I've got to play it twice… *OT*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 11:32 (4036 days ago)

I've just recently become aware of a strange issue between me and video games, and I wondered if anybody here felt the same way. My issue is: I don't really appreciate a game until I've played through it twice. Or at least started on a second play through. Recent examples include Alan Wake, Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored, Halo 4, Tomb Raider, and extremely recently BioShock Infinite. And it's not just a story perspective. You almost have to play Alan Wake and BioShock twice to fully take in everything the game is telling you. But it's also a gameplay thing for me. I'll have an ok level of fun playing through a new game, but coming right back to it for a second play through give me a lot more enjoyment. Not only do I see the story in a different light, but I am much more competent with the game's mechanics, how the weapons and powers work, where I can and can't hide, etc. I think it maybe has something do with not having to figure the game out, and not having the frustration of dying in an unfamiliar situation. On the second play through I can play and experiment more fully because I know the area, the enemies, and the weapons… I think.

As an actual example I was not all that happy with Tomb Raider on my first play through. I thought it had too many enemy attacking me in some parts. But on my second play through I had a blast because I knew which gun upgrades I liked, and how to dodge enemies or stun them for instant kills more effectively. When I was done with my second play through I was thrilled with the game and am a sad to that it is selling well, but perhaps not "well enough" because it deserves a sequel.

So how about you? Do you like to play a game twice? Am I just a terrible player who can't figure out how to use the guns and environment to my advantage the first time around? Or both?!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 07, 2013, 11:46 (4036 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Nah, I have those moments sometimes too.

I would guess it is because of planning ahead and stuff not being possible when you're playing the first time. Since I enjoy the tactical aspect of the game a lot, I suppose that is it.

Borderlands 2 had a Skill Tree planner in their website, so I planned my skill tree way ahead of launch, which would explain why I had an absolute blast there from start to finish.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, April 08, 2013, 13:14 (4034 days ago) @ ZackDark

Generally speaking, I'm right there with everyone else in this thread.

Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect 3 were weirdos though. I think because BL2 was fundamentally the same as BL1, and you had access to the skill tree and could respec in the middle of the game. ME3 had the MP demo.

Most games though, yeah, it's like you have to learn to read again or something.

by Jillybean, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 13:20 (4035 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I feel if I haven't played a game at least twice I haven't enjoyed it! Replayability is a huge part of a good game. If, once beating a game, you have no desire to do it all again, but better, I'm not sure it was a decent game at all!

One exception is sandboxes, I guess. I never played GTA4 more than once, but I still go back to the sandbox. However, I have replayed almost all of the AC games, despite their sandbox.

by Ser Jergen, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 13:26 (4035 days ago) @ Jillybean

I have this all the time with movies so I can definitely see it translating to video games in the exact way's you've described. The first time is novel and new, but the second time while familiar allows you to delve deeper and succeed where you failed in the first time and discover what you glossed over the first time maybe even make the decisions you didn't the first time depending on the game.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 15:30 (4035 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Usually I do enjoy it more the second time, but unless it was ridiculously amazing I can't replay it immediately. (Honestly most Halo games I replay pretty much immediately) Amazing to me means great story AND great gameplay, not just one or the other.

by electricpirate @, Monday, April 08, 2013, 09:34 (4035 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It really depends on the game for me. Most of the Halo games I've played through, waited an hour, and started back up on legendary. I love really well balanced, higher difficulty modes, like Legendary, or 1999 in infinite. I love them doubly so when I can pick up more of the universe and the fiction on each playthrough.

On the other had, 50 hour epic RPGs I find exhausting, and I rarely if ever touch them after the initial play through.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 08, 2013, 11:26 (4035 days ago) @ electricpirate

I suppose I also find RPGs, Skyrim, GTA4, Fallout 3, Final Fantasy to be something that don't need to be repeated. Maybe because they are long enough that I can be totally comfortable with the mechanics by the end of the game.

by electricpirate @, Monday, April 08, 2013, 13:31 (4034 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Also fun are games that are designed to be played hundreds of times, but only beat a few. Rouguelikes for life yo.

<3 FTL especially.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 08, 2013, 14:09 (4034 days ago) @ electricpirate

I have beaten FTL once, on easy… And had a blast dying a million other times. :)

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, April 08, 2013, 14:25 (4034 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I have beaten FTL

DEAR LORD HOW?! I've tried soooo many times! But that gorram boss with his multi-lives!

Such a great game though.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 08, 2013, 15:48 (4034 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Oddly I was in the Engi ship with:

The default Ion Blast II - which is an awesome gun
2 Burst Laser IIs
And a firebomb… I think.
+

2 Attack Drone I's
a Defense drone

The key to the flagship is killing that missile launcher as soon as possible in round one. Killing the drone room in round two to stop the boarding drones of doom and then focusing everything on the teleport room in round three as it for some reason controls the super laser blasts.

So basically good luck finding weapons and fantastic luck not getting clobbered. I think I ended with 1 health…

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, April 08, 2013, 16:21 (4034 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah I could see that. My farthest runs have always been with Engi ships. Human ships good too, but I can't do anything with the Stealth ship. So difficult!

FTL strategies

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 12:27 (4033 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Okay, so I've beaten it 3 times on normal, Engi A, Kessler B, and Zoltan A. Here's my strategy.

1. Earlier on, I save money, and try to avoid as much damage as possible. I try and hit every node possible, so at the end of the galaxy I'm in, I'm just one jump ahead of the rebel fleet.

2. My upgrade priorities are always 1. Engines 2. Shields, 3. Cloak or Teleporter 5. weapons. Engines are super mega key in this game, as is having a good pilot/engine guy. Maxed engines+ fully leveled pilot+ fully leveled engine guy = 60% dodge or so. Now I can avoid damage like crazy, and if I can find a cloak, I'm nearly invulnerable. Cloaking is key.

3. If have a decent crew I shoot for a teleporter too, this maximizes scrap, and this helps

4. For weapons a combination of burst lasers and one-two beam weapons is pretty much all you need, failing that, a couple of ion blasters, or powerful missiles. The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away, so if you can get a Burst Laster 2/3 JUMP ON IT.

For the final boss, My strategy is as follows.

1. Teleport guys to the missille room, destroy them, and destroy the missile, do this with 2 of the other guns leaving the second from the left (blasters I think)

2. Actively teleport people in and out to distract from the cockpit, so you can reduce the dogge probability, and break his shields.

3. In the later stages, Cloak is your friend. When he does a droid swarm... cloak, or a power burst cloak. It's your best, and, other than your engine/pilot awesome dodge skills your only defense.

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Monday, April 15, 2013, 09:46 (4028 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I've just recently become aware of a strange issue between me and video games, and I wondered if anybody here felt the same way. My issue is: I don't really appreciate a game until I've played through it twice. Or at least started on a second play through. Recent examples include Alan Wake, Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored, Halo 4, Tomb Raider, and extremely recently BioShock Infinite. And it's not just a story perspective. You almost have to play Alan Wake and BioShock twice to fully take in everything the game is telling you. But it's also a gameplay thing for me. I'll have an ok level of fun playing through a new game, but coming right back to it for a second play through give me a lot more enjoyment. Not only do I see the story in a different light, but I am much more competent with the game's mechanics, how the weapons and powers work, where I can and can't hide, etc. I think it maybe has something do with not having to figure the game out, and not having the frustration of dying in an unfamiliar situation. On the second play through I can play and experiment more fully because I know the area, the enemies, and the weapons… I think.

As an actual example I was not all that happy with Tomb Raider on my first play through. I thought it had too many enemy attacking me in some parts. But on my second play through I had a blast because I knew which gun upgrades I liked, and how to dodge enemies or stun them for instant kills more effectively. When I was done with my second play through I was thrilled with the game and am a sad to that it is selling well, but perhaps not "well enough" because it deserves a sequel.

So how about you? Do you like to play a game twice? Am I just a terrible player who can't figure out how to use the guns and environment to my advantage the first time around? Or both?!

I do this all the time, and most recently, with Gears of War: Judgement. I bought the game, played it through once and then didn't replay it again for about ten days. I wasn't sure I was going to like the game and I somewhat regretting buying it. I started playing it again just a few days ago and I am enjoying it as much as all of the previous Gears of War games. I'm pretty fickle with games, either I love playing them or I don't and I'm glad I gave Gears of War: Judgement a second chance.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread