Possible Destiny Art

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:05 (4058 days ago)

[image]
[image]

From the same guy who did these over on CGHUB:
http://cghub.com/images/view/441215/
http://cghub.com/images/view/441987/

Nice!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:14 (4058 days ago) @ Postmortem

They are probably just early concepts, but having spear-like melee weapons would be pretty cool.

Possible Destiny Art

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:14 (4058 days ago) @ Postmortem

The first piece is titled "Slay"; the second "Derelict"

Awesome find dude! If these are, indeed, Destiny artwork, then I'm very curious about the spears/pointy weapons they are wielding, and how they would work in an FPS. We had the sword and hammer in Halo, so I wonder if these would work in a similar way.

Possible Destiny Art

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:23 (4058 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Hehe. You speak as if we haven't had melee weapons in virtually every other first-person-shooter since the dawn of time. :)

They're generally hold-out weapons or combined with a utility function: Gordon's crowbar provides an efficient way to open containers as well as early offensive power and late-game last-ditch defence; the competitors in Quake III had the buzz-saw gauntlet which was incredibly powerful but only useful in very specific circumstances. A lot of games these days have phased out dedicated melee weapons in favor of a hotkey, in the way that Halo has for ten years, but you still get the occasional knife or billy-club.

I'd be interested to see how Bungie might utilize such weapons, though. I'm not too fond of the Halo method, where they just do tons of damage and that's it, but that's mainly due to the concept of Power Weapons, which I'd be happy to never see again. One weapon type shouldn't be superior to another, it should have aspects which make it more effective in one circumstance or another. For something like a spear in a universe with assault rifles and rocket launchers, those circumtances could be environmental: either in level design or enemy type. You're holding out agains the Xenomorph and you've got a squad with you, it might not hurt to have two or three guys plant their feet and hold a spear out while the others pick off distant targets, assuming you've dealt with the problem of your weapon disolving. :P

There's also the route Stargate took, where your melee weapons are also your ranged weapons. Spears with built-in rayguns and whatnot, that could be fun.

Speargun

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:55 (4058 days ago) @ Leisandir

Hehe. You speak as if we haven't had melee weapons in virtually every other first-person-shooter since the dawn of time. :)

Hehe, good point. I think the spear-like quality of the weapons kinda threw me off; they seem a little anachronistic (there's my big word for the day). But, then again, they may serve some other purpose than melee/poking stuff. Maybe it shoots plasma-y stuff as well (I know I've seen that sort of weapon elsewhere, but I can't remember where. All google is showing me is spearguns)

[image]

Speargun

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:05 (4057 days ago) @ Mr Daax

[image]

As I said, Stargate did it, and I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere.

So now that somebody pointed out the giant critter in the second image, I'm thinking that these spears fall under the category of "special circumstance" melee weapon. It looks like these guys are trying to kill or subdue the lizard, kinda like the Fremen with Maker Hooks from Dune.

Possible Destiny Art

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:18 (4058 days ago) @ Postmortem

[image]
[image]

From the same guy who did these over on CGHUB:
http://cghub.com/images/view/441215/
http://cghub.com/images/view/441987/

Nice.

To be honest, this is the first I've noticed the little orbs. Went back and looked, they are there in the other concept art. Have we had any speculation on their purpose yet? Do we think they are from the Traveler?

Theory is they are like MAGs

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:21 (4058 days ago) @ Mercury

From Phantasy Star Online. Which makes me giddy. I also think they are probably some kind of tech from the Traveler. They are also seen around the Warlock class in the concept art so maybe they are the way the character uses "magic".

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:35 (4058 days ago) @ Xenos

From Phantasy Star Online. Which makes me giddy. I also think they are probably some kind of tech from the Traveler. They are also seen around the Warlock class in the concept art so maybe they are the way the character uses "magic".

So if they're seen with both the fallen and a class of Guardian, I'm thinking they might be more important than just an useful magic item, and looking at "Captain" from the official stuff, I'm wondering about these a lot, now.

I like the "faces" on them here. Reminds me of the superintendent.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:37 (4058 days ago) @ Mercury

So if they're seen with both the fallen and a class of Guardian, I'm thinking they might be more important than just an useful magic item, and looking at "Captain" from the official stuff, I'm wondering about these a lot, now.

It definitely would make sense if they are Traveler tech that Guardians and their enemies would fight over them. I'm not sure the one with the Fallen is the same though it looks a lot bigger than the one in this picture or in the Warlock class concept art.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:29 (4057 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm not sure the one with the Fallen is the same though it looks a lot bigger than the one in this picture or in the Warlock class concept art.

Well, it is concept art after all. There certainly could have been changes along the way in development, or even differences between two concept pieces created at the same time.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:45 (4058 days ago) @ Mercury

It actually reminds me of Oonsk. Happy monocled orb is happy :D

Baby Travellers off on their first adventure!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:08 (4058 days ago) @ Mercury

I swear, some of them have faces. Maybe they act as an AI companion that feeds you information throughout the game, eg, Cortana, 343 Guilty Spark, that little annoying fairy thing in the Zelda games, Wheatly and the GLaDOS potato in Portal 2 (they didn't really give you much information, but they were hilarious companions)...as well as being a sort of catalyst for our "magical" abilities, or like the MAGs mentioned above me.

I'm gonna name mine Alfred.

Hey, listen!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 11, 2013, 16:07 (4057 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Possible Destiny Art

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:32 (4058 days ago) @ Postmortem

I'm interested in the little drones. They seem much more personable and everyone seems to have one. What if your drone is from The Traveler? They are both spherical after all!

Possible Destiny Art

by Hypertrooper, Germany, Monday, March 11, 2013, 10:50 (4058 days ago) @ Postmortem
edited by Hypertrooper, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:13

I hope these are not personal work. Look at that giant creature in the background of the second artwork! THAT NEEDS TO BE IN THE GAME!

Edit.: Those are the small orb things which are shown in other artworks. So I'd say those two pieces are Destiny related!

Possible Destiny Art

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:25 (4058 days ago) @ Hypertrooper

I hope the universe is filled with weird creatures and wildlife. Gotta skin me a space buck.

Possible Destiny Art

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:03 (4057 days ago) @ Hypertrooper

Hah, woah, I totally didn't even see Godzilla hanging out in the image. Is there a word for reading comprehension, but with pictures? Whatever it is, mine sucks.

Possible Destiny Art

by Dax01, Monday, March 11, 2013, 11:41 (4058 days ago) @ Postmortem

Looks great!

I'd normally discourage use of capes

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, March 11, 2013, 12:08 (4057 days ago) @ Postmortem

But these look sexy and functional. I'll take a long flowing mint-y white one. :)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 11, 2013, 16:10 (4057 days ago) @ Grizzlei

But these look sexy and functional. I'll take a long flowing mint-y white one. :)

It would be awesome if they worked like towels from HGttG.
I mean, if you have a cape, you probably have all the other gear. If you ask for a particular gear, you probably just misplaced it, so it would be very rude of me to decline you said gear if you ever asked for it, no?

by ridum, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 06:50 (4057 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I'm all about the cape....

<3 mags

by electricpirate @, Monday, March 11, 2013, 13:05 (4057 days ago) @ Postmortem

I really hope a similar mechanic to Mags comes into play. I loved those things in PSO.

<3 mags

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 11, 2013, 13:50 (4057 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm unfamiliar with Mags. Can someone describe them for me?

<3 mags

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Monday, March 11, 2013, 14:37 (4057 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm unfamiliar with Mags. Can someone describe them for me?

I'm certainly no expert, because I've only seen PSO played, not played it myself. But Mags are like little floating arsenals behind you, that can level up and have specific attributes and attacks. Something like while you take damage, they are charging a really powerful attack. They come in all shapes and sizes. I think they kind of range from looking like little floating pokemon to floating wings that hang behind the character.

2nd image reminds me of 'Dune'

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, March 11, 2013, 13:10 (4057 days ago) @ Postmortem

They had these massive Sandworms. Riding one was considered a rite of passage. They'd hook on and ride them for hundreds of miles.

Same thought I had

by Lurono @, Oklahoma, USA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 19:03 (4057 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

CONFIRMED: NOT from Destiny

by WestCoastRonin ⌂, Monday, March 11, 2013, 15:27 (4057 days ago) @ Postmortem
edited by WestCoastRonin, Monday, March 11, 2013, 15:45

Artist Kekai Kotaki let us know over at Bungie Informer that these are his personal work, not from Destiny. Although he did say that the art did get him ready for the Destiny world.

https://twitter.com/KekaiKotaki/status/311239653208518656

Follow Bungie Informer for the latest Bungie and Destiny news!

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 09:57 (4057 days ago) @ WestCoastRonin

Glad that got cleared up.

And yeah, Kekai is awesome.

My fave...

[image]

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 10:04 (4057 days ago) @ DeeJ

It's Dune with cowboys. This should be your next project after Destiny. I would play that forever.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 10:07 (4057 days ago) @ bluerunner

It's Dune with cowboys. This should be your next project after Destiny. I would play that forever.

I was going to say: I wish that was Destiny art!

And ever.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 11:07 (4057 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 23:49 (4056 days ago) @ DeeJ

Glad that got cleared up.

And yeah, Kekai is awesome.

My fave...

[image]

Damn. That is the most amazing Tremors fan art I have ever seen, hands down. :)

The robot pets have faces!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, March 11, 2013, 15:28 (4057 days ago) @ Postmortem

[image][image]

LOL! Cute.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread