Help us design the DBO logo!

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 19:44 (4080 days ago)

Destiny.Bungie.Org is coming together, piece by piece, but we need your help designing a logo that will last us the next ten years.

It should be something to represent DBO. Something unique to us that evokes the spirit of Destiny. Something Bungie doesn't already have a trademark for.

You don't have to be a Leviathan-level artist to contribute - if you have an idea you like, just throw it together in MS Paint and (if it sparks interest) we can get someone with a steady hand to transform it into a usable logo.

Things to consider:
- A clear, simple design is preferable to something that won't look good at smaller sizes/resolutions.
- This logo should look good on a T-shirt. (i.e. Keep the number of colors to a minimum.)
- Your submission can have text or just be a symbol - you don't have to include "DBO" or "Destiny.Bungie.Org" in the design.

Possible inspiration:
- The Bungie.org logo. (link to high-res)
- Destiny concept art and logos. (Just don't directly copy a logo from them.)
- Old sea charts. (Though Puerto Princesa is already taken.)
- Ptolemy's Almagest sketches. (example)
- Anything else you can think of!

This is a collaboration, NOT a contest. There is no voting round - a week from now the DBO staff will select a logo we feel best fits the site's needs.

That said, I'm sure we can find some small way to thank the person (or persons, if co-created) that helps bring our new hallmark to light.

Right now we really like this idea that Grim, Levi, and Beorn have been developing behind the scenes:

[image]

Beat that! You have ONE WEEK from the time of this post before we pick a final logo idea (or settle on the one above). The key word here is IDEA, we can finalize the actual art afterwards.

TLDR:
- Come up with a logo design and post the image (or just the idea) in this thread.
- This is not a contest. Work together!
- Please don't be offended if, in the end, we decide to just stick with the logo above.
- Have fun with it!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:02 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

No drawing skills myself, but I thought of using the b.org logo several times, aligned, to create a sphere, sort of like the AT&T logo. Maybe make the axis of alignment horizontal instead of vertical.

And, if possible, recreate the holes the Traveler has by sketching on the rings' bottom part. In my mind, the number of rings shouldn't be excessive (but 7 would be a nice number, for obvious reasons.

Here you go. The FACE of DBO!!!

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:06 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Contest is over. Go back to your lives.

[image]

I foresee this logo causing neck problems. Nice shirt!

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:09 (4080 days ago) @ bryan newman

- No text -

Any admin that would like to flip the image...please help.

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:09 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:15 (4080 days ago) @ bryan newman

This time don't hold it sideways.

I JUST CAN'T PLEASE YOU!!!

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:17 (4080 days ago) @ Kermit

My camera holding techniques have always been your greatest source of fury.

LOL!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:19 (4080 days ago) @ bryan newman

- No text -

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 06:32 (4080 days ago) @ Kermit

This time don't hold it sideways.

Or upgrade to a cameraphone that senses orientation

(cameraphone? who says that any more?)

I wasn't holding it sideways, he was joking. Imgur is dumb.

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 17:07 (4078 days ago) @ thebruce

Also iPhone

I could...

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:16 (4080 days ago) @ bryan newman

but that would invalidate my comment! No sale.

Thought it was intentional. Take the credit. ;)

Here you go. The FACE of DBO!!!

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:28 (4080 days ago) @ bryan newman

The first couple of times I passed over this, I thought it was Postmortem.

Here you go. The FACE of Boe!!!

by Warbow, Friday, February 22, 2013, 11:55 (4079 days ago) @ bryan newman

[image]

Having finally started watching Dr. Who...

by Ibeechu ⌂ @, Portland, OR, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 06:25 (4079 days ago) @ Warbow
edited by Ibeechu, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 06:29

[image]

Ha, this is great

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 06:35 (4079 days ago) @ Ibeechu

And I feel that exact same way a most of the time!

+10 Respect

by zoojoo ⌂ @, Iowa, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 18:27 (4078 days ago) @ Warbow

- No text -

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:09 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

[image]

by Funkmon @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 21:55 (4080 days ago) @ Schooly D

Something offputting about this, Schooly, but I can't figure out what it is.

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:27 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I've actually been trying to do this for a while; I went through a lot of (really bad) designs the last week and a half.

Thank you???

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:35 (4080 days ago) @ kanbo

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:34 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Here's my idea. See the Ptolemy sketch in the upper left corner. Something like that but with vertical lines suggesting the D, the B, and the 0 maybe smaller and offset, evoking the Traveler?

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:45 (4080 days ago) @ Kermit

Here's my idea. See the Ptolemy sketch in the upper left corner. Something like that but with vertical lines suggesting the D, the B, and the 0 maybe smaller and offset, evoking the Traveler?

Heh, that sounds vaguely similar to the designs I've been playing around with:

[image]

Unfortunately, I'm not an amazing artist so this is about as good as it gets from me. :P

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:57 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

That last one is getting somewhere, methinks.

I was thinking of something closer to the sketch, and imagining the vertical lines dividing the circles and extending all the way down, and the final circle offset.

A bit more star chartey. :)

by Bunn, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 21:41 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I was thinking along the same lines (no pun intended!) but I couldn't quite figure out how to flesh out the shapes. Something about the linear makes it look so dated. I think it would be cool to play around with line weights, and somehow figure out how to make it look more organic (and less phallic), though not necessarily 3 dimensional. Also going back and forth on whether it should be symmetrical...[image][image]

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 22:28 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Based on your third idea...
[image]
And adding in Kermit's "contrails" suggestion (poorly)...
[image]

I like the second one...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 22:30 (4080 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

Maybe make the o look more like the Traveler though?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 22:46 (4080 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

I'd suggest adding in some of the Traveler's structural damage to the bottom.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 22:48 (4080 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

That second one is quite interesting. I still can't shake the "1960's broadcast corporation" vibe, though.

Ditto... =/

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 06:33 (4080 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

One more small idea

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 23:00 (4080 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

Maybe put a city scape against the bottom of the circle also

New Ones

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 23:17 (4080 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

Just playing with it at this point.

(I can't get the traveler damage to look good on the whole thing. Perhaps someone more skillful than I could have a go at that.)

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

New Ones

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 23:31 (4080 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

[image]

This is my favorite of them.

New Ones

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 23:54 (4080 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]
[image]

I'm partial to this one, myself. I think it'd stand up better to downscaling. (The traveler patterning in a single letter would just end up looking bad at small sizes, methinks.) It's also got direct refereces to Destiny and Bungie without having an overload of content (only three colors.) I'd like to rework the contrail a bit, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

New Ones

by GauntMkII, Friday, February 22, 2013, 05:03 (4080 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

I like this one as well. The blue bungie-style circle is a nice splash of colour, but having the cityscape *and* the traveller damage *and* the contrail all at once looks too busy. I think this one strikes a nice balance.

I'm the only one who sees the penis?

by Jillybean, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 18:13 (4078 days ago) @ Xenos

REALLY?!

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 19:26 (4078 days ago) @ Jillybean

You're not the only one, but I didn't see a good way to make it less penis-y without completely changing it.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 00:23 (4078 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

I didn't see a good way to make it less penis-y without completely changing it.

^If the front page gets rotating taglines, I suggest this.^

There was a version with an arrow on top. That's gone.

by scarab @, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 03:40 (4078 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

New Ones

by Monochron, Friday, February 22, 2013, 05:34 (4080 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

Maybe make the outer circle the traveler, that is, put the Traveler damage on the bottom circle where you have the cityscape.

Then throw the 'dbo' into relief so the Traveler itself is more in the forefront.

Another Variant

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:56 (4079 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

Just playing with the B.org logo, and I decided to throw in some dots below the letters. Thoughts?

[image][image]

prob better without any of the black parts at all

by scarab @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 06:09 (4079 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

- No text -

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:59 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

[image]

Beat that! You have ONE WEEK from the time of this post before we pick a final logo idea (or settle on the one above). The key word here is IDEA, we can finalize the actual art afterwards.

I really dig that, but I'm curious how it would look if the O were horizontal under the Traveler.

Something a bit like this?

[image]

Quick and dirty mock up is quick and dirty. The thought is mimicking the Traveler hanging over Earth.

Another inspiration...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 21:06 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Contrails. They're cool. Bungie obviously knows this, too.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 21:51 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Just want to say the in not a fan of what has been shown. It should be noted - the reason the HBO logo works is because of "HALO".

We have a Giant Orb to contend with people.

Shouldn't. Be. Too. Hard?

I'll see what I can whip up... if I can find the time to do so.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 22:47 (4080 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Just want to say the in not a fan of what has been shown. It should be noted - the reason the HBO logo works is because of "HALO".

We have a Giant Orb to contend with people.

Shouldn't. Be. Too. Hard?

I'll see what I can whip up... if I can find the time to do so.

I agree with you about the "ring" in the B.org logo being problematic. The initial thought about turning the B.org logo into the Traveller was mostly for continuity, but the more I play with it, the more I feel like we're shoehorning ourselves into Halo's boots with the design. This is supposed to be a new, fresh start! Let's get crazy! It's tricky to come up with a tie-in when we have so little to go on, though.

I agree with this

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 22:56 (4080 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The halo-ey/oval design doesn't feel suited to Destiny. I like what Kermit and Duncan were onto though, with the circles and lines stuff. I might try my hand at something, though I am lacking in the artistic skills department.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 22, 2013, 04:02 (4080 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

This post - and its replies - tickle me.

The reason the HBO logo works is because it's unique - but the fact that it has a ring in is COMPLETELY coincidental, with respect to Halo.

The logo came from Craig Mullins, originally, as a throwaway decoration on a building from a picture he created in the mid-90s. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Halo, and in fact when we asked him if we could adopt it as the bungie.org logo, we had never even CONCEIVED of Halo, much less seen it.

http://marathon.bungie.org/temp/cmullins.html?image=infinity_bg

I'm not throwing it away (or leaving it out of destiny.bungie.org) just because it's ABSORBED a 'Halo' feel over the years... it's still the bungie.org logo, and appears on every single one of our subsites.

Lol, looks like I've got some learning to do

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, February 22, 2013, 06:25 (4080 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I guess I haven't been around long enough to know this. That said, the b.org symbol/traveller hybrid still has an odd look to it. My .02, I really like what Dean Hofmeyer is doing. Perhaps the b.org symbol could be worked into that somehow?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 06:47 (4080 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The reason the HBO logo works is because it's unique - but the fact that it has a ring in is COMPLETELY coincidental, with respect to Halo.

The logo came from Craig Mullins, originally, as a throwaway decoration on a building from a picture he created in the mid-90s. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Halo, and in fact when we asked him if we could adopt it as the bungie.org logo, we had never even CONCEIVED of Halo, much less seen it.

I'm not throwing it away (or leaving it out of destiny.bungie.org) just because it's ABSORBED a 'Halo' feel over the years... it's still the bungie.org logo, and appears on every single one of our subsites.

This is a nice reminder. The original logo looked more like a bowl than a halo ring anyway--we just saw what we wanted to see.

Now when I think about it, I like the original thing Levi and company were working with, except I'm remove the damage. It's stylized, remember. A logo.

The standard logo inside a white sphere might be perfect.

Kerm

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:28 (4079 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's good to know! It's really cool that the symbol has that much history, do we have a vector copy somewhere to use? I can do a quick mock up too, but if we have an official version it would be nice and probably time saving!

Nermind, forgot to check original post!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:29 (4079 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

by Avateur @, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:50 (4079 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I was about to post this. That and it's sort of the general Bungie.org icon. You even threw it onto ABO, and ABO is really for any Bungie ARG in general regardless of title.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 10:36 (4078 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So what do you want another logo for?

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 16:02 (4078 days ago) @ General Vagueness

So what do you want another logo for?

Did you miss the part where a majority of the community believes that the bungie.org logo is specifically a Halo logo?

I guess we'd like something that sets the next 10 years apart from the previous 10 years.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 17:48 (4078 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Did you miss the part where a majority of the community believes that the bungie.org logo is specifically a Halo logo?

No, I would've set them straight if it hadn't already been done in this thread-- twice in fact. Some people, huh? huh? :D

I guess we'd like something that sets the next 10 years apart from the previous 10 years.

I think that would be more like the previous 14 years, but I get that.
The fact remains HBO doesn't have a logo, so... IDK, it kind of doesn't seem fair to HBO, and it seems like admitting that was HBO's logo when it wasn't. I know the unfairness here would be against the subsite, which is unthinking, unfeeling, etc., so that's not important, but if there was a logo for it it would represent the people there too-- that's still not that big of a thing though, I guess, and I know there isn't any deception intended either, it just doesn't feel quite right.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 18:32 (4078 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Okay. (I've never understood you well enough to figure out where you're coming from, so it's easier just to say okay.)

by kapowaz, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 02:53 (4078 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So, just to be clear, is this a new requirement that proposals not incorporate the b.org logo? Duncan's original post suggests otherwise, but I suppose there's some wiggle room for interpretation there ('inspired by' not necessarily meaning 'incorporating'). Thanks!

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 05:16 (4078 days ago) @ kapowaz

So, just to be clear, is this a new requirement that proposals not incorporate the b.org logo? Duncan's original post suggests otherwise, but I suppose there's some wiggle room for interpretation there ('inspired by' not necessarily meaning 'incorporating'). Thanks!

No, not at all. In fact, I'm probably going to veto any option that DOESN'T include the b.org logo somehow. It's who we are.

I shouldn't have responded to GV - I know better. Sorry for the confusion.

Understandable

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 06:08 (4078 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Mission accepted!

by Avateur @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 21:56 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by Avateur, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 22:05

First, I really want to thank CrazedOne for stepping in and helping me after I had troubles reworking some of the colors, edges, and making everything fit together the way I wanted it to.

So you got me thinking. You said collaboration, and I really like what Grim, Levi, and Beorn thought up. But then I also like what Schooly just posted in this thread. I also really like the background Bungie gave us at the end of the mini-ARG. And Crazed absolutely helped me put this together. Now, I'm not entirely sure about how well it works at smaller sizes, but I think it fits the "look good on a T-shirt" part perfectly. Check it out:

[image]

Haha, wow.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 23:40 (4080 days ago) @ Avateur

First, I really want to thank CrazedOne for stepping in and helping me after I had troubles reworking some of the colors, edges, and making everything fit together the way I wanted it to.

So you got me thinking. You said collaboration, and I really like what Grim, Levi, and Beorn thought up. But then I also like what Schooly just posted in this thread. I also really like the background Bungie gave us at the end of the mini-ARG. And Crazed absolutely helped me put this together. Now, I'm not entirely sure about how well it works at smaller sizes, but I think it fits the "look good on a T-shirt" part perfectly. Check it out:

[image]

I was about to do something pretty similar actually.

Also like the idea Schooly had about using the Tricorn. A little on the simple side, but I definitely see potential with it.

This is my favorite so far.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, February 22, 2013, 07:27 (4080 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Too derivative IMO

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, February 22, 2013, 07:34 (4080 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

A first draft

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 23:04 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Real quick layout of my idea, a view from the city street of the towers and the traveler.

Pardon the roughness of this draft :3

[image]

Alternate version

[image]

A first draft

by GauntMkII, Friday, February 22, 2013, 05:05 (4080 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Oh, I see what you're getting at. This one has potential, I think.

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 23:08 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by mikefishr, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 23:11

I happen to like this logo, but I think it just needs a little... something. I can't really draw, but it feels like it should pop a bit more, but that may just require a basic color scheme.

I'm pretty crappy at shopping photos.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, February 22, 2013, 00:26 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

But I still wanted to offer an idea of some, er, ideas I had for the new logo.

And so:

[image]
Heh, looking at it now I'm actually a little embarrassed. Ah well. :S

by UncookedMoa, Friday, February 22, 2013, 02:20 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Honestly, I think the logo could just be the Destiny logo by itself...

Or perhaps, this old image back in Halo 3 ODST, with the Earth and, what is presumably, the Traveler right next to it.

But that logo would be just fine.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Friday, February 22, 2013, 10:40 (4079 days ago) @ UncookedMoa

Honestly, I think the logo could just be the Destiny logo by itself...

Or perhaps, this old image back in Halo 3 ODST, with the Earth and, what is presumably, the Traveler right next to it.

But that logo would be just fine.

[image]

Except Bungie is kind of already using it.

by Warbow, Friday, February 22, 2013, 06:22 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I'm think something along the lines of a clock face with a Black hole in the center pulling and twisting the clock face into the center.

Yeah, DBO the new time suck.

My tuppence.

by kapowaz, Friday, February 22, 2013, 07:36 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

[image]

I've made it as outline art, so that city skyline is nice and sharp at larger sizes.

My tuppence.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Friday, February 22, 2013, 07:46 (4080 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

I've made it as outline art, so that city skyline is nice and sharp at larger sizes.

Out of all the Traveler themed ones, this one is my favorite so far.

The similarity to the Marathon symbol is very clear in this one, which I love.

Also, making the cityscape the Traveler's 'scarring'? Nice.

My tuppence.

by kapowaz, Friday, February 22, 2013, 07:59 (4079 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

Also, making the cityscape the Traveler's 'scarring'? Nice.

Heh, curiously enough I'd not looked at it that way before — I'm more or less copying the ARG wallpaper's cityscape set into a circle, with the b.org logo taking the place of The Traveler. Yes, it's heavily derived from Bungie's work, but it's simple enough that it could work.

Upvote

by Jillybean, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 18:15 (4078 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

- No text -

Also a nice design, this

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 07:49 (4080 days ago) @ kapowaz

Favorite of those posted above so far ;)

^ this is very good

by petetheduck, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:08 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Fav *NM*

by Ibeechu ⌂ @, Portland, OR, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:14 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Fixed that for you

by Sg ⌂ @, East Coast, USA, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:36 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

[image]

it really needed some zoom blur

NEEDS MOAR EXPLOSIONS

by kapowaz, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:43 (4079 days ago) @ Sg

[image]

Also: can you make the logo bigger?

DONE (even better now)

by Sg ⌂ @, East Coast, USA, Friday, February 22, 2013, 09:06 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

Also: can you make the logo bigger?

[image]

this is the best logo you've ever seen

More like never seen :)

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, February 22, 2013, 09:07 (4079 days ago) @ Sg

- No text -

This one I really like!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, February 22, 2013, 09:05 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

It's very similar, almost identical to the originally posted one. This one maintains the circular/spherical shape of the traveller while having the ovular design of the b.org logo encircle it. The original one felt a little wonky because the ovular shape was inside the circular shape. It wasn't as aesthetically pleasing, or something like that. Funny how a minor change can make a big difference. The outline style really works well with it I think.

The best yet IMHO.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 10:21 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

I know I was an advocate for capturing the letters, but it should be a logo. This evokes so much--Bungie.org, Marathon, the Traveler.

The more I look at it the more perfect it seems.

The best yet IMHO.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 11:12 (4079 days ago) @ Kermit

I like it too, but with a couple of concerns:
* It's the exact HBO logo inside the white sphere
* It's too detailed for a small version (it's more like a high-res presentation logo variant)

Otherwise yeah, it definitely captures both BOrg and Destiny :) It's my favorite of the posted so far (aside from mine :P heh)

The best yet IMHO.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 11:22 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

I like it too, but with a couple of concerns:

I guess I've always thought of it more as a bungie.org logo than an HBO logo.

[image]

* It's too detailed for a small version (it's more like a high-res presentation logo variant)

Otherwise yeah, it definitely captures both BOrg and Destiny :) It's my favorite of the posted so far (aside from mine :P heh)

Ah, good point

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 11:23 (4079 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

The best yet IMHO.

by kapowaz, Friday, February 22, 2013, 11:54 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

It's not the HBO logo; it's the bungie.org logo.

The cityscape certainly has too much granularity for smaller sizes as-is, but were it chosen I would produce multiple versions for uses at different scales. This is something I tend to do when creating iconography anyway, to ensure that smaller details align with the pixel grid etc.

The best yet IMHO.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 12:19 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

It's not the HBO logo; it's the bungie.org logo.

Yep, got that with Kermit's response :)

The cityscape certainly has too much granularity for smaller sizes as-is, but were it chosen I would produce multiple versions for uses at different scales. This is something I tend to do when creating iconography anyway, to ensure that smaller details align with the pixel grid etc.

Ok, just wasn't sure how much variation in application was being considered in the design. I might just be jumping way ahead of this current stage of submissions :P (those were the only two critiques, and only because yours is my favorite of the bunch so far ;)

The best yet IMHO.

by kapowaz, Friday, February 22, 2013, 12:27 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

Ok, just wasn't sure how much variation in application was being considered in the design. I might just be jumping way ahead of this current stage of submissions :P (those were the only two critiques, and only because yours is my favorite of the bunch so far ;)

It's good feedback to get — I think from what ncsuDuncan has said so far this is really just bouncing ideas off each other, but my natural way of working is to think about treatments and contexts for usage from the get-go, because if it won't work in the context it's planned for, it's no good. I'm going to follow up with a tweaked version plus small rendering for review before long anyway.

Liked your ideas, went with a few

by katancik ⌂ @, Portland, OR/ University of Texas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 19:35 (4079 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Tried to make it a bit more (logo-ey)

edit: that was supposed to be @kapowaz

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 22, 2013, 19:36 (4079 days ago) @ katancik

Not bad!

This one's pretty sweet too!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, February 22, 2013, 19:39 (4079 days ago) @ katancik

And I like the similarities to the "Destiny Awaits" poster from ODST.

Probably my favorite so far.

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Friday, February 22, 2013, 20:29 (4079 days ago) @ katancik

- No text -

by katancik ⌂ @, Portland, OR/ University of Texas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 22:00 (4079 days ago) @ katancik

Thanks everyone!

by katancik ⌂ @, Portland, OR/ University of Texas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 22:09 (4079 days ago) @ katancik

Wallpaper size (retina) if you're interested!

[image]

Like it

by scarab @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 01:33 (4079 days ago) @ katancik

What would you do if the background couldn't be a dark rectangle? Say for an icon?

This one is nice

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 05:53 (4079 days ago) @ katancik

- No text -

Like!

by Jillybean, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 18:15 (4078 days ago) @ katancik

- No text -

Maybe...

by Pfhrogblast, Finland, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 08:08 (4077 days ago) @ katancik

[image]
...with a bit more Marathon?

Or is that just too much spheres?

Maybe...

by katancik ⌂ @, Portland, OR/ University of Texas, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 13:07 (4077 days ago) @ Pfhrogblast

I actually made mine round on purpose, I don't like how it seems off-center I guess.

To be frank with you, Destiny does not really have anything to do with Marathon, nor does this subsite, so I don't think the logo should have Marathon in mind at all :)

Maybe...

by Pfhrogblast, Finland, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 13:16 (4077 days ago) @ katancik

To be frank with you, Destiny does not really have anything to do with Marathon, nor does this subsite, so I don't think the logo should have Marathon in mind at all :)

I'm not so sure. Bungie is obviously alluding to Marathon here and there in Destiny material.

Here's my white (inverted) version!

by katancik ⌂ @, Portland, OR/ University of Texas, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 13:12 (4077 days ago) @ katancik

[image]

Second Draft

by kapowaz, Friday, February 22, 2013, 12:50 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

So I've tweaked things a bit, and created versions where things are a little more clear in the skyline for smaller sizes:

Medium:

[image]

Small:

[image]

A 2560x1440 wallpaper:

[image]

new desktop!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:17 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

I'm sold!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:50 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

This one.

by Jak Redlevske, South of I-10, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:00 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Second Draft

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:40 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

Could we see what one would look like outlined against a white background?

I think we'd want the logo contained, so that it didn't depend on a dark background to work, right?

I was thinking that as well.

by scarab @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 01:35 (4079 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Second Draft

by kapowaz, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 01:40 (4079 days ago) @ Kermit

I think we'd want the logo contained, so that it didn't depend on a dark background to work, right?

My suspicion is that it'll work just as well inverted, but I'll drop a test in shortly.

Dark and Light

by kapowaz, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 02:19 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

Here's the original:

[image]

And here is it inverted:

[image]

I'd say it works well both ways, mostly because the sky can be both dark and light, and the silhouetted skyline can also be both dark and light. Oh, and despite what a lot of people are saying, the outer circle isn't intended to be The Traveler (although I like the unintended symbology) — the b.org logo is taking the place of The Traveler from the original diorama, hovering above the city (hence the skyline below).

For extra clarity, here's the logo as both black on white, and white on black:

[image]

Looking good!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 07:48 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Winnar! (IMO)

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 11:13 (4078 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Very Nice! Simple & Clean.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 20:55 (4078 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Second Draft

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Friday, February 22, 2013, 17:02 (4079 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

Oh, I like this. Perhaps make the B.org logo a little smaller, with fewer/larger buildings in the skyline? It'd bring the proportions a little closer to those of the Marathon logo. Swapping the skyline for the Traveler damage might also look nice, and would likely be a bit more recognizable at small sizes.

Second Draft

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Friday, February 22, 2013, 17:42 (4079 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

Threw one together...
[image]

Second Draft

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 20:02 (4078 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

I'm liking this style.

What if you made the traveler sphere the main circle, with the thin ring around it, instead of inside?
Kind of like one I saw a little ways down (by thebruce I think?), but not as thick and without the city cut out of the ring.
I was going to attempt it myself, but I got distracted by RC airplanes. ;)

By the Traveler, I love this, this +10000

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 18:32 (4078 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Second Draft

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 19:08 (4078 days ago) @ kapowaz

So I've tweaked things a bit, and created versions where things are a little more clear in the skyline for smaller sizes:

Medium:

[image]

Small:

[image]

A 2560x1440 wallpaper:

[image]

I like it, but I actually prefer the first draft. The B.Org symbol was smaller and more circular in that one, so it made the logo overall look like a Marathon symbol.

I also think that the city skyline should be a bit bigger so it's even more noticeable at smaller sizes. It's a little hard to make out the city in that thumbnail version.

Version Three

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 01:32 (4077 days ago) @ kapowaz

I spent quite a while playing with adding ‘damage’ to the bottom of the b.org ring/sphere logo to match The Traveler, but ultimately I decided it just didn't work; the way I interpret it, the ring is casting a shadow over the circle in the background and so any ‘damage’ there had to be masked, but that didn't leave nearly enough surface on the circle itself for the damage to be recognisable. The end result was always inferior to leaving the b.org logo pristine, so instead I worked on creating something that made the city skyline more recognisable at smaller sizes (this having the added virtue of distinguishing the design from the original Bungie Alpha Lupi wallpaper). This is what I've ended up with:

[image]

I'm thinking the text set below the logo could be optional, but I prefer DBO to DESTINY.BUNGIE.ORG, given just how wide that ends up when set with the same letter-spacing as Bungie's original logo used. Others have chosen to use typefaces other than Futura for this, but that feels plain wrong to me (or at least, it does when it's using one of the fonts bundled with MS Office). Anyway I feel like this is getting somewhere now.

What's the next step, anyway? Do we need to collate all the potential candidate designs and do some sort of refine/remix pass? Any site admins care to comment?

Nice. Definitely my favorite version.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Monday, February 25, 2013, 08:27 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

I spent quite a while playing with adding ‘damage’ to the bottom of the b.org ring/sphere logo to match The Traveler, but ultimately I decided it just didn't work; the way I interpret it, the ring is casting a shadow over the circle in the background and so any ‘damage’ there had to be masked, but that didn't leave nearly enough surface on the circle itself for the damage to be recognisable. The end result was always inferior to leaving the b.org logo pristine, so instead I worked on creating something that made the city skyline more recognisable at smaller sizes (this having the added virtue of distinguishing the design from the original Bungie Alpha Lupi wallpaper). This is what I've ended up with:

[image]

I'm thinking the text set below the logo could be optional, but I prefer DBO to DESTINY.BUNGIE.ORG, given just how wide that ends up when set with the same letter-spacing as Bungie's original logo used. Others have chosen to use typefaces other than Futura for this, but that feels plain wrong to me (or at least, it does when it's using one of the fonts bundled with MS Office). Anyway I feel like this is getting somewhere now.

I've stated it before, but I love how many layers/references there are in such a simple image. Marathon, B.Org, The Traveler, The Last City and, subtly, even Halo (referring to the middle ring design of the B.Org emblem) are all accounted for.

I feel like it sums up the Bungie community's past and present, with a glance into the future.

What's the next step, anyway? Do we need to collate all the potential candidate designs and do some sort of refine/remix pass? Any site admins care to comment?

Honestly, I would also like to know. We have some very talented people, and I feel like we'll never be able to decide if this goes on much longer. So. Many. Good. Candidates...

My valiant variants

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 07:46 (4080 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by thebruce, Friday, February 22, 2013, 07:53

Here are a few versions I whipped up... trying to incorporate the Destiny logo, which I think is more recognizable a shape than the globe. Provides a simple shape for small versions, with options for more detail in larger versions :)

Basic
[image]

Bigger
[image]

w/ Traveller
[image]

Bigger w/ Traveller
[image]

DBO IS Traveler
[image]

And then there was this...

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:23 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce
edited by thebruce, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:41

[image]

I think I just ruined my initial design :P
can't unsee!

I said *consummate* Vs!

by kapowaz, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:24 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

- No text -

wow this one is even better than mine

by Sg ⌂ @, East Coast, USA, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:39 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

- No text -

And then there was this...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 22, 2013, 10:07 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

Haha. I was going to post that all the Destiny Tricon DBO loos looked like some odd cartoon character to me. Did not think of that though!

I reheheeallly like this one part

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:48 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

I love the traveler and city outline you have at the bottom, I wouldn't mind just that in a circle.

I reheheeallly like this one part

by kapowaz, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:51 (4079 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I love the traveler and city outline you have at the bottom, I wouldn't mind just that in a circle.

I considered it, but I agree with Claude that the original b.org ring / circle should be part of whatever is chosen (and unlike some attempts to use part of it, I think it should be in there for the most part unchanged). I did mess around with a few ideas where the cityscape cuts into the bottom of the b.org logo but the ring completely messes things up on the bottom there. I could rotate it, but I think the orientation is part of what makes it iconic.

Something more like...

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 09:07 (4079 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

[image]

or

[image]

Actually I kind of like this one too... very simple, not TOO similar to Bungie marks, and only slightly different from the HBO logo; recognizably similar. hm.

Second one is cool

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 22, 2013, 10:08 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

- No text -

My valiant variants

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:51 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

w/ Traveller
[image]

This looks like some sort of Australian Nerf toy.

- CC Hedge played with one of these as a kid. He lost it though. Cause when he threw it, it never came back.

My valiant variants, collage

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 12:23 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

Here's my brain dump of variations I've been going through, one based on kapowaz' idea...

Another thing I noticed on looking these over and over and over again is a growing sense of "Internet Explorer" o_O I think that's what's keeping me away from the 'spherical' design extensions of the current BO logo

[image]

Some of'em are not nearly as nice as others... just a brainstorm collage of ideas

My valiant variants

by agdtinman ⌂, Seattle, Friday, February 22, 2013, 20:23 (4079 days ago) @ thebruce

Dirty.

Saw your Cyborg stick model *OT*

by scarab @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 05:38 (4079 days ago) @ agdtinman

One of my favorite sticks. The X35 was pretty awesome as well.

My contribution (such as it is)

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:24 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by TTL Demag0gue, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:43

Quick and dirty Illustrator build. I was going for a planetary exploration idea, using most of the planets we've seen in the videos and concept art so far, but I'm not sure how much I like it in practice. But hey, I'll put it here in case it sparks ideas for anyone else.

Planetary bodies not to scale (obviously).

[image]

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, February 22, 2013, 08:53 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I have an idea, but I can't whip it up til a bit later. Don't start the vote without me! :P

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, February 22, 2013, 10:29 (4079 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Built off some other ideas, here's a quick mockup:

[image]

Variation on a theme

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, February 22, 2013, 09:45 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I liked Deans ideas, but I wanted to try one with the main circle as the Traveler, and a little grittier.

(click for bigger)
[image]

I'd be happy to share the PSD file if anyone wants to use my Traveler layer.

~ M7

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Friday, February 22, 2013, 11:04 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Here is our new logo.

A couple of Ideas

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:02 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I agree that we need to leave behind the Halo O. It served its purpose and time. Here are my ideas, the first one came out of EffortlessFury's idea: 2749(credit where credit is due! I took some other ideas that had been thrown out there as well and tried to incorporate them as well.

[image]

A couple of Ideas

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:12 (4079 days ago) @ breitzen

I agree that we need to leave behind the Halo O. It served its purpose and time. Here are my ideas, the first one came out of EffortlessFury's idea: 2749(credit where credit is due! I took some other ideas that had been thrown out there as well and tried to incorporate them as well.

[image]

I really like the first one, but I'd extend the ascenders slightly so it doesn't look like abo.

That said, it's not the Halo O. It's the bungie.org O. See my post above.

I see!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:20 (4079 days ago) @ Kermit

I guess since I just always assumed it was a ring because of Halo! My bad! I really like your second draft.

I see!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:28 (4079 days ago) @ breitzen

It's not mine. :) I'd like to see your first one without the swoosh.

I see!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:31 (4079 days ago) @ Kermit

It's not mine. :) I'd like to see your first one without the swoosh.

Haha wow. I'm not paying attention today! I'll get some more up ASAP!

Second Drafts [IMG]

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 14:33 (4079 days ago) @ breitzen
edited by breitzen, Friday, February 22, 2013, 14:40

[image]

Ones I like.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:26 (4079 days ago) @ breitzen

[image]

I reall like the first 2 and the 4th one.

Same!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:35 (4079 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

A couple of Ideas

by kapowaz, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 00:22 (4078 days ago) @ breitzen

credit where credit is due!

Are you ever going to acknowledge that you took the skyline in disc directly from my design?

Perhaps!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 06:01 (4078 days ago) @ kapowaz

credit where credit is due!

Are you ever going to acknowledge that you took the skyline in disc directly from my design?

Only if you acknowledge that you took it from Avateur!
And then only if he admits that he took it from bungie!

Perhaps!

by kapowaz, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 09:22 (4077 days ago) @ breitzen

Only if you acknowledge that you took it from Avateur!
And then only if he admits that he took it from bungie!

Well, as it happens I hadn't even seen his design before I came up with mine; we both clearly were inspired by Bungie's Alpha Lupi wallpaper. However, whereas Avateur added his design right on top of the original, I spent half an hour manually tracing the skyline as outline art, which you then directly used in your own designs. I'm not that bothered by it really, given that it's clearly Bungie's original idea, but for you use the expression credit where credit is due when you'd just copied and pasted mine into Photoshop is a bit off, if you ask me.

Anyway, let's leave it at that.

Sorry, but that's a premature accusation

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 12:12 (4077 days ago) @ kapowaz

spent half an hour manually tracing the skyline as outline art, which you then directly used in your own designs. I'm not that bothered by it really, given that it's clearly Bungie's original idea, but for you use the expression credit where credit is due when you'd just copied and pasted mine into Photoshop is a bit off, if you ask me.

Anyway, let's leave it at that.

That would be understandable. Except that I didn't do that.

I pulled up the wallpaper from the ARG site as well and did my own cityscape in Illustrator, creating vector points (which allow for scaling much better than photoshop pixels). While I certainly used the idea you used, I didn't feel required to give you credit since the cityscape was pulled from bungie artwork.

This is a cooperative thing, so even if someone wanted to use my ideas and expand I'm cool with that. But let me be clear that I have creative integrity and I certainly did not rip off your half hour of work. I did it myself.

I hope there are no hard feelings and we can go on to make the best logo possible. I'm certainly not mad, just felt like I had to defend my name and work.

by kapowaz, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 13:30 (4077 days ago) @ breitzen

That would be understandable. Except that I didn't do that.

I pulled up the wallpaper from the ARG site as well and did my own cityscape in Illustrator, creating vector points (which allow for scaling much better than photoshop pixels). While I certainly used the idea you used, I didn't feel required to give you credit since the cityscape was pulled from bungie artwork.

In that case I apologise — it certainly looked as though it was the exact same bitmap as I posted only scaled down, but it's hardly like I have a monopoly on tracing the outline artwork (it sounds as though we did the exact same thing). Seems like several of us are working on a similar set of ideas for inspiration!

We're cool. Let's go make a bad ass logo

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 13:52 (4077 days ago) @ kapowaz

Seems like several of us are working on a similar set of ideas for inspiration!

Ya, the Traveler seems to be the iconic figure for Destiny. I'm hoping to come up with some different stuff this week. I've loved this process, I haven't had this much input and critique on design projects since I graduated.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Monday, February 25, 2013, 06:45 (4077 days ago) @ kapowaz

it certainly looked as though it was the exact same bitmap as I posted only scaled down, but it's hardly like I have a monopoly on tracing the outline artwork (it sounds as though we did the exact same thing). Seems like several of us are working on a similar set of ideas for inspiration!

I feel where you're coming from too... there are a number of designs posted that use the 'triple swoosh' effect that I first employed in my design for a minimalist Traveler. Some designs are direct copies of that swoosh vector, but this one uses the 'idea' of the 1+2 swoosh... =/
It's hard not to feel like you've introduced a useful idea but not getting any recognition for it - even though, yes, it's a co-operative process. And it's sort of a kick while down after posting numerous variant designs and not really getting much support for them, or feedback.

It's just, blah...

Very cool work so far. One caveat:

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:06 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I've noticed a lot of designs using Bungie's swoosh.

You shouldn't get excited by that, because we are not going to incorporate any of Bungie's company logo into our logo - not even a little bit.

(I'll definitely agree some of the variants look cool. That swoosh is off the table, though.)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:25 (4079 days ago) @ Claude Errera

When I mentioned contrails above I mentioned Bungie, but I wasn't thinking of copies of the swoosh behind a sphere. I was thinking of all the contrails we've seen in the footage so far.

I was thinking of little spaceships, whose contrails perhaps formed the ascenders of the d or b.

Something like that. Wish I was good enough to draw quickly or I had more time. :(

by KP @, Redmond, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:36 (4079 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yes. Use this one instead.

[image]

That's a bit 'shoot you in the bathroom'

by Jillybean, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 18:09 (4078 days ago) @ KP

[image]

Would be my suggestion

+1

by Tiny, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 08:04 (4077 days ago) @ KP

- No text -

.svg b.org logo?

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Friday, February 22, 2013, 14:46 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I was going to play with including the bungie.org logo in my design (and taking out the swoosh per Claude's instruction) but Inkscape doesn't want to import the .ai file. Is there anywhere I could get one in SVG or just a clean, high-res PNG?

.svg b.org logo?

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:42 (4079 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

I was going to play with including the bungie.org logo in my design (and taking out the swoosh per Claude's instruction) but Inkscape doesn't want to import the .ai file. Is there anywhere I could get one in SVG or just a clean, high-res PNG?

High version recreated from official logo:
[image]

And http://www.roitsystems.com/cgi-bin/autotrace/tracer.pl works wonders for creating vectorized graphics online

Getting Crazy

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:21 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

[image]

Getting Crazy

by Phoenix_9286 @, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:39 (4079 days ago) @ breitzen

hawt. But I'd worry about the cityscape becoming a lost detail at smaller sizes, and I'd simplify the damage on the Traveler.

Yep!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:32 (4079 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Definitely! I'll whip something up later tonight or tomorrow morning that's much more simplified.

Getting Crazy

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:09 (4079 days ago) @ breitzen

This is pretty awesome!

This might be my favorite, a suggestion or two though:

by Flynn J Taggart, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:57 (4079 days ago) @ breitzen

I like how similar it looks to the HBO symbol, but what about making The Traveler in the logo look closer to the proportional size of the circle (not-torus, but the background circle) in the HBO logo? Here is a link to thebruce's handy high res version of the HBO logo for reference, if needed.

I really like the city as part of the torus.

Liking this direction a lot

by Tiny, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 08:06 (4077 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

No logo here....

by serpx, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:25 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Just wanted to say, after seeing some of these icons, I'm ready to purchase any and all t-shirts. If you guys can make some soon, that'd be great.

[image]

No logo here....

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 14:14 (4077 days ago) @ serpx

Just wanted to say, after seeing some of these icons, I'm ready to purchase any and all t-shirts. If you guys can make some soon, that'd be great.

[image]

Riffing off of what Dean posted

by Carterficial, Friday, February 22, 2013, 17:02 (4079 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

[image]
[image]

Riffing off of what Dean posted

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, February 22, 2013, 17:50 (4079 days ago) @ Carterficial

I think you should make one of them the earth, then maybe put the city outline in the third?

Like this?

by Carterficial, Friday, February 22, 2013, 20:15 (4079 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]
[image]

Yes!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, February 22, 2013, 20:27 (4079 days ago) @ Carterficial

Yes! I like the Earth one, but it might fit better with silhouettes of the continents. I feel like I'm bossing you around, haha, I would just do it myself and show you if I wasn't at work.

Another variant on Grim's *IMG*

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 15:39 (4078 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

[image]

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, February 23, 2013, 16:52 (4078 days ago) @ Leviathan

Either this one or that jet and tears on kapowaz's.

kapowaz, to work!

:P

Protip.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 18:57 (4078 days ago) @ Leviathan

[image]

If you fly through the silver ones you get health. But! If you manage to fly through three gold rings, you get a bonus to your overall health! :D

Posts like this make me think we need a like button

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 19:05 (4078 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

- No text -

Use the Boost to get through!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, February 23, 2013, 19:11 (4078 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

- No text -

you've got my vote! #notbias ;-)

by GrimBrother One, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 19:08 (4078 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by Avateur @, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 19:44 (4078 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm finding myself torn here. I feel like kapowaz' design is perfect as the overall logo, especially when looking at it at lower resolutions, but at the same time I just can't see that design working on a shirt. But then I see images like this and it's like, yeah, I'd totally buy a shirt with that. I'm loving a lot of what I see around here, but I feel like I'm loving them for multiple purposes and I'm not sure if you all are looking for multiple logo appearances to be used for multiple purposes. Any thoughts on what may or may not happen with a lot of the images posted in this thread?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 21:49 (4078 days ago) @ Avateur

I'm finding myself torn here. I feel like kapowaz' design is perfect as the overall logo, especially when looking at it at lower resolutions, but at the same time I just can't see that design working on a shirt. But then I see images like this and it's like, yeah, I'd totally buy a shirt with that. I'm loving a lot of what I see around here, but I feel like I'm loving them for multiple purposes and I'm not sure if you all are looking for multiple logo appearances to be used for multiple purposes. Any thoughts on what may or may not happen with a lot of the images posted in this thread?

I think the first idea is to get something cool and 'dbo' to replace the tricorn image at the bottom of the frontpage. We've seen a lot of that tricorn lately. Other than that, just a general brainstorm. You never know when you might need a symbol. I could see these going into (if permission was granted) shirts being made by Kanbo, maybe a dedicated gallery of wallpapers for folks to peruse through.

There's been a lot of cool stuff posted here, so it's pretty exciting, but it also seems like there's too many good options to choose from. If there's no clear consensus, I might just vote for the seventh column to be put on the front page, and use all of these when different occasions require them.

by kapowaz, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 09:26 (4077 days ago) @ Avateur

I find myself nodding along here. What I'd like to do is explore some more ideas based on what I've posted so far, which can see how different treatments might work. I knocked up my original in my lunch break on Friday, then I've been travelling all weekend, so once I'm home ill try and explore some more ideas.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Monday, February 25, 2013, 06:49 (4077 days ago) @ Avateur

Right, I started from the basics - simple, solid logo that can be viewed at multiple sizes (icon through large/detailed), without focusing on "coolness", something can be applied later in the numerous variants that would undoubtedly be produced after the fact for various purposes. Feels like if you focus on the "cool" factor first, then practicality/flexibility, one will gain more support for the design :P (not that it's a public vote, but still)

by petetheduck, Monday, February 25, 2013, 08:18 (4076 days ago) @ Avateur

Yeah, I think kapowaz nailed it. I'm wondering if you'd think his design would be more shirt-friendly if it had a weathered effect (specifically for a shirt application, not as a redesign of the logo).

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 08:35 (4076 days ago) @ petetheduck

Yeah, I think kapowaz nailed it. I'm wondering if you'd think his design would be more shirt-friendly if it had a weathered effect (specifically for a shirt application, not as a redesign of the logo).

That's pretty easy to do specifically for things like t-shirt printing, wallpapers and the like; it's a lot better to start out with a logo that's and unadorned then create variants for specific purposes than to start with a logo that (for example) has a distressed effect and try and use that in a variety of places. It's hard to create an outline version of a distressed effect that works well at all sizes — once you scale it up crumbling edges appear as unnatural-looking curves and straight lines.

Just take a look at what Bungie (and a lot of others) do with their Merchandise; you can see logos being used plain and simple for things like embroidered patches, or with a distressed effect once printed larger (which would have been made specifically for that resolution of printing).

Legit!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 20:52 (4078 days ago) @ Leviathan

I love that ship! It looks familiar... was is a piece of concept or based on a shot from one of the videos?

Legit!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 21:40 (4078 days ago) @ breitzen

I love that ship! It looks familiar... was is a piece of concept or based on a shot from one of the videos?

Sort of just a general gist that I got from the concept art that looks out over the city beneath the Traveller, as well as this shot: [image]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 15:17 (4077 days ago) @ Leviathan

[image]

I like this a lot.

Personally, I find the Traveler damage to be somewhat distracting (not just in this one). For me, the accuracy and realism of it doesn't work as well in a what is supposed to be a stylized logo. That said, the ship with contrail is pretty much exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about when I first mentioned contrails the other day. Perhaps that could be a tiny bit more stylized as well.

Just my thoughts. I have no worries about the logo being awesome. We have an embarrassment of riches here.

Even several of the ones without the b.org O I'd love to have on a shirt (Brietzen's "DBO" examples especially).

Kermit

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 19:33 (4077 days ago) @ Kermit

I agree. Going small with this, it will be too messy. If I get some time, I'll try and make a simplified version and a color version. May try a version with just the ship going through the "O".

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 16:49 (4077 days ago) @ Leviathan

Oh wow I love this one! Recalls to mind the works of John Harris in all the best ways! If we're voting, consider mine cast!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 19:28 (4077 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

John Harris is one of my favorite illustrators! :)

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 20:04 (4077 days ago) @ Leviathan

His work on the Enders Saga is probably my favorite sci-fi art. I love those ship designs!

Updates

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 20:49 (4078 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Updated favorites after viewing your wonderful comments! The are a couple different versions of the Traveler to test sizing issues and some text just for fun!

[image]

Updates

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 21:52 (4078 days ago) @ breitzen

I really like the vertical ones with the traveler in the middle. I think it keeps the old logo intact enough without looking just like it.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 22:44 (4078 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

It's hard to pick.

I like the top row of designs on this one. http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y490/breitzen/ScreenShot2013-02-23at104414PM_zps62953b3d.png

I like this one but I'd like it better simplified (probably just the Traveler in one of the letters and the others open/blank).
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ptqlug.jpg

If I had to pick a favorite though I think I'd go with the bottom right one here. http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y490/breitzen/ScreenShot2013-02-22at43103PM_zps15cd9638.png

images not inline because of size
also I forgot a space before one of those and found out the forum gives an error for a word being too long... weird... I'm guessing that's some kind of spam detection...

Vector shape / PSD of Destiny logo

by Tiny, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 07:53 (4077 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Here's a PSD I put together almost a year ago if anyone wants a vector of the destiny logo to use in this.
[image]

Link to PSD http://cl.ly/0D2T0B3O1N1v

If people want it / need it in another format let me know. I haven't checked it since the higher res versions have been around but it should be 99% accurate. The grunge on it isn't perfect but you can turn any of the layers off.

by zumphry ⌂ @, Monday, February 25, 2013, 01:11 (4077 days ago) @ Tiny
edited by zumphry, Monday, February 25, 2013, 02:07

Huh. I've always wanted to know how to make the logo (or do we have to call it "Tricorn"?) have it's marks, and how to make it glow.

On that same note, I traced the logo from when Bungie released the Jack-O-Lantern designs a year or so ago (I've got most of those in .psd format, too). I think it's bigger than the one in your .psd, but it's without the scratches.

Though, I've gotten so used to seeing the logo with scratches, that seeing a "clean" version looks weird, now.

Link (if anyone wants it)

by Tiny, Monday, February 25, 2013, 05:50 (4077 days ago) @ zumphry

Mine's a vector shape.. with vector scratches. Meaning it will scale to as big or as small as you need it. I did the original art in Illustrator and then brought it into PSD to match the original look.

My first attempts...

by iZac, Shanghai, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 08:36 (4077 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- Have fun with it!

Hi chaps, I was lurking on this thread in work this week and didn't really have a chance to have a tinker with it until Sunday afternoon. I noticed that most of the ideas are centred around the traveller and also reference the traveller image / some bungie artwork directly. Now i'm not saying this is bad, in fact it's probably the best solution, since it's the avenue that many are going down. That said, I thought this afternoon I'd try to mix it up a bit and hopefully inspire some more people to help pitch in their creative spark.

I notice from the thread, the staff are keen to incorporate the B.org logo (from the craig mullins artwork) but do not necessarily want it copied wholesale. Secondly they don't want to introduce references to the Bungie logo.

One caveat, i'm not great with Illustrator, so these are pretty simple, and I don't have a mouse so I'm dealing with my trackpad. Excuses over - these tests may not be great, but they are my first thoughts:

I'm partial to this one, though it is a bit 'jokey':
[image]

This one needs more work, there is (if you strain your eyes) an inverted D and B and a hint of the B.org logo. needs more work - reminds me of the Ghost in the Shell logo:
[image]

I kinda like this because of the Marathon references. I was trying to implement the 'star chart' as was suggested as a reference, and is seen in Bungies ARG tease images, but it need's a lot more work to be successful hard to read the 'd' and 'b':
[image]

I don't really like this one and it isn't very 'destiny' just thought I would throw it in, since I'd tinkered with it a bit:
[image]

I thought someone might want to nab my cartoony traveller so there's a clean one here:
[image]

Lastly, MrPadraig08 drew one that I really liked but didn't get much attention. I just added a "DBO" cos I thought it was fun. World domination and all:
[image]

Fun!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 12:35 (4077 days ago) @ iZac

I like the cleanness of them all (except that last one! lol).

I really like the direction of the ship design. Especially with the original logo hidden in there. I think it could do without the type, it does more to distract the eye than help the design. I might work on a variant of this this week if the second snowstorm hits and I get another day off work!

ai. files for anyone interested

by iZac, Shanghai, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 17:45 (4077 days ago) @ breitzen

I like the cleanness of them all (except that last one! lol).

I really like the direction of the ship design. Especially with the original logo hidden in there. I think it could do without the type, it does more to distract the eye than help the design. I might work on a variant of this this week if the second snowstorm hits and I get another day off work!

Haha, yeah the last was naturally a scribble I was doing :P

You're more than welcome to tinker around with them, these were after all only a first pass and part of a community process. I may not have a lot of time to do much more to these anyway since I'm actually supposed to be organising a trip to Bali, not messing around on Bungie forums, so the more the merrier.

Attached is a dropbox link that should work:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mijomixb0t5493e/VAD8i9CR4s?m#/

good luck!

oh and be kind these are sloppy files!

round 2

by iZac, Shanghai, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:25 (4076 days ago) @ iZac
edited by iZac, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:30

following some peoples introduction of the ship into the B.org logo, i thought I would have a quick tinker as well over my lunch hour ..

[image]

[image]

EDIT: and a third quickie

[image]

round 3

by iZac, Shanghai, Monday, February 25, 2013, 22:07 (4076 days ago) @ iZac
edited by iZac, Monday, February 25, 2013, 22:42

...and a quick mess about with a previous version

[image]

round 4

by iZac, Shanghai, Monday, February 25, 2013, 22:48 (4076 days ago) @ iZac
edited by iZac, Monday, February 25, 2013, 23:05

... and another quickie, a different approach to "The City" skylines that are a popular theme.

Don't think I like this as much as I thought I did in my mind... anyway I was playing with assets I'd already produced so this isn't necessarily a final look, just a concept.

I'll upload the AI files if anyone wants them to do anything themselves.

... ok back to work!

[image]

round 3

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, February 25, 2013, 23:09 (4076 days ago) @ iZac

That's pretty cool. I'd probably vote for one of the more traditional logos over it, but it's got its own neat look! :)

round 5

by iZac, Shanghai, Monday, February 25, 2013, 23:48 (4076 days ago) @ Ragashingo

That's pretty cool. I'd probably vote for one of the more traditional logos over it, but it's got its own neat look! :)

Cheers, I'm just trying to spur some variety in peoples thinking, I'm hoping someone will take some inspiration from them, since I know they're not quite winning ideas.

having said that, here's another one, the same as all the rest ...

[image]

An attempt

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 16:25 (4077 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

[image]

I went through a good handful of ideas (both before and after this thread went up), and didn't ever end up liking any of them. I'm kind of working on a few basic ideas:

-Implicit imagery rather than explicit
-Simple, uncomplicated lines that scale well
-Not including any existing logos or art
-Monochrome

Basically, I kind of wanted to just keep it simple like the bungie.org logo. I really like many of the other designs in the thread, but I personally don't think that most of them work to accomplish the same thing as the b.org one did. That said, the b.org loop was on most of the other *.bungie.org sites, so I think it works well for this one anyways.

Huh.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 18:52 (4077 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Working again from Dean's theme, here's a slight variation I had in mind:

[image]

Going Simpler

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Monday, February 25, 2013, 02:16 (4077 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

[image]

Going Simpler

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 03:08 (4077 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

I like it. Probably my favourite of those others have posted so far!

Definitley one of my favorites.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Monday, February 25, 2013, 04:37 (4077 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

[image]

A 'D' for Destiny and then the Bungie.Org logo? It says everything it needs to, and remains very minimalistic. Good stuff!

Going Simpler

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 25, 2013, 04:59 (4077 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)
edited by Kermit, Monday, February 25, 2013, 05:04

[image]

Simple is very good. I like it!

Could you do one without the D--just the sphere and hoop?

Going Simpler

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 05:18 (4077 days ago) @ Kermit

Wouldn't that just be the b.org logo…?

Going Simpler

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 25, 2013, 05:29 (4077 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by Kermit, Monday, February 25, 2013, 05:33

Wouldn't that just be the b.org logo…?

Duh! You're right.

Similar to Levi's ship, I'd like to see a simple line representing a contrail coming around the sphere, through the hoop, and ending with a stylized ship.

Kermit, who finds it much easier to describe than draw.

Going Simpler

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 08:36 (4076 days ago) @ Kermit

Similar to Levi's ship, I'd like to see a simple line representing a contrail coming around the sphere, through the hoop, and ending with a stylized ship.

I like this idea. I'll see what I can come up with.

Riffing…

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 05:45 (4077 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

A few riffs, based on Dean's design. I've used Futura at a couple of different weights for the initials, since that's what the original Destiny logo uses:

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Riffing…

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, February 25, 2013, 06:26 (4077 days ago) @ kapowaz

A little too close to the broadcast HBO logo, for my taste.

Riffing…

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 06:55 (4077 days ago) @ Mid7night

A little too close to the broadcast HBO logo, for my taste.

Heh, so it is. I'd completely forgotten about that one! Still, the ones with the b.org logo inside the D are a little more different (certainly nobody is going to get confused as to which is which).

Going Simpler

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, February 25, 2013, 06:33 (4077 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

[image]

I like simple, but it kinda reminds me of the Discovey Channel...

[image]

Going Simpler

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 06:59 (4077 days ago) @ Mid7night

[image]

I like simple, but it kinda reminds me of the Discovey Channel...

[image]

…or the Open University logo. Trouble is that when you're going for simple letterforms there are only a finite number of possibilities for this sort of thing, so inevitably there are overlaps. Hell, I created the K logo for kapowaz back in 2003, and I've seen similar logos used by other companies two or three times since then. Not much I can do about that, though.

Going Simpler

by petetheduck, Monday, February 25, 2013, 10:34 (4076 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

Dang, sorry kapowaz but this one is my new favorite.

Excelsior!

by scarab @, Monday, February 25, 2013, 10:57 (4076 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

- No text -

That's a big D *NM*

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, February 25, 2013, 15:12 (4076 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

That's what she said...

Even Simpler

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 01:42 (4076 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

I liked what iZac did with his simplified B.org logo, so I went ahead and gave it the D. I'm not sure I like the result as much as the normal one, but here it is anyway.

[image]

Even Simpler

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 02:11 (4076 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

I liked what iZac did with his simplified B.org logo, so I went ahead and gave it the D. I'm not sure I like the result as much as the normal one, but here it is anyway.

[image]

I think your earlier effort was far more effective. For one, I don't think people should be making drastic changes to the b.org logo — it has a recognisable shape that is easily broken by trying to rework it (there are lots of entries that try to do this, and I think whilst they're interesting in their own right, they're not right for a b.org site).

I think if I were to try and refine the original, I'd focus on trying a few different treatments for the capital letter D. The planet inside forms a negative space reminiscent of the right-side curve of an capital D by itself, so you're already onto a winner, but perhaps there are other aspect ratios that will work better? Or perhaps different corner radii for the left-hand side? Or maybe a stroke to the overall shape…?

Even Simpler

by iZac, Shanghai, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 08:51 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

I think your earlier effort was far more effective. For one, I don't think people should be making drastic changes to the b.org logo — it has a recognisable shape that is easily broken by trying to rework it (there are lots of entries that try to do this, and I think whilst they're interesting in their own right, they're not right for a b.org site).

I think if I were to try and refine the original, I'd focus on trying a few different treatments for the capital letter D. The planet inside forms a negative space reminiscent of the right-side curve of an capital D by itself, so you're already onto a winner, but perhaps there are other aspect ratios that will work better? Or perhaps different corner radii for the left-hand side? Or maybe a stroke to the overall shape…?

Glad to see some assets came in useful, although I agree with Kapowaz, the first version feels more comfortable - the softness of the b.org logo suits the bevelled "D" better than the sharp cornered one. As for taking liberties with the logo, I think it's fine for people to explore, after all we are just developing ideas. For instance, the guys opening proposal only takes the internal circle of the b.org logo and my messing around (for better or worse) just pulled the original Craig Mullins art and re-tooled it a bit. But I do understand the desire to keep the logo as-is - after all someone (Claude?) spent the time and effort to further develop the Mullins art in the first place!

Finale

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 12:45 (4076 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

So, incorporating some of the other ideas that have been suggested by others, I have my final design (or to be more accurate, three different variants of the final logo). I was trying to come up with something that felt like an homage to the embroidered mission patches belonging to NASA astronauts, as well as 80s sci-fi kitsch.

Portrait aspect ratio with HBO text

[image]

Portrait aspect ratio

[image]

Square aspect ratio

[image]

The proportions of the various components differ ever so slightly in each version, to more appropriately fit the layout. I'm pretty pleased with how they came out, but that's me done I think. Let's see where this goes!

Very nice.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, February 25, 2013, 12:55 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Cool.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, February 25, 2013, 13:09 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

"with HBO text" -- you liar! That says DBO ;-) *NM*

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 25, 2013, 14:40 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

Quoting so you can't edit and make me look silly :)

"with HBO text" -- you liar! That says DBO ;-) *NM*

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 14:54 (4076 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Quoting so you can't edit and make me look silly :)

Too late to edit :-(

Finale

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 25, 2013, 15:10 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

Very cool.

Wouldn't scale down as well as your other design, but very, very good.
In fact, I prefer this one. qHD wallpaper? :P

Finale

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 15:14 (4076 days ago) @ ZackDark

Very cool.

Wouldn't scale down as well as your other design, but very, very good.

Thanks! But why wouldn't it scale down? The buildings are a lot bigger now.

Finale

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 25, 2013, 15:34 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

Emphasis on "as well". ;)

I just tried scaling it down and it did better than I thought actually, but your other design does better due to its simplicity. Yet, as I said, just tried it with this one and it worked wonders. No complaints at all.

Now, how about that qHD wallpaper?

Finale

by iZac, Shanghai, Monday, February 25, 2013, 20:27 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

So, incorporating some of the other ideas that have been suggested by others, I have my final design (or to be more accurate, three different variants of the final logo). I was trying to come up with something that felt like an homage to the embroidered mission patches belonging to NASA astronauts, as well as 80s sci-fi kitsch.

[image]

The proportions of the various components differ ever so slightly in each version, to more appropriately fit the layout. I'm pretty pleased with how they came out, but that's me done I think. Let's see where this goes!

I think these are the most successful yet, I particularly like the geometric counter to the circle.

Incidentally is "Finale" a Madeon reference? 'cos I can't help but hum "The City" every time I see that skyline ...

I lied.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 04:52 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

…couldn't help myself.

I lied.

by iZac, Shanghai, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 08:40 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by iZac, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 08:57

[image]

…couldn't help myself.

that's pretty cool, it reminds me of the ODST signage around New Mombassa for some reason.

I think a more muted palette might work better on the top of the site though, the original colour scheme was probably better for frequent viewing.

... though does make a cool wallpaper!!!

I lied.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 09:07 (4075 days ago) @ iZac

I think a more muted palette might work better on the top of the site though, the original colour scheme was probably better for frequent viewing.

Yeah, this colour scheme is merely for playing around. I find it helps inspire me to try things out in something other than just black and white!

I lied.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 09:10 (4075 days ago) @ iZac

Oh yes, I did actually make a wallpaper out of it and posted it earlier, only for it to be flagged as spam by the forum's wonderfully enthusiastic spam filter. Here it is again:

[image]

I lied.

by iZac, Shanghai, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 10:13 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

Oh yes, I did actually make a wallpaper out of it and posted it earlier, only for it to be flagged as spam by the forum's wonderfully enthusiastic spam filter. Here it is again:

[image]

Indeed ;) it seems you can still view flagged posts in people's user profiles - hope you don't mind, I was taking a peek at your homepage before I went to bed ... Good stuff!

Sick!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 10:44 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

Love it!

I lied.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 11:27 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

I tweaked the wallpaper after posting the previous one:

[image]

I lied.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 16:32 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

I'm this *gets two fingers really close together* close to letting go of my Green Bay Packers wallpaper because of you.

Finale

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 07:02 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

I just want to say that I really like these.

Finale

by Carterficial, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:52 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

That's very cool. Wouldn't look out of place as a street sign in New Mombasa.

Stop Using the Halo "O"

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, February 25, 2013, 17:38 (4076 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Unfortunately I have not had ample time to give full thought on designing this. I have plenty of ideas, just no time to flesh them out.

I have lurked in here every off chance I could get, and I like the progress we are making - mostly.

The biggest thing is - we can't seem to shed the HALO from the O. So as a push I’ve posted an simplistic idea below. The problem is we are mimicking more than we are designing (keeping that debate and particulars aside). To a degree this is understandable - we have very little to go on at this point (I would have waited abit longer before announcing & attempting to create a official logo).

So with that I end this post with this. Simplicity is key.

[image]

By golly I hope I have time to make something.

Not to be confused with. . .

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, February 25, 2013, 17:52 (4076 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

Oh Bungie. You Shrew.

;)

(Glad to get that observation out as well)

Stop Using the Halo "O"

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 25, 2013, 20:52 (4076 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Maybe you haven't lurked enough. :)

It's not the Halo O.

Thank You.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:06 (4076 days ago) @ Kermit

Maybe you haven't lurked enough. :)

It's not the Halo O.

Would if I could. I suppose this is what happens when you go Fly Fishing the Deep Sea. Thank You for pointing that out.

I was - Unaware. It would had been nice if this little tid-bit was added - but - yada yada.

The CEO/Client has spoken. Coincidental Halo O it is.
Its funny how much impact Marathon has had.

Prehapts it's just Destiny. /puns (for now)

Thank You. *OT*

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:13 (4076 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I suppose this is what happens when you go Fly Fishing the Deep Sea.

Well, now you're just bragging, but that is awesome!

Thank You. *OT*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:18 (4076 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I suppose this is what happens when you go Fly Fishing the Deep Sea.

Well, now you're just bragging, but that is awesome!

Not litteritly! It was a metaphor.

. . . that said.

.>_> Hmmmmm.

Typographic

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, February 25, 2013, 18:20 (4076 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Here is a mostly typographic treatment. I know it gets rid of the old bungie.org logo entirely but I thought I'd throw this one out there too.
The ship is all Levi's (see here: 2941) and I wanted to incorporate it with a clean traveler and some nice type (I'm a sucker for lower-case).

[image]

Typographic

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 25, 2013, 18:34 (4076 days ago) @ breitzen

Love this! You're the first to nail the ship the way I'd envisioned.

Typographic

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, February 25, 2013, 18:40 (4076 days ago) @ Kermit

Thanks. It's Leviathan's original design. I cleaned up some of the edges. The credit really should go to him though. I'm just glad I found a way to fit it in a clean crisp design!

Like the graphic

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:02 (4076 days ago) @ breitzen
edited by Mid7night, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:11

I'm not a fan of type-heavy logos, but I like the graphic you made for the O.

What if it was just that?

[image]

And how about the old HBO ring? I know there are some that say we need to leave behing the "HALO" bit, but I'm not so exclusionist. I think it's ok to have a little Halo nod in our Destiny. (in fact, I hope there is!) ;)

How 'bout something along these lines?

[image] [image]

Thanks!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 11:27 (4075 days ago) @ Mid7night

And how about the old HBO ring? I know there are some that say we need to leave behind the "HALO" bit, but I'm not so exclusionist. I think it's ok to have a little Halo nod in our Destiny. (in fact, I hope there is!) ;)

I'm sure we'll settle on something that has a nod to our old community at hbo. The hardest part for me has been trying to keep it simple, yet incorporate the old old logo.

How 'bout something along these lines?

[image]

I tried something like this, but came to the conclusion that it was to cluttered. I didn't feel like I could hide the traveler behind all those rings/contrails (mine began to look too close to the atomic symbol). But it is a really good idea.

I think that the symbol could stand on its own too.

I apologize.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:06 (4076 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I've made no art and all I've done is suggest, suggest, suggest. And I can't seem able to stop myself.

Right now there are three ideas that I'd like to see combined.

Dean's great logo

[image]

brietzen's curvy contrail

[image]

And levi's idea of the ship going through the hoop.

[image]

If the contrail is flipped I think it fit in the lower left corner of the D, maybe.

Like Levi's contrail, the new one would be white on black and vice versa.

This is just something I'd like to see ... on a shirt I can wear.

Kerm

I apologize.

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 23:03 (4076 days ago) @ Kermit

Right now there are three ideas that I'd like to see combined.

Dean's great logo

[image]

brietzen's curvy contrail

[image]

And levi's idea of the ship going through the hoop.

[image]

Not sure if you'd seen this already, but I did try to combine some aspects of what you mention into this design.

[image]

Just making sure it gets in front of as many eyeballs as possible ;-)

I apologize.

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 01:43 (4076 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

No Need! [IMG]

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 07:59 (4075 days ago) @ Kermit

I've made no art and all I've done is suggest, suggest, suggest. And I can't seem able to stop myself.

I love all the feedback, seriously, it makes us better!

This is just something I'd like to see ... on a shirt I can wear.

We're going to have some pretty sweet shirts. I'll work up something you've described for a shirt here in a bit, but until then here is a work up of it as a logo.

[image]

Basically Dean's concept; with an Arial Black D (personally the rounded corners were doin it for me), and everything contained in the D. I like the tension that the ship has as its about to break free. Comments?

You Guys!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 09:45 (4075 days ago) @ breitzen

These are getting better and better.

I would proudly wear shirts with these on it

No Need! [IMG]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 11:24 (4075 days ago) @ breitzen

[image]

Aw, I like the rounded corners. Felt more Kubricky. (<--scientific term)

Very nice, though.

Like the first one especially, but I imagine the hoop floating in front of a white sphere, and the ship coming around around the sphere and through the hoop. This would put the left edge of the hoop in the foreground, and the sphere would stay in the background.

More like...[IMG]

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 11:57 (4075 days ago) @ Kermit

Like the first one especially, but I imagine the hoop floating in front of a white sphere, and the ship coming around around the sphere and through the hoop. This would put the left edge of the hoop in the foreground, and the sphere would stay in the background.

I think I understand. More like this?

[image]

More like...[IMG]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 12:09 (4075 days ago) @ breitzen

[image]

Yep. You got the trajectory I was thinking of.

Thanks for doing this. I've had more fun in this thread!

I like it better this way too!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 12:14 (4075 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

SPAM FILTER!

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 10:01 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

It's starting to get annoying.

SPAM FILTER!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 10:11 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

Restored one and deleted the other since they were a copy. Out of the 8 spam I've noticed since the board began, you've been half of them, so it doesn't seem to be too widespread of an issue, but if Claude doesn't see this, I'll mention it to him.

For now, if you get a spam notice, just wait a bit and a mod will be by to approve it. I check this board at least every hour during the day unless I'm out.

SPAM FILTER!

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 10:39 (4075 days ago) @ Leviathan

For now, if you get a spam notice, just wait a bit and a mod will be by to approve it. I check this board at least every hour during the day unless I'm out.

There's only one issue with this — the timer for edits starts as soon as you post. I have since uploaded a revised version of the image (very shortly after posting, in fact) but I'll have to make another reply to link to that.

Thing is, given that both of the posts had the exact same format (link to an image around an image tag) I'm wondering if it won't just flag all posts of this kind as spam?

My skills in this are unparalleled

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 11:00 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Behold!

[image]

Lol!

Anyway, combining a few ideas that are floating around in the thread here. If I would explain it:

The basis is the borg logo, but rotated clockwise to show that 'time has moved on.'

The orientation would be more or less aligned with the position of the traveller orbiting Earth from the poster in ODST. The rings, which under the Halo era many thought to symbolise a Halo ring, are repurposed as the contrails of a stylised ship making a loop around the central object. Together it symbolises a 'change in direction' 'towards destiny'

And the central circle repurposed as a stylised version of the damaged 'traveller.' Evoking some of the key artwork of the game - obviously - and since the 'rings' are rotated, it gives more breathing space to view the damage on it. Then you might be able to see the contrail highlighted in a different colour where the damage cuts away.

More variations on a theme…

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 11:18 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

…since I'm kidding myself that I'm ‘done’; here are some more variations on the theme of an earlier version (as glimpsed in the wallpaper I posted):

[image]

[image]

…and since the whole inspiration for this was something akin to a NASA mission patch, here's an experiment at making it look like embroidery:

[image]

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 11:37 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

Wow. I especially love the blue one. And if we took the border off we could still just use it for the logo for the website and it would look good still.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 12:41 (4075 days ago) @ Xenos

Wow. I especially love the blue one. And if we took the border off we could still just use it for the logo for the website and it would look good still.

[image]

[image]

Looks sweet *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 12:59 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

And another wallpaper…

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:28 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

…having a surprisingly large amount of fun, considering this is by no means the final DBO logo!

And another wallpaper…

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 16:38 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

Aaaaaaaaand you did it...

And another wallpaper…

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 23:26 (4075 days ago) @ ZackDark

Aaaaaaaaand you did it...

I did what...?

And another wallpaper…

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 06:16 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

You made him change his Green Bay Packers wallpaper.

It's for the best, ZackDark. Next time go for the Penguins. It's a much better sport and a much better city

;-)

Getting… sleepy…

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 14:02 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

[image]

…okay I'm beat. Off to bed.

Dude, I love these!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 11:57 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

My favorite so far (there are so many awesome one to choose from!) A part of me wants the ship to be a little bigger; it looks kinda like a flying speck, and in the patch it is hard to recognize it. But bravo, man, these are incredible!

Nice textures!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 12:00 (4075 days ago) @ kapowaz

I really like this one!

[image]

You must be in Photoshop?

Some Shirt Ideas

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 12:13 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

So I've taken some of my favorite designs of mine and did some shirt ideas with them. It's been talked about so I figured why not throw some out there!

I also thought it would be cool to have our names on the shirts. Don't know if that's something people would want or not, but I think it'd be cool to be able to come up to someone and recognize them at a convention! I'll also aware this would make the shirts more expensive... But were no talking about price! were talking design, so here you go!

[image]

Really like the blue and black one. *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:01 (4075 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

I never thought I would go broke buying t-shirts

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:15 (4075 days ago) @ breitzen

These look really sweet man! I'd like to see one that incorporates kapowaz' awesome patch like design, either on the shoulder or in full glory on the front of the shirt.

The red one.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 15:30 (4075 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

by BOLL ⌂ @, Sweden, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:16 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Bleh, just had to try something. Here's an idea coming from you know... things being co-operative, playing in a group, going on an adventure, etc. Might be a bit sprawly for a logo...

[image]

Another version I whipped up over lunch...

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:39 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

...and continued after work =P

With 32x23 and 16x16 icons (ie, favicon sample :) borrowing a rough outline of the ship from Levi

[image]

There are too many good ones... can't decide!!!!!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:48 (4075 days ago) @ thebruce

*head explodes*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 19:04 (4075 days ago) @ Xenos

*head explodes*

synchronized head explosions.

Superb.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 19:30 (4075 days ago) @ Kermit

*head explodes*

synchronized head explosions.

Superb.

DBO: Our logo will make your heads asplode

and tnx, I've been trying to see if there's a way to get the cityscape in that particular design, but without adding another circle or a border, don't see it happening... and the scape is great for the larger detailed version, but pointless for the basic size-agnostic version :P

But yeah, so many great designs and variants in here it's crazy. We're just practically mixing and matching now until TPTB make a decision :)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 20:04 (4075 days ago) @ thebruce

I REALLY like this one! Is there any way to have a hint of the Traveler in the sphere? Kinda like what I did with this one:

[image]

...but using the ring and 'swoop' that you made?

Maybe something along these lines...only not as crappy.... ;)

[image]

Nice

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:51 (4075 days ago) @ thebruce

The clear "Saturn" it conveys is really cool.
And it scaled really good to favicon.

UPDATE: New Thread

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 21:22 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

This thread is getting a bit unwieldy, so let's migrate to this new one:

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=3338

Please post any new ideas/images there. I've collected all of the current submissions into a handy grid for easy comparison.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread