Age range *OT*

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 16:19 (4037 days ago)

I am relatively new to the b.org group (joined HBO less than a year ago) but I've been lurking around for a couple years. I'm kinda curious about the different age groups that Bungie and DBO have attracted. If you don't mind sharing, on a scale of 1-Claude how old are you and when did your Bungie fandom begin? I'm 21, and my love for Bungie and Bungie games began with Halo CE back in 2002.

And I would like to give a big WELCOME to any new fans who have joined the family for Destiny!

Age range *OT*

by Lurono @, Oklahoma, USA, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 16:23 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Heh, similar roots here.

I'm 23. My brother and I got Halo CE for Christmas in 2001. I discovered HBO sometime around May 2002 and lurked until around the time Reach was released =)

Age range *OT*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 16:24 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

We very likely cater to every age regardless of the ESRB.

M/20/Kentucky

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 17:31 (4037 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

My older brother had Marathon so I heard about Bungie that way.

Got Halo in 2001 at launch. Found HBO I guess right around the time Halo 2 was about to release and lurked until Halo 3 released.

I have been the resident "Bryan Newman, Bryan newman, bryan Newman, bryan newman" of these forums since then, though I do look forward to the day when someone else can claim that mantle of responsibility.

Age range *OT*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 16:26 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I am 27, my Bungie fandom began with Marathon right before Marathon 2 came out.

Age range *OT*

by Flynn J Taggart, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 20:29 (4037 days ago) @ Xenos

I am 27, my Bungie fandom began with Marathon right before Marathon 2 came out.

Similar age and background, except I jumped on board the Bungie train around M2/MOO time... and I'm 100% all-American Grade A Male. That's right, with a capital M.

19/M/Detroit

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 16:41 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Was the 1 a typo?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 09:55 (4036 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

- No text -

48/F/Korea

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 16:58 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

20 years old. Fell in love with Bungie in spring 2003 after playing Halo for the first time. Haven't regretted a second of my devotion. :)

48/M/westcoast

by mnemesis, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 20:24 (4036 days ago) @ Grizzlei

No really, 48.

Crap. This makes me ash, doesn't it?

Damnit.

48/M/westcoast

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:28 (4036 days ago) @ mnemesis

No really, 48.

Damnit.

I'm 49. Get off my lawn!

There, does that feel better?

48/M/westcoast

by mnemesis, Monday, March 11, 2013, 22:20 (4035 days ago) @ Kermit

No really, 48.

Damnit.

I'm 49. Get off my lawn!

There, does that feel better?

Excellent! I mean, uh... stop bugging me, old man!

Age range *OT*

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 17:14 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

25, here.

First came across Bungie around the time of their acquisition by Microsoft, when they started releasing some bits of info about Halo, which I had thought at the time would essentially be an MMOFPS - All the players are humans or covenant with a tug of war of battle all across the Halo ring - something like Planetside today.

What it turned out to be was massively different from that, but no less awesome. I still have my Halo 2 launch t-shirt signed by some of the devs when I went down to Seattle.

Age range *OT*

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 18:16 (4037 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

What it turned out to be was massively different from that, but no less awesome. I still have my Halo 2 launch t-shirt signed by some of the devs when I went down to Seattle.

You were at the Halo 2 launch? At the EMP? I was there too! I was the fat kid who won the Master Chief statue from the raffle!

Age range *OT*

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 04:58 (4037 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

I was so excited to play the game. Too bad Bungie didn't expect the kind of showing they had, I think I only got to play through two quick matches overall.

Honestly, my favourite part of it was when one of the Bungie dudes came over to watch me play and started asking me questions about how the weapons felt, what I was thinking and doing, etc.

Age range *OT*

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, March 11, 2013, 23:01 (4035 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

It was pretty awesome. My first game was team swords on Beaver Creek. So much fun, I was giddy the whole time. Almost got in a car wreck on my way home, was discussing the experience with a buddy so enthusiastically wasn't watching the road. Heh.

Age range *OT*

by GauntMkII, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 17:16 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

23, male, Australia. I started off with the first Halo quite late, only a few months before Halo 2 came out. I joined the HBO forums around the time of Halo 3's announcement trailer, where I discovered Marathon and ate that up too.

Age range *OT*

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 17:31 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

23 / fell in love with Halo CE in 2002. Began lurking around HBO around the time of H3.

Age range *OT*

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 17:51 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm 21, and my love for Bungie and Bungie games began with Halo CE back in 2002.

Ditto.

20/M/England

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 17:55 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm a 20 year old human being from the planet Earth. I discovered Halo when I was much smaller - when it came with my friends Xbox in 2002. We played lots of custom games and campaign. And LAN birthday parties, of course.

I discovered Bungie soon after, the folks behind it all. And was probably very annoying over there on the b.net forums, but nobody will remember that, thankfully. Since then I've fallen in love with the studio and have played the much of their catalogue, love only ever increasing.

I haven't really been involved with Bungie.org at all, save for reading the front page of HBO. And I figured that with the announcement of Destiny, I'd get myself involved with this community.

Age range *OT*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, March 09, 2013, 20:14 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

22 here.

Got in love with Halo when a cousin of mine that worked with MS brought home on vacation a Xbox with it, pretty sure on summer 2001. Unfortunately, her Xbox was PAL version, so I had to wait a whole year before I could enjoy Halo in its entirety.

Stumbled upon HBO by accident after mistyping bungie.net first as bungie.com and trying .org before .net. Stuck around since then.

26/M/North Carolina

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 20:20 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I jumped on the Bungie.Org train around 2003 (I think?) with HBO before Halo 2 came out. I was on the Bungie train, however, long before that. In fact, at nine years old, the demos for Marathon and Pathways into Darkness were the first games I ever played (ah, Macintosh 660AV, how I miss you...). I skipped Myth and Oni (mostly because I was given a PC, didn't know about them, and had zero budget for games) but I never, ever forgot Bungie's name, or their logo.

So many years later when I started seeing commercials for that newfangled Halo game, I was intrigued. Then I saw it was on a console, and I didn't own any consoles, so I stopped caring. Then one day my friend brought his Xbox over with the Halo demo disc. Two years later, I had a limited edition copy of Halo 2 in my hands before I even had an Xbox.

I have to credit Bungie for getting me into gaming in the first place. Vulgar as it sounds, where most of the Internet seems to have a raging hard-on for Valve, I have one for Bungie. They have never let me down, they're an amazing group of people, and I find the way they share that with the world to be second to none.

I'm psyched for Destiny, and I'm psyched to be here at the inception of something awesome, rather than coming in after the party has already started.

What part of North Carolina?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 21:19 (4037 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I grew up in Charlotte.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 22:11 (4037 days ago) @ Xenos

I grew up in Charlotte.

Charlotte, oddly enough.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 23:27 (4037 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Nice,

I miss NC, now I live in a desert that is only green for about a month or two out of the year.

26/M/North Carolina

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:11 (4036 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

They have never let me down, they're an amazing group of people, and I find the way they share that with the world to be second to none.

I'm psyched for Destiny, and I'm psyched to be here at the inception of something awesome, rather than coming in after the party has already started.

:) Amen dude!

Agreed about Valve...

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 21:53 (4036 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I have to credit Bungie for getting me into gaming in the first place. Vulgar as it sounds, where most of the Internet seems to have a raging hard-on for Valve, I have one for Bungie. They have never let me down, they're an amazing group of people, and I find the way they share that with the world to be second to none.

Everybody is all over Valve, their last several games weren't even made by them. Portal, LFD etc. all external companies. Valve has mastered the art of making money off of other people's work. Not that I am trashing steam, but it seams to me that game development is no longer their top priority.

Agreed about Valve...

by Flynn J Taggart, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 22:04 (4036 days ago) @ bryan newman

Everybody is all over Valve, their last several games weren't even made by them. Portal, LFD etc. all external companies. Valve has mastered the art of making money off of other people's work. Not that I am trashing steam, but it seams to me that game development is no longer their top priority.

It's not that it's external companies necessarily, but more like ideas/IPs/people that Valve hires occasionally for the express purposes of professionally developing said ideas/IPs/people. Gabe himself has pointed out that their only original IP is Half-Life. Team Fortress, CS, and as you've pointed out, Portal and L4D all existed in some form prior to Valve developing them further. They hire teams of people to work on ideas that excite them, basically. The game development side of Valve (outside of Half-Life) has always seemed to me to be high end mod makers in their approach to design. I don't think it's bad at all, but it's just a different way than the standard developer approach. I'm fans of both them and Bungie.

Agreed about Valve...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 22:06 (4036 days ago) @ bryan newman

I don't know about Left 4 Dead, but Portal was absolutely made by them. What you might be thinking of is that they got the idea from a student project and then hired the students that worked on it to make Portal (and they were hired to positions at Valve and worked with people there). Portal 2 was similar, a lot of the same people that made the first one worked on the second one, and the gel mechanic was inspired by another student project, and again those students were hired.

Age range *OT*

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 20:51 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm 19, and my love for Bungie games started in 2005, when I got my first laptop and was told about this game called Halo: CE.

I had heard about HBO by around the time Halo 3 had come out, but was never a big forum poster. I finally made an account when DBO was announced, and have been posting occasionally since.

25/M/Canada -- 2003

by HawaiianPig, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 20:58 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

33/M/South Carolina

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 21:22 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Joined HBO back in 2006. Been playing Halo since the day Combat Evolved came out.

Age range *OT*

by katancik ⌂ @, Portland, OR/ University of Texas, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 22:21 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm 18 and going to school in Texas. I've been playing Halo since CE with some friends way younger than I should have been. I put it down for a long time and got an Xbox 360 and Halo 3. In Halo 3, I helped run a site called HaloTracks.org, which was a site centered around Halo-racing. I grew tired of that community with Reach and left the site.

I had always been familiar with HBO, and was talking about joining with another friend while in a Reach grifball matchmaking lobby. THAT VERY GAME, who should pop into our lobby on our team but Mr Louis Wu. We played for a few more hours, became friends and I've been here ever since. I'm still amazed by that coincidence.

lol - never realized that. :)

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:41 (4036 days ago) @ katancik

- No text -

Age range *OT*

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 22:52 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I am relatively new to the b.org group (joined HBO less than a year ago) but I've been lurking around for a couple years. I'm kinda curious about the different age groups that Bungie and DBO have attracted. If you don't mind sharing, on a scale of 1-Claude how old are you and when did your Bungie fandom begin? I'm 21, and my love for Bungie and Bungie games began with Halo CE back in 2002.

I'm Claude minus a few and my first Bungie game was Marathon. (Missed out on Pathways by a bit, went back and played some of it later.) Played everything since.

Age range *OT*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 04:33 (4037 days ago) @ narcogen

I'm Claude minus plus a few and my first Bungie game was Marathon. (Missed out on Pathways by a bit, went back and played some of it later.) Played everything since.

Fixed that so that it fit me, and I just have to say, you all are babies!

Lurked on bungie.org since the Hamish days, dreaming of attending one of Mig's fanfests.

Started speaking as Gorehead on HBO in 2000. Transformed into a frog a little later.

Mostly babbys here, except Claude.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 22:55 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

How is B.Org formed?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:20 (4036 days ago) @ biggy

- No text -

19/M/Seattle

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 23:16 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I've always loved Halo, but I didn't get into the Bungie/Halo community until I was about 14 or so. Didn't join HBO until 2009 (around ODST's release), but I did lurk before that.

I lol'ed

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 23:43 (4037 days ago) @ TDSpiral

Everybody living in a Seattle suburb hates openly admitting that they live where they do. I've lived in the area for a decade and I can't say for certain where exactly Kirkland is. The Eastside and anything south of SeaTac is a mythical land to me.

I lol'ed

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 01:40 (4037 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Everybody living in a Seattle suburb hates openly admitting that they live where they do.

That's natural on the Internet. In these parts (the entire world), almost nobody is going to know where a Bellevue or a Tukwila or an Edmonds is.

Speaking of which, anyone living in a city whose name is <north/south> <name of big city> has it easy and is clearly cheating.

22/M/Seattle

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 11:34 (4036 days ago) @ uberfoop

That's natural on the Internet. In these parts (the entire world), almost nobody is going to know where a Bellevue or a Tukwila or an Edmonds is.

We should have a contest on HBO where out-of-towners try and pronounce "Sequim" or "Puyallup" or "Issaquah."

22/M/Seattle

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 12:02 (4036 days ago) @ kanbo

We should have a contest on HBO where out-of-towners try and pronounce "Sequim" or "Puyallup" or "Issaquah."

Heh, I heard someone give several amazing renditions of "Tulalip" yesterday.

Of all the funky names, Sequim is the best. People who hear the name think they can write it, and people who read it think they can say it.

PNW tribes are the ultimate trolls

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 12:39 (4036 days ago) @ uberfoop
edited by Grizzlei, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 12:44

...and also sexy werewolves.

I lol'ed

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 11:56 (4036 days ago) @ uberfoop

For those not in the know:
Tukwila proper noun: the Pacific Northwest's largest shopping mall.

Speaking of which, anyone living in a city whose name is <north/south> <name of big city> has it easy and is clearly cheating.

Except West Vancouver. Sorta.

I lol'ed

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 12:38 (4036 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

For those not in the know:
Tukwila proper noun: the Pacific Northwest's largest shopping mall.

...I'm obviously not in the know and I'm ashamed of myself for not being so.

I lol'ed

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 13:11 (4036 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Southcenter Mall is not only the NW's largest shopping mall, but is surrounded by miles of big-box retailers and strip malls. When I'm home, I somehow end up there every week.

I'm sure you could shame me with almost any joke north of downtown. While technically within city limits, I'm boring and suburban that way.

I lol'ed

by Flynn J Taggart, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:27 (4036 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

Southcenter Mall is not only the NW's largest shopping mall, but is surrounded by miles of big-box retailers and strip malls. When I'm home, I somehow end up there every week.

I'm sure you could shame me with almost any joke north of downtown. While technically within city limits, I'm boring and suburban that way.

I knew where it was because I've actually stayed in some hotels near there and whenever I drive up from O-re-gon to Seattle, I drive past it on I5.

I lol'ed

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 21:37 (4033 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Everybody living in a Seattle suburb hates openly admitting that they live where they do. I've lived in the area for a decade and I can't say for certain where exactly Kirkland is. The Eastside and anything south of SeaTac is a mythical land to me.

Exactly. No one around here is going to know where the hell Kirkland is (unless they've visited the old Bungie studio/343), but you can give a general idea of where you live, which is just Western Washington. If you want refer to Eastern Washington, you just say Spokane.

Age range *OT*

by Airetta, Canada, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 00:59 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax
edited by Airetta, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 01:19

I'm 22 :3. I began with Halo: CE thanks to my best friend (she still is!) but because I didn't have my own Xbox, I played Halo PC. For 3 years lol. Missed out on the Halo 2 console excitement, except for when I went to visit my best friend, but got Halo 2 PC a couple years later. Then finally got an Xbox 360 to get in on the Halo 3 action.
Always heard about HBO but I wasn't exactly a forum goer until about 2 years ago, and even since then it's on and off.... I'm more of a lurker... :)

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 07:45 (4037 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I first played Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2005 when my mom decided I was old enough to shoot aliens. :)

Joined HaloGAF in 2008. I was able to post the day Frankie announced he was leaving Bungie to join 343 Industries. I made an account on HBO to post here and there (I guess Wu deleted it). I'll probably stick around here until DestinyGAF takes off.

Nice to see some others from NC. Personally, I can't wait to get out of this state. I hate it here.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 14:39 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

Nice to see some others from NC. Personally, I can't wait to get out of this state. I hate it here.

I felt much the same way until I moved to a desert.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:02 (4036 days ago) @ Xenos

Luckily I have no plans to move to any desert! I'll probably be moving to the West Coast.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:17 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

Anywhere on the west coast is frickin' beautiful; IMHO, it gets better the farther North you go. I'm pretty sure you'll love it when you make it over here.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:45 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Anywhere on the west coast is frickin' beautiful; IMHO, it gets foggier the farther North you go. I'm pretty sure you'll love it when you make it over here.

Fixed that for you. But seriously, as great as the weather is in SoCal, I'd want to live in the SF bay area if it weren't so damn expensive. That city is inspiring.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:49 (4036 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Anywhere on the west coast is frickin' beautiful; IMHO, it gets foggier the farther North you go. I'm pretty sure you'll love it when you make it over here.

Haha, true. I was meaning the entire West coast though. I think the Oregon and Washington coastlines are awesome. Sure, they're not the hot and sunny beaches of SoCal, but, to me, they are better.

21/F/Wilmington, NC *IMGS*

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:51 (4035 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Haha, true. I was meaning the entire West coast though. I think the Oregon and Washington coastlines are awesome. Sure, they're not the hot and sunny beaches of SoCal, but, to me, they are better.

Dear Lord, all this talk of Northern Washington is making me homesick something fierce.

Definitely one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Proof:
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I want to go home.

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:54 (4035 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Oh lord, you're making me so jealous. I don't want to have to move to LA!

Beautiful pictures. I want to live there so much!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:57 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

I've been to a few different places,
Lived here and there for a time,
But the rain-forests of Washington,
Fill the landscapes of my mind.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Monday, March 11, 2013, 02:54 (4036 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Fixed that for you. But seriously, as great as the weather is in SoCal, I'd want to live in the SF bay area if it weren't so damn expensive. That city is inspiring.

Living on the west coat here in BC. Definitely not foggy very often. Overcast and raining a lot? Yeah, sure.

Some of the most beautiful scenery in the world? Definitely.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, March 11, 2013, 03:05 (4036 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Living on the west coat here in BC. Definitely not foggy very often. Overcast and raining a lot? Yeah, sure.

The Pacific Northwest: Where all used clouds go to die.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:49 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

I first played Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2005 when my mom decided I was old enough to shoot aliens. :)

Joined HaloGAF in 2008. I was able to post the day Frankie announced he was leaving Bungie to join 343 Industries. I made an account on HBO to post here and there (I guess Wu deleted it). I'll probably stick around here until DestinyGAF takes off.

I delete almost nothing.

It's still there - just invisible without posts to back it up.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 16:17 (4036 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I could've sworn I've posted on HBO at least once!

51 times, apparently

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 16:37 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

Zing.

Old posts get archived from carnage to library because of the old and flawed way that forum system worked. This should not be a problem on DBO.

51 times, apparently

by Dax01, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 16:49 (4036 days ago) @ RC

A conspiracy to hide all of my worthwhile contributions.

51 times, apparently

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Sunday, March 10, 2013, 17:37 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

Don't feel bad. I went years without posting on HBO after my singular post, silently lurking, like a completely not creepy stalker. I keep saying that I'll go back to uber lurking, but SOMEBODY keeps insisting that I post in here.

ZACH.

51 times, apparently

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 11, 2013, 02:22 (4036 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Don't feel bad. I went years without posting on HBO after my singular post, silently lurking, like a completely not creepy stalker. I keep saying that I'll go back to uber lurking, but SOMEBODY keeps insisting that I post in here.

ZACH.

I do not know who this "Zach" you speak of is, but I agree with him. You do fit well here.

You smartpants.

My name is Xenos and I was an HBO lurker.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, March 11, 2013, 06:16 (4036 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah I think I have about 1 or 2 posts on HBO. But my cookies kept getting corrupted, and I was too lazy to figure out why. Luckily these forums seem to like me.

DBO format > HBO format. Now we just need avatars!

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 06:26 (4036 days ago) @ Xenos

I've gotten a hang of reading the forums, where it seems like I could never do so over at HBO.

As the title says, now we just need avatars, and I'd be perfectly happy!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:23 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

I wouldn't be. I think they're clutteriffic!

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:20 (4035 days ago) @ Kermit

I wouldn't be. I think they're clutteriffic!

But I was going to make mine some hot actress (proving my acceptance of misogyny in gaming culture, but she won't have giant boobs, so I'm not that bad) who is only famous to a certain subset of moviegoers, and unrecognizable to others. Then we could talk about her like everyone should know who she is. Then I could photoshop a guardian's mask on her and animate it. It would be so cool. You would respect me more.

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:29 (4035 days ago) @ Mercury

But I was going to make mine some hot actress (proving my acceptance of misogyny in gaming culture, but she won't have giant boobs, so I'm not that bad) who is only famous to a certain subset of moviegoers, and unrecognizable to others. Then we could talk about her like everyone should know who she is. Then I could photoshop a guardian's mask on her and animate it. It would be so cool. You would respect me more.

*shrugs* I just see avatars as a way to express yourself.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:49 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01
edited by bluerunner, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:09

*shrugs* I just see avatars as a way to express yourself.

Express yourself through what you say. You don't need some silly picture next to your name to express yourself. Draw your own artwork and share it. Post your own thoughts rather than having a quote tacked onto every post. That's the beauty of b.org. It gets rid of all the clutter so you can actually read what people are saying. It gets rid of the clutter so a great piece of fan art can have the screen all to itself.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:51 (4035 days ago) @ bluerunner

It gets rid of all the clutter so you can actually were what people are saying.

I don't know how to were. It doesn't involve drugs does it? :)

Actually, it requires being bitten.

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:53 (4035 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:12 (4035 days ago) @ Mr Daax

It gets rid of all the clutter so you can actually were what people are saying.

I don't know how to were. It doesn't involve drugs does it? :)

*Read. My phone is on the fritz. I couldn't read what I was typing when I posted that. Stupid thing is driving me crazy.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:31 (4035 days ago) @ Mercury

Which is why Bungie.net makes you choose from their selection instead.

No.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:27 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

Avatars and graphical signatures are the primary reason that I can't stand browsing "modern" forums. Screw that noise

heh

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, March 11, 2013, 13:23 (4035 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Avatars and graphical signatures are the primary reason that I can't stand browsing "modern" forums. Screw that noise

Graphical avatars can be used to provide quicker identification of users through colour and form than simple uniformly-coloured text names can.

Can it be abused and end up distracting from the content? Of course. But personally I'm quite attached to my b.net avatar - for example. Graphical, always-exposed signatures was just a bad idea altogether though.

Though I know Wu is kind of a purist - that little should distract from the content.

Agreed.

by Quirel, Monday, March 11, 2013, 22:43 (4035 days ago) @ RC

Sometimes, I have trouble remembering the difference between two people with similar names, but I don't think it's worth cluttering up the forum for.

51 times, apparently

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 09:40 (4034 days ago) @ ZackDark

Hi, my name's Mike and I have an atrocious memory as to how to spell names. I remembered that you're "Zach/Zack"! Be happy I remember that much!

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 18:53 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

:(

I guess I felt a little bit that way when I was 21. Living a few other places changed that. Much depends on where you are. I like Wilmington, though, so go figure.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 03:46 (4036 days ago) @ Kermit

NC has nothing to offer me. Not a huge fan of the weather, too.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 05:58 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

Please tell me you've spent extended time in every part of NC. If not, then stop over generalizing, and be more specific. Wilmington might just not be to your liking

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 06:16 (4036 days ago) @ JDQuackers
edited by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 06:27

Please tell me you've spent extended time in every part of NC. If not, then stop over generalizing, and be more specific. Wilmington might just not be to your liking

Did I insult you or something? I've lived in NC for seventeen years, dude. I can say anything about the state I damn well please. It's too conservative for my tastes and it doesn't offer me anything.

If I had to live anywhere in this state, it'd be Asheville which is GORGEOUS, but I'm not retired, and Asheville doesn't offer me anything for what I want to do with my life.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:20 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

Did I insult you or something? I've lived in NC for seventeen years, dude. I can say anything about the state I damn well please. It's too conservative for my tastes and it doesn't offer me anything.

If I had to live anywhere in this state, it'd be Asheville which is GORGEOUS, but I'm not retired, and Asheville doesn't offer me anything for what I want to do with my life.

When you say you hate an entire state, you're bound to arouse some defensiveness. I do think you're giving the impression that it's more culturally homogeneous than it is. One of the things I like about it is I don't have to travel far to feel like I'm in a completely different place.

Fair enough, though. Like I said, I had similar feelings when I was younger. I hope you get to live in lots of places. Who knows? Maybe you'll feel homesick someday. If you're ever up this way, there are several HBOers around if you want to have a meet up.

Peace.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:27 (4036 days ago) @ Kermit

When you say you hate an entire state, you're bound to arouse some defensiveness. I do think you're giving the impression that it's more culturally homogeneous than it is. One of the things I like about it is I don't have to travel far to feel like I'm in a completely different place.

Fair enough, though. Like I said, I had similar feelings when I was younger. I hope you get to live in lots of places. Who knows? Maybe you'll feel homesick someday. If you're ever up this way, there are several HBOers around if you want to have a meet up.

Peace.

I never said I hated the entire state, merely that I hate living in it. When I visited Seattle I felt much more at home there than I have in all my seventeen years of NC.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:35 (4036 days ago) @ Dax01

Peace.

I never said I hated the entire state, merely that I hate living in it. When I visited Seattle I felt much more at home there than I have in all my seventeen years of NC.

Well, you didn't literally say those words in that order, but you communicated the idea pretty clearly with the last two sentences of your first post. I like Seattle, too, BTW. I bet you money, though, that there's a 21-year-old living in Seattle, who has spent 17 years there, and can't wait to leave. :)

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:57 (4035 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, you didn't literally say those words in that order, but you communicated the idea pretty clearly with the last two sentences of your first post. I like Seattle, too, BTW. I bet you money, though, that there's a 21-year-old living in Seattle, who has spent 17 years there, and can't wait to leave. :)

I have a lot of problems with NC, but I don't hate it. It's an okay state.

Also, I don't understand what another person's opinion of Seattle has to do with me liking it or not.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:07 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

I have a lot of problems with NC, but I don't hate it. It's an okay state.

Also, I don't understand what another person's opinion of Seattle has to do with me liking it or not.

Not worth explaining my point. I encourage you to travel and live other places, especially while you're young. It gives you perspective.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:36 (4035 days ago) @ Kermit

Not worth explaining my point. I encourage you to travel and live other places, especially while you're young. It gives you perspective.

If you're not going to explain your point then why bother making it? I don't understand what one person thinks of Seattle has to do with me. Different people like different places to live. One of my worries is that I'll have to move to LA in the future, and I know I'll just dread it there for the weather and because I'm not too fond of living in cities from what I've experienced.

I don't like living in NC; you and some others do. What's the problem here?

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:00 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

If you're not going to explain your point then why bother making it? I don't understand what one person thinks of Seattle has to do with me. Different people like different places to live. One of my worries is that I'll have to move to LA in the future, and I know I'll just dread it there for the weather and because I'm not too fond of living in cities from what I've experienced.

I think his point was something like "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence", and I think he didn't explain it because he's not interested in an argument.

Yep.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:14 (4035 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:23 (4035 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I think his point was something like "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence", and I think he didn't explain it because he's not interested in an argument.

I wasn't interested in talking about my feelings for NC either, but here we are. People have been jumping down my throat for only speaking about my experiences in the state.

I apologize that I don't think NC's that great!

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:26 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

I apologize that I don't think NC's that great!

... finally talking some sense

Your opinions are bad, and you should feel bad!! /zoidberg_yelling.jpg

;-)

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:34 (4035 days ago) @ JDQuackers

... finally talking some sense

Your opinions are bad, and you should feel bad!! /zoidberg_yelling.jpg

;-)

I shall endeavor to keep that in mind when posting from now on. :P

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:14 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

I wasn't interested in talking about my feelings for NC either, but here we are. People have been jumping down my throat for only speaking about my experiences in the state.

I didn't jump down your throat. I'd say I tried to express another perspective in a kind manner. Not kind enough, I guess.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:18 (4035 days ago) @ Kermit

I think she was referring to me. I'll take the blame, because "if you're runnin' down my country, hoss, you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me"

;-D

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:33 (4035 days ago) @ Kermit

I didn't jump down your throat. I'd say I tried to express another perspective in a kind manner. Not kind enough, I guess.

I never said you or anyone in particular did. Seems I'm terrible at expressing myself properly today. What I meant was that so many people, it seems to me, are taking issue with my dislike for NC, that having to defend my dislike so much today it feels like people are jumping down my throat.

You can like NC! I don't. It's cool.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 15:54 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

I want to tell you a story, but I'd rather not here. E-mail me if you're interested.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 12:38 (4034 days ago) @ Dax01

You can like NC! I don't. It's cool.

I was going to e-mail you a story, but here goes. It was about moving somewhere when I was 21, and hating it, and telling everyone who'd listen how much I hated it. You know what? Everyone thought I was an asshole, and they were right.

So back to your point. It's not really cool to say you hate a state in front of people who have chosen to call it home. It's rude, like insulting someone's mother.

My advice: if you have to move to LA, keep your feelings about it to yourself if you want to make any friends.

21/F/Wilmington, NC sux

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:19 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

I durrmand that you change your name!

21/F/Wilmington, NC sux

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:33 (4035 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

I durrmand that you change your name!

I disagree that Wilmington sucks (it's okay). Why should I change my name?

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:36 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

Did I insult you or something?

Yes, actually. I find the idea that someone doesn't like my current home state insulting. I know that may sound weird, but as a Durham resident I have to put up with a lot of insults towards where I choose to make a home and raise a family, and it's very tiresome. I know you didn't directly imply anything about where I specifically live, but I find it crazy that you could say that the entire state has nothing to offer you if you've only ever lived in Wilmington (which I'm only assuming, but it certainly sounds that way).

I've lived in NC for seventeen years, dude. I can say anything about the state I damn well please. It's too conservative for my tastes and it doesn't offer me anything.

Again, please be specific. Wilmington does not represent all of NC. The Triangle area and the are around Asheville are very much different from you are seeing.

What I love most about NC is that I can drive 2 hours and be in the Mountains, and enjoy those beautiful and gorgeous Smokys. Or I can drive 2 hours and be at the beach. Yet I can still live in one of the most progressive and culturally diverse areas to pursue the career that I want to pursue. If you're into technology or entrepreneurial shit, the Triangle area is one of the best places to be in the country. Especially because the weather is amazing, and you don't have to deal with gray dreary weather that you'll find in the North East or Pacific North West of the country, which I find to be horrifically depressing.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:46 (4035 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Yes, actually. I find the idea that someone doesn't like my current home state insulting. I know that may sound weird, but as a Durham resident I have to put up with a lot of insults towards where I choose to make a home and raise a family, and it's very tiresome. I know you didn't directly imply anything about where I specifically live, but I find it crazy that you could say that the entire state has nothing to offer you if you've only ever lived in Wilmington (which I'm only assuming, but it certainly sounds that way).

Why would you assume that? I've been living in Wilmington for the past three years and went to elementary, middle, and high school in Apex and Cary. I've been to Asheville a couple of times. I find your position that I can't form an opinion about an entire state if I haven't lived in every corner of it a bit ridiculous. I can like/love a certain area of a state while not thinking much of the entire state as a whole. I heard Austin is pretty cool, but I don't think too highly of Texas.

You can't force someone to like where you live.

Again, please be specific. Wilmington does not represent all of NC. The Triangle area and the are around Asheville are very much different from you are seeing.

I want to go into film and the screenwriting business. What does NC offer me in that regard? Can't make it in the TV writing business by sticking here.

What I love most about NC is that I can drive 2 hours and be in the Mountains, and enjoy those beautiful and gorgeous Smokys. Or I can drive 2 hours and be at the beach. Yet I can still live in one of the most progressive and culturally diverse areas to pursue the career that I want to pursue. If you're into technology or entrepreneurial shit, the Triangle area is one of the best places to be in the country. Especially because the weather is amazing, and you don't have to deal with gray dreary weather that you'll find in the North East or Pacific North West of the country, which I find to be horrifically depressing.

That's cool. I'm glad you enjoy it here. Personally, I LOVE grey, dreary weather. Rainy days are the best; I'm not too fond of sunny days.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:50 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

Why would you assume that? I've been living in Wilmington for the past three years and went to elementary, middle, and high school in Apex and Cary.

That's cool. Personally, I LOVE grey, dreary weather. Rainy days are the best; I'm not too fond of sunny days.

Fair enough, then. In case you can't tell, I vehemently love NC, and especially the Bull City. Coming from PA it's just an entirely different world, but I don't have the same perspectives as you.

So many people from NC

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:57 (4035 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Seriously it seems like 10% of Borgs are from NC. No wonder you all have more events in the east.

So many people from NC

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:36 (4035 days ago) @ Xenos

Seriously it seems like 10% of Borgs are from NC. No wonder you all have more events in the east.

Move to North Carolina. Resistance is futile. Unless you're playing Ingress, then in that case, Resistance is necessary and the Enlightened eat boogers.

So many people from NC

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:39 (4035 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Move to North Carolina. Resistance is futile. Unless you're playing Ingress, then in that case, Resistance is necessary and the Enlightened eat boogers.

I would if I didn't have a good job here! Also, if I want to work for Bungie they don't exactly have an office in NC.

So many people from NC

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:43 (4035 days ago) @ Xenos

You could always work for Epic or Insomniac games! They both do development here in good ol' North Cackalacky ;-)

There's also a Google campus in Chapel Hill, or you could work for SAS, IBM or GE Propulsion. Lots of big names here in the Triangle, and they're hungry for technically skilled people.

So many people from NC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:10 (4035 days ago) @ JDQuackers
edited by Kermit, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:21

What JDQ said. I think it's still true that the area in which he and I live has the highest concentration of PhDs in the country.

Bungie doesn't have an office here yet, but world domination is coming. :)

Honestly, though, as long as there is a decent university close by to support some variety of cultural offerings, I'd be pretty happy anywhere, weather notwithstanding.

Maybe I've got some sensitivity about this, but I certainly find generalizations about regions (and the people who live there) to be off-putting.

So many people from NC

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 07:27 (4034 days ago) @ Kermit

Maybe I've got some sensitivity about this, but I certainly find generalizations about regions (and the people who live there) to be off-putting.

And CANADA IS THE BEST EVAR!!

So many people from NC

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, March 11, 2013, 17:30 (4035 days ago) @ Xenos

I would if I didn't have a good job here! Also, if I want to work for Bungie they don't exactly have an office in NC.

Man, if only. They'd either have to hire me or file a restraining order.

So many people from NC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 11, 2013, 18:12 (4035 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Man, if only. They'd either have to hire me or file a restraining order.

Heh. I've had similar thoughts.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:15 (4035 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Fair enough, then. In case you can't tell, I vehemently love NC, and especially the Bull City. Coming from PA it's just an entirely different world, but I don't have the same perspectives as you.

I can tell! I wasn't out to insult anyone here from NC if I gave off the impression, and I do apologize if you took offense. I was simply talking about my own experiences.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:49 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

That's cool. I'm glad you enjoy it here. Personally, I LOVE grey, dreary weather. Rainy days are the best; I'm not too fond of sunny days.

Thunderstorms* are the best thing in the world.

*Not severe thunderstorms, those are the scariest thing in the world.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:58 (4035 days ago) @ stabbim

Mm. I love thunderstorms. Seems like for years now we hardly get any thunderstorms here in North Carolina. Just rain. It's sad. :(

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 11, 2013, 15:57 (4035 days ago) @ stabbim

Thunderstorms* are the best thing in the world.

*Not severe thunderstorms, those are the scariest thing in the world.

Thunderstorms are really awesome in the purest sense of the word. A thunderclap (not thunder, mind you) is one of the feel things that hits me way down on my primitive side.

And I love seeing dem lightnings.

Still, they are usually followed by loss of power and/or internet where I live, so I generally despise them.

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:48 (4035 days ago) @ JDQuackers

...and you don't have to deal with gray dreary weather that you'll find in the North East or Pacific North West of the country, which I find to be horrifically depressing.

So THAT is why I'm always depressed! I knew my therapist was wrong! ;)

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:51 (4035 days ago) @ Dax01

BTW, is your name referring to the DS9 character or something else?

21/F/Wilmington, NC

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:59 (4035 days ago) @ stabbim

When I made my original gamertag – "Dax01" – I was thinking of Dax from Jak and Daxter. But DS9 is my favorite show of anything ever, so it worked out well like that.

22 / M / Pennsylbama

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 09:14 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I believe I'm one of the few BOrgs from the Keystone state, but I've been wrong before.

First played Halo in 2006 when I thought Halo 2 looked cool after watching some Red vs Blue. Didn't truly get into it until Halo 3 made it's march upon my sanity (Believe!)

Then I didn't get into HBO until ODST-ish time, and I'm glad I did. This community is truly awesome and the reason I spend a ton of time and money getting to Seattle and LANs every year.

Age range *OT*

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 10:01 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

32. I learned about Halo through a link to HBO in early 2002. Posted back then as Boss "Wart" Hogg. I went off on some adventures around Halo 2 time but then came back as bluerunner. Been here ever since.

Age range *OT*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 18:57 (4036 days ago) @ bluerunner

32. I learned about Halo through a link to HBO in early 2002. Posted back then as Boss "Wart" Hogg. I went off on some adventures around Halo 2 time but then came back as bluerunner. Been here ever since.

Heh. I remember that name.

I've roamed these halls since Dec. 2003...

by Jak Redlevske, South of I-10, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 10:28 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm 23. Been a Halo nut since the release of the original game. Stumbled across HBO through the (now defunct?) glitches & tricks section. Am VERY excited about Destiny, and to be a part of the b.org community as a new universe is revealed before us.

I've roamed these halls since Dec. 2003...

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:50 (4036 days ago) @ Jak Redlevske

I'm 23. Been a Halo nut since the release of the original game. Stumbled across HBO through the (now defunct?) glitches & tricks section. Am VERY excited about Destiny, and to be a part of the b.org community as a new universe is revealed before us.

Nope. (JDQuackers revived it late last year, I think.)

Nostalgic.

by Jak Redlevske, South of I-10, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 20:00 (4036 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Can we use scientific notation?

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 10:40 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

33/M/London, UK

by kapowaz, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 10:43 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

…I feel dirty, writing that.

22/M/Seattle-Chicago

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 11:46 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Coincidentally, this question is (indirectly) part of my French homework for tomorrow:

Une de mes passions est de jeu vidéo Halo. Il y a dix ans, je n'ai pas eu un Xbox, mais je suis visité souvent mon ami, qui a joué souvent. J’ai regardé, et j’ai l’intrigue et les graphiques colorés. L’année suivante, je suis allé à un lycée avec Xboxes, et nous avons eu des tournements tous le jour, et j’ai aimé le jeu, aussi. Il y a six ans, j’ai trouvé le site des fans de Halo premier, et j’ai commencé à le lire chaque jour. Au fil des ans, j’ai apprécié tous les nouveaux matériels – les livres, la fanfiction, et particulièrement les nouveaux jeux. Malheureusement, je n'ai pas aimé autant que les autres, donc je me suis un peu ennuyé de Halo. Mais j'ai encore les plus de dix ans de Halo à retenir.

Joined HBO in 2006, after reading about it constantly as a reference on some other Halo fan site. Here on DBO because I like the Bungie.org community, Bungie has my trust (if not yet my attention), and like seeing my DBO Forum Enhancer userscript (to be published soon) in action.

22/M/Seattle-Chicago

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:49 (4035 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

Coincidentally, this question is (indirectly) part of my French homework for tomorrow:

Une de mes passions est de jeu vidéo Halo. Il y a dix ans, je n'ai pas eu un Xbox, mais je suis visité souvent mon ami, qui a joué souvent. J’ai regardé, et j’ai l’intrigue et les graphiques colorés. L’année suivante, je suis allé à un lycée avec Xboxes, et nous avons eu des tournements tous le jour, et j’ai aimé le jeu, aussi. Il y a six ans, j’ai trouvé le site des fans de Halo premier, et j’ai commencé à le lire chaque jour. Au fil des ans, j’ai apprécié tous les nouveaux matériels – les livres, la fanfiction, et particulièrement les nouveaux jeux. Malheureusement, je n'ai pas aimé autant que les autres, donc je me suis un peu ennuyé de Halo. Mais j'ai encore les plus de dix ans de Halo à retenir.

Joined HBO in 2006, after reading about it constantly as a reference on some other Halo fan site. Here on DBO because I like the Bungie.org community, Bungie has my trust (if not yet my attention), and like seeing my DBO Forum Enhancer userscript (to be published soon) in action.

Seattle originating from Chicago, or Chicago after Seattle? Greetings from dupage.

22/M/Seattle-Chicago

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:34 (4035 days ago) @ Mercury

Seattle originating from Chicago, or Chicago after Seattle? Greetings from dupage.

Born and technically live in Seattle. But I go to school in Chicago, and don't live in a college neighborhood.

So, hmmm...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 11, 2013, 15:59 (4035 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

You commute from Seattle to Chicago on a daily basis?!

So, hmmm...

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Monday, March 11, 2013, 23:47 (4035 days ago) @ ZackDark

You commute from Seattle to Chicago on a daily basis?!

Lol, no. When in Chicago, I live in West Rogers Park. (over a half hour drive away from school.) But I still summer and file taxes back "home". My relative attachment to Seattle was also weakened by seven years in boarding school... #itscomplicated

Age range *OT*

by electricpirate @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 12:55 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

30, M Brooklyn Ny

Been around here off and on for 16 years. Never with a consistent username. Goddamn!

18/M/Texas

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 13:37 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm 18, started playing Halo way back with my cousin Alex in 2001 when it launched. I've followed HBO for about 3 years. I played my first non-Halo Bungie game back in 2003 with Marathon :) I've been a bungie diehard most of my life.

21/m/CA *NM*

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 14:31 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

lol. a/s/l?

22/M/UK

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:02 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm kinda surprised how many people are close to my age - when we weren't even teenagers when the first Halo released!

25/M/SoCal

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 18:14 (4036 days ago) @ RC
edited by Stephen Laughlin, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:06

I'm kinda surprised how many people are close to my age - when we weren't even teenagers when the first Halo released!

It's pretty trippy going back and reading posts I made on Halo fansites during the early 2000s when I was in my early teens. I mean, we were literally little kids.

I got into the Bungie community after coming across a video of the Macworld Halo demonstration back in '99 or early 2000. I remember the moment I found the Marathon Story Page, I was fucking hooked. I posted as "Skeletor" a lot at BG:H (now defunct) and then HBO until about 2007 when I went to college. Graduated last year with a degree in music.

Yeah, it's pretty cool!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:24 (4036 days ago) @ RC

It's nice having the elders watching over as well. The different perspectives that old age bring are quite enlightening, as well as entertaining.

by Jillybean, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:21 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Every second closer to decreptitudity.

29/M/China

by iZac, Shanghai, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 18:24 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax
edited by iZac, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 18:46

*sigh* I'm getting old ...

mis-spent my youth making Marathon maps where you slaughtered BOBs...

An old, gray 31. Chicago

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:10 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

And I would like to give a big WELCOME to any new fans who have joined the family for Destiny!

I played a few of the Mac games at friends' houses and loved 'em. Started lurking after Halo:CE in '01-'02ish. Been sporadically posting for almost a decade now.

24/M/Michigan

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 20:22 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax
edited by General Vagueness, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 21:09

In the late summer of 2007, I got an original Xbox, along with some games for it that I'd heard were good. One of them was Halo. I played it and I liked it, and after I played it again something clicked and I knew it was one of my favorite games ever. That's when I became a Halo fan. The manual listed some websites and that was the same time my family got an Internet connection again (we'd had one before but for a few months at a time and I think it was the first time we'd had broadband) I was looking for things to do with it, so I checked them out. One of those sites was HBO. I checked it a few times over the next few months but it didn't grab me. I got Halo 2 for Christmas that year. At some point I thought I should finish the first game on Legendary before I did something in Halo 2 (what it was, I forget), and I wound up using the walkthrough on HBO. That brought me in more and after a while I started lurking the forum. Then I saw on X-Play they were having a contest related to Halo, and I sent in that info through e-mail and it was on the front page within a day. After a few more days of lurking I introduced myself and no one replied, so I mostly lurked until about 2 months later. I'd say I became a Bungie fan when I finally downloaded Marathon and got it set up and played it and decided I liked it too; it looks like that was in spring or early summer of 2011.

28/M/Durham, NC

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 21:06 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

<3 Bull City

I played a little Myth on my cousin's computer, but never owned it myself to experience it in its full glory. My first good experience with a Bungie game was Halo when the Xbox launched. It sold me on the console, and the weekly lan parties are the most memorable part of my high school days.

My friends and I would browse the HBO tips and tricks section almost religiously to learn cool things to do in the game, and I always associated that section as the heart of HBO until about 2007 or 2008 when I finally decided to start posting on the forums.

I'm excited to see where the next 10 years lead us with Destiny, and I'm glad to be starting this new journey with all of you lovely borgs

27/M/Seattle

by Tails @, Across the Pond, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 22:29 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Spent my first 25 years in the UK though :)

Had played Myth a little bit but became a proper Bungie fan when I first got Halo around 15. Little did I know the company that took so many hours of my youth would give me a job 10 years later and take a whole lot of hours from my adult life too!

Awesome!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:55 (4035 days ago) @ Tails

- No text -

So old I can't remember

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 22:56 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Where am I?

24/F/Jefferson City, MO

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Monday, March 11, 2013, 05:28 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I've been into Halo since 2003 and ended up joining Bungie.net a year later (and HBO sometime around that same timeframe).

Definitely been a gamer my whole life, and the Halo community is an extended family to me. Y'all are the best.

Age range *OT*

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, March 11, 2013, 06:51 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

32. I found HBO somewhere around the middle-end of Halo 3's life (HBO archives say that my first post was 8/26/09), lurked for about 6 months, then decided to join.

My Bungie fandom came somewhere around 2005 when my buddy made me sit down and co-op the Halo 1 campaign with him. At that time, I was a Nintendo fan boy and didn't have an Xbox so I had only heard of Halo through bits of convos with friends. I bought my first Xbox to coincide with the launch of Halo 2 and I've been a Bungie fan ever since.

- CC

34/M/Southern Ontario/Canaduh

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Monday, March 11, 2013, 07:27 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Been around since before Halo. I was going to buy a PS2, but heard of Xbox and was awed by Halo, so decided to go against the flow and wait for the X. Best decision I made in gaming :) Beta tester for XBL too. Now own a PS3, Wii and 360 (and the original Xbox, transparent green edition) - though I haven't touched my Wii in ages *ahem*

I missed out on the Cortana Letters (my current gaming site was teamxbox.com, and hadn't really started following Bungie until later), but I Love Bees re-invigorated, and solidifed, my love for Halo after Halo 1 was released.

/briefoverviewofthebruce

Charlie Conway, Minneapolis, Minnesota

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:07 (4036 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

26/M/Spokane, US

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:50 (4035 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Played some Myth back in the day. Heard about Marathon. Was excited for ONI. Played the snot out of Halo.

Found HBO sometime between 2001 and 2002 I believe. Discovered it through the Front Page of all things, didn't know about the forum till at least a year later. I used HBO like a news-site. Eventually posted some stuff on fan-fiction Fridays under the name "Delta-(some number, can't remember)". Found the forum and lurked for quite a while, eventually posting under a couple different versions of "Chewbaccawakka" as my gamertag changed with the times.

Mostly been around since. Like many, excited to be here at the beginning of a new Errera (heh).

26/M/Spokane, US

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:53 (4035 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Like many, excited to be here at the beginning of a new Errera (heh).

I don't understand.

26/M/Spokane, US

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, March 11, 2013, 13:20 (4035 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Perhaps a poorly phrased presentation of a pun.

I started to type "beginning of a new era" but accidentally added a 'r'.

Got me thinking about how Wu returned to his given name of Claude Errera with the advent of DBO, or a new Errera.

Unfunny? Perhaps. But my specialty actually happens to be dumb jokes.

26/M/Spokane, US

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, March 11, 2013, 16:47 (4035 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Dude, I love de puns. I say keep 'em coming. And you live in Spokane! Finally someone nearby!

26/M/Spokane, US

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, March 11, 2013, 23:04 (4035 days ago) @ Mr Daax

THANK you! I'm glad they're appreciated, heh. And a DBO'r who's also in Spokanistan?!

Crazy! We should get together sometime! I live up on Western South Hill.

26/M/Spokane, US

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 01:55 (4035 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

I'm in the Valley, and a meetup would be awesome!

Age range *OT*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 13:04 (4035 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm 27. I fell in love with Halo:CE shortly after it was released (it would have been during my junior year of high school) and I started playing it at a friend's house. Each day for several weeks, during lunch break I'd leave school (we were allowed to if we had a driver's license) and go to his house, letting myself in with the hidden key, and play through a bit more of the campaign. I finished it, but didn't want to stop playing, and as soon as I was able I bought my own XBox and a fresh copy of Halo. I had always played video games, sometimes even to excess, but this was the time when I decided I was a gamer.

My Bungie fandom didn't start until around 2003 or 2004, after I'd gone off to college, played some LAN multiplayer, and learned about all the cool tricks people were doing, and things like Red vs. Blue. Naturally, somewhere along the way I ended up at HBO (it's hard to remember precisely when) and started following the news there during the lead-up to Halo 4. Hardcore fandom like that was new to me, so starting with the Halo 4 lead-up, things like I Love Bees and the massive hype, left a major impression. Bungie's attitude toward their fans left an impression as well - I smile every time I see one of them post here. They can't say much right now, but it's nice to know they're around.

Age range *OT*

by Hunted54, Monday, March 11, 2013, 16:40 (4035 days ago) @ Mr Daax

58 started with ce on the pc.

Freshly 26/M/Minas Tirith of the Midwest

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, March 11, 2013, 23:49 (4035 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Freshly 26/M/Minas Tirith of the Midwest

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 15:06 (4030 days ago) @ Leviathan

I see what you did there.

Age range *OT*

by Wakko45, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 15:16 (4030 days ago) @ Mr Daax

19 from New England. Sophomore in college. I started playing Halo: CE when it first came out at my cousins' house and then I bought it for myself soon after. I was big into Halo: PC for a while until eventually moving on to Halo 3. I've always known of bungie.org but never really visited or joined.

Now that Destiny is coming out and I am more excited about it than I have been for any other game I decided it would be a good idea to join this as it was starting up so I can become a productive member of the community!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread