Maybe I'm behind but...

by Tawpgun, Sunday, March 31, 2013, 13:17 (4041 days ago)

Have the meanings behind the factions been revealed yet? I'm talking about the ones featured on the Bungie shirts. Dead Orbit, Seven Seraphs, New Monarchy etc.

Have we found out what these are exactly? Or is it still a mystery?

Maybe I'm behind but...

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, March 31, 2013, 13:20 (4041 days ago) @ Tawpgun

To my knowledge, we still have no idea what they actually are.

Maybe I'm behind but...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, March 31, 2013, 13:27 (4041 days ago) @ Tawpgun

New Monarchy banners can be seen waving in the hangar concept art

[image]

You can see another one in this pic

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 31, 2013, 14:00 (4041 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

[image]

I'm not sure if it really is one maybe even early concept.

That kinda looks like an early version of Dead Orbit

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, March 31, 2013, 14:08 (4041 days ago) @ Xenos

And you can also see FWC in that picture

Maybe I'm behind but...

by yakaman, Monday, April 01, 2013, 10:54 (4040 days ago) @ Tawpgun

Have the meanings behind the factions been revealed yet? I'm talking about the ones featured on the Bungie shirts. Dead Orbit, Seven Seraphs, New Monarchy etc.

I hope that choosing a faction has a lot of impact on identity within the game, especially perhaps to build some sense of community through proximity. Like, literally storing my spaceship next to LeetSniper1998 means I'll see LeetSniper1998 pretty often, and potentially, we'll become acquaintances and do some missions together.

In other words, I hope the faction isn't just a logo on my armor. How do friendships form in real life? Proximity and opportunity. Kids that live down the street, or are on your team, or are in your class, or are roommates at college, or co-workers, or people that frequent the same forum online.

This is how you build a real, organic community - through proximity and opportunity. You also create random mash-ups that may have very unpredictable outcomes. That's how you make a universe fun, exciting, and enduring.

Maybe I'm behind but...

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 07:56 (4038 days ago) @ Tawpgun

Just noodling; so far as I know none of these are based on anything but my overblown imagination.

Dead Orbit: Saturn? That's where the wrecked spaceship concept art was set, which is dead and in orbit around Saturn and its rings.

New Monarchy: Queen of the Reef? A queen is a monarch, after all.

Future War Cult (FWC): Mars? Named after the god of war, after all, and known to be the last resting place of the warmind Charlemagne.

Dunno about Seven Seraphs or Osiris, though the latter jibes well with the shown-but-not-described concept art of onyx pyramids...

-- Steve has lots of fun with this sort of idle musing.

Maybe I'm behind but...

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 09:12 (4038 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I have some theories on Osiris, though I find it curious that the actual Eye of Horus wasn't used. I'm sure all the baggage that comes with it is something Bungle wanted to avoid, but then why use the name in the first place?

Couple thoughts regarding that: Osiris being the god of the afterlife and the dead, and not just the dead, but the idea of renewal after death, I'm going to guess we're probably looking at some force that may have "stamped us out", all the way back to our home system and homeworld, and Staten's quote about the art direction concept of "nature ascendant" may have something to do with that. A purging of sorts back to a natural state. Similar to the Reapers in Mass Effect. I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here and further speculate that the other races we've found have invaded our system are running from the same thing.

But, what about the Traveller, and the Fallen, in particular? We see hovering spheres in the Traveller itself, associated with the Fallen in the first image we got, and also associated with the Warlock in concept art. If I had to guess there, maybe the Fallen were favored at one time by whatever forces are behind the existence of the Traveler, and have since Fallen out of favor? (Yuk, yuk). Between the Onyx Pyramid ships and these examples, we can call it the War of Basic Shapes.

I also think you're probably right regarding New Monarchy and the Queen of the Reef.

~M

Edit: or they just stole the technology, being Spider Pirates, and all.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread