"In Search of the Heart of Bungie" Polygon interview

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:47 (4062 days ago)

I loved reading the Polygon interview a few weeks back. The whole thing was excellent, but this may have been my favorite quote.

"We were going to make this online universe where people are going to be able to sit on their couch and play games with people from the other side of the world...It was going to be this great communal experience. Everybody was going to realize that we were all just one shared humanity, and look, there's gonna be an outbreak of world peace. What it actually turned into was a bunch of frat boys teabagging one another and calling each other names. So I think we can do a lot better."

I can already see a little bit of this in the way the ARG plays out. It forces people to cooperate and work together, and everyone has at least a little bit of weight to pull. Color me VERY EXCITED.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 10:51 (4062 days ago) @ Mr Daax

"What it actually turned into was a bunch of frat boys teabagging one another and calling each other names. So I think we can do a lot better."

When that interview came out, it made me wonder if Destiny was going to be built around co-op play; more PvE and less PvP, in MMO-speak.

-- Steve'd be okay with that, since Bungie's done such a good job with online co-op and Firefight in the past.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:05 (4062 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I've really enjoyed the PvE only Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I've played it more than Halo 4's war games recently.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:20 (4062 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

When that interview came out, it made me wonder if Destiny was going to be built around co-op play; more PvE and less PvP, in MMO-speak.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Like Ragashingo said, it's worked very well for ME3. Not that I'm saying the gameplay is likely to be the same, but just the general idea of not having it focused on PvP.

Imagine if we could get the newness, wonder, and mystery of Halo:CE campaign back, but in the modern internet-enabled world where we're all exploring that at the same time. Do want.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:29 (4062 days ago) @ stabbim

Like Ragashingo said, it's worked very well for ME3. Not that I'm saying the gameplay is likely to be the same, but just the general idea of not having it focused on PvP.

For all the N7 gaming I did last year, I'm surprised I didn't think of it that way myself but you're right; that multiplayer mode was (and is!) brilliant.

Imagine if we could get the newness, wonder, and mystery of Halo:CE campaign back, but in the modern internet-enabled world where we're all exploring that at the same time. Do want.

I'm wondering now if there's a way to blend solo, co-op, and multiplayer seamlessly... that'd be awesome.

-- Steve's eager to see the big reveal at the end of the ARG; next Monday, right?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:06 (4062 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I'm really hoping it's next Monday. Best. Birthday. Present. EVER.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:56 (4061 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I'm really hoping it's co-op based. Competitive multiplayer is already loaded with games, with what, Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Halo at the top? There's nothing wrong with refusing to compete with them and try to wedge a niche with something co-op; ME3 showed that.

Besides, Activision has got CoD raking in the MP dollars - time to lock up the co-op players too, eh?

by Chaos, Burlington, Vermont, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:10 (4062 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I would enjoy a non wave based PvE. My dream for Destiny is that there is WoW-esque raids with player groups and (perhaps?) some AI companions. Even if it the complete opposite of that dream you can color me excited.

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:40 (4061 days ago) @ Chaos

I agree. And if they focus the game around multi-player PvE, I think they'll have to make it less wave based to keep attention.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread