What if Destiny sucks?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:03 (4053 days ago)

Yeah I said it

Seriously, what if the game is not fun?
What if you don't find it enjoyable?
What if its just not your kind of game?

This is the first brand spanking new Bungie franchise for me, so I am excited for all the community aspects and possibilities, yet nervous that the game may not be my thing.

I wonder what someone who has been through this before thinks (looking at you Kermit, Louis Wu [LOL @ Wouis Lu], Mig)...

After all, there are a lot of people on HBO that don't like Halo 4 that hang around still. Would you or I do the same with Destiny? I think I likely would just because I like you people :)

What if Destiny sucks?

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:05 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I've thought about this before, and I think if I didn't like it, I'd probably stick around for the community. However, it would have to be REALLY bad for me not to like it- I am not all that picky about games.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:06 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

[image]

What if Destiny sucks?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:10 (4053 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

No I'm serious!

What if its a type of game that is not your thing?

What if Destiny sucks?

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:14 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Then don't play it.

HBO will still be there. I still visit HBO cus I still play Halo 4, and I still like Halo as a whole. If you don't like Destiny there really would be no point being here.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:29 (4053 days ago) @ RC

Then don't play it.

HBO will still be there. I still visit HBO cus I still play Halo 4, and I still like Halo as a whole. If you don't like Destiny there really would be no point being here.

You would think that, wouldn't you? And yet there are numerous people on HBO that hate Halo 4 or dislike everything about 343 and yet they continue to come around. The ones that Halo had been "ruined" for.

*Shrug*

Legitimate response, I accept your POV but the reality is that these days, I find myself more invested in these forums when it comes to the franchise it represents. But this is different. This is new. I've never been in this situation before.

I've never been loyal to a game company. I've never just went out and bought a game because studio x made it. I just wonder how many are feeling the same excitement/anxiety that I am with this.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Louis Wu @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:08 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

You would think that, wouldn't you? And yet there are numerous people on HBO that hate Halo 4 or dislike everything about 343 and yet they continue to come around. The ones that Halo had been "ruined" for.

But they like OTHER Halos.

There are no other Destiny titles. If you don't like this one, you have no reason to hang around.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:54 (4053 days ago) @ Louis Wu

I think I struck a nerve with you. Sorry.

Kermit and Xenos got through to me. Like I said, this maybe your 5th, 10th, billionth Bungie game.

It's only my second.

This site going live was that wakeup call for me and has me antsy to just see the damn thing already. I hate not knowing.

What if Destiny sucks?

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:21 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

A few years ago, World of Warcraft occupied a considerable part of my free time. I loved it — lived, breathed and enjoyed the game, the lore, the community, the raiding, the music… But we grow older. We move on.

I've already accepted that I have reached that point with the Halo franchise. I would be lying if I didn't confess that I have high hopes for Destiny, but if it *doesn't* hit the high note I hope it will, then that's not necessarily a tragedy.

Somewhere out there, another team is working on the next game to capture your imagination. Maybe that team is Bungie. Maybe it's not. We shall see.

What if Destiny sucks?

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:53 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

You missed a key part of my post: they like other Halos. Nobody I know of comes to HBO because we're just super-awesome people.

I've never been loyal to a game company. I've never just went out and bought a game because studio x made it. I just wonder how many are feeling the same excitement/anxiety that I am with this.

I have. I bought Mass Effect solely on the strength of Bioware as the developer. I never got involved with the ME fanbase much, but that doesn't matter - still had fun with the game.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:17 (4053 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:22

In all seriousness, Bungie hasn't made a game from Marathon on* that I didn't enjoy, even if the genre wasn't something I'd played before. In actuality, they usually tweaked the genre I'd been wary of in ways that removed stuff I didn't like, but left the fun. They've done this enough times to earn my loyalty and for me any game with their logo on it is worth a playthrough.

It's possible that I will be disappointed, yes, but it's a bit like a singer whose voice you like. Van Morrison singing Mary Had a Little Lamb is still nice.

*first edit. Yay!

This makes me feel so much better. Sorry everyone else.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:44 (4053 days ago) @ Kermit

In all seriousness, Bungie hasn't made a game from Marathon on* that I didn't enjoy, even if the genre wasn't something I'd played before. In actuality, they usually tweaked the genre I'd been wary of in ways that removed stuff I didn't like, but left the fun. They've done this enough times to earn my loyalty and for me any game with their logo on it is worth a playthrough.

It's possible that I will be disappointed, yes, but it's a bit like a singer whose voice you like. Van Morrison singing Mary Had a Little Lamb is still nice.

*first edit. Yay!

This is what I was hoping to hear from someone who's followed them for so long.

My apologies if the first post rubbed a few of you the wrong way, but please remember:

I don't have the history and investment that a lot of you do with Bungie. I wasn't old enough to play most of their games when I was a kid. I never played Myth, Marathon, gnop! or Pathways into Darkness.I played ONI but didn't like it, that was a long time ago and I didn't know that Bungie had made both games. All I have from them is Halo. There is only one other video game franchise that I've followed or been sucked into as much as Halo.

Back then it never occurred to me to follow the studio before. Hell, I found HBO accidentally BEFORE I ever found Bungie.net because I was searching for art from Halo. It led me to HBO. THEN, I found Bungie. That was in like 2002. I didn't post on either site for many years after that.

What's different about Halo for me though, is you guys. I'm just nervous that if I don't like the next thing that it means the end of .... that "feeling" of being here.

This is just all so NEW for me. I've never been part of something from day 1 or participated in a community like this. HBO and Halo set the bar so high and I didn't realize it until this site became live.

Idk. Ignore me, I'm just dumb and unsure.

This makes me feel so much better. Sorry everyone else.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:17 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

It's cool, dude. Sorry if my initial post set the tone for several later responses. We all are a little anxious. Having seen Bungie shift gears successfully helps subdue that anxiety, but there's still some trepidation.

One fear of mine is that the game will require more time than I have to really enjoy it. Another is how Microsoft might (if rumors of the new Xbox are true) revamp the economics of gaming such that I don't want to pay (or give up) what's required.

We shall see.

What if Destiny sucks?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:14 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I've been thinking about this just now, in fact.

I think that, even if I don't like the game itself at all, the story probably will be engaging enough to keep me around here anyways.

What if Destiny sucks?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:16 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Go back and look at some of the early posts of HBO. There were some people who didn't like Halo when it was announced, and some that really didn't like Bungie being bought by Microsoft. Then look at the forum after each of the Halo games were released. There were people that really didn't like each game. Some still hung around, some moved on to other things. I think it will be the same with Destiny. I think it'll please most of the people here. It might not appeal to others. So goes the ebb and flow of the community.

What if Destiny sucks?

by katancik ⌂ @, Portland, OR/ University of Texas, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:29 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

If you think about the Halo games, and the people making Destiny, could it really be bad?

The answer is "no"

Love something

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:36 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Like I posted in my forum tips and tricks thread, all I personally hope is that DBO is, at the very least, an optimistic place until Destiny arrives. Because this isn't Halo, and I don't think it should be defined by the same standards. Destiny should be given a fair shot by the most jaded and pessimistic, by the Halo-haters and the Halo-lovers. There's no classic original to compare it to here - this is the first of a brand new thing. And if some folks end up being disappointed, but still enjoy the community, I hope they can find a way to still have fun with DBO without filling the boards up with negativity. That's what I mean by my title: there should be some positive reason you're here, right? Why else would you be here? If you hate Destiny, love the community.

I like 343 and while I didn't hate Halo 4, it also didn't hit the chords that define the Halo universe for me. So while I love HBO, I find myself posting less because, even though I often agree with some things said, I just don't want to join those hate-bandwagon threads. The constructive criticism is great, but then at times there's just avalanches of rants and venting, and I don't see where that benefits anybody. Instead, I've focused on classic Halo, good Lore debates, and having fun with the community in Spartan Ops.

If those kinds of rants and raves do happen here in the future, I hope at least it happens based on Destiny's own goals and merits - and not because it isn't Halo.

We need a "like" button. *NM*

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:50 (4053 days ago) @ Leviathan

And an ability to do NM posts.

We need one like a fish needs a Stairmaster.

by Quirel, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:38 (4053 days ago) @ bluerunner

Aren't the edit buttons and the BBcodes enough?

Love something

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:26 (4053 days ago) @ Leviathan

Like I posted in my forum tips and tricks thread, all I personally hope is that DBO is, at the very least, an optimistic place until Destiny arrives. Because this isn't Halo, and I don't think it should be defined by the same standards. Destiny should be given a fair shot by the most jaded and pessimistic, by the Halo-haters and the Halo-lovers. There's no classic original to compare it to here - this is the first of a brand new thing. And if some folks end up being disappointed, but still enjoy the community, I hope they can find a way to still have fun with DBO without filling the boards up with negativity. That's what I mean by my title: there should be some positive reason you're here, right? Why else would you be here? If you hate Destiny, love the community.

I like 343 and while I didn't hate Halo 4, it also didn't hit the chords that define the Halo universe for me. So while I love HBO, I find myself posting less because, even though I often agree with some things said, I just don't want to join those hate-bandwagon threads. The constructive criticism is great, but then at times there's just avalanches of rants and venting, and I don't see where that benefits anybody. Instead, I've focused on classic Halo, good Lore debates, and having fun with the community in Spartan Ops.

If those kinds of rants and raves do happen here in the future, I hope at least it happens based on Destiny's own goals and merits - and not because it isn't Halo.

Well said.

I'm optimistic about it, don't get me wrong. I'm just as anxious to see exactly what it is as much as everyone else here.

And while nothing has been confirmed, the only thing I worry about is what kind of game its going to be. There isn't a whole lot that I flat out don't like, but if its a game like and MMO/RPG I worry because I've tried them in the past and they just never clicked with me. I also know that I don't like games in the fantasy /magic genre but I LOVE Sci-fi.

You're right- for me, the most important factor is going to be the story. If Bungie nails that it will make it easier for me to enjoy.

I'm just nervous. I've never followed a studio before so this is new territory for me.

Love something

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:42 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

And while nothing has been confirmed, the only thing I worry about is what kind of game its going to be. There isn't a whole lot that I flat out don't like, but if its a game like and MMO/RPG I worry because I've tried them in the past and they just never clicked with me. I also know that I don't like games in the fantasy /magic genre but I LOVE Sci-fi.

I had never loved an FPS before I played Halo: CE. :)

Love something

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:43 (4053 days ago) @ Leviathan

Likewise actually.

Love something

by Ducain ⌂, Ormond Beach, FL, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:47 (4053 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Likewise actually.

Ditto.

Love something

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:56 (4053 days ago) @ Ducain

Likewise actually.

Ditto.

Nor after. Halo is the only FPS series I've "loved"

I liked TFC/Half life and Doom, but that's about it. Oh, and Turok and Goldeneye for N64, but again - likes, not loves :)

Love something

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:59 (4053 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Halo opened up a whole new world of gaming. At least 50% of my 360 titles are shooters, whereas in the time before Halo I almost exclusively played space-sims and RTS's.

Love something

by Urban, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:59 (4053 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Why is this forum laid out like this? Im having problems navigating...may crash

What if Destiny sucks?

by Mapkar, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 08:37 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

What if it ends up like lost planet? I have that vibe coming from it...

What if a giant meteor hits right before release?

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:00 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

There's zero point in setting expectations now when we know almost nothing about Destiny. Let's wait until we've at least seen something about it.

-- Steve doesn't see the point in stampeding this early; it'll tire us out before the thing gets released.

2012 DA14

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:06 (4053 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Half the size of a football field. Is going to pass between the Earth and the GPS satellites. One little nudge and we're all doomed!

Nothing that can't be fixed with a giant slingshot *NM*

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:20 (4053 days ago) @ Ragashingo

... and enough enemies to shoot out of it.

viva la *NM*

Exciting, isn't it?

by Quirel, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:42 (4053 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Haven't felt this level of impending doom since the Berlin Wall came down. Which, seeing as I was born in 1990, means that I missed out.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Los Lotus, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:05 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Every Bungie game with the exception of ONI has been pretty damn good. Thats good enough for me.

I hate to quote Michael Pachter, but all over Bungie's 360 titles have sold over 6 million world wide (I think). I know they are all Halo games, but thats a great track record

What if Destiny sucks?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:11 (4053 days ago) @ Los Lotus

Every Bungie game with the exception of ONI has been pretty damn good. Thats good enough for me.

I thought ONI was pretty damn good. Great music, sound, and fighting mechanic.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:17 (4053 days ago) @ Kermit

I still haven't played ONI, so I couldn't comment on that; I'd love to try it to see for myself. Neither have I played Pathways Into Darkness, though I've read a bunch written by those who have. I have played Marathon and Myth and found them well done, though I suck horribly at the latter.

-- Steve glommed onto Bungie fandom for a reason.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:34 (4053 days ago) @ Kermit

Indeed. I played the heck out of the Oni (it's not the Office of Naval Intelligence folks :p) demo that came on a MacAddict CD way back when. The backtracking on multiplayer seemed to bother a lot of people but since I hadn't followed the development of the game I didn't miss it. Oni had a great hand to hand combat system, crappy guns, a bit of a rushed story that had a ton of interesting bits, and graphics that were quickly surpassed by the game industry. It just wasn't a massively successful game changer like Halo was a few years later and perhaps gets overshadowed for that reason.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Avateur @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:28 (4052 days ago) @ Los Lotus

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. I absolutely respect your opinion, but I strongly disagree! Though I may be biased because it was the first Bungie game I ever played, and I loved it.

What if Destiny sucks?

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:16 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

This the internet; I'm sure everyone will be mature and civil as they express their displeasure.

Hopefully, since Destiny will be something new, and apparently pretty innovative, it should be shielded from the old "I just wanted the old game" curse. If Destiny fails, it'll probably need to fail pretty spectacularly to get a really negative reaction round these parts.

Okay, I'm way oversimplifying here...

What if I never find love?

by Jillybean, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:18 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Or a job? Or what if I never even pass my PhD? Oh my god, what if the monkeys rise up and take over the world, what if the postman's late tomorrow and I don't get the box set of Jericho, what if Commander Shepard gets kidnapped by batarians in a hundred odd years time and no one saves the galaxy from the Reapers, what if me and my friends never get past that damned ghost castle in Super Mario Brothers, what if they find the bodies in the fireplace, what if they don't, what if Destiny is the greatest game ever but a cat steals my opposable thumbs so I never get to play it, what if I go mad with power, what if I have already gone mad with power, what if the voices are true, what if I type what if so many times it starts to lose its meaning, what if the angels fall, what if a sphere appears in the sky, what if . . .

by Ducain ⌂, Ormond Beach, FL, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:20 (4053 days ago) @ Jillybean

Personally, I welcome our simian overlords.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:38 (4053 days ago) @ Jillybean

What if Jillybean goes bananas on the forum... oh wait

What if Destiny sucks?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:19 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

With what little information we have on Destiny I look at it this way: This is the game Bungie went independent for. This is the game that they gave up Halo for. This is the game that they shopped around and got a three game contract for. Just given that I can't imagine that Destiny, whatever it is, will be a flop.

What it might be is a game that you personally don't want to play. Maybe someone doesn't like shooter, or RPGs, for me it's dual stick shooters like Geometry Wars. I can't stand the constant maneuvering and the constant aiming. They just aren't for me. If Destiny was somehow a really big Geometry Wars clone I wouldn't buy it or play it but I'd stop back here every once in a while to check the story.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:20 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Then next year's DBOBP would be in serious danger.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Jillybean, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:22 (4053 days ago) @ Schooly D

Wait, there's going to be a DBOBP? Where was my invite?

What if Destiny sucks?

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:30 (4053 days ago) @ Jillybean

Wait, there's going to be a DBOBP? Where was my invite?

Taped to the back of your HBOMB invite. It was a package deal, but you declined.

Now, not only will you never know the joy of hurtling down snow-covered slopes with HBOers, you will also never know the joy of chillaxing with DBOers in a house on a cliff overlooking a beach while eating steak.

Sorry. There's always next franchise, though.

I am genuinely, slightly afraid that you are serious.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, February 22, 2013, 17:38 (4042 days ago) @ Schooly D

Beach Party, Whaaaa?!?!?! That's awesome!

What if Destiny sucks?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:32 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I've been a Bungie fan since Marathon 1 was released for Mac, so let me give my 2 cents about Bungie and Bungie fandom:

First of all, the reason I love Bungie is because they make games that they want to play, and since they are gamers, that usually means games that gamers want to play. Does that mean it'll necessarily be the genre or setting that you love? No of course not, but I have very little doubt that the game will be high quality and enjoyable.

Secondly, even when I haven't loved their new game, (Myth is probably the only series I never got completely into, strategy has never been my favorite genre) I appreciate the community of fans. Back when Bungie.org was bigger I was there every day even during the long periods of time that they didn't release a game, and even if I stop playing Halo games I'll probably still visit Halo.Bungie.Org because Bungie fans (in general) are awesome people.

So stay if you like the community, or stick with the Halo community, or leave altogether, I'll still be here.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:36 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

You know, I don't think this is a problem we should really worry about. If you don't like a game, you usually don't play it that much. The problem solves itself.

Sure, it may be hard to leave the community behind that you have enjoyed in the past, but you necessarily have to leave. You can still enjoy playing games with the community that you do enjoy (presuming there are any games worth enjoying).

There are also plenty of other enjoyable hobbies out there, and tons of people to enjoy them with. Do what makes you happy, rather than forcing yourself to do things that don't. Sometimes you just need to move on.

In my opinion, this console generation has lasted so long that many developers are focused too much on making their game look good rather than play good. I just hope Bungie doesn't fall into this trap.

What if Destiny sucks?

by manti452, Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:44 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

This actually worries me a lot.. not that the game will suck [I trust Bungie to make a quality game] but that it won't be a game or genre type that I can enjoy. I'm not a fan or RTS or some such.. and it would really disappoint me not to enjoy it.

What would that mean for me? Probably not buying on zero day but waiting and trying a second hand copy down the road.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Jillybean, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:49 (4053 days ago) @ manti452

Hell, that's what I did with Halo 4. I wasn't that fussed with the continuing story so I waited and played my sister's copy then decided it wasn't something I wanted to buy. It's also why I'm not around HBO much at the moment. Fandom changes. Life moves on.

What if Destiny sucks?

by manti452, Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:35 (4053 days ago) @ Jillybean

Hell, that's what I did with Halo 4. I wasn't that fussed with the continuing story so I waited and played my sister's copy then decided it wasn't something I wanted to buy. It's also why I'm not around HBO much at the moment. Fandom changes. Life moves on.

Indeed it does.. I'm slowly loosing my faith in Halo and that saddens me..

And if moving here means more posts from you.. that's a win I'll take ;) I was always a fan of your speculative posts

What if Destiny sucks?

by Jillybean, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:04 (4053 days ago) @ manti452

Oh yeah, we need some speculation up in here!

Easy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 09:57 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'm fully prepared for it to.

The answer is simple. I will simply transition from being a lifelong Bungie fan, to being an ex lifelong Bungie fan.

There are lots of great games out there to play, so nothing is lost if it sucks. Just move on.

I do believe we're on the same page

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:26 (4053 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think a lot of present Bungie fans are facing up to potential cognitive dissonance with the Destiny series. But there's also the weight of expectation that — certainly for the majority — simply wasn't there with Halo. I played the Myth II demo back in something like 1998 but wasn't drawn in. My first ‘wow’ moment came with that August 1999 Macworld demo. I suspect we're going to see a lot of new fans drawn in with Destiny's reveal, and for them that ‘wow’ moment is just around the corner…

What if Destiny rocks?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:04 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

What if it's so great that we play and play and don't eat and then die. That would suck.

What if Destiny rocks?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:12 (4053 days ago) @ Kermit

What if it's so great that when we die from not eating we don't care?!?

What if Destiny rocks?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:18 (4053 days ago) @ Kermit

What if it's so great that we play and play and don't eat and then die. That would suck.

The only thing better than a great story is a really fucking delicious meal. Such a thing is impossible for even the most mildly sane.

What if Destiny rocks?

by Urban, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:28 (4053 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Im hoping thats exactly what happens. Real world sucks

Bring me the exciting new universe!

Minus starving to death

What if Destiny rocks?

by Quirel, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:21 (4053 days ago) @ Kermit

Then we will have amused ourselves to death.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:04 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Yeah I said it

This is the first brand spanking new Bungie franchise for me, so I am excited for all the community aspects and possibilities, yet nervous that the game may not be my thing.

I wonder what someone who has been through this before thinks (looking at you Kermit, Louis Wu [LOL @ Wouis Lu], Mig)...

After all, there are a lot of people on HBO that don't like Halo 4 that hang around still. Would you or I do the same with Destiny? I think I likely would just because I like you people :)

Nah, Destiny won't suck because I was upgraded by the Liberian with the same force-powers as Darth Didact, and I've been beaming don't-make-it-suck instructions to Bungie ever since.

What if Destiny sucks?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:10 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Yeah I said it

This is my first new Bungie franchise as well. I'm not sure what to expect.

It sounds like it will be somehow an FPS, and I think it's extremely unlikely that I won't enjoy the moment-to-moment gameplay of any Bungie-developed FPS, so I'm optimistic on the game mechanics.

On the other hand, I've played MMORPGs before, and I really don't want to get sucked into that again. If Destiny requires the sort of time commitment traditionally needed to do well and keep up in an "MMO" game, I may not be interested. I'm also not really into PVP combat anymore, so that's a possible pitfall. It remains to be seen how much PVE (player-versus-environment, as in not fighting other players) and PVP there is, or how those concepts even apply to Destiny (if at all). So, we'll see.

Regardless of what happens with Destiny, remember that HBO is still there, at least for the time being. There's likely to still be a fair number of Halo enthusiasts there.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:59 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'm going to try not to think of that anymore than I already have. My love/admiration/loyalty to Bungie began the second I popped Halo: Combat Evolved into my Xbox and that was three years before I even fell madly in love with the Haloverse as a whole.

If it does suck, which I doubt considerably, I'm not going to stop playing the game or leave the community. ODST and Reach weren't all that fun [for me], but I still kept coming back. Its going to have to be REALLY terrible for me to drop everything.

Nevertheless, I have the utmost confidence in Bungie in delivering a rich universe for us to dive into.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Urban, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:06 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I suggest you get a coke, some ice and flipflops.

Relax, put ya feet up, tape a smile to your face :)

And leave your doubts and paranoid thoughts behind.

What if Destiny sucks?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:03 (4053 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I was introduced to Halo:CE shortly after it was released, by a friend in school. Before that, I had hardly played video games. Suffice to say, I fell in love. To me, this past decade+ with Bungie have been like finding and getting to know a new best friend. Sure, there are people who have known Bungie longer, who have been there since it's infancy and are more familiar with it than I am, but everything I have come to know about Bungie I have loved. The feel of their games, their attitude, their personality (yes, Bungie has a personality), everything about Bungie I have come to love. And that love makes me more excited and more terrified for Destiny. I'm not sure what I'll do if the game isn't my cup of tea; I'm gonna wait to see the game before worrying about that. But Bungie will always have my love and support.

What if Destiny sucks?

by PsychoRaven, Oklahoma, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 13:46 (4052 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Honestly if it sucks then so be it. However I can say that I've loved and I mean loved every single damn game Bungie has made. Even those that others aren't so keen on. So the odds of me not loving this game are going to be very very slim.

What if Destiny sucks?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:31 (4052 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Horrible, awesome, somewhere in the middle - I'm just excited to see what it is. Evolution, man. It's exciting.

RIP Destiny

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:42 (4052 days ago) @ Revenant1988

;)

DBO: Dead before it starts

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:50 (4052 days ago) @ biggy

whoosh!

Community bro...

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:51 (4052 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'm gonna be honest. I will be hanging around HBO more than DBO.

I am a Halo fan. I have never been so enthralled by a universe or series before like I am with Halo. It is because of Halo that I know what I want to do with my life career wise. I doubt Destiny will have the same effect on me. That said though, I love these people, and this community so much that even if I despise Destiny (Incredibly unlikely) I will still poke my head around here often and as always be dedicated to HBO.

You know...

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 18:32 (4052 days ago) @ bryan newman

A lot of my life was shaped by my fandom of Halo. My whole career choice was kickstarted by my love of drawing Halo characters. I met my best friend of several years now through a mutual friend in a game of Halo 3. And I got to hang out with you guys at PAX, and had a great time. A lot of very important moments in my life developed from my passion for that series.

I don't know that Destiny will be able to do the same. Maybe it's just because I'm a bit older and slightly jaded. I just hope the next generation of kids like me will pick up Destiny and have some of the coolest experiences in their life because of their fandom. :)

It's all about Bungie

by Avateur @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:23 (4052 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'd like to think that even if I don't like Destiny, I'd still stick around to see what others think about it. We're still bungie.org, and even if I don't like the game itself, I do like the community. I don't enjoy Halo 4 very much, but the community itself is worth more to me than a single game I might not enjoy.

So sure, maybe I won't enjoy Destiny, but I definitely love this community and I'm sure Destiny will have something that I like. Hell, I enjoy Spartan Ops even with all of its flaws. How could a Bungie game be an outright complete failure in attracting me to it in every way, shape, and form? Well, hopefully I don't ever find out. :P

Agree!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:27 (4052 days ago) @ Avateur

Here, have all of my hugs. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread