Chris Butcher was thinking about Destiny in 2007/8

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 21:41 (4044 days ago)

From what we know of Destiny, these couple of lines in a presentation that Chris Butcher (engineer at Bungie) made 5 years ago describe their current project exactly.

(red annotations mine)
[image]

This is from his GDC 2008 presentation.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 21:53 (4044 days ago) @ RC

From what we know of Destiny, these couple of lines in a presentation that Chris Butcher (engineer at Bungie) made 5 years ago describe their current project exactly.

Interesting! Nice find. I have a feeling the third bullet point "Pee-to-peer is the future" will prove relevant as well once we know a little more about Destiny.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 21:57 (4044 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

"Pee-to-peer is the future" will prove relevant as well once we know a little more about Destiny.

Destiny LAN parties will all go horribly wrong?

by yakaman, Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 05:41 (4043 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

"Pee-to-peer is the future"

I wonder what the netcode for something like that looks like?

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 13:05 (4042 days ago) @ yakaman

"Pee-to-peer is the future"

I wonder what the netcode for something like that looks like?

Haha...cue three days of me not noticing the typo.

Yes, pee-to-peer. It's the way of the future. Taking the current Xbox Live experience to its nightmarish extreme, other players literally piss on you from around the world.

by Flynn J Taggart, Monday, March 25, 2013, 03:35 (4044 days ago) @ RC

(red annotations mine)
[image]

This is from his GDC 2008 presentation.

JJ probably pulled him aside for some prototype design work on Destiny early, perhaps during Halo 3's development time, even. I bet there's more hints about Destiny in earlier talks like these.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Monday, March 25, 2013, 13:06 (4043 days ago) @ RC

Isn't the rumor that Jason has been brainstorming Destiny since Halo 2?

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Monday, March 25, 2013, 17:48 (4043 days ago) @ biggy

Yes, that is the rumor. The widely accepted notion is that Jones has been working on it since the split from Microsoft back in Oct. '07.

by tadboz, Fort Collins, CO, Monday, March 25, 2013, 21:51 (4043 days ago) @ Mix

You know, this thread and many others have got me to thinking...

Maybe the name "Destiny" isn't solely aimed at the player, but is also self-directed on Bungie's part? Maybe this game is Bungie's destiny because it's the one they've always wanted to make, even if they didn't know at the time.

I dunno.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread