How does destiny handle player (un)death?

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 12:18 (4060 days ago)

Presumably it'll function exactly like Halo, but I do wonder if they'll try something new and explain it in-game somehow.

Borderlands got us covered

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 12:27 (4060 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

"The Hyperion corporation wishes to clarify that the bright light you saw after death was our digistruct technology, and not a higher power. Not higher than Hyperion, anyway."

Borderlands got us covered

by Wakko45, Saturday, March 16, 2013, 08:01 (4056 days ago) @ ZackDark

Haha nice. But yeah I'm thinking (more like hoping) that it will be somewhere along the lines of Left 4 Dead and Borderlands. I'm hoping more towards Borderlands so that you could still shoot while down, could be revived, but you could still spawn if you bled out (with a large loss of exp however). It would make it so people wouldn't rush to their deaths so quickly and it would provide some epic "oh god just saved you in time" moments.

by zumphry ⌂ @, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 13:19 (4060 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Presumably it'll function exactly like Halo, but I do wonder if they'll try something new and explain it in-game somehow.

Not to base everything off of concept art even though that's mostly what we know, but...:

[image]

I wonder if it'll be like Left 4 Dead? It has a clever system of respawning; Instead of outright dying (though I'm a wuss and never played on Expert or Realism), you'd get incapacitated and start bleeding out until you were revived, or died. You could also shoot the zombies gnawing on your tastily crunchy bones, which looks quite similar to what the Guardian is doing in that piece of concept art (unless they're lying prone, or sunbathing).

Certainly jumping to conclusions, but aping Left 4 Dead w/could be a great way to promote cooperation (minus griefers constantly falling off of cliffs, but hey), and w/could help tie deaths and health systems into gameplay without resorting to making people respawn back at their ship/graveyard/The City/etc.

Though, then where would they spawn? Space Closets? What'd be the penalty? Why am I asking the same question I'm replying to (and where's my pants?)?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 19:29 (4060 days ago) @ zumphry

I think there's a very good chance of having a semi-down state where you can be revived. Ever since I first experienced that system, I've felt like it's the right way for co-op oriented games to go, and it's all the rage in that sort of game lately - L4D, Borderlands, ME3 multiplayer, just to name the ones I've played. I'm sure there are more.

by zumphry ⌂ @, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 21:10 (4060 days ago) @ stabbim

I think there's a very good chance of having a semi-down state where you can be revived. Ever since I first experienced that system, I've felt like it's the right way for co-op oriented games to go, and it's all the rage in that sort of game lately - L4D, Borderlands, ME3 multiplayer, just to name the ones I've played. I'm sure there are more.

Yep, completely agreed.

This is tangentially related, but while I don't think Destiny will be quite as brutal as L4D's Director can be when you lose a party member, I wonder how party/AI scaling will work if you DO lose a member, or what happens to the AI enemies when a person gets matched into your instance/game? I mean, I don't know anything about designing AI systems (or game design, for that matter), but I hope Destiny continues what Bungie said Halo 3, ODST, and Reach did when you played 4-player co-op and made the enemy AI harder. Possibly even something like the L4D Director where enemy encounters become bigger or smaller based upon party size/performance, and that if someone joins up with you, enemy reenforcements show up (minus how big of a jerk it could be sometimes)?

Basically what I'm saying is that I want L4D in SPAAAAAACE where the zombies are Space Rats and you respawn in Space Closets with techno blasting instead of graffiti on the walls.

(I haven't gotten around to playing Mass Effect 3 [or 2... or most of 1...] or Borderlands, so sorry for the continued discussion around L4D's mechanics)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 14:51 (4059 days ago) @ stabbim

It adds drama, you know? HOLY SHIT EPIC REVIVE. YEAH BOY.

"Killed by the Guardians" will finally make sense...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 16:48 (4060 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

- No text -

Ha!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 17:54 (4060 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Heh, I hadn't made that connection yet

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 19:30 (4060 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Maybe the Guardians are Forerunners

by Airetta, Canada, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 21:56 (4060 days ago) @ Leviathan

Maybe the Guardians are Forerunners before they became Forerunners...
And the Traveler is a Precursor that defied its own kind and assisted in the Guardians' evolution to Forerunners...
And then the Guardians/Forerunners killed them all...

Going off the wall here, am I?

No.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 22:00 (4060 days ago) @ Airetta

NO!

Balefire deaths?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 23:34 (4060 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

So if Vex are time traveling robots, what if they way you killed them you could cancel out events? For example in a Vex's timeline in his future he travels to your present and kills your fellow guardian but then in his present you kill him so your friend comes back to life?

"Time travel is REALLY hard to write about!"

Pattern Buffers.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 04:22 (4059 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread