Need a Bungie game for your iOS device? Why not Marathon!?

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 18:17 (4044 days ago)

I was browsing the App Store earlier and, upon searching "FPS" I can across not just one, but all three marathon games! I'm sorry I can't link them, I'm still getting used to me new iPhone :)

Here's your links

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 18:22 (4044 days ago) @ Mix

Yeah they are good ports, I've played them for quite awhile :)

Marathon
Marathon 2: Durandal
Marathon Infinity

Why not Marathon!?

by kapowaz, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 19:37 (4044 days ago) @ Mix

...because the controls are dreadful. If you played them on Mac or PC originally then they're interesting to revisit, but they're nearly impossible to get into otherwise. Can you believe they made an FPS without a reload weapon button?

Why not Marathon!?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 19:50 (4044 days ago) @ kapowaz

Can you believe they made an FPS without a reload weapon button?

I first played Marathon in 2010 in its Aleph One form, and that's seriously one of my favorite things about the gameplay. It unobtrusively adds a really cool twist.

I do have 2 issues with the controls: angular precision and framerate. A modified version of Aleph One with 32-bit angular precision and the ability to play at 60 or 120fps would be insanely cool.

Why not Marathon!?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 22:14 (4044 days ago) @ uberfoop

angular precision

If 11 year old me could hit those switches on Ingue Ferroque with grenades from a distance, then so can you :-p

Why not Marathon!?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 22:17 (4044 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If 11 year old me could hit those switches on Ingue Ferroque with grenades from a distance, then so can you :-p

It does affect shooting at range, but the issue I have with it is that mouse look feels stuttery. Nine bits means your angular look jumps in incriments of about .7 degrees, which is quite large.

I guess I could try and learn to keyboard it, but I'd really *like* to stick to M&K.

But, but... It's Marathon...

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 19:59 (4044 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Why not Marathon!?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 22:11 (4044 days ago) @ kapowaz

...because the controls are dreadful. If you played them on Mac or PC originally then they're interesting to revisit, but they're nearly impossible to get into otherwise. Can you believe they made an FPS without a reload weapon button?

Ahah! One of the first habits you learn as a Vidmaster is to waste the last few bullets in your Assault Rifle before going into that room filled with baddies :-)

Why not Marathon!?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 22:42 (4044 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ahah! One of the first habits you learn as a Vidmaster is to waste the last few bullets in your Assault Rifle before going into that room filled with baddies :-)

Haha, I was just playing and was doing this and my roommate walked by and said "Why did you just shoot that wall?"

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread