DestinyRaider.net update: Hey look... Maps! (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 06, 2015, 22:31 (3310 days ago)

When I first envisioned a site dedicated to raids, maps were one of the key features I had planned. Now that a decent chunk of the content is in place, I'm finally getting around to creating some maps, and I'm hoping for some feedback.

*** IMPORTANT: These maps are 100% placeholder.

They're done completely from memory, with zero reference or measuring to ensure accuracy. I'm positive the geometry and proportions are a bit off. Beorn is working on better versions, but the site is starting to get decent traffic, so I wanted something in there in the meantime.

Anyway, layout inaccuracies aside, what do you think of the general iconography? Are the little markers I'm using clear and easy to understand? Is there important info I've failed to include, or info that is unnecessary?

Here's a link to the VoG Maps page.

And here's a link to the Templar's Well walkthrough, so you can see them in the context of the complete guide.

Any and all feedback is very much appreciated.

DestinyRaider.net update: Hey look... Maps!

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Friday, March 06, 2015, 22:49 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

They look great. Perhaps this isn't what you are looking for regarding feedback, but I would consider adding some kind of lightbox plugin so that when you click an image, the full scale image pops up in a modal instead of linking you to another page. Helps the user see the maps better without having them leave your page so they can quickly move onto the next one. You may already be planning to do that, so I don't want to step on your toes, but if you need any help, I'd be happy to offer my services implementing one for you.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, March 07, 2015, 13:48 (3310 days ago) @ BeardFade

Thanks, and great suggestion! Right now I'm running the site on Wordpress' free hosting, so that limits my ability to use any custom code. Once I get the content fully fleshed out, I'll be switching to self-hosting so I can add features like what you're suggesting. I'll definitely look in to adding that.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 06, 2015, 22:58 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Is that blue shape next to the hidden left oracle supposed to be the spirit bloom chest room? Because if so, it's in the wrong spot.

In general, I think the iconography is fantastic.

In the article itself, I'm seeing a lot of spell-check errors in text that's baked into an image.

These maps are awesome.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 08, 2015, 00:00 (3309 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Thanks for this! I'm going to make sure these are distributed amongst the Sunday XBO raiders.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, March 08, 2015, 03:51 (3309 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

For the gate, I'd add a high/low label as well as right left for the plates as the terms seem to be used by people with roughly equal frequency.

Actually, for all of the maps, I think a sence of elevation would help, but I am not good enough with visual design to know how to show that.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, March 08, 2015, 21:59 (3308 days ago) @ Vortech

For the gate, I'd add a high/low label as well as right left for the plates as the terms seem to be used by people with roughly equal frequency.

Actually, for all of the maps, I think a sence of elevation would help, but I am not good enough with visual design to know how to show that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually trying to show elevation with the changing color of the floor (lower levels are dark, and the layers get lighter the higher up they are) but it's clearly not working. Maybe I should add some shadows to show depth... Maybe that would help?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread