Breaking: Destiny to sell lots (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Friday, June 27, 2014, 20:02 (3590 days ago)

For those intereted in the business end,

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/27/preorder-analysis-suggests-destiny-could-be-the-biggest-game-of-the-year-with-10-15...

The fun part:

The analysis is based on Cowen’s Ordometer, which tracks U.S. video game orders before launch and then correlates the result to sales after launch. The analysis is backed by six years of Amazon bestseller data and NPD’s reported physical sales of games. Cowen measures the data every week from the Electronic Entertainment Expo to the end of the year for both Xbox and PlayStation consoles. The results paint an estimate of preorders and are a bit surprising given our own lackluster impressions of Destiny’s recent alpha test.

Creutz said in his report that Destiny has the highest Ordometer score of any game tracked over the past four years, and it could even outsell Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, which Activision plans to launch in November. Call of Duty is tracking in-line with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, which had a slow preorder start in 2012 but went on to be the highest-selling game in the series’ history. So the “overall trajectory of Advanced Warfare remains up for debate,” Creutz wrote. The fate of Advanced Warfare will be determined in the next few weeks of preorders.

And that's before the beta hits. Given the way the Alpha has changed opinions for the better it has the potential to go higher.

Though apparently Dean Takahashi didn't like the Alpha?

Dean Takahashi is a philistine

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 14:41 (3589 days ago) @ electricpirate

Though apparently Dean Takahashi didn't like the Alpha?

Read to Dean's insight here

Apparently he thinks the AI is dumb, despite Wizards being too hard for him. The game is too slow and should be rendering at 60 frames per second like Call of Duty because faster is better and Titanfall did it. He has hoarding urges upon seeing all the gear and thinks Russia looks like Mars. He finds unlit rooms scary and thinks the word fireteam should be written with quotes like "fire team."

what a wierdo!

by Yapok @, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 14:43 (3589 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 15:16 (3589 days ago) @ RC

The game is too slow and should be rendering at 60 frames per second like Call of Duty because faster is better and Titanfall did it.

His articulation is certainly interesting. Higher FPS tends to make faster motion more readable, but he basically equates the pace of gameplay with the framerate.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 17:31 (3589 days ago) @ uberfoop

His articulation is certainly interesting. Higher FPS tends to make faster motion more readable, but he basically equates the pace of gameplay with the framerate.

I get the feeling he doesn't actually know what framerate is.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 17:36 (3589 days ago) @ uberfoop

That's not really wrong per se. Take fighting games. If you fighting game is 60fps, timings can be half as tight and you can get in more inputs (thus moves) per second. This can increase the speed of the game, since you now have to take (and defend) actions twice as quickly.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 18:06 (3589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This can increase the speed of the game

Sort of. Strictly speaking, you don't technically need a high framerate for such precisely-timed mechanics to be in effect, you simply get better feedback that way. Fighting games need to display the precise frames, because their core design relies on that sort of frame-perfect action-reaction timing, and it would resultantly feel unresponsive and unreadable if a fighting game was trying to do 60Hz frame-perfect stuff with 30Hz graphics. But plenty of games in other genres run their physics at a much higher rate than their graphics output.

In the case of first-person shooters, the big direct impacts of higher framerate tend to be overall lower input lag and more readable motion. This can permit game developers to get away with faster and more complex motion, but if you want faster gameplay, "increase the framerate" is an extremely indirect and imprecise way to phrase the request.

I don't disagree that higher framerates can permits faster gameplay while maintaining a smooth experience, but equating the framerate with the pace of the gameplay in any sort of general sense is somewhat silly.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 15:35 (3589 days ago) @ RC

Apparently he thinks the AI is dumb, despite Wizards being too hard for him. The game is too slow and should be rendering at 60 frames per second like Call of Duty because faster is better and Titanfall did it. He has hoarding urges upon seeing all the gear and thinks Russia looks like Mars. He finds unlit rooms scary and thinks the word fireteam should be written with quotes like "fire team."

A perfect summation of his article, far better-written as well. I regret having clicked the link.

It isn't that bad, but he misses the point

by Durandal, Sunday, June 29, 2014, 16:59 (3588 days ago) @ DaDerga

It seemed to me more that he felt frustrated that there wasn't ACTION!!!! and EXPLOSIONS!!! all the time right from the git go. The slowness of play is more due to the mechanics of the players vs. the FPS of the game, but the two games he cites Titanfall and CoD are very twitch heavy.

Some people really like the high twitch high speed gameplay. They like to be bouncing off all the walls on Titanfall or jumping around corners in CoD, and while that can be fun it isn't Destiny's theme.

I find the CoD/Titanfall twitchfests to be somewhat rage inducing because you can be well prepped to take on an opponent coming around a corner, but the lag compensation gives the attacker a major advantage. Not to mention both have comparatively sloppy gameplay and bugs galore, but that is what some people want. They want no scope instakills and to jump shot around corners. It is sort of like reality TV vs. a good series.

Point Taken :)

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, June 30, 2014, 04:03 (3587 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

It isn't that bad, but he misses the point

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 30, 2014, 08:15 (3587 days ago) @ Durandal

It seemed to me more that he felt frustrated that there wasn't ACTION!!!! and EXPLOSIONS!!! all the time right from the git go. The slowness of play is more due to the mechanics of the players vs. the FPS of the game, but the two games he cites Titanfall and CoD are very twitch heavy.

Some people really like the high twitch high speed gameplay. They like to be bouncing off all the walls on Titanfall or jumping around corners in CoD, and while that can be fun it isn't Destiny's theme.

I find the CoD/Titanfall twitchfests to be somewhat rage inducing because you can be well prepped to take on an opponent coming around a corner, but the lag compensation gives the attacker a major advantage. Not to mention both have comparatively sloppy gameplay and bugs galore, but that is what some people want. They want no scope instakills and to jump shot around corners. It is sort of like reality TV vs. a good series.

Agreed. I didn't think he was that negative. He seemed more like he was trying to maintain a critical eye rather than just wax enthusiastically like so many others. Frankly, the alpha grew on me quite a bit. I liked it much more after having spent many hours playing it. I suspect it's the kind of game that gets its hooks in you slowly, and the alpha only teased at some of the hooks to come (especially in regards to the story, which I anticipate and hope will infuse all gameplay with more meaning than it had in the alpha). I'm not sure if game journalists had enough time playing to get a glimpse at how deep this game will go. Regardless, by the end he professed having an open mind, and like so many professional game journalists, focused on whether it will make enough money rather than will it be a good game.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread