Day 3 of the ARG has been solved

by Avateur @, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 20:44 (4088 days ago)

Here's the link to ABO summarizing everything. Be sure to check out the other days' summaries, too.

http://args.bungie.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1754

Oh, goody. More fuel for my fires.

by ExigentContact, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 21:04 (4088 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by ExigentContact, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 21:08

I've continued to advance some of my speculation, continuing off of the recent addition. It does pull a bit on leaked materials, so if you dislike looking into that stuff, don't read on ahead. I won't put the text here, and instead link for safety. I'll be expanding it in the days ahead. Hope this doesn't come off as too "advertisement"-y for my stuff. Alas.

Destiny Speculation

Oh, goody. More fuel for my fires.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 21:30 (4088 days ago) @ ExigentContact

Hope this doesn't come off as too "advertisement"-y for my stuff. Alas.

I don't think it does at all. I think it's clear you're providing the content for those who want it, while acknowledging that not everyone would appreciate having it placed in front of their eyes without warning.

Re: Oh, goody. More fuel for my fires.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 21:53 (4088 days ago) @ ExigentContact
edited by NsU Soldier, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 22:28

I've continued to advance some of my speculation, continuing off of the recent addition. It does pull a bit on leaked materials, so if you dislike looking into that stuff, don't read on ahead. I won't put the text here, and instead link for safety. I'll be expanding it in the days ahead. Hope this doesn't come off as too "advertisement"-y for my stuff. Alas.

Destiny Speculation

Some really good speculation in there!

I just want to add that if the second text is about Mars becoming habitable, it would be because of terraforming not a natural cycle or what have you. Especially if this is about someone analyzing humanity.

Why do I think this?

"Your voice flows across the red rock
and through the dead valleys, speaking in code
and goads."

I take that to mean that the terraformers (humanity) are guiding the process (goading), probably through some sort of mechanical means (code).

Also...

"Every moment matters. And from a great
distance, in the midst of a thousand careful
disasters, you watch the transformation
with your own eyes."

"Careful disasters" speak of engineering, ergo me thinking it's been purposefully terraformed. And watching these unfold from "a great distance" makes me think of a ship in space guiding multiple processes down on the Martian surface.

Cool stuff.

Re: Oh, goody. More fuel for my fires.

by ExigentContact, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 07:45 (4087 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

Very good observation. My line of thinking was more "yeah, this is terraforming, but is it one that is technologically aided, or a gradual reseeding?" There are currently some working ideas to terraform Mars with little more than greenhouses and Earth plants in real life. It would be an arduously slow process, at first, but certainly fitting with "goading" and the like. Of course, the extent of technological interference may simply only be computer monitors observing the action. Code could also refer to a certain ideological method to terraforming, though that is unlikely.

"Careful disasters" is also very interesting because it could mean a variety of things. My first thought is that it meant whoever is behind the process is/was bombarding the surface with culled asteroids with that contain water and other life-supporting materials. That's a more far-fetched method of terraforming. It could also refer to the notion of gradual reseeding, which basically uses global warming-- a very deleterious (and hot button issue in modern times) method back here on Earth.

But going back over it, I'm in concurrence. It's a man-made rebirth, perhaps using slower, naturalistic methods that are feasible in today's theories and models. The way our narrator (who I believe is The Traveler) is speaking makes it seem like a dialogue meant for us, humanity. Its observations on the Solar System, the planets, and mankind.

More thoughts on the meaning behind the ARGs

by petetheduck, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 08:55 (4087 days ago) @ ExigentContact

Warning: discussion of leaked content follows

Like you, ExigentContact, I also think these messages are from the perspective of the Traveler. I also think that they are related to their corresponding planet, but not necessarily about the planet itself (for example, Day 1 seems to be more about humanity than the moon).

Day 1:
The best voices--voices that truly matter--never
allow themselves be heard. This lesson is worth
learning again and again.

Forever.

Your voice moves as whispers, murmurs and urges
inside larger winds. Only the trusted few can absorb
what is necessary. Wise and sly and perfect, your
instructions drop, leaving nothing but the hard sweet
rime of enlightenment.

The path is set. Your voice is unleashed. Except now
it is gone...

And maybe it never was.

I believe the first two paragraphs are the Traveler's introduction, and it tells us a few things about the Traveler. It is very old, very knowledgeable, and does not communicate.

We learn that humans were just one of many species in the galaxy, and a rather insignificant species at that. Then, either through our own efforts or through a discovery, humanity became a spacefaring race... and was then nearly exterminated.

These are all ideas that the leaked content seems to support.

Day 2:
Life waits inside this world's bones.

Your voice flows across the red rock
and through the dead valleys, speaking in code
and goads.

Ancient volcanoes swell, exploding at their
peaks and splitting wide along their
shoulders. Ash clouds blacken the starved
air. A fossil ocean of ice softens and
collapses; geysers erupt, tall as mountains,
throwing up steam and clouds.

Every moment matters. And from a great
distance, in the midst of a thousand careful
disasters, you watch the transformation
with your own eyes.

The rose has blossomed.

I think this is pretty straight-forward: At some point, we terraformed Mars. What I find interesting about this is that it is written in present tense. If, as the leaked content suggests, there is only one human city left--then there's no way we could currently be terraforming Mars. Either the tense of these messages are irrelevant, or the Traveler has been watching us for a long time.

Day 3:
One face is blistered, the other plunged into
a brutal chill. Is this how it's always been?

You remember hot oceans, nourishing
atmosphere. But something transpired,
kicked what was wet and fertile into space,
stealing away everything of value. Or
perhaps what thrived here for a day or for
ten million years decided to leave, peeling
its wet organics off the bones.

A name offers itself, and another, and a
thousand more.

The answer feels like the iron heart of a
collapsed star, and you realize the union
between the past and the future is now.

There's no reason not to expect this to apply to Mercury. At some point, Mercury supported life--perhaps not human life, though. I'm getting a Reaper vibe--that whatever is attacking humanity has attacked many species (names), and that the union of the past and future is the realization that the cycle is happening again--another species is being exterminated. The iron heart of a collapsed star could refer to a black hole--a truth that cannot be escaped.

More thoughts on the meaning behind the ARGs

by zappy13, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 15:55 (4087 days ago) @ petetheduck

Stars usually collapse without forming black holes, and do so when their core becomes iron, as it takes more energy to fuse iron than you get from the reaction. The core of old, dead stars is literally iron.

Re: More thoughts on the meaning behind the ARGs

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 16:43 (4087 days ago) @ zappy13

Stars usually collapse without forming black holes, and do so when their core becomes iron, as it takes more energy to fuse iron than you get from the reaction. The core of old, dead stars is literally iron.

"The answer feels like the iron heart of a
collapsed star, and you realize the union
between the past and the future is now."

My current go-to interpretation of that is "the answer" makes one reminisce about what once was. A sense of loss of something's former glory? Like an ancient Mercurian civilization that is no longer? ;)

by MrGreencastle, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 21:04 (4088 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by MrGreencastle, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 21:08

Nice summary. Maybe put the revised instructions in there, too? Bungie had changed/added to them a few hours ago when we were having trouble solving it.

Edit: referring to this "Think not of locations, but the spacings between, as seen from each target. While one hemisphere provides a strong center, the other must heed the call in order to bring light to the unknown."

As well as the amendment under the left image: "v-resolution particularly limited.]"

by Avateur @, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 19:34 (4087 days ago) @ MrGreencastle

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't even notice the change, though we did include that in today's posts. I'm updating yesterday's summary now.

Reminds me of something

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 21:08 (4088 days ago) @ Avateur

New passage makes me think of this.

Re: Day 3 of the ARG has been solved

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 22:03 (4088 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by NsU Soldier, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 22:28

Here's the link to ABO summarizing everything. Be sure to check out the other days' summaries, too.

http://args.bungie.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1754

Man, that IS cryptic.

While I think ExigentContact is on the right track by thinking this is about Mercury due to this line...

"One face is blistered, the other plunged into
a brutal chill. Is this how it's always been?"

I can't really make much sense of the rest of it.

"You remember hot oceans, nourishing
atmosphere. But something transpired,
kicked what was wet and fertile into space,
stealing away everything of value..."

Apparently it was once habitable? That should be impossible given how close it is to the sun.

Unless...

"...Or perhaps what thrived here for a day or for
ten million years decided to leave
, peeling
its wet organics off the bones."

Now THAT'S interesting. Is that suggesting that another pre-Human civilization once made it habitable through artificial means? Then one day they just up and left leaving the Mercury we know of today? The plot thickens.

I can't make sense out of the last two parts though.

For now, that is. ;)

Or maybe...

by Blue Ninja, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 02:44 (4087 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

I'm not really up to date with all the speculations, but perhaps it's possible this is talking about Earth? We remember oceans and the like, but then something left and they disappeared. Maybe the Earth became tidally locked to the sun in the process, and whoever wrote the text is wondering if it was always like that.

Or maybe...

by ExigentContact, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 08:17 (4087 days ago) @ Blue Ninja
edited by ExigentContact, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 08:24

I doubt it, considering that the description makes this place out to be extremely barren. What we've seen of artistic representation in the mock-ups seem to indicate Earth is still capable of supporting life just fine. It's possible, but I find it much more likely to be Mercury when taking into consideration the nature of each of these text panels (each of the geomantic symbols ties back to a god/planet, and Wednesday's symbols was "Albus"--typically associated with Mercury).

The narrator seems to think there are "a thousand" names that could potentially have lived on the surface. Whoever the narrator is referring to (likely man) "remembers" a more hospitable climate. "Remember" in this case is rather important in the wording. Is it a direct memory, or one that stems from scientific observation? Did mankind terraform Mercury and watch it fail, or was there something else that lived here than humanity discovered during their Golden Age?

"Names" of course, is likely referring to species. So what lived here? Why did it leave? My only possible speculation (and this is raw speculation on my part) is that the Traveler has either been here before and assisted some other races to ascension (think Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke), or the race here left of their own accord, with The Traveler merely observing. Here's some more crazy conjecture: what if our main alien enemy originated or at least called the Solar System home? What if they had a home on Mercury, and left due to bad circumstances? What if they are seeking to reclaim what they see as theirs in Destiny?

We go to the last lines:

"The answer feels like the iron heart of a collapsed star,
and you realize the union between the past and the future is now."

If our enemy lived in the Solar System long ago, then them returning to take back what they feel is theirs through violence would probably fill one with a sense of dread--the feeling of collapsed star's heart, perhaps. A dearth of hope, certainly. Perhaps we're realizing that the past (the enemy) and the future (humanity) are to meet in battle (union), and that the battle is coming soon (now).

Or maybe...

by Blue Ninja, Friday, February 15, 2013, 08:43 (4086 days ago) @ ExigentContact

As long as we won't be getting geas and ancient humans, it's all fine by me.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 06:16 (4087 days ago) @ Avateur

...and I was out hiking on Toronto Island all day; missed all the fun...

4 days left!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread