Destiny's RPG Elements

by option2401, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 08:58 (4047 days ago)

We know that Destiny is likely to feature a leveling system and equipable armor and weapons (re: iPhone screen from POoD vidoc). That, and the overall feel of the game, lends itself to featuring character progression elements. Plus, it may have been outright stated by Bungie and I just missed it. See, I've been very busy since the announcement, and haven't been able to give every shred of released info the exhaustive attention it deserves.

I've always loved RPGs, from single player (TES) to MMO (WoW/GW), and I think the fusion of character progression, single player, multi player, and Bungie's FPS formula is just the bee's knobbly knees. Has Bungie directly announced any RPG elements for Destiny? How about hinted? Are there any big fan theories on the subject?

And, most importantly, do you think they can pull it off?

Destiny's RPG Elements

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 09:01 (4047 days ago) @ option2401

Well, we know that there are multiple character classes. I'd say that qualifies as a traditional RPG element. Given their experimentation with Reach and the rest of what we know about the game, I'd say that improved weapons and equipment, as well as additional character abilities, are definitely in as rewards for gameplay.

Destiny's RPG Elements

by option2401, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 09:07 (4047 days ago) @ Leisandir

Do you think they'll do a more CoD-like system, where you unlock weapons or weapon classes as you level up? Or something more Dead Space-y, where you can build/improve your weapons to greater degrees of awesome as you progress through the levels? I remember reading somewhere that Destiny would feature unique weapons you could find out in the wilds. I'm pretty sure that would be a secondary "offensive progression" system, augmenting the primary method of improving your weaponry. Thought: what if they treated armor similarly, with unique sets waiting to be discovered?

I personally hope for some kind of equipment crafting system; that way, you could further tailor the gameplay to your own style.

Destiny's RPG Elements

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 10:54 (4047 days ago) @ option2401

I would rather not have a system similar to CoD. I don't want to look at a character's rifle and know what level he is. I'm kind of hoping that the equipment, both weapons and armor, are modular, so that your appearance is variable. Something more like Morrowind than Fallout: a cape that does this, a helm that does that, a scope that does the other.

Destiny's RPG Elements

by Hyokin, New York, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 18:34 (4046 days ago) @ option2401

I am not personally a fan of weapon customization, custom skins excluded because they're damn pretty, but I am interested to see how Bungie would handle it. I am all for character customization and progression, being a Dungeons & Dragons junkie.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread