Creation of private forums

by MarineManiac, Friday, March 01, 2013, 16:13 (4073 days ago)

Hey all!

One thing I always loved about Bungie.net was the chance to create a private forum where you and your friends could gather and talk about more particular interests. I wanted to know if any such plans for private forums were underway for this Destiny website. If they aren't, do you all feel that this would be a good addition to consider? I would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, March 01, 2013, 16:26 (4073 days ago) @ MarineManiac

My sources say no. I don't think the audience here is large enough to warrant such an effort.

Aside from the fact that people get paid to run b.net, whereas Claude and us goons just get paid in glory. There are all kinds of technical and logistical considerations, as well.

~M

Wait, you got glory?!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, March 01, 2013, 17:01 (4073 days ago) @ Malagate

My sources say no. I don't think the audience here is large enough to warrant such an effort.

Aside from the fact that people get paid to run b.net, whereas Claude and us goons just get paid in glory. There are all kinds of technical and logistical considerations, as well.

~M

…I never get anything cool. Gosh!

I feel that a core aspect of the *.bungie.org websites is that they foster a sense of family and kinship among Bungie fans, as it were. Conversation and exchange of ideas are the lifeblood of this community. Therefore, creating private discussion groups where the only function is to to shunt discussion away from the main forum would reduce the value of visiting the site.

As Mal mentioned above, you really need a very large population to make the private groups effective without detracting from the conversation at large.

Sometimes it can be eye-opening to put ideas out to the larger community and then see what comes back, though, even if it might seem embarrassing at first. Often times people will have a different perspective that you may not have considered, but in the end their feedback can help refine or enhance the original idea! :)

by Flynn J Taggart, Friday, March 01, 2013, 16:48 (4073 days ago) @ MarineManiac

Hey all!

One thing I always loved about Bungie.net was the chance to create a private forum where you and your friends could gather and talk about more particular interests. I wanted to know if any such plans for private forums were underway for this Destiny website. If they aren't, do you all feel that this would be a good addition to consider? I would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

HBO eventually had some sub-forums, but they were for topics (or the old HBO-specific clan). The general idea here is that we're all part of the same community and thus no need to break it up, but I ain't running the show.

This ^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 01, 2013, 17:07 (4073 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

I don't think it fits with the all are welcome here vibe. (All non-jerks, that is.)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, March 01, 2013, 19:26 (4073 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

That, and a lot of us regulars from HBO have created groups on Facebook and Google+, and there's stuff like Customs Clan and TSD with forums. Hang around and get to know folks, and you'll find other good places to discuss Halo, Destiny, and other stuff.

Deebo Abbey

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, March 01, 2013, 17:01 (4073 days ago) @ MarineManiac

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread