IGN: The Endgame is Only the Beginning (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:05 (3550 days ago)

IGN has an article about Destiny's endgame content, including Raids. Go give it a read!

“Raids are […] six-player, friends-only gauntlet runs”

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:18 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

Kind of what I suspected.

by Numinar @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 12:49 (3550 days ago) @ kapowaz

Friends only?

I better start spamming you lot with requests. Destiny is big enough that I MIGHT have 6 friends on one platform for it, but at the same time? No. Maybe this is not for me, like Raids in WoW.

Though from Payday and Legendary Halo runs of the past, countless failure punctuated by bittersweet victories does do it for me. Would like to have a go or two at them.

Or maybe I have nothing to worry about. The crowds will scream for MM, and given Bungie's Microsofting on quite a few points just from Alpha/Beta it will probably end up in the game.

(Bungie is probably right on this though I am annoyed about the increased barrier for entry. I can imagine the extra work, maintenance and known/unknown social and technical consequences for the rest of the MM environment if raids had a hopper, not trying to sound entitled here.)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 13:21 (3550 days ago) @ Numinar

With how long it sounds like they are going to take, I will definitely be organizing Raids ahead of time, maybe even on here if I can't get 6 together on my friend's list.

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 15:21 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

I think we should plan ahead to have a DBO Raiding crew. I'm in for the Xbox One!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 15:28 (3550 days ago) @ Doooskey

I think we should plan ahead to have a DBO Raiding crew. I'm in for the Xbox One!

I definitely have no problem with this, especially because I think one of the achievements requires you to finish a Raid with only members of your clan. In for any platform.

No promises, but I'm interested.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 15:30 (3550 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

Sign me up for DBO XB1 crew, will be on EST by end of year

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 03:02 (3550 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

Sign me up for DBO XB1 crew, will be on EST by end of year

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 13:54 (3549 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I don't want to overstep my bounds since I am not the most seasoned DBO'r. Who would be the some of the key Xbox One folks on DBO?

I am up for helping organize a DBO Xbox One Raiding crew though!

The DBO Raider's should be formed soon. ;)

Lets get some google docs going

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 01, 2014, 09:29 (3548 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

You mean this one?

by Zero @, Florida, Friday, August 01, 2014, 09:39 (3548 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Destiny Console Spreadsheet

I don't know how much help this could be in the first place though. There's forum handles a plenty, but hardly any actual gamertags to get in touch with. We should probably fix that.

You mean this one?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 01, 2014, 09:57 (3548 days ago) @ Zero

Destiny Console Spreadsheet

I don't know how much help this could be in the first place though. There's forum handles a plenty, but hardly any actual gamertags to get in touch with. We should probably fix that.

I think it would be cool to have a DBO tool (maybe integrated into the Calendar?) for this. Basically you could say I am running a Raid on Thursday September 25th, and people could sign up to participate. May be beyond the scope of your calendar program since I haven't looked into the software DBO uses for it, but would be cool to be able to do.

You mean this one?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 01, 2014, 11:25 (3548 days ago) @ Xenos

I think it would be cool to have a DBO tool (maybe integrated into the Calendar?) for this. Basically you could say I am running a Raid on Thursday September 25th, and people could sign up to participate. May be beyond the scope of your calendar program since I haven't looked into the software DBO uses for it, but would be cool to be able to do.

I was thinking the same. There are a lot of variables to juggle, though.

You mean this one?

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 13:24 (3546 days ago) @ Zero

Someone with editing power should add me to the spreadsheet.

Xbox One, Gamertag: Doooskey

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized I can add myself. :)

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 16:10 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

With how long it sounds like they are going to take, I will definitely be organizing Raids ahead of time, maybe even on here if I can't get 6 together on my friend's list.

I have to say, I feel like a 2 hour commitment seems a bit long for something with only 6 participants. Time will tell if that feels onerous or not, I guess.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 16:12 (3550 days ago) @ kapowaz

Maybe there's save points or some such thing along the way?

IGN: The Endgame is Only the Beginning

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:18 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

So. Much. New. Information.

Loved this article.

Daily story chapters?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:20 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

What exactly does that mean? At first glance it seems more significant than deserving a single side mention in an IGN post

Daily story chapters?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 20:05 (3550 days ago) @ JDQuackers

The way he described it made it seem to me like they're the normal story missions, but a certain one is selected to give more XP than normal. Could use some clarification, though.

Daily story chapters?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 20:53 (3550 days ago) @ stabbim

The way he described it made it seem to me like they're the normal story missions, but a certain one is selected to give more XP than normal. Could use some clarification, though.

I figure it will be similar to campaign challenges in Reach.

So Definitely More Than One

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:23 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

In a nutshell, that's some of the philosophy that was driving raid design as we were building the first raid in Destiny.

This indicates a plurality of raids, yes?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:30 (3550 days ago) @ DaDerga

In a nutshell, that's some of the philosophy that was driving raid design as we were building the first raid in Destiny.

This indicates a plurality of raids, yes?

I definitely think there will be more than one, but there may only be one at launch.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:32 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

I definitely think there will be more than one, but there may only be one at launch.

One for launch is absolutely fine. Don't want to be getting greedy now. ;)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 20:06 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

That's the only explanation I can think of for the confusing language being used for raid(s). Referring to it/them as singular one minute, and plural the next.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 14:00 (3549 days ago) @ stabbim

That's the only explanation I can think of for the confusing language being used for raid(s). Referring to it/them as singular one minute, and plural the next.

What if it's just a 100-level slog -type thing, and they're referring to it as "The Raid", because there's only one; yet the act itself is the activity. Like "Hey stabs, you want to do a Raid?", meaning in all probability we'll die, but we'd collect sweet loot along the way.

And then one day, maybe, just maybe we'll make it to the end. Or the secret cow level.

~m

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 14:05 (3549 days ago) @ Malagate

I think there's definitely a mix of one day there will be raid(s), but they wanted a hard "The" to let you know it is not to be trifled with.

I'm excited for Strikes and the Super Strike (also known as The Raid)

The Raid: Redemption

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 14:11 (3549 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 14:46 (3549 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I think there's definitely a mix of one day there will be raid(s), but they wanted a hard "The" to let you know it is not to be trifled with.

I'm excited for Strikes and the Super Strike (also known as The Raid)

I'm excited to build the ultimate tank. Probably a safe bet there will be a point at which the more support-style supers will be the key to progress. That's where I want to play.

I mean, if someone wouldn't mind dropping some Ward of Dawn footage, that would be pretty cool, I guess.

Aaaand it's likely no mere coincidence that a party of six allows one of each subclass...

~m

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 14:50 (3549 days ago) @ Malagate

Unless there's those mysterious third subclasses, which I hope there are.

Character Levels and Content Levels

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:34 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

I think Bungie needs to be careful about the terminology they're using to describe two separate concepts: that of the level of your player and the level of some content that player can participate in. In a couple of points in this article Luke uses the two terms interchangeably and I think it's a bit confusing:

So if you're a fresh level 20 you can play the Nightfall daily activity at level 22 and it's going to be hard.

I can work out what he's driving at (the content is aimed at a level 22 player) but I'm wondering if they wouldn't be better off using relative terms to describe the difficulty of content? I'm thinking the standard normal, heroic, legendary progression would work here — attempting content aimed at your level is normal, 2 or 3 levels above yours is heroic, and 4 or more is legendary.

The beta kind of did this...

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 10:33 (3550 days ago) @ kapowaz

I think Bungie needs to be careful about the terminology they're using to describe two separate concepts: that of the level of your player and the level of some content that player can participate in. In a couple of points in this article Luke uses the two terms interchangeably and I think it's a bit confusing:

So if you're a fresh level 20 you can play the Nightfall daily activity at level 22 and it's going to be hard.

I can work out what he's driving at (the content is aimed at a level 22 player) but I'm wondering if they wouldn't be better off using relative terms to describe the difficulty of content? I'm thinking the standard normal, heroic, legendary progression would work here — attempting content aimed at your level is normal, 2 or 3 levels above yours is heroic, and 4 or more is legendary.

The beta did exactly that. When you changed difficulty levels on the story mission it would tell you relatively how hard it was for your character. The alpha I believe calculated your weapon effectiveness also, so I'm not sure if that's factored in.

On second thoughts…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 10:33 (3550 days ago) @ kapowaz

…I just think it was awkward language. I'm sure this isn't as big a problem as I was initially thinking.

Who needs a friend?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:34 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

New game type: protect Kermit.

Who needs a friend?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:57 (3550 days ago) @ Kermit

Sounds way too hard for me. Maybe something easier like: Halo 2 Legendary All Jackal Snipers All The Time + Swat + Iron + Grunt Birthday Party Mode? ;)

Who needs a friend?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 10:04 (3550 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Sounds way too hard for me. Maybe something easier like: Halo 2 Legendary All Jackal Snipers All The Time + Swat + Iron + Grunt Birthday Party Mode? ;)

Yeah, there you go. Maybe we'll try a co-op run of that this fall.

Sorry I didn't catch up with you during the beta. Join us for co-op night tonight!

Who needs a friend?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 17:14 (3550 days ago) @ Kermit

I think I remember that game-type in Halo as well... ;)

I think Raids sound incredibly fun, but also incredible difficult!

This is the article I've been waiting for

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:53 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Skulls

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 10:50 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

One thing he confirms, and the beta kind of mentioned, is a skull like system for missions. That should be interesting for those nightfall missions. It sounds like they pulled a lot from what worked and what didn't in Halo Reach challenges, so I'm pumped to see.

One thing I was hoping to hear about was some crazy ass high level public events. I think the actual gameplay in public events is a ton of fun, so I'd love to see some work as high level content.

There's also an interesting piece about how we get to high level gear. It sounds like Bungie is pursuing both a path through random acquisition (Cryptarchs, drops) and a path where you can get exactly what you want eventually (Vanguard tokens, crucible tokes, OTHER THINGS) I"m curious to see how that will pan out.

by Lord Friendship @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 11:22 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

I like a lot of this. Tricky, long-form endgame content sounds interesting.

I need more Xbox Live friends.

No Destiny video has exited me more than this one.

by GrimBrotherIII, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 11:40 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Now you're just messing with us, aren't you?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 12:02 (3550 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Well played, GrimIII. Well played

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 15:19 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

Raids sound awesome, but the lack of matchmaking does concern me. I'm rarely playing at times when my friends are online... certainly not for 2-3 hours straight. I understand Bungie's stance that raids require communication and are best experienced with friends, but I'd much prefer they give me the choice. As it stands, with no matchmaking support, I'll likely never get to try any of the raids unless I attempt them solo.

by petetheduck, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 06:44 (3549 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Raids sound awesome, but the lack of matchmaking does concern me. I'm rarely playing at times when my friends are online... certainly not for 2-3 hours straight. I understand Bungie's stance that raids require communication and are best experienced with friends, but I'd much prefer they give me the choice. As it stands, with no matchmaking support, I'll likely never get to try any of the raids unless I attempt them solo.

Aw. While it might not be possible to just log in and pick up a group, I'm sure it won't be too difficult to coordinate with 5 other players a little in advance.

What I'm most curious about regarding Raids is if 6 players is really mandatory, or if you can make do with just 5 or maybe even 4. Obviously it would be harder, but just wondering if the experience has a little flexibility or if there is something dumb like 6 pressure plates and everyone has to stand on one to open the next door.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 08:05 (3549 days ago) @ petetheduck

Sadly, it really is unlikely that I'll be able to coordinate something like that, at least no time soon. I managed to spend about 30 minutes playing with the TBoD guys and a few other friends on the last day of the beta... that was the most time I've spent playing with friends in about a year. It's obviously not Bungie's fault that my schedule is so strange (I do most of my playing between 6am-9am), but I do wish they'd let us decide if we want to risk playing the raids with randoms, rather than making that decision for us.

Like you, I'm also curious about how possible it would be to pull these Raids off solo. I'm sure RC Master and Mythic Tyrant will be the first to let us know :)

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 09:32 (3549 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Like you, I'm also curious about how possible it would be to pull these Raids off solo. I'm sure RC Master and Mythic Tyrant will be the first to let us know :)

Haha, when I read your other post about solo'ing them, the first thing I thought was: "I wonder if Mythic Tyrant will make videos to beat the raid solo..."

Challenge accepted!

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 12:06 (3549 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In September:

*Enters the Raid lobby*

'Sorry, you do not have enough players to start The Vault of Glass'

"Well, I guess that's that..." :/

Step One: Get Outside Lobby.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 12:09 (3549 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread