Thoughts on private PvP matches (Destiny)

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:11 (3529 days ago)

Does anyone think that we will have the ability to explore PvP maps in any meaningful way outside of match made crucible games?

The launch of Titanfall was the same way, until a relatively recent update added private match capability (but this still required at least two players).

Do you think we will have the same situation in Destiny? I would love to have some kind of customization options... Like a ~~supers~~ slappers only game type

Thoughts on private PvP matches

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 09:18 (3529 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Does anyone think that we will have the ability to explore PvP maps in any meaningful way outside of match made crucible games?

I sure hope so (maybe I should be glad for less custom game things to juggle but maybe not).

The launch of Titanfall was the same way, until a relatively recent update added private match capability (but this still required at least two players).

The same way as what, the beta?

Do you think we will have the same situation in Destiny? I would love to have some kind of customization options... Like a ~~supers~~ slappers only game type

I really, really hope so, the if we could control loadouts and pick from every weapon and upgrade, let alone any super and other abilities, we could build really, really interesting and potentially very fun gametypes, come to think of it that would give a lot of flexibility without any map editing (although I'd still really like map editing).

I think they said no for launch

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 10:21 (3529 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Since there are no weapons on map, ammo spawns are called out, objectives are fairly obvious and all the classes have enhanced jump, there isn't as much need to explore maps to get to know them as Halo. IMO.

Though, of course I hope they do introduce private matches later.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 10:36 (3529 days ago) @ RC

Since there are no weapons on map, ammo spawns are called out, objectives are fairly obvious and all the classes have enhanced jump, there isn't as much need to explore maps to get to know them as Halo. IMO.

Completely disagree. The maps all felt significantly more complex than maps from Halo, and I found it harder to learn them (particularly given how quickly you can die) than those in Halo. I'd definitely appreciate the ability to explore maps outside of combat.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 11:15 (3529 days ago) @ kapowaz

Completely disagree. The maps all felt significantly more complex than maps from Halo, and I found it harder to learn them (particularly given how quickly you can die) than those in Halo. I'd definitely appreciate the ability to explore maps outside of combat.

Wouldn't it be cool if, during explore mode, you found this sign that said "Restricted Training Area: Keep Out." You would of course ignore the sign and explore a multiplayer map.

Thoughts on private PvP matches

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 10:27 (3529 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I'd like to maybe see a game type where everyone starts with a Super charged. It sure would make the first few encounters interesting...

Destiny's worst feature

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 10:59 (3529 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Halo had this truly great element of users creating their own kind of content for it. It started with deep custom match features in CE, to forge and films in 3, a basic map editor and custom single player challenges via firefight in Reach.

Destiny seems much more directed and designed, there's much less room to make our own types of fun and content.

I mean, I get it, all those things don't work well in this vision of a cohesive "Shared Shooter World" but that stuff was staggeringly important to Halo developing a following, and something of a Bungie hallmark. Seeing it dumped unceremoniously seems like an awful decision in the long run to me. A player base ability to consume is always going to outstrip a developers ability to generate new content, so the ability to create new game types and experiences within a few rule tweaks was huge to Halo's success.

Don't get me wrong, Destiny looks like a massive content bomb. That's finite though, a good community can stretch it out for years.

What we have lost...

by Numinar @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 12:57 (3529 days ago) @ electricpirate

I love what I have played of Destiny, and hopefully some of this stuff comes on line later but this is just one of the things we have lost.

Custom games
-Map selection
-Arranged matches
-Forge
-Replays
-Deep settings adjustments/customisation.
-Proximity Voice (Though Halo 2 is the last time we saw the good version of this, like with Clans.)
-Firefight

Co-op
-3 players is less than 4.

Single Player
-Tight, balanced difficulty settings (I'm sure they have done a lot to counter this in end game content, but the problem with any game with progression is that that every time you fail, you come back stronger not so much in skill and knowledge but in physical survivability and damage, ruing the encounter-puzzles that made the best bits of Heroic and Legendary so good).
-Marines chats!

I think I forgot some stuff, but busy. I would poor one out for features loved and lost but this stuff is expensive.

What we have lost...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 13:02 (3529 days ago) @ Numinar

I love what I have played of Destiny, and hopefully some of this stuff comes on line later but this is just one of the things we have lost.

Custom games
-Map selection
-Arranged matches
-Forge
-Replays
-Proximity Voice (Though Halo 2 is the last time we saw the good version of this, like with Clans.)
-Firefight

Co-op

Single Player
-Tight, balanced difficulty settings (I'm sure they have done a lot to counter this in end game content, but the problem with any game with progression is that that every time you fail, you come back stronger not so much in skill and knowledge but in physical survivability and damage, ruing the encounter-puzzles that made the best bits of Heroic and Legendary so good).
-Marines chats!

I think I forgot some stuff, but busy. I would poor one out for features loved and lost but this stuff is expensive.

I wouldn't put Firefight on the list. In Destiny I can be matchmade with two other players and fight against waves of enemies any time I want! And I couldn't really put 4 player co-op on there either, because I rarely had a good time with internet co-op, what with the lag and slowdown.

I don't think lost is the right word...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 14:44 (3529 days ago) @ Numinar

Obviously there are some things I'd love to have someday in Destiny, like a theater/screenshot mode, but Destiny never had that to begin with, so how could we have "lost" them?

Nor has it ever had Forge, 4-player co-op, custom matches, etc...

It should be worth noting that Destiny is the first in a series and a sort of new sub-genre. If we are to compare Destiny to Halo, then right now it should be equated to Halo CE, and CE didn't have anywhere near the options Reach had. The suite of features were slowly built upon the Halo series over the course of a decade. I say let Destiny be wrangled and mastered fist, as it is an all new beast, before trying to add in a bunch of extras we grew accustomed to in a different series. Let's see what works and what doesn't and what features would be best suited for it as it grows and comes into its own.

To me, change =/= lost or gained when it's two different types of fruit. We might as well say Destiny has lost the RTS elements of Myth or the quick-turns of Marathon. :)

I don't think lost is the right word...

by Numinar @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 16:31 (3529 days ago) @ Leviathan

Agreed! It's a big departure despite still being a sci-fi FPS. It's still hard to go back. Custom games especially. (Custom's night will have to stay with H4/Reach/ODST/H3 for now, or change it's name to "insert activity X, MM with clanmates and hope for the best!" night!)

I guess features and tech are what held the previous Bungie titles above the forgettable tryhard competitors that didn't last longer than their marketing budget. Destiny still needs to prove itself (Unless you happily sunk dozens of hours into the pre-release stuff like most of us and don't need more proof).

Lets see what we lost from Marathon -> Halo

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 01:33 (3528 days ago) @ Numinar

- No text -

What we have lost...

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 21:25 (3527 days ago) @ Numinar

Custom games
-Map selection
-Arranged matches
-Forge
-Replays
-Firefight

Co-op

Yes, but it actually works, and across a much greater variety of locations and internet connections than Halo co-op ever did. I've yet to see an international Halo coop match go well, and I've never participated in one that did. For the most part, the Beta was as smooth as butter in this regard. Only the occasional hiccup let me know I wasn't playing a local game.

For that gain I would gladly trade away most of the rest.

I'll miss Theater mode the most.

Amen

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 01, 2014, 04:05 (3527 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

What we have lost...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, August 01, 2014, 04:17 (3527 days ago) @ narcogen

More than the chaos of Firefight or the wackiness and imagination of Forge, it was Halo's theatre mode that really drew me in. For hours on end I watched gameplay footage whether it was a full campaign mission setting the camera in cinematically appealing spots or in the thick of a heated competitive match, it brought just as much entertainment as the game proper. This was my creative outlet for Halo. I never had much ambition setting building blocks together, nor was I attune to what truly made an enjoyable gameplay experience. Finding the best angle, the best manipulation of light and elements, and so many other factors all came together to give my ultimate gift back to Halo.

Yes, Destiny is it's own game and Bungie is right to set it apart from the crowd and it's own trail of the games preceding it. However, Theatre mode for me, not just in Halo, has become an integral component of a game or at least it should be. Bungie got Thater mode right from the very start and it seemed like little had to be done to give yet another creative element for players to enjoy in ODST and later for Rrach. While I can surely understand Destiny having a considerably broader scope that would challenge them for Theatre mode, that in the end is what makes a truly great game. Whatever it would turn out to be could be better had it not been refined, but it would have been fantastic given the ability nonetheless.

Holy fuck that was dramatic for no reason.

What we have lost...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 01, 2014, 05:03 (3527 days ago) @ Grizzlei

More than the chaos of Firefight or the wackiness and imagination of Forge, it was Halo's theatre mode that really drew me in. For hours on end I watched gameplay footage whether it was a full campaign mission setting the camera in cinematically appealing spots or in the thick of a heated competitive match, it brought just as much entertainment as the game proper. This was my creative outlet for Halo. I never had much ambition setting building blocks together, nor was I attune to what truly made an enjoyable gameplay experience. Finding the best angle, the best manipulation of light and elements, and so many other factors all came together to give my ultimate gift back to Halo.

Preach it. Your experience speaks to mine. I could spend an afternoon reliving a level playthrough, exploring, taking screenshots, watching everything unfold from the enemies' side of the battlefield.

Good thing we've now got video capture. Yay.

What we have lost...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, August 01, 2014, 05:20 (3527 days ago) @ Kermit

Preach it. Your experience speaks to mine. I could spend an afternoon reliving a level playthrough, exploring, taking screenshots, watching everything unfold from the enemies' side of the battlefield.

Standardized video capture on the next-generation consoles is a fantastic development, absolutely, but I think at its core it is vastly inferior to the playback provided in Halo. Being able to seamlessly detach the camera from your first-person perspective, bringing it out to third person, setting it on another player, or removing the constraints altogether is what made it so special. You weren't constricted to the action you witnessed first hand. You could go forward and backwards in time or concurrently look ahead to see what other players and characters were doing. That should be just as much of a standard as easily accessible, in-depth statistics.

One thing that a Theatre mode would do well to offer, however, is the ability to upload directly to streaming sites like YouTube, Twitch, etc. Meshing together the great tools of this mode with the prevalence of streaming media would make an utterly brilliant application for any game. If Destiny wasn't a fabulous game from what we've been teased with already, then something like this would surely do the trick for me come September.

What we have lost...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 01, 2014, 06:06 (3527 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Standardized video capture on the next-generation consoles is a fantastic development, absolutely, but I think at its core it is vastly inferior to the playback provided in Halo. Being able to seamlessly detach the camera from your first-person perspective, bringing it out to third person, setting it on another player, or removing the constraints altogether is what made it so special. You weren't constricted to the action you witnessed first hand. You could go forward and backwards in time or concurrently look ahead to see what other players and characters were doing. That should be just as much of a standard as easily accessible, in-depth statistics.

One thing that a Theatre mode would do well to offer, however, is the ability to upload directly to streaming sites like YouTube, Twitch, etc. Meshing together the great tools of this mode with the prevalence of streaming media would make an utterly brilliant application for any game. If Destiny wasn't a fabulous game from what we've been teased with already, then something like this would surely do the trick for me come September.

I agree, and I was being sarcastic about video capture.

What we have lost...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, August 01, 2014, 06:11 (3527 days ago) @ Kermit

I agree, and I was being sarcastic about video capture.

Yeah, I noticed your use of small-sized font far too late into writing my reply. I was committed. :P

What we have lost...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 01, 2014, 13:14 (3527 days ago) @ Grizzlei

That sort-of exists via the next-gen consoles' video capture. Assuming theater mode existed, you could easily playback your desired footage in Theater, and just video-capture it using the console, and upload from there. I do it for Forza 5 sometimes. XBone only does SkyDrive uploads for the moment, but hopefully they'll wise up later when that service flops. I'm pretty sure PS4 does YouTube already?

Oh, Kermit! All this talk of video capture has made me realize a possible reason for the mixed-output voice chat. It might be like that so that captured game footage includes your fireteam's voices. Which I think is legit, game footage that includes player's voices is almost always better. Though one wonders why it's like that on last-gen consoles. Maybe they just thought it would be a better user experience if the game behaved the same on all systems? I suppose it still helps out people who have external video capture equipment.

What we have lost...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 01, 2014, 13:24 (3527 days ago) @ stabbim

That sort-of exists via the next-gen consoles' video capture. Assuming theater mode existed, you could easily playback your desired footage in Theater, and just video-capture it using the console, and upload from there. I do it for Forza 5 sometimes. XBone only does SkyDrive uploads for the moment, but hopefully they'll wise up later when that service flops. I'm pretty sure PS4 does YouTube already?

Actually XBone does let you upload to Youtube right now using the Youtube app, PS4 does not (yet).

What we have lost...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 01, 2014, 19:02 (3526 days ago) @ Xenos

Ah, I didn't realize - never downloaded it as I didn't care to watch YouTube videos via a console. If I'd known about that... *runs off to download YouTube.*

What we have lost...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 01, 2014, 08:35 (3527 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, I hope they sort it out eventually, it's just so different to explore these environments and capture clips without looking down the barrel of a gun. Also, we have to think of the machinima!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread