Dead Orbit Faction Speculation

by Monochron, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 08:04 (4018 days ago)

This has probably been brought up before but in reading over at Destiny Hub I came across the icon for the Dead Orbit Faction:
[image]

So it looks pretty much like Earth with the Traveler on the top right side right? And the name gives reference (maybe) to what kind of orbit the Traveler is in with Earth. That is, its movement is complete stationary with respect to the rotation of the earth (Dead, if you will).

Following that, I am thinking that the members of the Dead Orbit Faction may base that faction entirely around the Traveler. Maybe they are fanatical worshipers or are comprised primarily of Warlocks. Bungie got all into the fanatical worshiper deal in Halo so they know how to portray that angle well. I think having different takes on the people of Earth's reaction to the Traveler would make a better storyline for it as well. That way we can view its arrival from lots of different angles.

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 08:59 (4018 days ago) @ Monochron

I remember seeing somewhere that Dead Orbit is a ship manufacturing company, not a player faction.

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 09:06 (4018 days ago) @ Monochron

Ha i just noticed that the middle of the icon sorta looks like a 7

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 09:25 (4018 days ago) @ Monochron

I haven't abandoned my theory yet that each faction is tied, somehow, to a planet or body in-game. Like they're headquartered or particularly involved with the happenings on that planet.

My only basis for this theory are the names of the factions, and how they can seem to suggest a relation with a particular planet in the Destiny world:

Dead Orbit - either Mercury or the Moon. Both are barren, and both can relate to the gray color scheme of the Dead Orbit logo

Future War Cult - Mars

New Monarchy - Jupiter (or, from what we've heard, Jupiter's moon Europa)

Osiris - dunno. The logo has kind of a Sun theme, so maybe Mercury

Seven Seraphs - no idea

I still have a couple of problems with this theory though:

1. You'd think Mars' faction would be red-themed, like New Monarchy, instead of blue-themed like FWC

2. There are only 5 factions (we know about) but 6 non-Sun bodies in the game (going by the ARG symbols)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 10:23 (4018 days ago) @ Schooly D

2. There are only 5 factions (we know about) but 6 non-Sun bodies in the game (going by the ARG symbols)

And then there's the whole "seven worlds" business from GDC.

Dead Orbit is probably a Moon-centric group.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 18:05 (4018 days ago) @ Monochron

This has probably been brought up before but in reading over at Destiny Hub I came across the icon for the Dead Orbit Faction:
[image]

The large circle is the Earth, the small one is the Moon. The outer ring represents the Moon's orbit, the black shape surrounding the Earth and the Moon represents the Earth's gravity tidally locking the Moon into place, or a Dead Orbit, if you will.

I'm also going to take a bit of a shot in the dark and guess that the symbol further points to that large circle being Earth. The big symbol may represent the sun, and the three lines under it represent that this is the third planet from it.

And the Moon was not described to have ever supported life in the Destiny universe (so far at least). Sure, it once had(has?) mines and bases and such, but the satellite itself was not capable of an atmosphere to support life on its surface. This could give a double meaning to the name *Dead* Orbit. (Apparently, even Mercury was once terraformed and habitable, and that was my only other guess for what the Dead Orbit emblem was about.)

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 18:49 (4018 days ago) @ NsU Soldier
edited by TTL Demag0gue, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 18:52

The large circle is the Earth, the small one is the Moon. The outer ring represents the Moon's orbit, the black shape surrounding the Earth and the Moon represents the Earth's gravity tidally locking the Moon into place, or a Dead Orbit, if you will.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. The large circle is the Earth, the smaller is the Traveler, and the outer ring is the Earth's atmosphere. Technically, the Traveler is also tidally locked to the Earth and in geosynchronous orbit, so I would argue that it fits the bill of a dead orbit better than even the Moon.

As for the glyph in the middle, well, that's open to interpretation.

Also, assuming that every part of the image has a meaning, the thick, black border surrounding the Earth and Traveler could be representative of the relationship between the two bodies, possibly the Traveler's protection over humanity, possibly something else entirely.

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 19:12 (4018 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zayin

ז = seven

Whoa

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 18, 2013, 19:18 (4018 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

^ What he said.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 20:33 (4018 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Just zayin...very cool, and nice find!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 21:15 (4018 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by Mr Daax, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 21:20

Also, it's interesting what it translates to in modern Hebrew. Just read the article.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 20:32 (4018 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue
edited by NsU Soldier, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 20:40

Gotta disagree with you on this one. The large circle is the Earth, the smaller is the Traveler, and the outer ring is the Earth's atmosphere. Technically, the Traveler is also tidally locked to the Earth and in geosynchronous orbit, so I would argue that it fits the bill of a dead orbit better than even the Moon.

Also, assuming that every part of the image has a meaning, the thick, black border surrounding the Earth and Traveler could be representative of the relationship between the two bodies, possibly the Traveler's protection over humanity, possibly something else entirely.

That's pretty sound and that may well be the case. And if that *were* the case (that it's a symbol showing the Traveler protecting humanity) the three lines could represent the three races (Humans, Awoken, Exo) that it protects.

A few things nag at me about it being the Traveler though. The first, and most noticeable to me, is the relative size comparison of the two circles to one another. That smaller circle is a little too large in relation to Earth to be our Moon, let alone the much, much smaller Traveler.

The second thing is the color scheme. It's dull gray like the Moon, not bright white like the Traveler.

The last thing is the word "Orbit" in the faction's name. While, I guess you could consider the Traveler being in orbit, it would be a very, very near-Earth orbit. The Moon is in a more "conventional" orbit, if you will, in that its mass is not partially within the Earth's atmosphere.

Interestingly enough, the "Dead" part of the faction's name fits both the Moon and the Traveler pretty well, just in different ways.

Addendum: Now that I think about it, if that black shape *is* representing the Traveler's protection for Humanity, it shouldn't be covering the entire Earth. The Traveler seems only able to protect The Last City, there are other places on Earth which are occupied by alien aggressors.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 22:23 (4018 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

A few things nag at me about it being the Traveler though. The first, and most noticeable to me, is the relative size comparison of the two circles to one another. That smaller circle is a little too large in relation to Earth to be our Moon, let alone the much, much smaller Traveler.

[image]

[image]

Seems about right to me personally. It may be slightly exaggerated, but our moon is ridiculously large relative to the size of Earth. It is a little bit more than a fourth of the diameter of Earth.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, April 25, 2013, 07:55 (4011 days ago) @ Xenos

Seems about right to me personally. It may be slightly exaggerated, but our moon is ridiculously large relative to the size of Earth. It is a little bit more than a fourth of the diameter of Earth.

Also, if the smaller circle represents The Traveler, there's no rule that says stylized logos have to be at proper scale.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 22:51 (4006 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

The second thing is the color scheme. It's dull gray like the Moon, not bright white like the Traveler.

To be fair, the Earth is hardly dull gray either but it only makes sense for the center circle to be the Earth...unless it's the sun, and the smaller circle is the Earth. Why Dead Orbit then? THE EARTH HAS STOPPED ORBITING THE SUN?!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread