Help us design a Deeply Flawed Raiders t-shirt! (DBO)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:10 (3209 days ago)

Howdy DBOers!

Bigarm and I have been talking about having a t-shirt since our unique crew of raiders was first named, and we're finally asking for help.

The Deeply Flawed Raiders have been raiding for many months now, and it's always an adventure. We take an odd pride in our imperfections. Our raids are like Navajo rugs—if we ever got close to getting that flawless trophy, I’m sure one or several of us would have to suicide for fear of offending the RNG gods. To commemorate our inherent fallibility, we’d like to create a t-shirt, and we’d like your help.

Some guidelines

1. Submit a design in this thread before June 22th at 5 p.m.

2. We'd prefer you include the words “Deeply Flawed Raiders” in your design, but if you have a great design that somehow manages to communicate that without words, well, let's see it!

3. Collaborate! History has shown that this forum is full of artistic geniuses with a flair for design, and when we critique each other we get better. Make suggestions, offer feedback.

4. A simple design is probably best--it should look good on a t-shirt, so limit the colors. Bigarm and I will choose, and we might have a third TBD DBOer to cast a tie-breaking vote, if necessary.

Not a contest exactly

But there probably will be a parting gift for the person whose design is chosen. This may be physical and/or digital (and if the latter, you may not get it until September ;)).

I anticipate this being a lot of fun.

Be creative and have at it, guardians!

<3

Kermit

+1 will buy

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 11:21 (3209 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

+1 will pay crazy shipping rates

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:38 (3209 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

My deeply flawed submission

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:00 (3209 days ago) @ Kermit

PvP AND PvE!

Our Truth rockets fire true....
[image]

Vault of fail
[image]

*do not use these (unless someone arts them up haha)*

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:31 (3209 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Vault of fail
[image]

*do not use these (unless someone arts them up haha)*

My first idea was a detailed silhouette of a team making those jumps, but one Hunter in the back missing the disappearing platform (any guesses who that could be?). It would look awesome... If I had any art skills... or a functional computer.

Wrong raid team, Mr. Flawless :p

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:36 (3209 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Bigarm41, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:05 (3208 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Hey, that guardian falling upside down off the far right platform looks familiar!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:19 (3208 days ago) @ Bigarm41

Where's the FoH Titan showing off and missing the platform by miles? :p

It should just be a bunch of death orbs....

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:07 (3208 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Caaaaan dooooooo!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:27 (3208 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

[image]

Caaaaan dooooooo!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:21 (3208 days ago) @ Revenant1988

[image]

I like the thinking here (with more polish ;)). Would prefer Deeply Flawed Raiders appear, since that's kind of the punchline.

Caaaaan dooooooo!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:27 (3208 days ago) @ Kermit

Well ya, just put that on the front or back I'm clearly not a concept artist LOL

Caaaaan dooooooo!

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 17:46 (3208 days ago) @ Revenant1988

[image]

CC

Submission

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:55 (3208 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

A few minor edits.

1. I'd change "RAID GROUP" to "RAIDERS".

2. I'd put the DBO logo on one sleeve.
[image]

3. I'd put the Destiny logo on the other sleeve.
[image]

4. (Obvious) Change the name of the third raid.

Submission

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:59 (3208 days ago) @ red robber

Just realized looking at it that someone may assume the X's to mean completion, when my mind was thinking big red X for failures. Maybe the X's could become the word FAIL in red or put an extra column of empty boxes reserved for what is supposed to be the pass column.

Submission

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:25 (3208 days ago) @ red robber

What if we mocked up the interface (PS or Xbox) for achievements/trophies, show the placeholder for Flawless Raider, crossed out "Flawless" and overwrote with Deeply Flawed?

Submission

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:33 (3208 days ago) @ Kermit

Good idea... now how to implement that using my lack of art skills.

One idea

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:18 (3208 days ago) @ Kermit

We welcome ideas described by people without the time or resources to mock them up.

Here's one from me.

Retro script like you see here: [image]

Along with a revive indicator, a "revive" ghost, or the silhouette of a fallen guardian. (All three might be too much, but you get the idea.)

Just a thought.

Kermit

I like this idea a lot!

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 17:47 (3208 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

I know what I'm doing tonight!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:18 (3208 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:25 (3208 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Thoughts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:05 (3208 days ago) @ Kermit

I would focus on your successes as much as your 'flawed' nature. Something silly and boneheaded on the front, but something triumphant on the back perhaps?

Thoughts

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 02:18 (3208 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Interesting take. By the way, our self-deprecation is all in good fun. I think we've also taken pride in some relatively smooth runs. One goal of the T-shirt is to elicit a good laugh from other Destiny players we may run into.

I love those runs we have that are so smooth.....

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 15:41 (3207 days ago) @ Kermit

And then we make silly mistakes or get over-confident and careless....

Those are the best. Laughing along with this raid crew is the best.

CC

:)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 16:41 (3207 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

Thoughts

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 23:13 (3207 days ago) @ Kermit

I like what Cody is saying though. We've had some awesome(ly flawed) moments.

I quite like the idea of six Sunsingers self-resurrecting with the caption "Round 2", or something similar. Except only about 2 of us play Warlocks as their mains, so maybe not as a Deeply Flawed shirt but a general one.

Deeply Flawed Raiders t-shirt #1

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 19:21 (3206 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Haha! Love it :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 19:27 (3206 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 20:08 (3206 days ago) @ breitzen

Heh. That's great!

Can't decide if I want to flip the front and back, though.

I'm thinking that "Deeply Flawed Raiders" is the punch line, and "Return to orbit" is what comedians call the tag.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 21:30 (3206 days ago) @ breitzen

[image]

Change the 'Y' to a triangle, and you've got my support!

We can totally have two versions! :)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 21:57 (3206 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I kinda want to see the "wipe skull" on center back...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 21:59 (3206 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

I kinda want to see the "wipe skull" on center back...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 22:08 (3206 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My second design incorporates this... You'll see soon enough. ;)

Rough Mock-up

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 19, 2015, 11:24 (3206 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Hello, everyone! So, here's the (very) rough version I began work on back in February, when Kermit first started throwing around the idea of a group t-shirt. It's actually quite similar to Revenant's 'Vault of Fail' concept; the silhouettes of six Guardians would be running, jumping, and (of course) falling across the letters of 'Deeply Flawed Raiders' text (following the red arrow), which were set in a font that's supposed to be reminiscent of Vex architecture. I'd imagined the Raid icon to be in the background or on the back of the shirt as well.

Let me know what you think! Now that I have a little more time on my hands, I could polish this thing up or help with another design if chosen.

I like this a lot

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, June 19, 2015, 12:45 (3206 days ago) @ Bones

I really like the idea of incorporating the DFR name into the jumping puzzle. That puzzle really epitomises a lot of the DFR for me - hilarity, death, and eventual glorious triumph (Followed by more hilarity and death as someone Solar Winds me off the cliff). That, the Lanterns and the Initial conflux phases in the Templar's Well are some of my favourite DFR moments.

Selfish wish: I'd love to see a showboating Fist of Havoc gone awry plummeting towards the bottom of the tee.

Fantastic!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 19, 2015, 13:34 (3205 days ago) @ Bones

Simple, but more than just the words.

Great job, Bones.

If you want to apply your talents to anything of the other ideas here, that would be great. A few have been mocked up and can use refinement, and some others have been only described.

I like this!!

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Monday, June 29, 2015, 18:36 (3195 days ago) @ Bones

you should put 6 death orbs at the bottom of the shirt like in the bottom of the vault

CC

From Destroyoboy

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 19, 2015, 13:48 (3205 days ago) @ Kermit

Destroyoboy sent me some ideas via e-mail, and since we'd like this to be a collaborative effort by the community, I'm posting them here.

[image]

[image]

[image]

These crack me up--especially the first one.

He also said this: "I also had an idea to portray the DFR as our favorite characters like a comic book cover."

I'd also like to see something like that if someone with the ability to do something like that without too much effort.

From Destroyoboy

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Monday, June 29, 2015, 18:35 (3195 days ago) @ Kermit

Yes please on the comic book cover idea.....that last shirt had me dying laughing

CC

Update

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:33 (3195 days ago) @ Kermit

The deadline was last Monday, but given that I launched this effort at absolutely the worst time in terms of Destiny news, I'm going to reboot this soon. Feel free to continue to share you ideas, though.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread