No Destiny for me for a while... (Recruitment)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Friday, June 19, 2015, 21:09 (3231 days ago)

Just scrubbed my Nightfall strike on the group-finder, as my Xbox's power supply appears to be shot. *sigh* Will take a bit to explore further, but I suspect I'll be spending quality time with the Support guys again.*

-- Steve hates it when that happens.

* I say "again", but this is the first time my X1's given me any trouble.

No Destiny for me for a while...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 19, 2015, 21:27 (3231 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Let it cool off unplugged. Seems this happened to me once.

^^^ This. My wife literally just called me about this.

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 19, 2015, 22:13 (3231 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Left it unplugged overnight; looks like it reset. *Phew*

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 22:48 (3230 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, June 22, 2015, 14:38 (3229 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Good news. Glad you're back online.

I just wanted to say that if it is overheating, unplugging it for a while may get it back - but unless the conditions change, there's no reason to think it won't happen again. If you do get a similar issue in the future, put your hand on the power supply (carefully) to see if it's abnormally hot. If it is, then the next time you get it to turn on, check to see if the internal fan is running (you should be able to hear a mechanical noise with your ear up against the brick).

I had a 360 power supply that the fan stopped running inside. I was able to disassemble it, oil the fan motor's shaft, and put it back together. That was 2 or 3 years ago, and it's still working.

On the other hand, it may not have been a heat issue. I've had a few experiences with PCs where they'll refuse to turn on despite being briefly unplugged. Then I'll have the person leave it unplugged for 5 or 10 minutes (which, the first couple of times, I thought seemed silly), and it works. In the instances I'm remembering, the issue did not reoccur, which means it probably wasn't heat. But I'm not sure what it WAS. The only thing I can figure is that through a power surge or some other random anomaly, a circuit got into a state of charge that it wasn't supposed to be able to get into, and cutting it off completely allowed it to reset to its normal state. Not that I pretend to understand the particulars of how that would work.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 22, 2015, 15:09 (3229 days ago) @ stabbim

Good news. Glad you're back online.

I just wanted to say that if it is overheating, unplugging it for a while may get it back - but unless the conditions change, there's no reason to think it won't happen again. If you do get a similar issue in the future, put your hand on the power supply (carefully) to see if it's abnormally hot. If it is, then the next time you get it to turn on, check to see if the internal fan is running (you should be able to hear a mechanical noise with your ear up against the brick).

I had a 360 power supply that the fan stopped running inside. I was able to disassemble it, oil the fan motor's shaft, and put it back together. That was 2 or 3 years ago, and it's still working.

On the other hand, it may not have been a heat issue. I've had a few experiences with PCs where they'll refuse to turn on despite being briefly unplugged. Then I'll have the person leave it unplugged for 5 or 10 minutes (which, the first couple of times, I thought seemed silly), and it works. In the instances I'm remembering, the issue did not reoccur, which means it probably wasn't heat. But I'm not sure what it WAS. The only thing I can figure is that through a power surge or some other random anomaly, a circuit got into a state of charge that it wasn't supposed to be able to get into, and cutting it off completely allowed it to reset to its normal state. Not that I pretend to understand the particulars of how that would work.

I think this hypothesis has merit. When this happened to me it was after a power surge. (I think that's what happened--there was a pop and everything turned off. Scary!)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, June 22, 2015, 15:28 (3228 days ago) @ stabbim

I had a 360 power supply that the fan stopped running inside.

I had that happen to my 360 too; didn't try to strip it as the replacement was free

The only thing I can figure is that through a power surge or some other random anomaly, a circuit got into a state of charge that it wasn't supposed to be able to get into, and cutting it off completely allowed it to reset to its normal state. Not that I pretend to understand the particulars of how that would work.

That's what I suspect in this case; my Xbox hadn't been on for a day or two before trying to start it, so heat couldn't have been the culprit unless the damage was latent from the last session, but there had been a brief power outage in my building between then and the last session.

-- Steve's just glad it reset; he's seriously thinking of getting the plug-in OTA HDTV tuner accessory in a couple of weeks.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, June 22, 2015, 16:47 (3228 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

-- Steve's just glad it reset; he's seriously thinking of getting the plug-in OTA HDTV tuner accessory in a couple of weeks.

Wait, are they actually selling that thing now?

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, June 22, 2015, 17:20 (3228 days ago) @ stabbim

Wait, are they actually selling that thing now?

Yup.

-- Steve's envied Europe's early access to this, and is glad it's finally come to fruition on this side of the pond.

Holy moly! That's expensive!

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 22, 2015, 17:34 (3228 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I'll just keep using my $8 antenna and press the input button once, thanks.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 00:02 (3228 days ago) @ Funkmon

Probably worth it for me. For reasons I don't care to go into, I don't really want the TV itself doing the tuning, and I'm not sure this is any more expensive than a decent standalone tuner box. It's also going to integrate better with the XBone than one of those using the Kinect/IR blaster solution (although it's nice that the Kinect can do that).

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 12:45 (3228 days ago) @ Funkmon

It ain't cheap, but it integrates into the X1 directly so I get to use the guide (unlike my current settop box) and right now it comes with an absurdly-generous discount on a much better antenna than the barely-adequate cheapo I have now. Plus since I'm not taking a vacation anywhere this year I have some spare change I can afford to splurge on a new gadget.

-- Steve's also replacing his old CRT TV set and CRT computer monitor during his staycation; together that's almost 150lbs of glass & lead to shed.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 23:17 (3229 days ago) @ Kermit

Let it cool off unplugged. Seems this happened to me once.

Yup. Happened to me, once, too. Was in a middle of a raid, had to drop and wait til the next day to play.

by naturl selexion, Friday, June 19, 2015, 22:27 (3231 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Happened to me once too, bought a replacement power supply but then the original one started working again. Still have the replacement as a spare.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread