"Always On" and food for thought

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, March 08, 2013, 07:45 (4065 days ago)

Against my better judgement, I'm sharing this here as I feel a few people will find it interesting and perhaps a cautionary tale for the "always on" trend that some games are going to.

If a game like sim city can have problems like this I wonder if it's applicable to bungie? (I have no idea if the player base for sim city is/isn't/will be larger than Destiny's population)

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/simcity-launch-complete-disaster-201105322.html

Considering that Destiny will be on xbl, psn, (maybe Wii and pc?) I can't imagine the server side resources Bungie must be mustering for this endeavor. I'd love to see that farm! (the IT nerd in me squees at the mental image!)The technology required for this excites me :)

**this is not a negative post

**this isn't an invite to start declaring the end of the gaming world as we know it

-Rev
Bungie, if you're reading this, I personally would LOVE to see an article (with pics pretty please?) on bnet about the resources you're building to meet such a challenge. Your network techs must be excited!

Sim City merely adopted online gaming...

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, March 08, 2013, 09:14 (4065 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Bungie was born in it. Moulded by it. They didn't see broadband until they were already Grizzled Ancients! By then, it was nothing to them but excessive!

The internet betrays others, because it belongs to Bungie!

/memes

I can't enjoy this post enough

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, March 08, 2013, 23:45 (4065 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Friday, March 08, 2013, 09:18 (4065 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Against my better judgement, I'm sharing this here as I feel a few people will find it interesting and perhaps a cautionary tale for the "always on" trend that some games are going to.

If a game like sim city can have problems like this I wonder if it's applicable to bungie? (I have no idea if the player base for sim city is/isn't/will be larger than Destiny's population)

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/simcity-launch-complete-disaster-201105322.html

Amazingly enough, games.yahoo.com is currently offline (connection refused).

However, didn't we just have a decent-sized thread about this very thing?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, March 08, 2013, 09:34 (4065 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Probably :)

You'll have to forgive me if it was another rant from Mr.Miller, as I need a break from the prophet of Doom.

In these terms, it got me thinking about Sim City and how popular that game is (I didn't realize). THAT led me to think about the infrastructural requirements and how different they must be from Halo. That got me thinking about Destiny.

I think that would be really neat to see it and for Bungie, it could lead to a "how to" of sorts for other developers and theirAlways Onlinegames.

Basically, you know how Bungie sort of invented the testing standard that 343 adopted for Halo? Well, what if they do the same thing for Always online gaming?

These are things I am interested, others maybe less so. I don't think these topics/subtopics have been brought up.

Naturally, I'm probably wrong.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 08, 2013, 10:52 (4065 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Prophets of Truth, Mercy, Regret, and Doom. Heh.

On topic: One thing I haven't seen is any report on is why this really happened. Obviously there was a failure in hardware or judgement somewhere, but even the biggest players in always online systems (like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft) suffer outages for both very complex multilayered reasons, and stupid reasons alike.

And yes, I think it would be great if Bungie would shed some light on their sever preparations once we get closer to launch.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 08, 2013, 09:36 (4065 days ago) @ Revenant1988

The server load for Sim City is undoubtedly higher than it will be for Destiny. XBL and PSN are very lite, in that the matchmaking servers only pair players up, then the host player's connection is responsible for maintaining the game. In contrast, the Sim City servers actually run simulation code, and so one of the things EA is doing is removing game features to alleviate problems (such as limiting the simulation speed to llama, and not letting you choose cheetah).

Like Diablo 3, running critical code server side is without question an anti-piracy move. And like Diablo 3, whose console versions will NOT require an internet connection, the game will probably run fine locally.

The reason Blizzard isn't requiring a connection for the console versions is simply because folks don't pirate console games in large numbers since it is much harder, and even if they did they couldn't get online with it. So Bungie would be foolish to be running large chunks of the game code on servers, since the 'problem' it's meant to solve doesn't really exist, because 1. people don't pirate console games in significant numbers, and 2. even if they did they couldn't play online anyway.

Basically, Bungie would have to be dumb to do what was done with Sim City.

by kapowaz, Friday, March 08, 2013, 09:51 (4065 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Like Diablo 3, running critical code server side is without question an anti-piracy move.

I'd question that it has anything to do with piracy in the case of the always-on requirement with Diablo III, which I suspect Bungie will have something in common with: a strong desire to guarantee the integrity of the game state data.

Going back a few years, Diablo II had a major problem with item duplication due to locally-run exploits. There were also black markets for item trading, through eBay and other places. Knowing that people would want to trade items for real money whether or not they gave it their blessing, Blizzard decided to incorporate a real money auction house in-game, but that necessitated having pretty strong confidence in the integrity of the game systems. It's no good having a RMAH if it's trivially easy to duplicate a bunch of high-demand items and then sell them — it'd ruin the game for everyone.

The lack of an always-online requirement for the PS4 version of Diablo III has nothing to do with piracy, and everything to do with the PS4 being a closed system that's far less likely (impossible?) to reverse engineer the loot system for, and so the auction house is safer. That's assuming they're even going to launch a RMAH for Diablo III on PS4 — maybe they're not, and that's another reason they're happy with it running entirely locally?

Either way, piracy is a red herring. Sometimes users get caught in the crossfire, but unlike the more overtly obnoxious efforts of DRM, this kind of always-online system is usually a design decision made to enforce some other requirement.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 08, 2013, 11:12 (4065 days ago) @ kapowaz

Like Diablo 3, running critical code server side is without question an anti-piracy move.

I'd question that it has anything to do with piracy in the case of the always-on requirement with Diablo III, which I suspect Bungie will have something in common with: a strong desire to guarantee the integrity of the game state data.

Going back a few years, Diablo II had a major problem with item duplication due to locally-run exploits. There were also black markets for item trading, through eBay and other places. Knowing that people would want to trade items for real money whether or not they gave it their blessing, Blizzard decided to incorporate a real money auction house in-game, but that necessitated having pretty strong confidence in the integrity of the game systems. It's no good having a RMAH if it's trivially easy to duplicate a bunch of high-demand items and then sell them — it'd ruin the game for everyone.

Partially. Your theory is flawed because in Diablo 2, single player characters could not be taken onto the ranked realms. They were separate for that reason. Any items duplicated offline could not be brought online to ranked realms (only 'open' unranked ones). Diablo 3 has already had duping problems. This doesn't solve it. Of course, if there was the equivalent of the 'open' battle.net that existed for Diablo 2, nobody in their right mind would pay for items when you could simply hack your character and play with your friends as you could in D2. So, yes it's because of the auction house, but not in the way I think you think. Being able to play offline means people doing so won't buy shit because they can get it for free.

The lack of an always-online requirement for the PS4 version of Diablo III has nothing to do with piracy, and everything to do with the PS4 being a closed system that's far less likely (impossible?) to reverse engineer the loot system for, and so the auction house is safer. That's assuming they're even going to launch a RMAH for Diablo III on PS4 — maybe they're not, and that's another reason they're happy with it running entirely locally?

No auction house, which yes, that and no piracy is why there is no online requirement.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, March 08, 2013, 09:53 (4065 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The server load for Sim City is undoubtedly higher than it will be for Destiny. XBL and PSN are very lite, in that the matchmaking servers only pair players up, then the host player's connection is responsible for maintaining the game. In contrast, the Sim City servers actually run simulation code, and so one of the things EA is doing is removing game features to alleviate problems (such as limiting the simulation speed to llama, and not letting you choose cheetah).

Like Diablo 3, running critical code server side is without question an anti-piracy move. And like Diablo 3, whose console versions will NOT require an internet connection, the game will probably run fine locally.

A couple of my buddies are big Diablo players and they bitched like nobody's business the first few weeks after that game came out about connection issues and server availability.

I don't necessarily know that PSN and XBL are...lighter. I would imagine they've seen significant growth in the time they've been out (especially with all the stuff Sony plans to do with PSN and PS4).

The reason Blizzard isn't requiring a connection for the console versions is simply because folks don't pirate console games in large numbers since it is much harder, and even if they did they couldn't get online with it. So Bungie would be foolish to be running large chunks of the game code on servers, since the 'problem' it's meant to solve doesn't really exist, because 1. people don't pirate console games in significant numbers, and 2. even if they did they couldn't play online anyway.

I think its cute that you think that, I really do.

Buddy, I used to pirate xbl games. It's easier than you think, and the community is pretty large. I only ever lost one xbox to being console banned, and the reason I did is because I got cocky and played a ripped game without applying a firmware update.

I didn't get caught on that box and gamertag for 4 years. I easily played a couple thousand worth of games.

When I got console banned on that account, I stopped because I wised up after I had my fun. My main gamertag has never been...disgraced, I should say. I essentially used the other one for all the games I wanted to play but didn't want to buy new. Thankfully, I've seen the light and have changed.

The two other guys that modded with me still do it, and haven't payed for a game in years. I'm sure the hacks and mods have changed but I haven't kept up with them. I still see em online allll the time, and they play the same games we do.

Piracy is more present than you think, I think. But, for Destiny I don't think that will be an issue at present, because who knows what counter measures the PS4 and next xbox may have.

Basically, Bungie would have to be dumb to do what was done with Sim City.

Destiny seems to be shaping up to be something really big. Since its on multiple platforms, I wonder how much of this will be housed and provided by Bungie or that might be hosted by someone else. I'll clarify that I'm referring to the servers and network relationship in this case.

Basically, I'm curious if there will be similar....outages(?) and demand for this title?

There's a few others but I have to get back to work. I'll check back here in a bit.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 08, 2013, 11:16 (4065 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Piracy is more present than you think, I think.

I am open to this being true, but it seems to me that it's just sample bias. Tons of folks on HBO pirated the Halo 2 leak (including many of the 'big names' of the community), but I'm guessing that's because it's a more tech savvy crowd. I would still put money on more folks stealing PC games than Xbox games, as a percentage of people who have played the game.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, March 08, 2013, 09:54 (4065 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Seconded. A glimpse at B.net in the flesh and an accompanying article would be fascinating. I'm sure Achronos isn't busy with anything...

~M

"Always on" can be severely damaging

by Avateur @, Friday, March 08, 2013, 18:50 (4065 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by Avateur, Friday, March 08, 2013, 18:53

I do have a lot of concerns about Destiny. I really hope Bungie knows what it's doing. 40, 50 years from now, assuming my Xbox's still work, I'll still be able to play Halo. Bungie may effectively be creating a game that will become a brick if the right conditions aren't meant.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/simcity-burning-a-warning-to-microsoft-sony-and-all-publishers-on-the-dangers-...

This is actually a really good read. I think the best paragraph was this one:

"But forget about money for a moment. There's also the question of preserving gaming history. As we saw with THQ last month, publishers aren't immortal. They can die, and had THQ implemented always-online DRM in Darksiders II, all copies of that game might've died with it when the rights to the series weren't bought up by another publisher. As bad as it must feel when thousands – or even millions – of people are playing your game without paying for it, surely the idea of everyone who did pay for it losing access to a piece of your work that they love is even more appalling."

Also, this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/simcity-marketing-pulled-by-ea?abthid=513a8bf828f854f249000026

Ah. EA Games, Challenge Everything.

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 00:41 (4065 days ago) @ Revenant1988

It's pretty apparent that EA only brings online enough servers to handle 'post-launch' player server and bandwidth requirements.

That is, to save money EA only puts just enough servers online to accommodate regular use like you'd see months after launch.

Needless to say, the server requirements needed months, or even just a few weeks after launch, are not the same as those required right AT launch, and this is part of the reason why EA's titles have such massive multiplayer/online issues on release day.

EA intentionally cripple their game to save money. (Frankly, incredibly short-sighted, as Simcity is showing them. Crippling your game does not, in fact, save you money.)

by Steve, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 07:16 (4064 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Do not be blinded by your nut-hugging fanboydom for Bungie.. A company as huge as EA couldn't even manage to pull this off, why would Bungie be able to? Chances are, a lot of the same stuff handled on Simcity server-side will be the same for Destiny. It's going to be a total disaster. There is absolutely no way to be sure how things will turn out, good or bad, we just have to wait and see. Frankly, I'm not buying/pre-ordering anymore always-on bullshit no matter how bad I want it.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 07:42 (4064 days ago) @ Steve

Do not be blinded by your nut-hugging fanboydom for Bungie.

Find a better way to express yourself, please.

Remember that you're posting on a Bungie fansite. Don't act surprised and go on the offensive every time you see an optimistic post from a Bungie fanboy (or fangirl).

It's going to be a total disaster. There is absolutely no way to be sure how things will turn out, good or bad, we just have to wait and see.

I don't understand... should we wait and see, or do we already know it's going to be a disaster?

Did you forget what the B stands for?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 08:16 (4064 days ago) @ Steve

Do not be blinded by your nut-hugging fanboydom for Bungie.. A company as huge as EA couldn't even manage to pull this off, why would Bungie be able to?

EA has a history of terrible online launches, no one was really surprised this time, just this time it got a lot of press because of the "always-online" functionality. Bungie on the other hand has had no problems with their online game launches, while Microsoft had problems with Halo 4 day one. The reason why I have such "nut-hugging fanboydom" is because so far they have not done anything that made me doubt them a whole lot. Am I a little skeptical they can pull it off without a hitch? Sure. Am I hopeful they can and will? Absolutely.

Why don't we wait see eh?

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 09:58 (4064 days ago) @ Xenos

Do not be blinded by your nut-hugging fanboydom for Bungie.. A company as huge as EA couldn't even manage to pull this off, why would Bungie be able to?

EA has a history of terrible online launches, no one was really surprised this time, just this time it got a lot of press because of the "always-online" functionality. Bungie on the other hand has had no problems with their online game launches, while Microsoft had problems with Halo 4 day one.

"No problems"? I guess you weren't around for the launch of the Halo 3 Beta. :)

by Avateur @, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 10:01 (4064 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Haha good times. Granted, it was a Beta. :P

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 10:02 (4064 days ago) @ Claude Errera

EA has a history of terrible online launches, no one was really surprised this time, just this time it got a lot of press because of the "always-online" functionality. Bungie on the other hand has had no problems with their online game launches, while Microsoft had problems with Halo 4 day one.

I know you're just teasing, but hence the Beta Nomenclature :)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 04:31 (4061 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't know if EA ever talked about numbers, but I have a feeling the H3 beta was quite a bit bigger in scope than the SC5 beta.

As for the rest... I think there's a principle involved in Cody's objection that can't be overriden by trust in Bungie or distrust of EA. It's a question of what the online requirement is for. If coop is optional and not mandatory-- as it is in both of these games-- what is the requirement for?

by kapowaz, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 04:43 (4061 days ago) @ narcogen

It's a question of what the online requirement is for. If coop is optional and not mandatory-- as it is in both of these games-- what is the requirement for?

From the way Pete Parsons talked about it in the interview in Edge magazine, it's not optional; you'll be playing in a co-operative environment whether or not you want to, and other players will join your game from time to time and share the same play landscape.

One thing that this makes me wonder about is how you go about tackling the game at your own pace; I would regularly pause a game of Halo campaign for before coming back to it — it always bugged me that you couldn't pause a firefight game, and if the world is persistent and can involve other players then I have to imagine there's going to be no facility for pausing in Destiny, either.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:09 (4058 days ago) @ kapowaz

Yeah, the pause button issue worries me as well. If only because life happens.

by nico, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 10:41 (4064 days ago) @ Steve

Do not be blinded by your kiddy notion that "bigger is better."

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 16:28 (4059 days ago) @ Revenant1988

This is the first thing I'd like them to clear up, especially as far as Xbox Live and gold accounts, and what happens to people who don't have Internet or don't have a fast enough connection for XBL and/or PSN. I find it hard to believe they'd require people to pay an extra fee that doesn't even go to them just to play, and really I find it hard to believe they'd make it absolutely necessary to be connected (and again, presumably connected with a certain speed and a certain degree of reliability) to even play the game. What about vacations? What about parts of the world where electricity is easy enough to come by but Internet, or broadband, is prohibitively expensive?
What about those days when you've just had enough of other people and you want to enjoy yourself by yourself?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread