Old Chicago (Destiny)

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Monday, August 04, 2014, 19:34 (3546 days ago)

Hi DBO! How's the other side of the pond doing?

I'm officially still on the fence about Destiny as something I want to invest lots of time into, but one thing that I'm not on the fence about is all the artwork that's gone into the game. It's all fantastic. In searching through some of the concept art of Earth from a while back, I was drawn to this rendition of Chicago as it supposedly exists in the future:

[image]

I was in the area of Navy Pier today after seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, and figured I'd take the opportunity to do a side-by-side:

[image]

It's not quite the same, but a close enough angle. Figured I'd post in case anyone finds this interesting.

Absolutely brilliant!

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, August 04, 2014, 19:40 (3546 days ago) @ Postmortem

- No text -

Awesome.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 04, 2014, 19:41 (3546 days ago) @ Postmortem

- No text -

Old Chicago

by Claude Errera @, Monday, August 04, 2014, 20:52 (3546 days ago) @ Postmortem

Hi DBO! How's the other side of the pond doing?

I'm officially still on the fence about Destiny as something I want to invest lots of time into, but one thing that I'm not on the fence about is all the artwork that's gone into the game. It's all fantastic. In searching through some of the concept art of Earth from a while back, I was drawn to this rendition of Chicago as it supposedly exists in the future:

[image]

I was in the area of Navy Pier today after seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, and figured I'd take the opportunity to do a side-by-side:

[image]

It's not quite the same, but a close enough angle. Figured I'd post in case anyone finds this interesting.

Whoa. That's close. Here's an overlay (no tweaking for perspective):

[image]

Old Chicago

by Wayward Spleen @, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 05:56 (3546 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Am I the only one who expects their old offices to be a great source of exploration?

Old Chicago

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 07:55 (3546 days ago) @ Wayward Spleen

Am I the only one who expects their old offices to be a great source of exploration?

The way Bethesda snuck a text adventure RPG into Fallout 3, as an Easter Egg, on the same spot on the map their office would be?

-- Steve never did find that one, but his hat's doffed to folks with the crazy dedication to build those sort of things.

Old Chicago

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 06, 2014, 12:48 (3544 days ago) @ Wayward Spleen
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, August 06, 2014, 12:54

"Guardian, search the computers in that building. You're looking for an old 20th century computer program that contains the multiplayer code to Oni. We need the Iron Demon to fight against the Cabal!"

A bonus objective would be to find the M2 patch, so you can switch to your fire team member's view by pressing delete.

Old Chicago

by Fantom ⌂, Chicago, Illinois, Monday, August 04, 2014, 21:17 (3546 days ago) @ Postmortem

Lurked here for years, registered to compliment on this.

Being from Chicago, I seriously hope we get Old Chicago in the game. Doubtful but...
I even started The Windy City Guardians clan.

Good job finding the shot. This community is great.
Glad to finally be a part of it.

Old Chicago

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 04, 2014, 21:39 (3546 days ago) @ Fantom

Great city. Welcome.

Old Chicago

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 07:43 (3546 days ago) @ Fantom

Lurked here for years, registered to compliment on this.

Being from Chicago, I seriously hope we get Old Chicago in the game. Doubtful but...
I even started The Windy City Guardians clan.

Good job finding the shot. This community is great.
Glad to finally be a part of it.

Now I wish I posted my Chicago mini-writeup. Long Story short, Headquarters is what's up.

Old Chicago

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Wednesday, August 06, 2014, 16:38 (3544 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

You still need to come back for Emporium. ;)

Also of note, this picture was taken pretty much exactly where our adventure began, on the same corner where your family left us to our own devices.

Old Chicago

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, August 06, 2014, 16:41 (3544 days ago) @ Postmortem

You still need to come back for Emporium. ;)

Also of note, this picture was taken pretty much exactly where our adventure began, on the same corner where your family left us to our own devices.

That's where everything went south and our golden age ended :P

Old Chicago

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, August 04, 2014, 23:46 (3546 days ago) @ Postmortem
edited by Pyromancy, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 00:12

For fun, I lifted the GPS coordinates from the EXIF data in your image. Roughly converted using Google and plugged them into Maps to look for a Street View

I'm going to piggy back your thread. :) I've had some long standing ruminations in my mind that I have not posted about until now

The bird's eye view of the shape of the famous Lake Point Tower (seen in the Chicago skyline and in that concept art) is roughly somewhat Tricorn-ish?

[image]

The image of the "Garden" has that striking rock formation featured in it. Not long after it was revealed I decided to try to think of or find a similar rock outcropping that may have provided inspiration.
A while after that I found an indeterminate specimen in the Palawan region near Puerto Princesa, it can be seen on the underground river tour. I thought the shaping was interesting. I wish there was a more conclusive example out there somewhere in the world.
[image]
[image]

So cool

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 00:29 (3546 days ago) @ Postmortem

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread