"Forging a new reality: Bungie on Destiny's art direction" (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 17:05 (3502 days ago)

Courtesy of Gamasutra

Nothing too big in it. This little tidbit I found to be interesting since exploration is my go to.

Also you're designing contiguous spaces. It's got exploration.

JS: Yup. You can go in as Level 5 and just walk around, go to town. You'd get destroyed, but one of the things that I'm really happy to say that we did... Say you saw this whole area that's just all Level 20s -- they're all Level 20s and you're just Level 5 -- we ensured that you can get by those guys if you're nimble and very quick, and look for some of the ninja routes to get by.

And when you do that, you can actually circumvent some of those guys and get to a whole 'nother area you never could have gotten to otherwise. We want to make sure you can get back through and have this challenge, but as a lower-level player you get to explore as much as possible.

"Forging a new reality: Bungie on Destiny's art direction"

by tadboz, Fort Collins, CO, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 18:35 (3501 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Haha, I did this once, toward the end of the beta. There's an area far to the north (northwest) in Old Russia, where you can follow a winding road out to that Shrieker thingamabob and a bunch of Hive, all level 20 or more. They could one-hit kill you, but it was fun to blow through on the Sparrow and check out what there was to see.

It's reckless and stupid, but the ability to do it is what counts, right?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 18:40 (3501 days ago) @ tadboz

The crashed Hive Ship behind the Shrieker links up to the underground Hive pit under the Strike, too (the room with the laser grid). Somehow ran through it without getting murdered. Surprisingly exhilirating, but also liked that it was an alternate route around Old Russia. If you survive, that is ^_^

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 08:26 (3501 days ago) @ tadboz

When exploring I went along that road once. I saw the hive, but didn't realize how powerful they were and just charged straight in! Unfortunately, that meant I charged right into one of their bullets and instantly died. I never did go back to try and bypass them. Did you find anything interesting back there?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 10:07 (3501 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

When exploring I went along that road once. I saw the hive, but didn't realize how powerful they were and just charged straight in! Unfortunately, that meant I charged right into one of their bullets and instantly died. I never did go back to try and bypass them. Did you find anything interesting back there?

An Entrance (or exit if you come from the laser gate side) to a cave with a Shrieker. In the cave you found it was filled with more invincible Hive, including an invincible Ogre that I hoped was guarding something. Spoilers: It was not.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 06:06 (3501 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I take issue with "The game switches seamlessly from mode to mode."

I know that's not a quote from Bungie, it's part of a question being asked by the interviewer, but are they just pretending going to Orbit isn't a thing?

Yeah that's pretty seamy.

by scarab @, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 11:50 (3501 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread