Speculation thread [img heavy]

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 05:42 (4064 days ago)

I've noticed a dearth of actual speculation so far. Seems unusual for the bungie.org community. So, I'm rectifying that! : )

I've gathered a variety of concept art, mostly from Bungie.net, but some from google, showcasing elements of Destiny. The goal of this thread is for us to speculate, collaborate and share ideas on what we think this or that means.

For the concept art and screenshots directly from Bungie, I've included the title.

Captain
[image]

Cassini Derelict
[image]

Citadel
[image]

Dark Patrol
[image]

Exclusion Zone
[image]

Fallen
[image]

Fireteam
[image]

Garden
[image]

Ghost Town
[image]

Guardians
[image]

Hellmouth
[image]

Mars
[image]

Ocean of Storms
[image]

Pike
[image]

Traveler's Rest
[image]

Vault
[image]

Vex
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Have at 'em

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 05:51 (4064 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Alright, getting things started:

Something I noticed immediately were Hellmouth and Ocean of Storms. Possibly the same location from different angles. The structures seem relatively similar, the giant opening in the ground is in approximately the right place, both have roughly the same palette, and both feature floating rocks.

In Hellmouth, a mist can be seen drifting down the large structure. I'm not entirely sure what that might be - probably not oxygen (I think the gravity may be too weak to hold onto it so well). Perhaps CO2 or moon dust.

by GauntMkII, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 05:56 (4064 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Looks like moon dust to me, which implies the shaft has only just opened up (no wind or anything to shift piles of dust like that on the moon).

Maybe those rocks aren't floating, but are being tossed up by whatever mechanisms are opening the hellmouth up?

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 06:00 (4064 days ago) @ GauntMkII

Perhaps. In regards to what the Hellmouth actually is, I'm betting on borehole.

The actual structure itself seems oddly in-human. I get the feeling we didn't put it there.

Also interesting to note are the ruins in the concept art. They look like the crumbled foundations of human buildings on Earth, which is rather interesting as that's probably not how you'd really want to build things on the Moon.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 20:23 (4063 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Something I noticed immediately were Hellmouth and Ocean of Storms. Possibly the same location from different angles. The structures seem relatively similar, the giant opening in the ground is in approximately the right place, both have roughly the same palette, and both feature floating rocks.

I think the IGN guys in their post-reveal show may have mentioned that both of those shots are, in fact, on the Moon.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, March 11, 2013, 07:45 (4063 days ago) @ narcogen

I think the IGN guys in their post-reveal show may have mentioned that both of those shots are, in fact, on the Moon.

Makes sense; given that there is a real Ocean of Storms on the Moon and that the setting looks like a fractured version of what we saw in Apollo pictures, I'd be perfectly willing to accept that.

-- Steve's wondering if the Bungie guys are planning anything special set up in Tycho. So many possibilities...

by zumphry ⌂ @, Monday, March 11, 2013, 09:04 (4063 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

-- Steve's wondering if the Bungie guys are planning anything special set up in Tycho. So many possibilities...

• 2001 Monolith that when you go up to it, you can punch a switch and play the Vidmaster levels from Marathon: Infinity.
  • Ship flies/hangs overhead and etches "Fatum Iustum Stultorum" over your (now dead) body. (if you didn't punch the switch, and just flipped it then this would happen)
  • In-Game browser pops up and goes to "http://penny-arcade.com/comic"
  • You reach the middle of the crater and you die with a message from Bungie saying "What were you expecting? Oh, by the way, we've deleted ALL of your progress. Nerd."
  • A Capella version of the "D U R A N D A L" song, but as "T Y C H O" instead (written by special musical guest Ringo Starr).

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, March 11, 2013, 20:52 (4062 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Have fun, but please don't start a "Destiny takes place in the Marathon universe" thread...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 20:56 (4062 days ago) @ narcogen

Have fun, but please don't start a "Destiny takes place in the Marathon universe" thread...

Probably still better than the "Destiny is the prequel to Halo" threads

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 06:15 (4060 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Probably still better than the "Destiny is the prequel to Halo" threads

Those exist?

Urgh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 11, 2013, 21:00 (4062 days ago) @ narcogen

I don't know, "You are Destiny" seems pretty convincing. :p

Spoiler: Traveler is actually the Security Officer

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 07:59 (4062 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

I think Destiny is a pretty cool guy

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 09:30 (4062 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

He saves the humans and doesn't afraid of anything.

by GauntMkII, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 05:52 (4064 days ago) @ Reconcilliation
edited by GauntMkII, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 05:56

Not sure if this counts as speculation strictly, but - I look at the "Cassini Derelict" piece and my first thought is "zero-gravity spaceship wreck exploration". I have no idea if it'd be within the scope of Destiny's engine, but I'm imaging a mechanic like Dead Space 2's zero-g segments, or that defunct space-FPS game that was a thing about a year ago.

Coming up alongside the wreck in your personal ship, inspecting it from the outside, popping a hatch and jetting over to climb into a hole in the hull, all while some creepy music from Marty plays in the background. That would be awesome.

Three words.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:20 (4063 days ago) @ GauntMkII

Jetpacks in zero-g.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 04:16 (4061 days ago) @ GauntMkII

There was a level like this for Star Wars Republic Commando where you had to investigate a derelict star destroyer. I imagine this derelict will be from the previous age of humans, like today if we explored a derelict VW Microbus.

I need to give that game another shot...

by Lurono @, Oklahoma, USA, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 19:08 (4060 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

There was a level like this for Star Wars Republic Commando where you had to investigate a derelict star destroyer. I imagine this derelict will be from the previous age of humans, like today if we explored a derelict VW Microbus.

Last tune I tried Republic Commando I couldn't really get into it. The kind of games I play has expanded a lot since then, though, so I wonder if it would be worth looking for a copy...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 19:21 (4060 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

like today if we explored a derelict VW Microbus.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I see those literally every day, give or take 10 days an year.

And now I'm depressed.

DAT VAULT

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, March 10, 2013, 09:06 (4064 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

I get a very strong Star Wars Ralph McQuarrie vibe from it.

I wonder what in that vault is actually still valuable for mankind. The gold (?) in the room is obviously not at all attractive to the Guardians there, so what is?

DAT VAULT

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 10:07 (4064 days ago) @ ZackDark

The Vault is by far my favourite of the images released so far.

There seems to be some metal scraps in there, rather than just gold. I think finding tech from a time gone by would be something of value, whether it's something still usable, or a step toward learning about humanity's past, and throughout the golden age.

DAT VAULT

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Sunday, March 10, 2013, 13:46 (4063 days ago) @ ZackDark

I wonder what in that vault is actually still valuable for mankind. The gold (?) in the room is obviously not at all attractive to the Guardians there, so what is?

Au contr...I give up. I can barely use English, let alone other language word things.

Anyway, if they're reproducing high-tech weapons from the Traveller, then it's still entirely possible that gold is still valuable. I remember back in the days where laptops were oversized word processors, there was a nation in Europe (which escapes me) that was making a pretty hefty profit from recycling PCs. My memory thing is foggy, but I think it was something like "get a gold coin out of ten computers."

Gold is still used in a great deal of high tech devices, but we have streamlined the process quite a bit so far less is used. That said, there's no telling how much might be handy in reverse-engineering Traveler weapons or the like. You can't expect all palladium and fun metals in everything.

As mentioned by others, it could be a place to store any metals that are found in the offhand chance that "HEY THIS IS USEFUL." Gold may be useful and collected, but only finding out later that "Yeah, but only in minute quantities."

Then there's also the fact that a society needs money. This is one thing that the Spanish anarchists (who desperately tried to disband it) quickly found out: you need a way to put value on the the work that you do. And, sadly, that money needs to have something to back it up. A precious metal with little industrial use is handy for that. (Though the feudal Japanese method of basing their monetary system off of enough rice to live by was a rather ingenious way of doing it.)

If you ever get the chance, read Connections by James Burke. It has a rather wonderful passage on how gold and the discovery of the testing properties of schist (aka touchstone) completely revolutionized money, politics, industry, warfare, science, and pretty much Western civilization.

Anyway, back on target.

There's also the fact that it's arguably pretty. If there's a ruling class that's into that, this may be their Scrooge McDuck room. I would not suggest diving in. Owie. Seriously, cartoon physics man.

Finally, that one pic gives me the most shades of Marathon out of all of them. I just look at it and grin. Some of the statues(?) in the background give me flashbacks to one certain piece of concept art...

Holy crap I use way too many words and ramble too much.

DEM CONNECTIONS

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 15:21 (4063 days ago) @ Dagoonite

- No text -

DAT VAULT

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, March 10, 2013, 17:56 (4063 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Ah, but I do understand how gold is economically valuable to us. It was a pretty major point my school tried to push me.

What I meant, is that their (the Guardians in the image) reaction to the piles of gold seem very... underwhelming. So it is either of very low-value to them, or very low-value to them in contrast to what else is possibly in the vault.

And that is what makes my imagination go wild.

But yes, I did need a refresher on the importance of gold in modern technology.

DAT VAULT

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 18:24 (4063 days ago) @ ZackDark

Ah, but I do understand how gold is economically valuable to us. It was a pretty major point my school tried to push me.

What I meant, is that their (the Guardians in the image) reaction to the piles of gold seem very... underwhelming. So it is either of very low-value to them, or very low-value to them in contrast to what else is possibly in the vault.

And that is what makes my imagination go wild.

But yes, I did need a refresher on the importance of gold in modern technology.

Their reaction to the piles of gold is intentional, I think. Look at where the figure is walking in the image - not toward any gold or jewelry, but to a mechanical/electronic device with wires coming out of it.

They're not looking for gold, lost technology on the other hand...

DAT VAULT

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:01 (4063 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

All right. Assuming that's true, then who does want a vault of traditional treasure and gold? Is this just an ancient human vault? Or is it a vault of human stuff kept by some of the aliens? I find the latter to be the more interesting idea. Maybe our destruction isn't the only goal of the forces attacking us! Maybe they want to profit too?

DAT VAULT

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:15 (4063 days ago) @ Ragashingo

All right. Assuming that's true, then who does want a vault of traditional treasure and gold? Is this just an ancient human vault? Or is it a vault of human stuff kept by some of the aliens? I find the latter to be the more interesting idea. Maybe our destruction isn't the only goal of the forces attacking us! Maybe they want to profit too?

I'd wager a human vault. Saving things from the impending catacylsm? Seems a bit odd to just dump technology into a room full of gold like that, it conjures up images of The Hobbit and Smaug's vast piles of treasure. A fantasy element in sci-fi.

I noticed the floor has a smooth grid-like pattern to it which eventually breaks along the edges. Seems a little more modernish than other parts of the architecture implies.

I wonder just how long it's been, exactly, since humanity was nearly wiped out. A lot of the artwork implies something longer than just a generation or two, and it's been stated that the remaining humans don't know what did us in.

Help the Crow loot the Academy archive

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:22 (4063 days ago) @ Ragashingo

One of the mobile app shots from the ViDoc reveals a mission that reads:

GAIN FAVOR WITH THE QUEEN
Venus, Shores of Time

With the use of the word "Queen" I assume there's some kind of monarchy going on there (New Monarchy?). Perhaps whatever sort of society exists on Venus has reverted to a form of feudalism where imagery reminiscent of medieval Europe like giant vaults full of gold wouldn't feel out of place.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:41 (4063 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Hmm. We don't actually know that all humans outside of The Last City died do we? I mean if we don't even know what knocked us down then how do we know we're all that's left? Could be where a monarchy powerful enough to get Traveler powered Guardians to help it came from. That or perhaps not all the aliens are out for our heads?

DAT VAULT

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:23 (4063 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Holy crap I use way too many words and ramble too much.

Nah you're fine.

I on the other hand have a terrible problem.

(One day we will, meet again in person, and hardly say sentences to each other! ^_^ )

DAT VAULT

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:57 (4063 days ago) @ Revenant1988

(One day we will, meet again in person, and hardly say sentences to each other! ^_^ )

I expect us to nod and grunt a lot. Very eloquent communication, that. XD

DAT VAULT

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, March 11, 2013, 07:34 (4063 days ago) @ Dagoonite

I expect us to nod and grunt a lot. Very eloquent communication, that. XD

Better than all the expletives, I'm sure. Then again, a lot of that WAS Padraigs fault... him and his trolling ways.

When in doubt...

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:53 (4062 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Blame EVERYTHING on Paddy.

Yes, even that.

That, too.

...Okay, maybe that's a little too far. Honestly, I think the writers were at fault for that.

Padraig was worried

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 04:27 (4061 days ago) @ Dagoonite

- No text -

DAT VAULT

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 04:25 (4061 days ago) @ Dagoonite

What if, all the weapons the enemies carried were taken from dead guardians, reverse engineered, and now like the dark jedi of guns. then you pick it up and convert it to your liking, and the gun gets a name like "Fool me once"

You could potentially stack this ranking by dropping the weapon near enemies for them to pick up and use, then kill them. And as you kill them it would increment names like:

Fool me twice
Won't get fooled again

by zumphry ⌂ @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 11:24 (4064 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

I've noticed a dearth of actual speculation so far. Seems unusual for the bungie.org community. So, I'm rectifying that! : )

I've gathered a variety of concept art, mostly from Bungie.net, but some from google, showcasing elements of Destiny. The goal of this thread is for us to speculate, collaborate and share ideas on what we think this or that means.

For the concept art and screenshots directly from Bungie, I've included the title.

Mars
[image]

I'm probably reaching here, but those orb like structures (greenhouses? anger domes?!) kinda remind me of the shots of the windmills and the battered orb structures from O Brave New World:

[image]

[image]

Though, as Duncan pointed out (since I yoinked those images from him), that first image is from Bungie's Siggraph ’09 presentation, Lighting Research at Bungie, so those could've just been made to show lighting through moving structures (windmills) and structures that were partiality destroyed (orb structures).

...OR Mars has/had windmills for power because it's a desolate wasteland and orb like greenhouses so the people that lived there could have some sort of vegetation for self-sustaining themselves. The windmills' power lines even somewhat match the power lines connecting the buildings there in the concept art.

So maybe orb like structures are prevalent throughout Mars for its aesthetic/background (or that crack I just [figuratively] smoked was really good)?

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 18:32 (4063 days ago) @ zumphry

I'm probably reaching here, but those orb like structures (greenhouses? anger domes?!) kinda remind me of the shots of the windmills and the battered orb structures from O Brave New World:

[image]

[image]

Though, as Duncan pointed out (since I yoinked those images from him), that first image is from Bungie's Siggraph ’09 presentation, Lighting Research at Bungie, so those could've just been made to show lighting through moving structures (windmills) and structures that were partiality destroyed (orb structures).

...OR Mars has/had windmills for power because it's a desolate wasteland and orb like greenhouses so the people that lived there could have some sort of vegetation for self-sustaining themselves. The windmills' power lines even somewhat match the power lines connecting the buildings there in the concept art.

So maybe orb like structures are prevalent throughout Mars for its aesthetic/background (or that crack I just [figuratively] smoked was really good)?

Well, Mars has a very sparse atmosphere, I seriously doubt you'd get much energy with a windmill at those pressures. The image likely over-exaggerates the effect of sand buildup, that kind of movement of sand dunes probably doesn't happen on any sort of human timescales on Mars.

More striking to me were the dead-looking tree-things growing on parts of the building (in particular, the right hand side of the image). Lends some credence to a greenhouse somewhere inside. Makes me wonder what sort of things were being grown there, too.

Also, the way the image is put together makes me think of an artist taking an in-game screenshot of 3D assets, and then arting over those to help establish feel and aesthetics of the environment. A lot of the concept art seems to have this blend of 3D and 2D about it.

by zumphry ⌂ @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 20:52 (4063 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Well, Mars has a very sparse atmosphere, I seriously doubt you'd get much energy with a windmill at those pressures. The image likely over-exaggerates the effect of sand buildup, that kind of movement of sand dunes probably doesn't happen on any sort of human timescales on Mars.

Huh, didn't know Mars had a sparse atmosphere (or I forgot, I mean, I need to look at my underwear to remember what my name is), so I guess you do learn something new every day...

Still, I hope we do see windmills. Can't have too many windmills.

More striking to me were the dead-looking tree-things growing on parts of the building (in particular, the right hand side of the image). Lends some credence to a greenhouse somewhere inside. Makes me wonder what sort of things were being grown there, too.

Yeah, I thought I was pulling the whole greenhouse thing out of my butt, but then I noticed the trees growing. I wonder if those grew like that before they got exposed to the outside, or if they grew like that afterwards? The way they're overgrowing/"reclaiming" the building kinda suggests the latter.

Also, the way the image is put together makes me think of an artist taking an in-game screenshot of 3D assets, and then arting over those to help establish feel and aesthetics of the environment. A lot of the concept art seems to have this blend of 3D and 2D about it.

Heh, yeah. I seem to recall that becoming prevalent in Bungie's concept art around ODST. Though, if you look back at the storyboards for 1/2/3, there's parts where it looks like they dropped modeled objects into the scene. That's probably standard practice, but I think it looks cool.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 16:35 (4063 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

[image]

Even though it's an early piece of concept art, I am hoping that this image means that our characters will have faces that you can see at some point.

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 18:37 (4063 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

Even though it's an early piece of concept art, I am hoping that this image means that our characters will have faces that you can see at some point.

What immediately jumped out at me was the emblem on the tail of the space fighter. We already know space fighters are going to be a thing, but this also lends evidence to there being an emblem creator for Destiny, much like there was for Halo 2 onwards.

Also interesting to point out is that the space fighter does not have wheels, it has landing struts ending in pads. The image generally implies the idea that you can fly and land your space fighter anywhere, as opposed to needing some sort of runway for it.

This works well with everything else we know, such as being able to fly around the solar system visiting other planets and moons.

by pwncak3z, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 22:59 (4063 days ago) @ Xenos

well, the IGN article that came out a couple weeks ago said our guardians would be crazy customizable, and they specifically included "face" as a customization option... So yeah, I wouldn't be shocked haha

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, March 11, 2013, 00:31 (4063 days ago) @ pwncak3z

well, the IGN article that came out a couple weeks ago said our guardians would be crazy customizable, and they specifically included "face" as a customization option... So yeah, I wouldn't be shocked haha

Oooh yeah, didn't catch that before:

Besides unique weapons, every piece of your kit will be your own, from your helmet to your cape to your armor pieces to your face.

Dark Patrol

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:13 (4063 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Is it just me or are the bad guys in the Dark Patrol image all smoking or releasing some kind of... something? I hadn't noticed that before, but maybe it points to something more sinister about them? Well, more sinister than wanting to destroy humanity that is. :p

Dark Patrol

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:17 (4063 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Is it just me or are the bad guys in the Dark Patrol image all smoking or releasing some kind of... something? I hadn't noticed that before, but maybe it points to something more sinister about them? Well, more sinister than wanting to destroy humanity that is. :p

I can't recall where I read it (Mailsack?), but the Fallen are described as having some etherealness about them, in particular when they died.

Dark Patrol

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:50 (4063 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Close. It was the New Beginnings article posted after destiny was revealed. The choice quote being:

We’ll show you how incredible it feels to see a Fallen Captain’s ethereal soul rip from its body after you’ve dusted his crew with your Gravesend Mk. 28 Heavy Machinegun, shattered his absorption shield with a perfectly-placed pulse grenade, and delivered a final, thundering shot with your beloved hand cannon.

Pretty interesting. Takes me back to the undead of Myth... and Halo.

Dark Patrol

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 20:17 (4063 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Is it just me or are the bad guys in the Dark Patrol image all smoking or releasing some kind of... something? I hadn't noticed that before, but maybe it points to something more sinister about them?

They are pushing smoking on humanity! SO EVIL!

Dark Patrol

by dinorider @, Friday, March 22, 2013, 09:10 (4052 days ago) @ Ragashingo

it also looks like there is some type of green smoke, gas or fog around there feet.

Traveler's Rest

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:38 (4063 days ago) @ Reconcilliation
edited by Ragashingo, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 19:50

Two bits of speculation here.

The Traveler has a lot more damage on the bottom than on the top. I think this signifies that it is Humanity who has damaged it while mining it for technology and is not damage it suffered during its last stand.

And

Rampant speculation here, but based on the arg text and the possibly human caused damage I'm guessing that events in Destiny proceeded thusly:

1. The Traveler creates sentience in multiple star systems, including the Sol system with Humanity. Humanity has its golden age with voluntary help from the Traveler.

2. Some as yet unseen force knocks humanity down hard but is defeated by The Traveler defending its work.

3. Humanity progresses to the point where reaching The Traveler resting overhead is possible and begins mining into it, jump starting human technological advancement.

4. The other races come seeking The Traveler to pay respect for creating them but find it hanging over Earth with humans swarming over and in it.

5. They declare war on the race that is desecrating the Traveler.

I don't think it's the Vex and Fallen and whoever that knocked us down. That we have a chance against them now means they aren't powerful enough to have been the force that nearly destroyed Humanity. But they are angry at us for what we've done. That frighteningly leaves open the possibility that whoever knocked down Humanity is still out there.

Perhaps The Traveler isn't the only one of its kind?

Traveler's Rest

by pwncak3z, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 22:56 (4063 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The damage at the bottom of the traveler doesn't imply that the humans did the damage. The traveler is described as our protector (presumably from some sort of alien force)

Why would the traveler sit over earth with it's good side facing the humans. It serves as a much better protector with it's good side out.

True.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 11, 2013, 08:19 (4063 days ago) @ pwncak3z

- No text -

Ghost Town

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 20:54 (4063 days ago) @ Reconcilliation
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 21:01

Ghost Town
[image]

Ghost Town interested me quite a bit since it appears to be a mixed media piece of art? When looking at the largest version available some of the areas are photo realistic, with digital matte painting on top of it? Unless I'm just tricked by someone's amazing art skills.

One of the things that interests me the most is if we could somehow identify the source images. I know pretty much impossible, but a fun idea.

Looks like the foreground field with the character standing in it, is real grass and plants, and the rock pile next to the stair case is very realistic and appears cropped from a picture (reminds me of something that might have been in the Halo: 'Believe' Diorama ad campaign).

Part of the dam looks like it could maybe be real? And then all the foliage on top of it looks super realistic to me with fog added around it. It serves as a foreground to frame the mountain in the background, which looks to be a real mountain scape with a waterfall painted on it with additional spray/fog?

I couldn't help but wonder if the ruin'd building was inspired or possibly based off of an actual building or architecture. The lower area with the sign looks pretty real and the whole top part was painted over it?

I've got a theory...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 21:49 (4063 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

it could be bunnies.

I've got a theory...

by Jillybean, Monday, March 11, 2013, 15:28 (4062 days ago) @ General Vagueness

or maybe witches?

YOU AND JILLYBEAN

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, March 11, 2013, 17:25 (4062 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I hate you.

I'll be over here, watching that whole friggin' episode just to get it out of my head.

The darkwatch could be stealthed?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 04:28 (4062 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

just had an idea about the concept art for the darkwatch.

What if, there were entire maps of patroling badasses through the jungles at night?

What if they were a level so much higher than you (perhaps they gain strength at night) you had to stealth through them?

What if you don't care and become vengeance and the night? I want to batman them. (i.e. swoop in, justice, turn the corner around a tree, camo, repeat)

Now I'm hoping for a mask that looks like Batman's cowl

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 10:15 (4062 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Faction Wars

by dinorider @, Friday, March 22, 2013, 09:23 (4052 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Faction Wars (IN RED)

Multiplayer selection?

Faction Wars

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, March 22, 2013, 09:41 (4052 days ago) @ dinorider

Yes, from an Edge article they talk about being able to earn items in Faction Wars for the campaign part of the game.

I posted about it a little while ago here if you want to see a couple other things from the issue.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread