Treasure Maps

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 17:39 (4028 days ago)

At the GDC presentation, while Joe and Chris were discussing artistic/style influences for Destiny, they brought up Terry Gilliam and treasure maps and Chris said this, "We love the idea of this futuristic game that you can have an ancient map in..."

There have been maps/map-artwork used sort of in the background so far, but I can't help but hope for actual in game treasure maps, and I think Chris was hinting at that during the presentation. TREASURE MAPS!!! How cool is that?!? Will they be used to lead us to the resting place of named weapons? Giant stacks of blue space gold? Piles of loot? Hidden locations where we can learn more of the deep secrets of Destiny?

What do you guys think?

Treasure Maps

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 19:56 (4028 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Makes me think of the treasure maps in Red Dead Redemption, where a few poorly drawn clues and your knowledge and observation of the environment are your only tools to locate the booty. If Bungie uses maps as puzzles, where it sends you and some friends (if you want to share) to a landmark of some sort, then scouring the landscape for a tiny clue. A small outcropping maybe, that when depressed, opens a smokey dungeon hidden beneath the planet's surface. Or something...

Uhhh, all of the above! Please!?

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 20:00 (4028 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Treasure Maps

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 03:54 (4028 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'd love maps in Destiny, I'm somewhat of a map/globe collector nutcase.

Treasure Maps

by Tawpgun, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 06:50 (4027 days ago) @ Mr Daax

They should have like different tiers of them. Some of them are fairly easy to figure out. Some require a bit more thinking and problem solving.

And then some of them should be designed to be figured out by the community. I'm talking about ARG level complexity where the community will have to sift through multiple clues, code etc in order to decipher it. It would be interesting to witness and it'd be like FEZ all over again.

To those who didn't play Fez, it was a puzzle platformer that could easily be beat without TOO much problem solving. But if you wanted to 100% it to unlock the real ending, and then unlock the secret ending after that, you needed to do some really next level codebreaking shit.

It was a lot of fun watching the community try and solve the incredibly complex and intricate puzzles in the game. Some of the solutions and how they were figured out were absolutely absurd.

Treasure Maps

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 08:45 (4027 days ago) @ Tawpgun

I love this idea! I was a little late to the party with FEZ, but what you explained would be completely awesome!

Treasure Maps

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 06:34 (4013 days ago) @ Tawpgun

They should have like different tiers of them. Some of them are fairly easy to figure out. Some require a bit more thinking and problem solving.

And then some of them should be designed to be figured out by the community. I'm talking about ARG level complexity where the community will have to sift through multiple clues, code etc in order to decipher it. It would be interesting to witness and it'd be like FEZ all over again.

In a way, the sort of dynamic 343 was implementing with the puzzle pieces leading to waypoint sequences for rewards; that sort of concept. Whether elements of the map (and I'm not talking about some contrived 'puzzle' style piece-me-together task) are discovered/retrieved/researched/solved in-game or in the real world, it would be pretty sweet to have that sort of social teamwork in order to figure out such treasure-map style rewards. Adventures in and of themselves. Imagine very very significant ancient discoveries, requiring many people to come together, then set out on the trek in game to the X, and whatever lies in wait :)

Modern Treasure maps?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:18 (4027 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I think it'd be cool if they combine the idea of ancient treasure maps with modern or semi-futuristic technology. Take for example you find an old GPS locator that is telling you there is something nearby, but you don't know the scale or what the area looks like because the old GPS satellite is barely functioning. You get a map that is only partially detailed, but gives you a general idea of where to look. Also it of course wouldn't be able to tell you the elevation of the item, so you figure out the clues to where it is and oh geez, it's inside a buried skyscraper...

Modern Treasure maps?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:33 (4027 days ago) @ Xenos

oh geez, it's inside a buried skyscraper...

"Come one guys, the map says it's right here, and the building doesn't look too big from the outside. We could be on our way back home in no time."

[image]

3 hours later...

"Man, that's the biggest Hive nest I'VE ever fought through, what about you guys? Guys?!?"

Modern Treasure maps?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:38 (4027 days ago) @ Mr Daax

"Come one guys, the map says it's right here, and the building doesn't look too big from the outside. We could be on our way back home in no time."

"Come on guys, they said the map is right here, and the building doesn't look too big from the outside. We could be on our way to the control room in no time."

Modern Treasure maps?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:41 (4027 days ago) @ Mr Daax

That pic reminds me of the spaceship campus Apple is building:

[image]

And it would be the best game I've ever played.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 10:44 (4027 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Modern Treasure maps?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, April 12, 2013, 05:01 (4025 days ago) @ Xenos

I like the idea of having to use an old map of how Chicago used to look before the fall, and navigate flooded streets and wrecked skyscrapers.

"ok guys, now just down 2nd Street."
"you mean the top floors of that building that is now 2nd Street? "
" Shut up, see we can take the ruined subway tunnels! "
" it's not really a subway if it's above ground now"
"shut up Marcus! "

Modern Treasure maps?

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 22:07 (4007 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I like the idea of having to use an old map of how Chicago used to look before the fall, and navigate flooded streets and wrecked skyscrapers.

"ok guys, now just down 2nd Street."
"you mean the top floors of that building that is now 2nd Street? "
" Shut up, see we can take the ruined subway tunnels! "
" it's not really a subway if it's above ground now"
"shut up Marcus! "

What's the address of the old Bungie office on South Halsted Street? You know it's going to be either packed with treasure or inhabited by some crazy hermit muttering incomprehensibly about his poor dog's lost head, giant slingshots and the like.

Modern Treasure maps?

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 06:37 (4013 days ago) @ Xenos

I think it'd be cool if they combine the idea of ancient treasure maps with modern or semi-futuristic technology. Take for example you find an old GPS locator that is telling you there is something nearby, but you don't know the scale or what the area looks like because the old GPS satellite is barely functioning. You get a map that is only partially detailed, but gives you a general idea of where to look. Also it of course wouldn't be able to tell you the elevation of the item, so you figure out the clues to where it is

You mean like geocaching :)

And actually you know, if there is an in-game gps-like system, it could be really cool if there was some kind of game mechanic that could allow players to set up their own treasure hunts. Just for fun, it would have to be (wouldn't further anything storywise), but it could spawn a geocaching-like pastime in the game world :) hehe

Modern Treasure maps?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 08:18 (4013 days ago) @ thebruce

I think it'd be cool if they combine the idea of ancient treasure maps with modern or semi-futuristic technology. Take for example you find an old GPS locator that is telling you there is something nearby, but you don't know the scale or what the area looks like because the old GPS satellite is barely functioning. You get a map that is only partially detailed, but gives you a general idea of where to look. Also it of course wouldn't be able to tell you the elevation of the item, so you figure out the clues to where it is

You mean like geocaching :)

And actually you know, if there is an in-game gps-like system, it could be really cool if there was some kind of game mechanic that could allow players to set up their own treasure hunts. Just for fun, it would have to be (wouldn't further anything storywise), but it could spawn a geocaching-like pastime in the game world :) hehe

That could be incredibly fun, it actually made me think, what if your daily challenges were semi-randomized. Like you choose to do one and at that moment it decides where you're going or what you're doing? That way if you are in a group you all do the same one, but if you aren't you may have a completely different one than someone else online.

Treasure Maps

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Friday, April 19, 2013, 19:58 (4018 days ago) @ Mr Daax

[image]

Only real OGs will get this

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread