 2014, 13:29

The Guardian has a pretty lengthy article about Destiny. Good to see even non-game related news sites getting in on the reporting. Go read!

Something very interesting in this one...

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 09:01 (3642 days ago) @ Xenos

"The social intent of the game cannot be overstated. Indeed, levelling up each character to max takes only a few hours – Bungie doesn't want you to start the game then realise you have weeks of grind to put in before you can play against friends on a higher level. "You level cap quickly, but once you're there the game is more about equipping the gear that lets you go deeper into the game," says Green. "There are more strikes, there are raids, there are higher levels of PvP if you equip better weapons and armour."

Interesting approach, but I'm not sure if I like it.

[Expansive DLC] Bungie Lifts the Veil

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 13:30 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Expansive DLC has also posted their impressions of Destiny so far. Go give it a read!

[Gamespot]Why Destiny isn't Coming to PC (Yet)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 15:00 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Gamespot has a short article about why Destiny isn't coming to PC yet.

Here is the link!

All platforms connect to ONE persistent world...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 15:11 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

Interesting from the article:

Another reason why a PC version of Destiny is tricky is that all versions of the game >connect to a singular persistent world, and this would require a significant amount of >legwork to get right, Parsons said.

“It is not nearly as simple as you think,” he said. “It is one central world no matter >what the platform, and so that requires lots of intensive thought. Frankly, it’s not a >thought we can spend time thinking about right now. Just building up the game and >putting it across generations of platforms, and working on platforms we’ve never >worked on before with the PlayStation 3, these are very big challenges. I’m thankful >we have the engineering team we do.”

Does that mean on a technical side it's one big server (albeit obviously made up of smaller physical servers)?

*Fingers Crossed*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 28, 2014, 15:31 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

[Roosterteeth/The Know] Characters and Classes

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 28, 2014, 18:14 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

The Know posted a video mostly about how Characters and Classes work in Destiny. Go watch!

[AusGamers] Interview with DeeJ

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, April 28, 2014, 21:50 (3644 days ago) @ Xenos

AusGamers has a 14-minute interview with DeeJ here.

[Gamereactor] Embracing Destiny (with a W.I.P 6-8 others)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 10:55 (3643 days ago) @ Xenos

Found an 3 page article that hasn't been posted yet. Most of the information we are aware of now, but feels well reported. The biggest thing that I had not seen yet is quoted below

The maximum number of players in one public area is still being tinkered with; currently it's around seven to nine. Not a mammoth number for multiplayer, but it's a figure suitable for a cooperative experience, and neatly disables the break of immersion that'd come if fifty fireteams were milling around the same spot waiting for enemies to spawn. If you want to participate in what others are doing, sink a few bullets into their attackers (we experience only two of the races in Destiny - see ‘The Races' box out). The game will immediately sync you into a shared mission.

Link

This is a really good one. Perhaps even a must read.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 11:58 (3643 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 12:23 (3643 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Yet they don't expect to gain universal praise whatever they deliver; they're aware they're going to alienate some of their audience. This isn't their Halo 4.

I'm trying to figure out if this is intended to be played straight, or if there's a "zing!" subtext at the end.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 12:36 (3643 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Found an 3 page article that hasn't been posted yet. Most of the information we are aware of now, but feels well reported.

Nah. They wrongly called the gun "Some Good Advice." I kid. That was really good. I loved Urk's comments at the end.

The needle hasn't moved much for me over the last 36 hours or so. That said, I am firmly convinced that they are driven to deliver something special. I'm also coming to believe that what makes it special might not be apparent after only a few hours of game play. I expect I'm going to be spending a lot of time in campaign and patrol modes.

Microtransaction Information

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 12:39 (3643 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Tyson Green discusses micro-transactions briefly in the article:

The Tower is the Guardians' central base and the social hub for the game. Glimmer buys > weapons, and it sounds like the developer is ranging as far as it can from the notion > of micro-transactions.

"We're focusing on the core sixty dollar experience," Green replies when asked directly. "Trying to keep the game away from needing a subscription or anything like that. It's not something we're really focusing on at all."

Very Encouraging

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 00:24 (3643 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread