Let's talk HoW (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 16:59 (3290 days ago)

So personally, It really surprised me at how much content that this little preview has shown. Lot's of people were bummed that there wasn't going to be much content but I think there is a ton of content.

For one, it seems to me like they took HoW's in two sections:
1. New content involving the story
2. A huge pile of community needs/wants

I will say that I wasn't expecting nearly as much of #2

And I'm glad, they addressed a ton of concerns that people have had. And for the big issues like player tradings, they discussed and put their foot down. Not only have they addressed a lot of issues, but they have left a fare amount of surprises hangin'

So I have to give all these new things a standing ovation, because I'm now really excited for all of the new Reef content and all of the new updated content.

Let's talk HoW

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 17:03 (3290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I'm very excited about the expansion. I admittedly already was, but now, holy crap, it's going to be awesome. I think the thing I'm the happiest about is the rotating gear the Fallen vendor will have. No more hoping for a set of gauntlets, you can wait for it to come up in the vendor.

That stream was practically perfect in execution.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 17:05 (3290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

and getting Goth in there to ask the questions we actually want answered was AWESOME. Super hyped for next week's stream.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 17:08 (3290 days ago) @ CyberKN

While the questions being asked and answered was a good thing, I found that guy incredibly annoying. I cringed at most of the things he said, and the way he posed questions was pretty obnoxious.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 17:14 (3290 days ago) @ bluerunner

While the questions being asked and answered was a good thing, I found that guy incredibly annoying. I cringed at most of the things he said, and the way he posed questions was pretty obnoxious.

He does skew towards a younger audience, and it did get a bit awkward at times when he was asking questions that Bungie clearly wasn't comfortable answering, but I felt his presence was net-positive.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 21:18 (3290 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 21:32

He does skew towards a younger audience, and it did get a bit awkward at times when he was asking questions that Bungie clearly wasn't comfortable answering, but I felt his presence was net-positive.

I love when they bring up questions they're not comfortable answering. To me that shows more than anything else that they are listening. Now I just wish they'd answer those questions more concretely-- but for the most part they were very good about that this time. To clarify, saying "we understand that people care about this and we're not talking about it/doing anything about it at this time" is almost as bad as not addressing something because it doesn't tell you their plans or their reasoning, and it lets people get their hopes up-- which they never should, but Bungie knows better than anyone it'll happen anyway.

True. I think the weekly updates, if anything, show that.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 21:46 (3290 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Something I get from deej when he writes those is that he does listen, as he usually puts in at least one conciliatory line or two about not being able to address our pet peeves, but when he can, you can tell he has been feeling the pain every bit as much as we have, and writing about it is a relief to him.

Uh oh. Now I'm worried.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 18:26 (3290 days ago) @ bluerunner

[image]

I don't like his attitude.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:04 (3290 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by Funkmon, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:11

Just watching the stream, he just seems like a jerk, and that he was trying really hard to make it his own stream. He injected personality into it, but there are ways to do that without trying to gain control of an entire situation.

Then he posted that HE was MAKING Deej post about commendations in the weekly update? Really guy? What a shit. I hope he is playing a character for that, and I hope too that he learns it doesn't always have to be on.

EDIT: AND HE WASN'T EVEN GOOD AT IT.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:07 (3290 days ago) @ Funkmon

Just watching the stream, he just seems like a jerk, and that he was trying really hard to make it his own stream. He injected personality into it, but there are ways to do that without trying to gain control of an entire situation.

Then he posted that HE was MAKING Deej post about commendations in the weekly update? Really guy? What a shit. I hope he is playing a character for that, and I hope too that he learns it doesn't always have to be on.

Obviously, you're entitled to feel however you want about him.... but I watch Gothalion pretty regularly and he isn't a jerk at all. They asked him there precisely to inject some of that personality into the stream, and his post-stream tweet was definitely done in a light-hearted manner that I guarantee Deej enjoyed.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:33 (3290 days ago) @ Speedracer513

You're probably right. And I'm glad he asked the questions he did. Just didn't like him.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:26 (3290 days ago) @ Funkmon

You aren't wrong.

Looking forward to the PoE reveal, these seem like nice additions but that is where I will spend most of the time in this DLC.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:33 (3290 days ago) @ Funkmon

EDIT: AND HE WASN'T EVEN GOOD AT IT.

FWIW, Gothalion streams Destiny daily, and consistently has several thousand people watching him whenever he is online. He is always at the top of the list in terms of active viewers (on the Destiny page). Deej has mentioned that they at Bungie watch Gothalion (and some of the other streamers) on a daily basis, and Deej even pops up in his chat from time to time. They clearly knew what Goth's style is and they asked him to be the guy for this stream for a reason.

Obviously you (and you're not alone) didn't like him, but I actually thought he did a great job and made the stream pretty enjoyable. I also appreciated that he asked some of the tough questions that the community is asking on a daily basis. Bungie obviously doesn't want to talk much about the lack of a raid and wants to keep the focus on the Prison of Elders and other "end-game" content. I though Goth did a great job at bringing it up without harping on it or being a jerk at all. Goth has been one of the most outspoken supporters of Destiny since day one - while still being a great community ambassador by not shying away from what most of us feel would make the game better.

I think part of the perceived awkwardness of this stream was more due to the fact that Deej was clearly a bit more nervous than he usually is - probably because he was very cautious about not letting out any information they don't want to talk about yet, and that there were almost 150,000 people watching the stream (I suspect they weren't expecting anywhere near that many - their other streams usually average 20-30k)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 23:50 (3290 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yup. I felt the same way. Who is that guy?

I nominate narc to be their guest.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 00:17 (3290 days ago) @ narcogen

I thought he was obnoxious. Someone said it was geared to a younger crowd, but younger isn't synonymous with rudely confrontational. Maybe he didn't seem that way to people who are familiar with him, but what percentage of people watching had heard of him before today?

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 00:24 (3290 days ago) @ Kermit

I watched a few of his streams of Borderlands and he has always been like this. Not sure why he is popular now, but his twitch channel took off after Destiny came out. Then again, I'm a cranky old man at heart.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 00:46 (3290 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I watched a few of his streams of Borderlands and he has always been like this. Not sure why he is popular now, but his twitch channel took off after Destiny came out. Then again, I'm a cranky old man at heart.

Heh. I'm a cranky old man full stop. Loved his shirt. The discussion about trading was great. It wasn't the subjects he brought up that bothered me, it was the way he brought them up.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 01:26 (3290 days ago) @ Kermit

I thought he was obnoxious. Someone said it was geared to a younger crowd, but younger isn't synonymous with rudely confrontational. Maybe he didn't seem that way to people who are familiar with him, but what percentage of people watching had heard of him before today?

I'm flattered. I'd actually have to be a few thousand miles closer, though, unless they want just to do it with a webcam :)

I nominate Cody.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 09:04 (3289 days ago) @ Kermit

"Are there any questions about the new activity, Cody?"

"Why did you change the ammo indicators in crucible?"

"That isn't the new activity, but to improve visibility and awareness."

"Yeah, but I liked the old ones."

-------

"Why are you trying to screw me out of my hawkmoon?"

-------

"That's a terrible decision. I thought you guys were smart."

I'd love to see this play out like this

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 23, 2015, 09:55 (3289 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

"All you have to do is add a variable."

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 12:15 (3289 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

"All you have to do is add a variable."

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 15:57 (3289 days ago) @ Ragashingo

post_rating = post_rating + 1

ERROR

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 16:08 (3289 days ago) @ General Vagueness

post_rating = post_rating + 1

Circular dependency detected.

I nominate Cody.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 14:46 (3289 days ago) @ Funkmon

To be honest, I would just have been trying really hard to not break my composure and scream to that annoying guy on the right to just shut the fuck up and let Bungie talk.

ooooOOOOOO black hammer! OOOOoooooo I FOUND A GHOST. NO RAID WPOJPQWIHKDJ

I nominate Cody.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 15:59 (3289 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To be honest, I would just have been trying really hard to not break my composure and scream to that annoying guy on the right to just shut the fuck up and let Bungie talk.

ooooOOOOOO black hammer! OOOOoooooo I FOUND A GHOST. NO RAID WPOJPQWIHKDJ

They're talking about having you instead of him.

I nominate Cody.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, April 24, 2015, 02:33 (3289 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought you'd be interested in the black hammer info.

+1

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 11:20 (3289 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Monochron, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 11:35 (3289 days ago) @ Kermit

I think it's a common persona of Twitch / YouTube streamers. He plays it like many other streamers out there do and while it's certainly annoying at times, it represents a large demographic that Bungie is trying to hit. Bungie made Destiny rated "T" for a reason . . .

There are more entertaining and mature-acting streamers out there. I hope some of them get on for future Bungie streams, but it could have been a lot worse with this guy.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 16:08 (3289 days ago) @ Kermit

I didn't think he was obnoxious, but I also figured he was a Bungie guy I just hadn't heard of. Looking back now, and seeing some reminders here of what he said, I can kind of see where the sentiment is coming from, but I still wouldn't call him obnoxious or rude, just too pushy sometimes, and the sidetrack Ghost conversation was a little annoying.
I don't think they were aiming at the younger crowd, I think they were aiming at the crowd that's not so patient and not so happy with the limitations of Destiny-- many that lines up with younger players though.

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 17:55 (3290 days ago) @ CyberKN

and getting Goth in there to ask the questions we actually want answered was AWESOME. Super hyped for next week's stream.

That guys was very funny. Is he a twitch streamer?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 18:08 (3290 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

That guys was very funny. Is he a twitch streamer?

Yeah, he is consistently at the top of of the list in terms of viewers (among Destiny streams).

http://www.twitch.tv/kinggothalion

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 18:53 (3290 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah, he is consistently at the top of of the list in terms of viewers (among Destiny streams).

Thanks. Thinking about it more, he really made the whole broadcast. They're going to be a bit dry if he's not part of the others.

For launch-day raids I end up watching Datto and always ask myself "why does this guy have followers?" He's not particularly funny or charismatic at all.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:03 (3290 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Thanks. Thinking about it more, he really made the whole broadcast. They're going to be a bit dry if he's not part of the others.

For launch-day raids I end up watching Datto and always ask myself "why does this guy have followers?" He's not particularly funny or charismatic at all.

Yeah, I have his stream on in the background while I work fairly often. I've watched Datto a few times - but his strength is much more based in informational youtube videos and not entertaining streams. ProfessorBroman and TeaWrex are pretty good too, and they run with Goth a lot - but I tend to prefer Goth when he's online and I'm in the mood to watch Destiny.

Also, I would highly recommend checking out http://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames - done by four guys that left IGN to do their own thing. Among other content, they have a daily gaming talk show on twitch at 11am PST called "Colin and Greg Live" hosted by Colin Moriarty and Greg Miller (who you may know as "GameOverGreggy").

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:17 (3290 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah, I have his stream on in the background while I work fairly often. I've watched Datto a few times - but his strength is much more based in informational youtube videos and not entertaining streams. ProfessorBroman and TeaWrex are pretty good too, and they run with Goth a lot - but I tend to prefer Goth when he's online and I'm in the mood to watch Destiny.

Also, I would highly recommend checking out http://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames - done by four guys that left IGN to do their own thing. Among other content, they have a daily gaming talk show on twitch at 11am PST called "Colin and Greg Live" hosted by Colin Moriarty and Greg Miller (who you may know as "GameOverGreggy").

I enjoy those guys. (Note: they lean heavily toward Playstation--they hosted Beyond for many years). Met Greg last year. Exactly the same in person. Really nice guy.

Also met him at RTX. Greg Miller = good guy.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:20 (3290 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

I enjoy Datto.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 20:28 (3290 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

I prefer a more informative broadcast than entertaining.

I enjoy Datto.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 20:32 (3290 days ago) @ red robber

I prefer a more informative broadcast than entertaining.

That's why I like him for his youtubes. But when I'm wanting to watch some people play the game (b/c I'm at work and can't do it myself) I prefer people that goof around and have fun. Obviously he does some of that too, he's just not as entertaining as some of the others. Also, I get a little bit of a "cocky" vibe from him sometimes - which puts me off a little.

He finished Crota's End blindfolded yesterday.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 20:36 (3290 days ago) @ Speedracer513

That was pretty entertaining. Not to dismiss your preferences. :D

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 20:42 (3290 days ago) @ CyberKN

Yeah, I heard about that and bet it was pretty cool. I watched when he and his crew were trying to take down Crota using only No Land Beyonds and that was pretty entertaining. I do actually watch his Twitch streams from time to time -- just not usually my first choice.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 21:40 (3290 days ago) @ CyberKN

I don't think that counters th cocky concern.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 14:49 (3289 days ago) @ CyberKN

When you have to resort to doing things like that just to get entertainment out of your game, you should just be done. I get that he makes his living doing it, but I'd be playing something else at that point.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 16:13 (3289 days ago) @ Cody Miller

When you have to resort to doing things like that just to get entertainment out of your game, you should just be done. I get that he makes his living doing it, but I'd be playing something else at that point.

This seems just a little ironic coming from a [former(?)] speedrunner...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 16:21 (3289 days ago) @ Speedracer513

This seems just a little ironic coming from a [former(?)] speedrunner...

Key word is former. I wised up.

They absolutely nailed it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 17:16 (3290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I'm blown away.

Weapon Upgrades and Reforging

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 17:32 (3290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So it looked like:
Vendor and Random dropped Weapons cost Glimmer (750), Planetary Materials (20), and Etheric Light (1) to upgrade

Exotic Weapons cost Glimmer (1500), Weapon Parts (25), and Exotic Shards (1) to upgrade

The yellow upgrade circle was still present on HoW weapons

I didn't see the requirements for raid weapons, or any armor - did I miss it?

Reforging HoW weapons costs Glimmer (250), Motes (1) and Weapon Parts (3)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 18:33 (3290 days ago) @ Chappy

Does it remove XP progress?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 18:35 (3290 days ago) @ Vortech

It was a freshly bought gun, so it was impossible to tell. I would think so, though.

It does.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 18:41 (3290 days ago) @ CyberKN

They may have said it, but it definitely says it in the pop-up when you hover over the circle.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 18:39 (3290 days ago) @ Vortech

Yes, reforging removes XP progress.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 18:41 (3290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Since reforging only applies to HoW and later weapons, I don't see this being a problem. Get a gun from a vendor or drop, go reforged it. Why would anyone want to level it first?

Locking and Reforging?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:14 (3290 days ago) @ bluerunner

Since reforging only applies to HoW and later weapons, I don't see this being a problem. Get a gun from a vendor or drop, go reforged it. Why would anyone want to level it first?

Wonder if the new locking mechanism prevents reforging… Definitely looking forward to the expansion!

Gutted I missed the stream!

by R41, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:40 (3290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:41 (3290 days ago) @ R41

The youtube version will be uploaded soon, I'm sure - but in the meantime:

http://www.twitch.tv/bungie/b/652463271

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 21:44 (3290 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Who makes a video site that does not play on an iPhone in this day and age?

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 22:38 (3290 days ago) @ Vortech

Who makes a video site that does not play on an iPhone in this day and age?

I watched it live on my iphone.

::blushes, raises hand::

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 22:44 (3290 days ago) @ Vortech

Someday, HBO will be phone-friendly. :(

::blushes, raises hand::

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, April 23, 2015, 03:50 (3290 days ago) @ Claude Errera

/me puts on reading glasses to see the super tiny print

It's totally mobile friendly, if you have a retina screen...

/me pinches to find the post button

;-)

Maybe I'm crazy...

by Monochron, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 12:00 (3289 days ago) @ Claude Errera

...But I'm totally fine zooming in to use a site on a phone. As it is now I don't have to relearn a new layout when I change devices. Sites that hamper navigation by trying to streamline things are way more annoying.

Maybe I'm crazy...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 13:42 (3289 days ago) @ Monochron

It works ok in landscape except that I can't see the text while I type and if I use voice dictation the text automatically deletes after I enter it. I can't imagine why.

Maybe I'm crazy...

by Monochron, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 18:12 (3289 days ago) @ Vortech

It works ok in landscape except that I can't see the text while I type and if I use voice dictation the text automatically deletes after I enter it. I can't imagine why.

Huh, I don't have either of those problems. Does your phone not let your scroll while you are typing? I guess with so many different types of mobile devices in use, it is really hard to provide something that works on everything.

Maybe I'm crazy...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, April 24, 2015, 02:36 (3289 days ago) @ Monochron

I can scroll but I was talking about landscape where there is not much vertical space.

And the dictation thing happens on the phone and the iPad, so I dunno.

Disciple of Osiris

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 19:50 (3290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Did anyone take note that besides guardians, he is the only non-awoken/fallen?

I find that interesting. What are their background?

Disciple of Osiris

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 05:03 (3290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Did anyone take note that besides guardians, he is the only non-awoken/fallen?

I find that interesting. What are their background?

Sammy commented that he is basically Heimskr from Skyrim.

Not only does he look like him, but he's there representing a God (Osiris in his case), and people like him aren't exactly welcome there (Awoken barely opened the reef, and he's already there). Neat stuff.

Disciple of Osiris

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 09:51 (3289 days ago) @ Korny

So you're saying we'll start seeing some, "Ya'll Mother Fuckers need Osiris" memes soon?

[image]

Disciple of Osiris

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 12:41 (3289 days ago) @ Korny

Longtime HBOer first time DBO post, but I just played a story mission last night and Osiris is actually a fabled Warlock guardian that you hear an audio recording from right before one of the moon missions. Weird to think about it that way instead of the Egyptian god, but it looks like there's a cult built around this warlock guardian.

Disciple of Osiris

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 13:43 (3289 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Was the cryptarch awoken?

Disciple of Osiris

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 14:13 (3289 days ago) @ Vortech

Was the cryptarch awoken?

I thought all blue people were awoken...
[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread