Platform Transition

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 17:09 (4061 days ago)

My first post on DBO. Long time HBO lurker, and was very active in Bungie forums for a few years. I did a search, and couldn't find this topic addressed. If I missed it, my apologies.

With Bungie's announcement that Destiny will launch on PS3 and PS4, I think it's safe to say the same will happen for 360 and the new Microsoft platform (we'll call it 720 here for ease of explanation. Sub PS3 for 360 and PS4 for 720, if you prefer Playstation). THat being said, it raises an interesting question. Will we be able to port our characters from the 360 Destiny to the 720 Destiny? If not, what's a gamer to do? I pre-ordered for the 360, but if I hear that Destiny will be a launch title on 720, I'll drop the pre-order for 360 and pick it up on 720.

If Destiny is not a launch title, then the question of portability of characters becomes a little more important. If we can port them - no big deal. Pick up the 360 version, play until the 720 version, port over, and there's no lost time. However, if you can't port, we're stuck in the conundrum of potentially logging hours on a character and equipment that will be lost when we make the switch to 720.

Thoughts?

That's a geeewd qwrestin w...Megaman

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 17:45 (4061 days ago) @ rliebherr

I'd be really surprised if your character and game progression was tied to one platform. I'm thinking that's all server side. I don't see why you character on 360 wouldn't be accessible on neXtBox. It's just player data (level, skills, progression) that needs to be transferred, the art assets are already there. You'll probably just end up signing into your account on the new Xbox and all that stuff will be sitting there waiting for you on Bungie's servers.

We'll see.

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 18:11 (4061 days ago) @ biggy

I certainly hope you're right!

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 19:22 (4060 days ago) @ biggy

I'd be really surprised if your character and game progression was tied to one platform. I'm thinking that's all server side. I don't see why you character on 360 wouldn't be accessible on neXtBox. It's just player data (level, skills, progression) that needs to be transferred, the art assets are already there. You'll probably just end up signing into your account on the new Xbox and all that stuff will be sitting there waiting for you on Bungie's servers.

We'll see.

I'd be surprised as well. Especially because of the focus that Bungie seems to be putting on having the Destiny experience "transcend" the console and having tight mobile integration. It seems only natural to me that your Destiny character/progress would absolutely require the server-side nature in order for this to work flawlessly.

I'm thinking that your gaming Platform will be nothing but a workhorse for generating the visual aspects of the world, while everything else will be seamless across different generations of hardware (just not cross-platform as in you can't play Co-Op cross-platform, but your character will still be able to transition if you want to switch).

by yakaman, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 09:05 (4059 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I'm thinking that your gaming Platform will be nothing but a workhorse for generating the visual aspects of the world, while everything else will be seamless across different generations of hardware (just not cross-platform as in you can't play Co-Op cross-platform, but your character will still be able to transition if you want to switch).

Yes - this. Just as the universe is well, universal and each of our brains render it for us at run-time.

Interesting concern

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 17:49 (4061 days ago) @ rliebherr

Usually, one would dismiss the possibility, but since Destiny will be an always online game...

Platform Transition

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 17:50 (4061 days ago) @ rliebherr

My first post on DBO. Long time HBO lurker, and was very active in Bungie forums for a few years. I did a search, and couldn't find this topic addressed. If I missed it, my apologies.

With Bungie's announcement that Destiny will launch on PS3 and PS4, I think it's safe to say the same will happen for 360 and the new Microsoft platform (we'll call it 720 here for ease of explanation. Sub PS3 for 360 and PS4 for 720, if you prefer Playstation). THat being said, it raises an interesting question. Will we be able to port our characters from the 360 Destiny to the 720 Destiny? If not, what's a gamer to do? I pre-ordered for the 360, but if I hear that Destiny will be a launch title on 720, I'll drop the pre-order for 360 and pick it up on 720.

If Destiny is not a launch title, then the question of portability of characters becomes a little more important. If we can port them - no big deal. Pick up the 360 version, play until the 720 version, port over, and there's no lost time. However, if you can't port, we're stuck in the conundrum of potentially logging hours on a character and equipment that will be lost when we make the switch to 720.

Thoughts?

Welcome! It's great to see lurkers getting active. Stick around. :)

I really hope character portability between versions is feasible. I'll probably get the 360 version as well as the 720 version (assuming Microsoft doesn't drop the ball with their new console). I'm sure Bungie can design the system in a way that character data is platform agnostic - even if MS/Sony rules prevent true cross-platform play.

(I'm skeptical, but I still haven't given up hope for cross-platform play. Without that I'll probably end up getting every version of Destiny just to maximize my personal potential for community interaction. That's just because I'm crazy though.)

Platform Transition

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 18:03 (4061 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

(I'm skeptical, but I still haven't given up hope for cross-platform play. Without that I'll probably end up getting every version of Destiny just to maximize my personal potential for community interaction. That's just because I'm crazy though.)

I have had the same thought but have not admitted it to anyone... I love Bungie so sue me!

Platform Transition

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 19:31 (4060 days ago) @ Xenos

I have had the same thought but have not admitted it to anyone... I love Bungie so sue me!

FREAKS!

(The thought has crossed my mind, too)

Platform Transition

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 18:15 (4061 days ago) @ rliebherr

Rumor is that 720 (neXt Box, Xbox Infinite, etc.) will be 2013 holiday releases, and Destiny will be a 2014 title. So, this question may not matter. Did a little more research between my original posting and now.

Platform Transition

by thesirchelios ⌂ @, Sweden, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 18:53 (4061 days ago) @ rliebherr

I really hope this is the case since I would prefer to just wait and play it on the 720 anyways. (Of course if it comes earlier I'll get it earlier! :))
But it could still be a problem for some people that cannot afford to upgrade to a 720 immediately at launch, but sill want to play Destiny.
There is also the possibility that Destiny will continue into the generation after the 720 since they are planning a 10 year project and consoles don't last that long! In that case it would make sense for them to have the accounts set up on their servers so it can seamlessly transfer from 360 to 720 to futureBox 1080.

I can definitely see that happening

by Domino Theory, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 21:34 (4060 days ago) @ rliebherr

Bungie's always been about having control of their games, stats, profiles, and so on, via server-side portals. Destiny's also touted as an always connected universe so I can definitely see you being able to transfer your character from the 360 version to the 720 version.

Yay!

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 14:23 (4059 days ago) @ Domino Theory

Welcome!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread