Explain to me why this isn;t open (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:17 (3487 days ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hwpMMBt2TI

It's modeled. In game. Populated with enemies. Why was this not utilized? Someone from Bungie explain this. Why do we have to pay later for the privilege of accessing what's already in our game data? No really. Explain it. Seriously. Not kidding. Let me hear your side of the story. I'm open to there being some good reason.

wouldn't this technically be against forum rules?

by Webshift1, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:37 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

that is if it's actually from the DLC we haven't seen yet.

Probably not.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:52 (3487 days ago) @ Webshift1

Stuff in game data is usually fair game, and it's definitely fair game if it's been acknowledged by DeeJ.

And showing off in-game areas that you aren't supposed to be able to get to is not only fair game, but a respected community pastime.

Explain to me why this isn;t open

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:48 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's modeled. In game. Populated with enemies. Why was this not utilized? Someone from Bungie explain this. Why do we have to pay later for the privilege of accessing what's already in our game data? No really. Explain it. Seriously. Not kidding. Let me hear your side of the story. I'm open to there being some good reason.

I've got a really simple explanation for you: who says that's the end of the area? Just because part of DLC is modeled, doesn't mean all of it connected to that area is modeled.

The other part of this discussion I always disagree with is, who cares if it's done before the game comes out? Who cares if they put it in the game data? Think about it logically: if the content wasn't in the game data at all, no one would be complaining about it (obviously), and from what most people say on here they agree that the content included in the game is worth $60. So they come out with the DLC and add in the content later, where it doesn't exist at all right now, yay, we got more gameplay and more content! What is the difference between that and them putting it in the game data already? Not on a reactionary kneejerk reaction way, but in a realistic, logical way. Does the inclusion of SOME of the data they are going to use in DLC somehow make the game that you admit is worth $60 somehow worth less? Of course not! In fact it even saves Bungie and us time downloading content for the future content.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:59 (3487 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 15:04

I've got a really simple explanation for you: who says that's the end of the area? Just because part of DLC is modeled, doesn't mean all of it connected to that area is modeled.

The other part of this discussion I always disagree with is, who cares if it's done before the game comes out? Who cares if they put it in the game data?

A lot of people. I mean, obviously.

Think about it logically: if the content wasn't in the game data at all, no one would be complaining about it (obviously), and from what most people say on here they agree that the content included in the game is worth $60.

I don't know that I've seen anyone come out say it's not worth the money, but usually no one asks, and tons of people think it's less worthwhile than it should have been. As for not complaining if it wasn't there, what's your point? If problem A didn't exist, complaint A wouldn't exist, that's a given. I will add to that, though, that even if it wasn't accessible, and in fact even if it wasn't on the disk (which I'm not sure this even is), knowing that they finished it before release would have almost exactly the same reaction (not being accessible would make people slightly more forgiving, and not having it on the disk would make them slightly more forgiving than that).

So they come out with the DLC and add in the content later, where it doesn't exist at all right now, yay, we got more gameplay and more content! What is the difference between that and them putting it in the game data already? Not on a reactionary kneejerk reaction way, but in a realistic, logical way.

The difference is in making a conscious decision to cut out the playable content into chunks, sell the bigger chunk at full price, and sell the smaller chunk(s) later at a still fairly high price, when there presumably would've been negligible barriers to providing all of the content at one full game price in the first place.

Does the inclusion of SOME of the data they are going to use in DLC somehow make the game that you admit is worth $60 somehow worth less? Of course not!

It makes it feel like it's worth less. Also, if you can access it without the DLC, it makes the DLC worth less, and it brings up the question of charging extra for it.

In fact it even saves Bungie and us time downloading content for the future content.

Seriously, saving time is your argument for it?

I suspect this is an incomplete version that's undergoing testing and/or was impractical to completely remove, but I would also really like to know why it's there, and if it's tied to any DLC or will be available free (I have no expectations Bungie or anyone else will be that giving, but I have hope).

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 15:06 (3487 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The difference is in making a conscious decision to cut out the playable content into chunks, sell the bigger chunk at full price, and sell the smaller chunk(s) later at a still fairly high price, when there presumably would've been negligible barriers to providing all of the content at one full game price in the first place.

This is a complaint about DLC though, NOT a complaint about including it in the game data.

Even movies start working on sequels before they finish the previous movie. The last two Matrix movies were worked on simultaneously and the Lord of the Rings movies were worked on at the same time, this does not somehow make your viewing experience less worth it. I would understand if you played Destiny and said "That content was NOT worth $60." and were upset that the additional content would cost you more money. However, if you think it was completely worth your $60, then it doesn't matter when the additional content was worked on or even if they already completed it. They are a business, they have to split the content somewhere to ensure they make enough money off of the content. They aren't just going to include additional content (that most likely is outside the budget for the first game) just because it's complete or near complete when they finish with the planned content for Destiny 1.

I also don't see how saving time isn't a valid argument, if they have models done it saves you and them time and them money to include it on disc. A smaller download size for a DLC package is absolutely a valid reason to include the finished assets on disc.

Also:

The other part of this discussion I always disagree with is, who cares if it's done before the game comes out? Who cares if they put it in the game data?

A lot of people. I mean, obviously.

It's a figure of speech. I mean, obviously.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 15:41 (3487 days ago) @ Xenos

This is a complaint about DLC though, NOT a complaint about including it in the game data.

Correct. IF this shows up in the DLC missions, and IF it's not substantially bigger of an area, THEN Bungie has some 'splaining to do. If it's just an area that was cut and we never go to, it's all fine and dandy.

If only the size of spaces defined "completeness"

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 03, 2014, 02:26 (3486 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Correct. IF this shows up in the DLC missions, and IF it's not substantially bigger of an area, THEN Bungie has some 'splaining to do. If it's just an area that was cut and we never go to, it's all fine and dandy.

Tons of scripting, testing, and tuning goes into each of these spaces. It's like looking over the wall at an amusement park and asking why you can't ride that rollercoaster yet because you see that there's a path to it and from what you can tell, the car goes on it just fine.

Personally I'll wait for them to say it's ready, and then it'll be ready for me.

I have no issues with this and find most of these arguments insultingly reductive of the massive amount of effort it takes to make a game.

If only the size of spaces defined "completeness"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 03, 2014, 08:00 (3486 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Tons of scripting, testing, and tuning goes into each of these spaces. It's like looking over the wall at an amusement park and asking why you can't ride that rollercoaster yet because you see that there's a path to it and from what you can tell, the car goes on it just fine.

Given that all of the events so far have been recycled shit, I was hoping that their updates to the game would give us this new stuff. Scripting and placing guys in the space is much less work than building the space to begin with.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:14 (3487 days ago) @ Xenos

I think it's worth pointing out, in case anyone's not following, that in all of this you're making an assumption that the DLC is not actually done yet. You may be right, or you may not.

I will say this: I also think it's worth pointing out that you don't know that the DLC is not finished any more than Cody knows that it is. There are plenty of previous examples of games where some later-released DLC was in fact present in the initial release, and all the DLC download did was unlock it. It's become very common practice and I'd be surprised if you hadn't heard of it already. We don't know yet whether that's what's happening with Destiny, but it's not unheard of.

Now, it is of course up to the developer and/or publisher to decide how much of their work to sell for the base price, and how much of their work is worth a separate charge (in their eyes, anyway). It's just that from the consumer's perspective, being charged more for something and told that it's "new," when we can plainly see that it isn't new... stinks a bit. The internet will always find something to complain about, but I wonder if those scenarios would go over better if they were up front about it, and instead of pretending it's new content (only in cases where it isn't, of course - plenty of DLCs are genuinely done after the initial release), just give consumers the for-adults version and explain that they feel it's an additional body of work regardless of when it was completed. Gamers aren't all children anymore, and sometimes we just want the facts up front without all the PR crap.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:17 (3487 days ago) @ stabbim

I think it's worth pointing out, in case anyone's not following, that in all of this you're making an assumption that the DLC is not actually done yet. You may be right, or you may not.

The only way he's not right is if DeeJ is outright lying to us.

Since I have no evidence that anyone from Bungie has actually outright lied to the community at any point since November 1994 (when we were told that Marathon was waiting on the boxes), I will go with 'he's right'.

You can choose to disagree, of course.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:20 (3487 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ah. Hadn't read that yet.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:44 (3487 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:48

Since I have no evidence that anyone from Bungie has actually outright lied to the community at any point since November 1994 (when we were told that Marathon was waiting on the boxes), I will go with 'he's right'.

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=30911

They lied about being able to go to saturn. (Also LOL at "This game is anticipated to be rated mature")

That might be because of the game revamp since 2013, but if that's true and Activision pressured them, then they lied about having total creative control.

It's probably happened a few times, but I don't really care about that. All I care about is that most of the game is bad.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:46 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They lied about being able to go to saturn.

Heh, I was wondering why you were taking so long.

In their defense, DLCs aren't out yet.

That's different, and you know it

by Earendil, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 17:00 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is a difference between being wrong about what will happen in the future, and what exists right now.

If I tell you "I'm going to the store tomorrow", and don't end up going, that doesn't mean that when I spoke I was lying.
If I tell you "I didn't go to the store yesterday", then I am making a statement that is either true or false AND I know what the answer is AND nothing anyone can do will change that fact.

Also, no where did Bungie promise that on day one all planets ever mentioned would be accessible. What Bungie did say was that they'd be working on and adding to the Destiny universe for 10 years. I really don't understand why people have their panties in a wad over this sort of stuff. It's like not getting to see the Dragon in the first movie for the Hobbit. Just. Hold. On.

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 17:10 (3487 days ago) @ Earendil

It's not unreasonable to be upset after paying money for a game and then seeing that there is additional content in your game that you paid for, that you currently cannot access unless you pay more money.

I, personally, would not feel so negative about areas like King's Watch and the Jovian Complex that are locked to us if the game wasn't absolutely packed with other areas that feel unfinished or empty, like the Hunter tavern in the Tower, or the discarded rocket yard on the Moon near the big round colony building.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, October 03, 2014, 16:14 (3486 days ago) @ Earendil

There is a difference between being wrong about what will happen in the future, and what exists right now.

If I tell you "I'm going to the store tomorrow", and don't end up going, that doesn't mean that when I spoke I was lying.
If I tell you "I didn't go to the store yesterday", then I am making a statement that is either true or false AND I know what the answer is AND nothing anyone can do will change that fact.

Also, no where did Bungie promise that on day one all planets ever mentioned would be accessible. What Bungie did say was that they'd be working on and adding to the Destiny universe for 10 years. I really don't understand why people have their panties in a wad over this sort of stuff. It's like not getting to see the Dragon in the first movie for the Hobbit. Just. Hold. On.

That's not why it's different. Saying you'll do something and not doing it for several years is disingenuous. The reasonable assumption is that the stuff they talked about pre-release all related to the first released game, because why would they talk about later stuff when they hadn't even put out the first game yet? I mean broad, long-term plans, maybe, but anything beyond that would be spoilery.
It is different (and Cody even admitted this at one point so I don't know why he's still harping on it) because it sounded like an off-hand comment, it sounded like someone rattling off locations without a ton of concern for accuracy, and Saturn wasn't the driving point of the statement it was in. The fact it was in a video that was presumably checked by multiple people before being released lessens that factor, though, as does Bungie mentioning Saturn and Mercury at other points.

by Injunfett, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 19:09 (3486 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It could also be that it they are telling the truth and it's really not finished. I know that most of the time DLC starts getting built before the game actually ships and a lot of the time the first DLC's assets are normally on the disc now days. However for example in my experience these things like maps lack polish and are not actually complete and most of the time have no had proper testing done yet.

All of which takes time they really don't have till after the game goes gold. Doing it this way saves cost for the studio and minimizes down time and increasing production.

Bungie has made big claims about supporting this game and expanding it over time so I expect a very aggressive DLC plan so I expect this is more than likely they case I hope it is the case.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 21:17 (3486 days ago) @ Cody Miller

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=30911

They lied about being able to go to saturn. (Also LOL at "This game is anticipated to be rated mature")

That might be because of the game revamp since 2013, but if that's true and Activision pressured them, then they lied about having total creative control.

It's probably happened a few times, but I don't really care about that. All I care about is that most of the game is bad.

1. In a game that's said to have a ten year plan, where the developer has said they plan to keep adding features and content instead of permanently cutting stuff like they had to do with their past games, and who has said that other fan anticipated locations (specifically Old Chicago) might one day make an appearance, isn't it a bit early to call people liars?

What about the tower dialogue from the gunsmith who says he once did a combat drop on Titan, one of Saturn's moons? What about Xur who comes from the outer solar system? What about the Grimoire card that specifically says that Saturn and Titan might be reachable by a Guardian with a larger support ship and the right navigation data? Might it be that Bungie is leading up to something and you, with your default worst case scenario position, are calling them out far too early?

2. Most of the game is certainly not bad.

by Decom @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 18:43 (3487 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Since I have no evidence that anyone from Bungie has actually outright lied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTfhrONAp-c#t=140

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 20:37 (3486 days ago) @ Decom

Since I have no evidence that anyone from Bungie has actually outright lied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTfhrONAp-c#t=140

That's not a lie - it was absolutely true then.

Don't make a girl a promise if you know you can't keep it

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Friday, October 03, 2014, 06:59 (3486 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 15:08 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have a simple explanation.

It's still incomplete.

Although that the content is loadable, there's no actual story content in there. Why should it be open at all if it doesn't actually serve a purpose yet?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:18 (3487 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I have a simple explanation.

It's still incomplete.

Although that the content is loadable, there's no actual story content in there. Why should it be open at all if it doesn't actually serve a purpose yet?

Maybe. The fact that you don't see anything happen (I'm assuming here, I haven't watched it and won't for fear of spoilers) doesn't mean there's no data. Lots of events - audio clips, cutscenes, etc., need triggers to make them play out. You might not see anything because the player hasn't picked up a relevant quest, or hasn't traveled through the right trigger area, and so on. There were good examples of this in the Halo games, when you'd skip certain areas the enemies in the rest of the level wouldn't load.

by Monochron, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:35 (3486 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

"I don't even have time to explain why Bungie don't have time to put story content into the game . . ."

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 15:18 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why was this not utilized?

What, like why did they not spend time and effort building it into some playable space that differs from what it will ultimately become?

When you've got unfinished material in software development, the usual alternative to "make it inaccessible" isn't "utilize it somehow," it's "mask it from the current build."

Game Development.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:28 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If only you knew what DIDN'T get in the shipped version.

That said - I don't know either, but I do know that video-game creation isn't an easy line. There are bumps in the road and things get prioritized. Worse of all - most (or so it seems to me) who play video-games are hopelessly ignorant to this, and take all content for granted. For this area to be in game but not open probably means that there is a bigger purpose for it then "run around and shoot" and there are elements here that aren't ready for prime time.

Why not just leave it out then till it is ready? - You no doubt are asking. I don't know. I blame Game Development, if only because its more likely to be true then false.

by Earendil, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:55 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's modeled. In game. Populated with enemies. Why was this not utilized?

That is interesting. Of course, there are a few complaints about the quality of Destiny, most of it stemming from how the majority of the game is simply "modeled and populated with enemies", but lacking sophistication, story, triggers, events worth mentioning, dialog, etc etc.

But let me throw out some other reasons:
1. It's not tested.
2. It's buggy (anything from textures to the AI screwing up in that environment)
3. It's unfinished
3a) It's modeled but not fully architected
3b) it's modeled but not fully textured
3c) it's modeled but environment objects are't fully built/placed
3d) it's modeled but it's not actually modeled yet, what's there is a stub so that the testers could test boss AI.

4. Different groups get done at different times, or have spare cycles to create at different times. I don't know how segmented and specialized the teams at Bungie are, I only know something about how software is built, and I know I met two guys the other day that worked on Halo 4 as "Environment Architects". I also know there is a team a Bungie that just does the sky boxes. Because these things are not entirely built by one dude, it could be that one or two teams took a pass at that room, while the other 6 never had the time. It could be that the 3D Architects were done faster than everyone else, and started modeling DLC content in their spare time.

Additionally, what we're seeing is not uncommon in software. A Lots of software is shipped with certain unfinished features "disabled". Last minute bugs or lack of good quality testing means that little switches are flipped and the end user never sees the content. Games are a little different because of the "ways" to bypass lockout from certain areas. If I don't want you to see a new piece of UI I'm working on, I make the only button that opens that window invisible. Done. Nothing you can do. As is seen in the youtube video, you can't really make a single button invisible and make a section of a 3D world inaccessible.

Someone from Bungie explain this. Why do we have to pay later for the privilege of accessing what's already in our game data?

Whoops, I'm not a Bungie employee. So... yeah. Here is your grain of salt :)

Why you? Why now?

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 17:16 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Avateur @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 17:51 (3487 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lots of talk and optimism about DLC and trusting Bungie and such, but it's beyond clear that the game we were marketed isn't the game we were sold. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the game I was sold, but it makes me extremely less likely to want to drop money on their expansions and content because it already can't be trusted.

If this is on-disc content, even if in the process of being updated, I wonder if they're going to try selling me content that I already purchased just by buying the game. Will purchasing an expansion actually truly unlock new places and things, or are they all hidden away all over this game waiting for people to break in? Will buying the expansion simply just unlock this content that I actually had already paid for and has been sitting behind a wall while they continue to polish it up?

And, assuming that Fallen guy is some sort of boss (yes, I'm aware I don't know if it's just one big strong bad guy since we have no context to that whole mission), do I really want to drop money on an expansion to continue to literally fight the same "shoot them in the head" bad guys for literally no story gain or game progression?

I'm thinking they may want to add a good few maps of Crucible, and I hope the Raid comes up with new insane and unique ideas that don't immediately copy the previous Raid, because right now all of these questions and that video you just linked only help to reinforce my being less willing to purchase an expansion for this game at this point.

Now if this is something else entirely, like maybe some assets that got cut and some things remained on disc, and the expansion itself will directly add to it, complete the area, and provide new challenges (aka, that thing is not the end-boss), then I suppose that's fine since they didn't just have me pay for on-disc content that I already bought when I bought the disc itself. I'm going to have to wait and see. Aka, I think this video makes it so that I cannot buy this expansion content until others have bought it, played it, and confirmed or rejected my fears.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 20:22 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

What, you don't want to pay $20 to get back on the tread mill? ;).

I wish I was in your shoes Avateur, I am both aware of the fact that the game I got is not the game I was marketed AND I find it aggressively boring (to steal Yahtzee's turn of phrase).

If I was still having fun with it I could live with the marketing (probably should never trust marketing anyway).

by Avateur @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 21:21 (3486 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Believe it or not, I don't really care about what was marketed vs. what I got. At the same time, it's informed me enough to be very, very cautious on future DLC and expansion content. I'm also having fun playing this game, but I'm not going to shell out more if I already have that content ready and able to be unlocked to me on the disc if not for the potential of more money. Obviously I don't know all the facts, so I'll be watching and waiting to see what others show and say once the expansion comes out and it's bought/played.

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 21:32 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

Believe it or not, I don't really care about what was marketed vs. what I got.

Really? See that bugs me, even though I'm fairly sure the game Bungie marketed was the game they wanted to make and for whatever reason did not coalesce as they desired.

by Avateur @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 21:37 (3486 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Believe it or not, I don't really care about what was marketed vs. what I got.

Really? See that bugs me, even though I'm fairly sure the game Bungie marketed was the game they wanted to make and for whatever reason did not coalesce as they desired.

I've been really excited about Destiny but really skeptical about how every time they showed something new as we got closer to launch, they only showed things that it seemed like we already saw. The Beta was highly flawed. And frankly, nothing Bungie did would have decided my console purchase or whether or not I'd buy the game. My console purchase was made entirely 100% based on non-Bungie/Destiny factors, and I already knew that I'd be buying Destiny no matter what. As for future Destiny content, it's not going to be quite that simple.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 20:40 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

If this is on-disc content, even if in the process of being updated, I wonder if they're going to try selling me content that I already purchased just by buying the game. Will purchasing an expansion actually truly unlock new places and things, or are they all hidden away all over this game waiting for people to break in? Will buying the expansion simply just unlock this content that I actually had already paid for and has been sitting behind a wall while they continue to polish it up?

Every General Motors car sold in America has OnStar built into it. You might get some free time with it from your dealer, but in general, you have to pay for the service if you want to actually USE it.

Are you making the argument that General Motors is ripping you off by selling you a car with this capability built into it, but STILL making you pay for it if you want to USE it?

by Avateur @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 21:17 (3486 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So the separate service that's in your car that you must continue to pay a fee for in order to continue using is somehow similar to this?

How about this. You bought your car and the car can go a top speed of 80mph (don't ask me why). Unfortunately for you, this car you bought will only go 60mph unless you're willing to shell out more to access the rest of your engine.

I bought Destiny. I'm not going to pay to unlock the Destiny that's inside of the Destiny I bought so I can play my Destiny.

If they want me to pay for the Raid and other things that are an additional service in areas that may have already been completed but are otherwise unused and unpopulated (OnStar), then sure, I'll pay for that service. I won't pay more to play the game that I already paid for and is being shown as operational and accessible in some form or another.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 21:36 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

I won't pay more to play the game that I already paid for and is being shown as operational and accessible in some form or another.

If they had masked their WIP content from the release build, rather than just close it off, would that make this okay?

by Avateur @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 21:41 (3486 days ago) @ uberfoop

If they had masked their WIP content from the release build, rather than just close it off, would that make this okay?

If it's all available on-disc, no. I purchased the game. Expansions expand the game with new content. I'll pay for expansions for new content that I didn't already pay for when I bought the game.

Skip car examples. When you buy new shoes, do you have to pay for the laces and insoles in order to have them included? Nope.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 22:08 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

If it's all available on-disc, no.

"Masked from the build" meaning they just turn the content off when they make their release build, so that it doesn't exist in release copies until they patch it in with the DLC, even though it was in the same stage of development at the same points in time.

Explain to me why this isn't open

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 22:15 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

If it's all available on-disc, no. I purchased the game. Expansions expand the game with new content. I'll pay for expansions for new content that I didn't already pay for when I bought the game.

Skip car examples. When you buy new shoes, do you have to pay for the laces and insoles in order to have them included? Nope.

The difference is with software you are buying a license to use said software, you're not actually buying the physical disc, that's just the device they use to get the software to your computer (of any kind). If they said ahead of time "Here are all of the activities and locations that come included with Destiny" and then you found out that some of those activities (which are included on the disc) cost an additional fee, that's dishonest and appalling.

Those assets that people have seen are not what you're buying, you are buying Destiny 1, with 4 explorable regions, story missions, strikes, and Crucible with 10 maps built in. If the content is unlocked later how does that change what you KNEW you were getting? Say three Crucible maps are on the disc right now that we aren't able to play because they come in the next DLC. Bungie didn't advertise 13 maps, they advertised 10. What difference would it make if the maps were already completed and NOT on the disc? None. The disc literally means nothing aside from what you are promised will be there and what is given to you based on those promises.

The problem I always see with this argument is it seems to come down to "Well if they completed it already and can put it on the disc why shouldn't I get it for free?" Because it still cost them additional money to make! If you are unhappy with what you got for the purchase price, then I can understand why you'd be upset paying extra for content that feels like it should have been included, but having assets (to whatever extent) on the disc literally makes no difference in the promises that Bungie made.

One more small note.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 22:27 (3486 days ago) @ Xenos

All this aside, I do completely agree with something stabbim said above which is I think if they're going to do stuff like that it's better to be transparent about it. Personally I believe DeeJ and don't think that the content that these people are accessing is done yet. I will get upset if it is now, mostly because they said otherwise.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 22:29 (3486 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by UnrealCh13f, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 22:35

The difference is with software you are buying a license to use said software, you're not actually buying the physical disc, that's just the device they use to get the software to your computer (of any kind). If they said ahead of time "Here are all of the activities and locations that come included with Destiny" and then you found out that some of those activities (which are included on the disc) cost an additional fee, that's dishonest and appalling.

I don't know about that. Buying the physical disk is a different scenario than buying the digital version of a game (which, in XBL's case, is a license that can be revoked on ban). See the Xbox One DRM fiasco of 2013.

Slight edit: I do realize that you said software, and that license argument pretty much applies to all software, ever. Unfortunately, from what I have seen in the past year is that people view games on disk as a physical product more than just software. It's a bit annoying, but that's the mentality these days.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 22:36 (3486 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I don't know about that. Buying the physical disk is a different scenario than buying the digital version of a game (which, in XBL's case, is a license that can be revoked on ban). See the Xbox One DRM fiasco of 2013.

Yeah they are two different licenses, but you're still buying a license to the game. That's why they can have terms of use for software. You don't buy a physical product with terms of use, because you can use the product in any way that you want, and the company you bought it from can't do anything about it. However even with a phyiscal disc copy of an Xbox game you can get in varying amounts of trouble for breaking the terms of use (for example copying the disc and giving it to someone else, even for free).

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 03, 2014, 16:06 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

I never got a chance to get back here last night, and RC has pretty much made any argument I would have made, so I'll leave this part alone.

I just bought two new toilets for our remodel.

They don't come with seats.

I was flabbergasted, because what the hell use is a toilet without a seat?

But apparently, that's standard.

You can whine about it, but it's how the industry works.

And as RC said very well, you didn't pay for that partially-complete content on your disc that may or may not evolve into a DLC expansion.

by Avateur @, Friday, October 03, 2014, 16:15 (3486 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I didn't bother replying to RC because it was a brilliant argument for microtransactions and a F2P model to become the standard in the future. Sounds like a really horrible plan, but if that's how we're going to start justifying things, well oh well. #codywasright(or something).

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 03, 2014, 16:24 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

Cody wasn't even CLOSE to right (at least, not as far as I'm concerned).

Game's still enjoyable. I suppose the day might come when it's not. And maybe Cody will be there to say "see? I told you you'd get tired of it." And I'll say "Cody, it outlasted you by YEARS."

(That's not true. In real life, Cody's not NEARLY as annoying as he can be here. :) )

by Avateur @, Friday, October 03, 2014, 16:30 (3486 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Game's still enjoyable. I suppose the day might come when it's not. And maybe Cody will be there to say "see? I told you you'd get tired of it." And I'll say "Cody, it outlasted you by YEARS."

It is really enjoyable. Also, you'll be saying Cody Was Right a lot once you get to the Raid. It's freaking awesome. I'm almost all the way through it, I think. Not sure. Still spoiler free!

(That's not true. In real life, Cody's not NEARLY as annoying as he can be here. :) )

Lol these things happen. Neither am I, but hey. :P

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 03, 2014, 16:36 (3486 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Cody wasn't even CLOSE to right (at least, not as far as I'm concerned).

Game's still enjoyable.

It is for me too. So long as I play Crucible or the raid on Hard Mode. Soon it will just be the crucible, but hopefully by then I'll have another raid to play :-)

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 03, 2014, 06:53 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

How about this. You bought your car and the car can go a top speed of 80mph (don't ask me why). Unfortunately for you, this car you bought will only go 60mph unless you're willing to shell out more to access the rest of your engine.

This is an actual thing that exists.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:50 (3486 days ago) @ RC

This is an actual thing that exists.

I had a Chevy truck with an aftermarket 4.11 geared rear end. It also had an aftermarket chip to account for the gearing for the speedometer. I took it in to a dealership to fix the transmission after I wore it out drag racing with some buddies.

For whatever reason the shop over wrote my chip when they fixed my transmission. The default program was for a 3.73 geared rear end. That meant my speedometer read way faster than I was actually going. Plus it put the governor back on. I nearly got run over on the interstate when I left the shop. I gave them an earful, but they couldn't fix it. I had to go buy another chip.

So, yeah, I've had to do exactly what Avateur said. But that's totally different than having part of a DLC package on the disc.

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:03 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

If this is on-disc content, even if in the process of being updated, I wonder if they're going to try selling me content that I already purchased just by buying the game.

Statements like this make me really angry.

You're not owed access to everything that's on that disc. You bought a copy to run it on your console the way it's meant to run. That was the bargain.

The disc and the case itself is your property, you can do what you like with it: sell it, lend it to a friend, smash it to tiny pieces. But the data on it is not yours. Never was. Never will be.

Games are not other media like books or movies. There are dozens of barriers and walls of all sorts of kinds blocking access to different stuff in the games. You're not owed access to every Exotic weapon, and you're not owed access to every room of geometry.

Sometimes, yes, one of the barriers developers can and do put up is the paywall.

Was this was new and weird and scary early on in the 360/PS3 generation? Absolutely. But it's been years already. But the DLC revolution happened. The Microtransaction happened. The Smart Phone revolution has happened. The AppStore happened. In-app purchases happened. People should have gotten used to it by now. Software is not like other media. Games are not like other media.

It is not down to Bungie to itemise every single asset that ended up on the disc and say how you can access each piece or why it's there; that's not the experience they're selling. Nobody sells that.

Oh no: the evil Bungie Corporation is using foresight and planning to make the expansion content fit seamlessly with the rest of the game and (probably) reduce download sizes later on so paying customers can get to it quicker without impacting the experience they already sold to everyone else.

Extra stuff on the disc does not diminish what they already sold to you. In fact in this case, you can even get in there and play it anyway for no additional cost! BONUS!

If you didn't think you were going to get your money's worth, you shouldn't have bought it. If you don't think you GOT your money's worth, then sell it or don't buy the expansions.

This is NOT going to change by bitching on a forum about it.

TL/DR: It's stand practice. You weren't screwed over. Get used to it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 03, 2014, 16:22 (3486 days ago) @ RC

Oh no: the evil Bungie Corporation is using foresight and planning to make the expansion content fit seamlessly with the rest of the game and (probably) reduce download sizes later on so paying customers can get to it quicker without impacting the experience they already sold to everyone else.

But it won't fit seamlessly. It will be a piecemealed mess like all DLC, because that's the nature of DLC. Even highly regarded DLC like Ellie's side story in Last of Us would have been better woven into the game.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 03, 2014, 16:32 (3486 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But it won't fit seamlessly. It will be a piecemealed mess like all DLC, because that's the nature of DLC. Even highly regarded DLC like Ellie's side story in Last of Us would have been better woven into the game.

I strongly disagree.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, October 03, 2014, 17:28 (3486 days ago) @ RC
edited by General Vagueness, Friday, October 03, 2014, 17:39

If this is on-disc content, even if in the process of being updated, I wonder if they're going to try selling me content that I already purchased just by buying the game.

Statements like this make me really angry.

You're not owed access to everything that's on that disc. You bought a copy to run it on your console the way it's meant to run. That was the bargain.

He didn't say he was owed that, he just said he didn't like this arrangement, and he didn't even go that far in the post you replied to. Statements that lump together other statements just because they were made by people that kind of agree make me upset and disappointed.

The disc and the case itself is your property, you can do what you like with it: sell it, lend it to a friend, smash it to tiny pieces. But the data on it is not yours. Never was. Never will be.

It was until now. Destiny is the first game I can remember playing that had a EULA. That said, it does have one, and everyone that's played it agreed to it.

Games are not other media like books or movies.

There are dozens of barriers and walls of all sorts of kinds blocking access to different stuff in the games. You're not owed access to every Exotic weapon, and you're not owed access to every room of geometry.

Sometimes, yes, one of the barriers developers can and do put up is the paywall.

Was this was new and weird and scary early on in the 360/PS3 generation? Absolutely. But it's been years already. But the DLC revolution happened. The Microtransaction happened. The Smart Phone revolution has happened. The AppStore happened. In-app purchases happened. People should have gotten used to it by now. Software is not like other media. Games are not like other media.

The thing about that is, other than bug fixes, I have yet to see a compelling reason why software in general and games in particular shouldn't be like all other media.

It is not down to Bungie to itemise every single asset that ended up on the disc and say how you can access each piece or why it's there; that's not the experience they're selling. Nobody sells that.

Extra stuff on the disc does not diminish what they already sold to you. In fact in this case, you can even get in there and play it anyway for no additional cost! BONUS!

Let's be real here, we're not intended to get in there. Also it does diminish what they sold to you, strictly speaking-- you got all of it, but they only actually sold you part of it.

If you didn't think you were going to get your money's worth, you shouldn't have bought it. If you don't think you GOT your money's worth, then sell it or don't buy the expansions.

This is NOT going to change by bitching on a forum about it.

TL/DR: It's stand practice. You weren't screwed over. Get used to it.

The thing is, sales numbers only tell you so much. Realistically, you have to do research to know why they're down, and seeing what people are talking about is easier, quicker, and more organic or natural than going out and doing interviews and surveys. Of course, people could just e-mail Bungie, but I almost never see that mentioned in arguments like this, the points made are all about not having it wherever the people that don't like it are at (e.g. "bitching on a forum" or complaining on the current site or in this part of the site) or not making complaints at all (e.g. "You weren't screwed over. Get used to it.").

by Monochron, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:51 (3486 days ago) @ Avateur

Lots of talk and optimism about DLC and trusting Bungie and such, but it's beyond clear that the game we were marketed isn't the game we were sold. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the game I was sold, but it makes me extremely less likely to want to drop money on their expansions and content because it already can't be trusted.

This is a great summation of how I'm feeling too. Destiny is still a ton of fun for me, but is disappointing in some ways. Most importantly though, whatever Bungie advertises The Darkness Below as, I'm not going to trust that that's what they will deliver. The only piece of hard evidence supports their inability to deliver.

They can certainly convince me otherwise though, I'll just need more evidence :)

Think this will be meintioned in todays Weekly Update?

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:57 (3486 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

pretty sure I've already fought this guy....

by Jabberwok, Friday, October 03, 2014, 15:05 (3486 days ago) @ Cody Miller

...in a couple of different missions and strikes. Different name, different area, but looks like the same basic fight from what I can see. If this is DLC, hopefully there is a lot more to it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread