Mobile Phone OS support in Destiny

by SPQR Praetor, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 07:42 (4039 days ago)

I just had an interesting thought about the difficult task Bungie faces in regard to their stated goal of mobile integration inside Destiny. In the ViDoc, they showed several scenes of their (simulated) mobile application although they were all shown running on iOS soft and hardware. That got me thinking; How many OSs will they code for? Does the video imply some type of exclusive deal? What about non-US markets where different phones and providers are in the majority?

I'd love to know what the community thinks.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 07:55 (4039 days ago) @ SPQR Praetor

I just had an interesting thought about the difficult task Bungie faces in regard to their stated goal of mobile integration inside Destiny. In the ViDoc, they showed several scenes of their (simulated) mobile application although they were all shown running on iOS soft and hardware. That got me thinking; How many OSs will they code for? Does the video imply some type of exclusive deal? What about non-US markets where different phones and providers are in the majority?

I'd love to know what the community thinks.

When they were first developing the Bungie.net app, all screenshots we got were iOS.

You can download the app for iOS and Android now.

I think there's zero implication about an exclusive deal.

by SPQR Praetor, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 08:12 (4039 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Was there a lag time between the two or do they simply prefer to use iOS for demos? Are iOS and Android the only systems they support?

by sorahn ⌂, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 08:33 (4039 days ago) @ SPQR Praetor

Was there a lag time between the two or do they simply prefer to use iOS for demos? Are iOS and Android the only systems they support?

It is very possible that they will provide some kind of mobile HTML5 experience for anyone that isn't on a "primary" mobile platform. Similar to what Facebook and Twitter have.

by SPQR Praetor, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 09:05 (4039 days ago) @ sorahn

I would be quite happy with this. I can't imagine what the bill for Destiny must look like.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 09:59 (4039 days ago) @ SPQR Praetor

Was there a lag time between the two

Yep. Looks like Bungie.net mobile hit iOS in June of 2011 and Android in October of 2011. Not a terrible delay, but it was on iOS first.

or do they simply prefer to use iOS for demos?

Maybe. Perhaps they think it's more recognizable to most users. It might also be that the iOS version just happens to be a bit more polished at this stage of development. It's generally acknowledged by mobile devs that iOS is easier to develop for, simply because there's a comparatively small variety of hardware configurations to account for. So it's not hard to believe that version might be further ahead.

Are iOS and Android the only systems they support?

I just did some searching and I don't see a version of the Bungie.net app for Windows Phone which is the next biggest platform, so probably yes. Still, they might release a Windows phone version of the Destiny app - who knows? As someone else said, they could probably develop a mobile-friendly website although I doubt that could have the sort of push notifications we've seen in videos (but it might be possible to send SMS notifications with a link to the site).

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 10:13 (4039 days ago) @ stabbim

Was there a lag time between the two

Yep. Looks like Bungie.net mobile hit iOS in June of 2011 and Android in October of 2011. Not a terrible delay, but it was on iOS first.

or do they simply prefer to use iOS for demos?

Maybe. Perhaps they think it's more recognizable to most users. It might also be that the iOS version just happens to be a bit more polished at this stage of development. It's generally acknowledged by mobile devs that iOS is easier to develop for, simply because there's a comparatively small variety of hardware configurations to account for. So it's not hard to believe that version might be further ahead.

Are iOS and Android the only systems they support?

I just did some searching and I don't see a version of the Bungie.net app for Windows Phone which is the next biggest platform, so probably yes. Still, they might release a Windows phone version of the Destiny app - who knows? As someone else said, they could probably develop a mobile-friendly website although I doubt that could have the sort of push notifications we've seen in videos (but it might be possible to send SMS notifications with a link to the site).

I would imagine they will make the app available to as many people as feasibly possible. Now whether or not the 4% (at least in 2013) of the phone market that Windows phones make up is work the effort, that is an entirely different question. But I am relatively sure they will have an app for both iOS and Android available at launch. They have a lot of time to prep for it. But as I always have to point out, I could be wrong.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread