Gamestop begins Presale of DESTINY EXPANSION PASS (Destiny)

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:10 (3513 days ago)
edited by PackLeader89, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:13

So I got a nice little email from Gamestop this morning telling me to pre-buy the Destiny Expansion Pass. [image]

It comes with:
-Additional Story Missions
-More Co-Op Activities
-Competitive Multiplayer Arenas
-New weapons, gear, and armor
-And Much more!

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/dlc/destiny-expansion-pass/115794#productDetails

Text From Description:

"Expand your Destiny adventure with brand new story missions, cooperative and competitive multiplayer arenas, and all wealth of all new weapons, armor, and gear to earn. The Destiny Expansion Pass includes Destiny Expansion I: The Dark Below and Destiny Expansion II: House of Wolves. In The Dark Below, you'll discover an ancient tomb has been unsealed. Beneath the surface of the Moon, a dark god has answered centuries of prayer, and a dark army has risen. Explore the true depths of the Hellmouth. Stop the dark Hive ritual and survive."

Gamestop begins Presale of DESTINY EXPANSION PASS

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:16 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

So what I am guessing is that if the full Expansion Pass is selling at $35, then that means that buying each expansion (I & II) on its own will be about $20 a pop.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:25 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

So what I am guessing is that if the full Expansion Pass is selling at $35, then that means that buying each expansion (I & II) on its own will be about $20 a pop.

And buying the the Guardian Edition of the game saves you another $5, and comes with a couple other things!

+1

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:30 (3513 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:32 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

Do these packs transfer between consoles? If I buy this for XB1, can I also access it on my 360? I'm going to be swapping back and forth to play with different people, so does that mean I have to buy it twice?

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:39 (3513 days ago) @ bluerunner

That's a good question man. My initial guess is "NO" because you are technically buying two different products. I would see it as buying Destiny 360 and then wanting to get credit for Destiny on XB1.

When do you plan on transitioning from 360 to XB1?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:48 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

That's a good question man. My initial guess is "NO" because you are technically buying two different products. I would see it as buying Destiny 360 and then wanting to get credit for Destiny on XB1.

It won't be a transition. I'll be playing back and forth. Since there's no split screen, I'll be picking up a cheap, used second 360 to play with my boy. Between now and Christmas I'll get an XB1. I'll still be playing on 360 when him and I play together, and on XB1 when I play with folks from DBO. I guess that also means I'll end up buying 2 copies of the expansion for 360 as well.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:48 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

If I can answer for him, I don't think blue is planning on transitioning. A number of us will be playing on multiple platforms at once, and I have the same question. I'll have the expansion pack for the Xbox One. I'll have the standard version for the 360. The weapon and armor extras would have to be transferrable, I would guess, given that I would expect those to travel with your character builds. It would be a pleasant surprise if the other content transferred as well.

EDIT: He answered.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:50 (3513 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, I'm guessing gear and stuff like that would have to be transferable and it makes sense for everything, including expansion content, to also be transferable.

As an American, though, I have a hard time seeing Bungie and Xbox just being so...loving.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:10 (3513 days ago) @ Kermit

If I can answer for him, I don't think blue is planning on transitioning. A number of us will be playing on multiple platforms at once, and I have the same question. I'll have the expansion pack for the Xbox One. I'll have the standard version for the 360. The weapon and armor extras would have to be transferrable, I would guess, given that I would expect those to travel with your character builds. It would be a pleasant surprise if the other content transferred as well.

This is how I'm going to be playing as well. Standard version on 360 for me+kid, or any DBO'ers on the 360, but first and foremost on the Xbone; which is where I'm planning on doing DLC purchasing.

But...wasn't it confirmed that we'll only be able to transfer from lastgen to newgen? No backing-and-forthing, way I understood it.

~m

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:13 (3513 days ago) @ Malagate

But...wasn't it confirmed that we'll only be able to transfer from lastgen to newgen? No backing-and-forthing, way I understood it.

~m

Was this for character content and gear or did it also apply to apply to things with a monetary value, such as games and DLCs?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:16 (3513 days ago) @ Malagate

This is how I'm going to be playing as well. Standard version on 360 for me+kid, or any DBO'ers on the 360, but first and foremost on the Xbone; which is where I'm planning on doing DLC purchasing.

~m

Just for what it's worth, in the beta I played on my XB1, then my 360, then my XB1, and my 360 again without any issues with the same character.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:19 (3513 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That may be true, but what about stuff you have to pay money for? My example earlier on was buying the game itself. You have to buy two copies of the game right, if you want to play on 360 and XB1? It would make sense to also make people buy two DLCs, one for 360 and one for XB1. Idk.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:22 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

That may be true, but what about stuff you have to pay money for? My example earlier on was buying the game itself. You have to buy two copies of the game right, if you want to play on 360 and XB1? It would make sense to also make people buy two DLCs, one for 360 and one for XB1. Idk.

Well I think it may actually unlock within your bungie.net account where your 360 and XB1 accounts are tied. I believe this because the "DLC" will be downloaded onto everyone's machine, at the very least whatever loot it includes since non-dlc players will still be able to see you just fine, at least that's what I got from the description.

I hope that's the case.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:25 (3513 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:24 (3513 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Just for what it's worth, in the beta I played on my XB1, then my 360, then my XB1, and my 360 again without any issues with the same character.

Huh. That's a new one on me. Dunno how that got by me. Excellent news, though.

I would suspect the same doesn't hold true for the actual area content/crucible maps from the DLC, though. Gear and weapons on your character or in your Vault would transfer, but you'd be restricted to the standard load of environments, basically, would be my guess.

Of course, I'd prefer that not to be the case, but I don't see MS letting all the revenue from those possible purchases slide.

~m

That's what I'm saying.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:27 (3513 days ago) @ Malagate

I can see Microsoft/Xbox and Bungie make us pay twice for content even if gear and loot are transferable.

That's what I'm saying.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:32 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

I can see Microsoft/Xbox and Bungie make us pay twice for content even if gear and loot are transferable.

As much as I (selfishly) don't like it, I would understand it. The line would have to be drawn somewhere, otherwise content would be flying out the door, and though the community would be ecstatic the resulting numbers would hurt the content providers in the end.

Also, bear in mind that those of us buying multiple copies to play across different consoles are fairly rare cases, and it seems to me Bungle is doing us as many favors as they can already with how things are set up.

~m

+1

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:34 (3513 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

And that's what I was trying to say above.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 19:52 (3513 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

Nope

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, August 15, 2014, 09:15 (3513 days ago) @ bluerunner

I asked MS support a week or two ago. They are two different products/codes :(

Nope

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 09:23 (3513 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

There we go. Thanks for that heads up.

It's time to dish out the big money!

Nope

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 15, 2014, 09:37 (3513 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I asked MS support a week or two ago. They are two different products/codes :(

So, if I want to play on both, I've got to buy it for XB1 plus twice for the 360. Each expansion is going to cost the same as a new game.

How does this work for weapons and armor? What if I just decide to buy it for XB1? Will that stuff not show up when I swap to 360?

Nope

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 09:41 (3513 days ago) @ bluerunner

So what we were saying before is that weapons and armor may show up on both systems, but you may be restricted on missions, story content, strikes, etc., to the system that you bought the download for.

Nope

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, August 15, 2014, 12:51 (3513 days ago) @ bluerunner

You should only need to buy content once on your 360.

If I recall correctly, it works for 360 similar to how it works now on PS4.

Whatever 360 console you download it to first, is the primary console and ANY account on that console can play the content. On the Second console, you should be able to download it again (DRM, it follows you) but in order to use it you must be signed in.

If you were planning to be signed onto both 360s at the same time so lil blue could play, I don't think that works that way. He'll likely need his own account as Destiny is not a game where you can bring guests like in the older games.

I could be wrong on that, but that's what I remember doing for Halo 3 DLC many moons ago for a buddy of mine. I bought the content and signed him onto my primary machine so he could access it, while I downloaded my profile to his console to play.

In addition,

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, August 15, 2014, 12:56 (3513 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I don't know what your expectation was with how DLC was going to work for this game. BF4 would probably be the most recent example to compare it to.

I got some DLC for BF4 on 360, but that DCL doesn't follow me to XB1 because it is a different product, different system.

I've never played a console game where they let you do what you were hoping (if they even exist). Even Rockband 2 made you repurchase the songs from RB1 to play in its library (though the price was deeply discounted).

For folks wanting to play Destiny on three different systems, you all are gonna have to make peace with the fact that you'll have to buy the same content 3 times.

I don't think any of this should have come as a surprise, but that's just me. ::shrugs::

In addition,

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 15, 2014, 13:15 (3513 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I ain't mad, but I would like to know how it's all going to work ahead of time so I can plan accordingly. If I gotta pay twice, so be it. I just want to know for sure, or at least leave a nice enough sob story that they might feel generous. :P

In addition,

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, August 15, 2014, 13:34 (3513 days ago) @ bluerunner

I ain't mad, but I would like to know how it's all going to work ahead of time so I can plan accordingly. If I gotta pay twice, so be it. I just want to know for sure, or at least leave a nice enough sob story that they might feel generous. :P

I know it's not what you want to hear, and I don't want to sound all "Korny" about it, but your Destiny experience, especially since you want to game with your family, is better suited to PS4. For now.

I know that the start up costs of getting two PS4, and PS+ are cost prohibitive, but in the long run, you should technically save money that way, on games and DLC that is. Maybe.

However, I agree whole 100% that is a bit of a waste when you have two perfectly good consoles already that are capable of playing.

If I were you, I'd be doing exactly what you are doing too and moving my character from XB1 to 360 and vice versa. You've already got equipment that will work, it's just not the most pleasing situation.

In addition,

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 15, 2014, 13:42 (3513 days ago) @ Revenant1988

XB1 won me over with the Master Chief Collection. I really want to play Halo 1 and 2 multiplayer. Plus starting and maintaining another Destiny character on PS4 would feel like too much work.

In addition,

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 11:13 (3509 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I know it's not what you want to hear, and I don't want to sound all "Korny" about it, but your Destiny experience, especially since you want to game with your family, is better suited to PS4. For now.

I keep seeing this and I don't know what people are basing it on (I know what it might be, but I don't know what people actually have in mind).

In addition,

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 15, 2014, 20:21 (3513 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I don't know what your expectation was with how DLC was going to work for this game. BF4 would probably be the most recent example to compare it to.

I got some DLC for BF4 on 360, but that DCL doesn't follow me to XB1 because it is a different product, different system.

I've never played a console game where they let you do what you were hoping (if they even exist).

Totally works with PS3 -> PS4. Actually, it even works retroactively. I got the Battlefield Premium pass on PS4, but I am able to use it on PS3.

Also, all of my Last of Us season pass content from PS3 transfers over to PS4's Last of Us Remastered, despite it technically being a "different" game.

No doubt Destiny will be the same, given the DLC track record.

Heck, They are making PS4 versions of The Unfinished Swan and Journey (amazing experience), and if you own the PS3 versions (which were free on PS+), you get the new PS4 versions free, and with Share Play, All of your friends can give it a go as well for free...

For folks wanting to play Destiny on three different systems, you all are gonna have to make peace with the fact that you'll have to buy the same content 3 times.

Sadly, in most cases, yes. Which actually kind of sucks for me because since we only need to buy one copy and one season pass for our two PS4s, I was hoping to pick up an extra one for the 360, and the ability to ugrade it to the XBONE would have greatly helped boost the odds of an eventual purchase.

WAIT A HOT SECOND!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, August 15, 2014, 22:48 (3513 days ago) @ Korny
edited by MrPadraig08, Friday, August 15, 2014, 22:51

I've never played a console game where they let you do what you were hoping (if they even exist).

Totally works with PS3 -> PS4. Actually, it even works retroactively. I got the Battlefield Premium pass on PS4, but I am able to use it on PS3.

Also, all of my Last of Us season pass content from PS3 transfers over to PS4's Last of Us Remastered, despite it technically being a "different" game.

No doubt Destiny will be the same, given the DLC track record.

Heck, They are making PS4 versions of The Unfinished Swan and Journey (amazing experience), and if you own the PS3 versions (which were free on PS+), you get the new PS4 versions free, and with Share Play, All of your friends can give it a go as well for free...

Sadly, in most cases, yes. Which actually kind of sucks for me because since we only need to buy one copy and one season pass for our two PS4s, I was hoping to pick up an extra one for the 360, and the ability to ugrade it to the XBONE would have greatly helped boost the odds of an eventual purchase.

According this thread: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4271/t/1680275.aspx

Season Passes may allude the rules of normal DLC. Individual DLC purchases will have to be done on each, but it sounds like Season Passes will be a catch all for the gamertag.

Korny, you keep mentioning season passes transfer between PS3 and PS4, can you confirm individual DLC's do as well?

Don't worry Korny, you can buy that Xbone in confidence now.

EDIT: Here's a quote from the COD Ghosts Season Pass site: Upgrading to a next-gen console? Purchase the Season Pass before May 31, 2014 and the content follows you FREE within a console family, so you can play now and upgrade later.

Need confirmation Destiny's season pass is like this or if it's the default way season passes work on next-gen.

WAIT A HOT SECOND!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 10:34 (3512 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Korny, you keep mentioning season passes transfer between PS3 and PS4, can you confirm individual DLC's do as well?

The only example that I can find info on for individual DLC is CoD Ghosts, and according to Activision regarding the Playstation versions:

"DLC purchased on PlayStation 3 will transfer to PlayStation 4.
DLC purchased on PlayStation 4 will transfer to PlayStation 3."

Supposedly not affected by the Season Pass, which the Xbox version requires, though people on Forums have been having issues with this.

Don't worry Korny, you can buy that Xbone in confidence now.

Well, we've yet to receive word about Destiny, isn't that the point of this thread?

EDIT: Here's a quote from the COD Ghosts Season Pass site: Upgrading to a next-gen console? Purchase the Season Pass before May 31, 2014 and the content follows you FREE within a console family, so you can play now and upgrade later.

Need confirmation Destiny's season pass is like this or if it's the default way season passes work on next-gen.

It's clearly up to Publishers. Activision seems to be okay with a grace period, which is still a little more lenient on Playstation (not requiring season pass), but that may simply be related to how licensing works overall on MS platforms.

Nope

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 12:58 (3513 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Hello,

I see what you are saying and I would normally agree, given your Halo 3 example.

The difference here is that the DLC for 360 and for XB1 are NOT the same product. One is a DLC for 360, and the other is a DLC for XB1, which means that the product is a different one, the code is a different one, and they will probably end up charging for each one.

We have never, I believe, faced a gaming situation like this one. I think Microsoft and Bungie will pat themselves on the back for letting us take our character from one console to the other.

However, I think that will be the end of it. Also, remember that Bungie and Microsoft WANT PEOPLE TO GET NEW CONSOLES. If you keep letting people go back and forth to play with friends in the old system, you are encouraging people NOT to buy the new consoles.

Like I said, I would usually agree, but I sincerely believe they will make you buy each one for each console. Seems like the pro-business thing to do.

Nope

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, August 15, 2014, 13:12 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

Hello,

I see what you are saying and I would normally agree, given your Halo 3 example.

Like I said, it's been awhile since I've had to share content like that before, so things may have changed. But I do remember when DRM first started rearing its head and all the confusion it caused folks.

The difference here is that the DLC for 360 and for XB1 are NOT the same product. One is a DLC for 360, and the other is a DLC for XB1, which means that the product is a different one, the code is a different one, and they will probably end up charging for each one.

Right, that's what I said. If he buys the DLC for 360, it ain't following him to XB1, but he MIGHT be able to get the 360 DLC to work on two consoles at once. Maybe. Like I said above.

We have never, I believe, faced a gaming situation like this one. I think Microsoft and Bungie will pat themselves on the back for letting us take our character from one console to the other.

I can't speak to Sony, but I've got a lot of experience with how Microsoft handles its licensing in a corporate environment and the consumer side of that isn't really different. It's all tied to whatever account you use. Pretty simple.

EXCEPT, now we have the current gen of consoles to deal with and it's not exactly apples to apples (though it could be if they really wanted to.)

So yes, while it is nice that your CHARACTERS can follow you to the next gen, why the DLC doesn't is just money. It's an easy excuse for you to need to buy the same product again.

However, I think that will be the end of it. Also, remember that Bungie and Microsoft WANT PEOPLE TO GET NEW CONSOLES. If you keep letting people go back and forth to play with friends in the old system, you are encouraging people NOT to buy the new consoles.

True to some extent, however there is more money to be made if they can get people to buy it twice. I'm not sure where to point fingers (the devs, the publishers, the platforms)but to me, none of em are innocent.

Like I said, I would usually agree, but I sincerely believe they will make you buy each one for each console. Seems like the pro-business thing to do.

Yeah, that's what I said, except I don't think I said it very well I guess.The exception to this is the PS4 and possibly 360, if things have not changed.

Agree to Agree

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 13:14 (3513 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I think you and I are in complete agreement. For some reason I got something completely different from your posts. I'm starving and I need to go get some food. I hope I didn't step on your toes too much.

Peace bro.

Agree to Agree

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, August 15, 2014, 13:26 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

No you're fine.

Some times I don't words gud when I talk type. Formally.

Nope

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 15, 2014, 13:10 (3513 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Lil' Blue will have his own account. Can I load DLC on both Xboxes with my account? Will he be able to access it then if he's logged in on one and me on the other?

Nope

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, August 15, 2014, 13:25 (3513 days ago) @ bluerunner

Lil' Blue will have his own account. Can I load DLC on both Xboxes with my account? Will he be able to access it then if he's logged in on one and me on the other?

I don't think you can do it with one account, but you can get the content on both consoles. This is how it worked for me for half my Halo 3 DLC:

1.) I have two Xbox 360s. My profile is tied to ONE of the consoles. Here referred to as the primary console. The second console does not have my profile on it at this point.

2.) I buy and download the DLC to my primary console. THat DLC now lives on that console, it is tied to the console.

3.) I sign onto the 2nd console, and download my profile,and any of my past purchased DLC (Much like you've done at a LAN or friends house). I can only be signed into one console at a time.

4.) At this point, my DLC and profile exist on two consoles, however, *I*, Revenant, can only be signed into one console at a time.

4a.) On the first console, the primary, any one who signs in to that console can use my DLC. So Jackie could play anything installed to my HDD with her live account

4b.) On the second console, my DLC ONLY WORKS, if *I'm* signed in.

This is how my old roommate and I got by during Halo 3 and saved a few bucks.

**I do no know if it still works this way. It may not, so take it with a grain of salt. You should be able to test it though. Try another game on 360 that you downloaded DLC to and see if you can figure out which console your account is tied to. That's where your DLC is tied as well.

What I just described above is also similar to how it works *right now* on the PS4. Korny and Syndrome do this method with their games and DLC so they only buy it once. The trade off to this is that the content must be bought digital, if I'm not mistaken.

Dollar for Dollar, the family\couple that games together will save more money on a PS4 this way. The XB1 is not as friendly currently in this respect.

Ah, the question of double dipping

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, August 15, 2014, 18:21 (3513 days ago) @ bluerunner

Do these packs transfer between consoles? If I buy this for XB1, can I also access it on my 360? I'm going to be swapping back and forth to play with different people, so does that mean I have to buy it twice?

I wonder what kind of data is out there on double-dipping, and what kind of critical conclusions I could make about Microsoft and Sony because of it.

Heh...

by Claude Errera @, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:36 (3513 days ago) @ PackLeader89

Yet another Playstation perk:

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-Destiny+Expansion+Pass,28zu0

The expansion pass is $35 on Microsoft platforms... but only $34.99 on Playstation platforms. A penny saved, and all that!

;)

You are such a Troll.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, August 15, 2014, 10:05 (3513 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

And the hits just keep coming....

by yakaman, Friday, August 15, 2014, 17:37 (3513 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Just passing through, don't mind me...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 15, 2014, 20:02 (3513 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Heh...

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, August 15, 2014, 20:44 (3513 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yet another Playstation perk:

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-Destiny+Expansion+Pass,28zu0

The expansion pass is $35 on Microsoft platforms... but only $34.99 on Playstation platforms. A penny saved, and all that!

;)

That's exactly the sort of earth-shattering news you could post on a front page if you had one.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread