What type of Game will Destiny be?

by RookB312, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 16:04 (4086 days ago)

From some the descriptions, it may seem that it would be an MMO, but Bungie's past would indicate a console game. Will it be Bungie's classic moments of FPS action, or maybe an omniscient strategy game. I just want to know if it's going to be something I'll want to play.

by katancik ⌂ @, Portland, OR/ University of Texas, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 16:14 (4086 days ago) @ RookB312

Why would it being a console game rule out being an MMO?

Anyway, I think it's something different. Something we haven't really seen before. I think MMO would be doing their "new world" an injustice. We will see on Sunday (or maybe not), but you can color me excited!

by MrGreencastle, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 22:45 (4085 days ago) @ katancik

Agreed. It was described once as Massively-multiplayer-style. We know it's probably an FPS, but the networking/social model is probably the biggest innovation here. That's what I'm hyped about, that and that people have been talking about the scale. Keighley hypes, but in Bungie's last ViDoc, he says "There's a scale to this that people haven't really seen before". They emphasize throughout the ViDoc, bigger, exploration, bolder. It's like they know just what I like... lol

MMORPFPRTSG

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 16:14 (4086 days ago) @ RookB312

I just want to know if it's going to be something I'll want to play.

Whatever it is, if its made by Bungie...well, nothing clever to say actually, you'll probably just want to buy it. All the cool kids are doing it. You don't want to be left behind, right?

by SquallLeonE, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 16:19 (4086 days ago) @ RookB312

Based on the leaked documents a bit ago, I'm thinking it'll be an FPS with some(or maybe even many) MMO elements. Bungie also said in the video at the start of this article(which is a good read btw) that they're looking to create a game where users can create their own stories, compared to developers creating a scripted story. The closest game that I think currently matches that description is EVE online, where massive and interesting events happen without the developers having a hand in it. I would cream my pants if Bungie pulled that off in an FPS game.

by yakaman, Friday, February 15, 2013, 10:15 (4085 days ago) @ SquallLeonE

The closest game that I think currently matches that description is EVE online, where massive and interesting events happen without the developers having a hand in it. I would cream my pants if Bungie pulled that off in an FPS game.

I might also. Some of the shenanigans I've read about EVE are awesome - it's almost as if it is a universe unto itself. The best of the Halo narrative was minimalist. In Halo 1 there was almost no story exposition. There was extremely limited narration via Cortana and 343GS.

GS's comments where the most important, the most "WTF am I missing?" in the entire series. And, one may have missed them entirely during the Library. Where only trace structure existed, community exposition flourished.

Chess simulator. *NM*

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 16:39 (4086 days ago) @ RookB312

From some the descriptions, it may seem that it would be an MMO, but Bungie's past would indicate a console game. Will it be Bungie's classic moments of FPS action, or maybe an omniscient strategy game. I just want to know if it's going to be something I'll want to play.

That's comforting actually…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 17:44 (4086 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

… because so was Reach. :)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 16:40 (4086 days ago) @ RookB312

We don't really know yet, but there have been hints (see above). I'll chip in another hint we got, from Joe Staten at a GDC presentation; it's likely to be set in a persistant world, so actions we take will affect the environment. (If it does end up MMO, then I hope it'd affect the environment for everyone...)

-- Steve's definitely looking forward to the reveal, when we'll hopefully learn a lot more.

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 17:08 (4086 days ago) @ RookB312

My bet: third person shooter with character stats/equipment/armor set in a persistent online world with heavy emphasis on co-op play. That's what I want, at least.

I imagine it being third person mostly because if you're going to be playing with other people, you most likely are going to have character customization on a pretty good level, and if so, having the camera out like that will let the player see their customized character all the time.

FPSMMO please

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 17:53 (4086 days ago) @ kanbo

I actually hope it's first person not third person. I like being able to customize my character but the movement always feels weird to me in third person games (I know that a lot of that is psychological, but still) and first person games always feel more real.

Here's what you do:

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:11 (4086 days ago) @ Xenos

Tribes-style movement in a PvE cooperative game across a vast, sprawling game world.

What do you do for good fun when you get online? You invite your friends, and the group of you go skiing and jetpacking across the boundless snowy arctic regions at 100 m/s, exploring the world and protecting yourselves against the enormous and deadly ninjamammoths.

And when things get more serious and intense? The massive-scale cooperative "raid deep into the territory of the Bad Dudes and recover the flag" quests will blow your mind.

FPSMMO please

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:11 (4086 days ago) @ Xenos

I actually hope it's first person not third person. I like being able to customize my character but the movement always feels weird to me in third person games (I know that a lot of that is psychological, but still) and first person games always feel more real.

I generally prefer first-person for shooters, but I'm still pushing for this to be third-person (preferably not over-the-shoulder). I don't like it when I'm in a game like Fallout or Elder Scrolls where I can do a lot of character customization but then never see it again. I know that those games have options to play in third person, but man it feels strange when you switch.

FPSMMO please

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 19:02 (4085 days ago) @ kanbo

I don't like it when I'm in a game like Fallout or Elder Scrolls where I can do a lot of character customization but then never see it again. I know that those games have options to play in third person, but man it feels strange when you switch.

I do like it when a game lets you see your carefully created character from time to time, kind of like in Halo Reach and Halo 4 how armor abilities allow you to see your character for a second. Since it may be an MMO style game they could take that to another level where certain moves or skills show your character from a third person perspective.

FPSMMO please

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 19:34 (4085 days ago) @ kanbo

I generally prefer first-person for shooters, but I'm still pushing for this to be third-person (preferably not over-the-shoulder). I don't like it when I'm in a game like Fallout or Elder Scrolls where I can do a lot of character customization but then never see it again. I know that those games have options to play in third person, but man it feels strange when you switch.

But, you, why... huh?

Like in Racing games, I have come to the conclusion that 1st/3rd person should be a customisable option in action games.

FPSMMO please

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 19:41 (4085 days ago) @ RC

But, you, why... huh?

Control-wise, I mean. Like Xenos said, it's cool when the camera pops out from the normal first-person to a special third-person view for a unique animation (like the awesome killshots in Fallout). It's different, though, to play the game normally but from the third person perspective. The character animations don't match up as well to the movement, for example. The game wasn't designed around the third-person experience, so it controls a little differently. Some people may like it just fine, but I've never been able to play third-person for very long in Skyrim or New Vegas.

FPSMMO please

by yakaman, Friday, February 15, 2013, 10:28 (4085 days ago) @ kanbo

Some people may like it just fine, but I've never been able to play third-person for very long in Skyrim or New Vegas.

Me neither, which is why I love the kill-cam so much in those games. Fable I and II are good examples of highly customize-able 3rd-person games I enjoyed. The combat was pretty decent and the camera management was good.

However, 3rd-person for a shooter seems...odd to me. I know GoW, ME, and Dead Space (among others) do this to good effect, but would it work? Wait - I almost forgot that I loved multi-player in Transformers: FoC. So, maybe.

FPSMMO please

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 11:10 (4085 days ago) @ yakaman

However, 3rd-person for a shooter seems...odd to me. I know GoW, ME, and Dead Space (among others) do this to good effect, but would it work? Wait - I almost forgot that I loved multi-player in Transformers: FoC. So, maybe.

I really enjoy those games, but when I think of Destiny, I usually imagine third-person closer to Lost Planet or Grand Theft Auto, rather than a closer over-the-shoulder. I'm not sure if I read this somewhere (maybe I'm just making things up), but it's how it's always appeared in my mind.

FPS with mirrors - problem solved

by scarab @, Friday, February 15, 2013, 02:48 (4085 days ago) @ RC
edited by scarab, Friday, February 15, 2013, 02:52

And theatre so that the self-absorbed can admire themselves.

Plus an 'armour ability' that creates a double that you can walk around and admire if no mirrors available.

Or maybe a mirror could be carried as equipment.

by MrGreencastle, Friday, February 15, 2013, 03:21 (4085 days ago) @ scarab

Just put water and reflections everywhere. Lakes, rivers, glaciers, alien shiny stuff... and combinations of those, too. Then I can look at my beautiful self and want to explore the world to find more things that will allow me to look at myself. What reflective surface will I find next?

SPS - problem solved

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, February 15, 2013, 07:38 (4085 days ago) @ MrGreencastle

Second-person shooter. You see yourself through the eyes of your enemies.

SPS - problem solved

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 15, 2013, 07:43 (4085 days ago) @ bluerunner

Navigating blind corners might be difficult. I fear the constantly jumping viewpoint as you fly overhead enemies.

SPS almost seems more likely than mirrors at this point.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, February 15, 2013, 10:45 (4085 days ago) @ bluerunner

Real-time reflections made their way into Halo 1, but then vanished forever because Bungie realized that they were kind of expensive. Seems like Bungie toyed with the idea for Halo 3, but it didn't make it into the final game. (Frankie once suggested in a bulletin that it's still there for visors and such in Halo 3's SP, but as far as I can tell that's full of crap. The game has a somewhat neat system for transitioning between regions with their own baked cubemaps, but that's it.)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 05:58 (4084 days ago) @ MrGreencastle

So THIS is how Horatio got started. Haha.

/Endless Space joke

by yakaman, Friday, February 15, 2013, 10:20 (4085 days ago) @ scarab

And theatre so that the self-absorbed can admire themselves.

Plus an 'armour ability' that creates a double that you can walk around and admire if no mirrors available.

Or maybe a mirror could be carried as equipment.

That's why MMO - I could be your mirror-bearer, since I suck at shooting!

Deal: stay on my left side, it's my best profile

by scarab @, Friday, February 15, 2013, 13:28 (4085 days ago) @ yakaman
edited by scarab, Friday, February 15, 2013, 13:32

Next: I need someone to strew my path with rose petals.

What was that [link=http://www.carlysimon.com/You're_So_Vain.html#.UR6olzvEj54]Carly[/link]?

Is my link bad or is editing links broken?

http://www.carlysimon.com/You're_So_Vain.html#.UR6olzvEj54

Destiny is 3rd person when in the city

by scarab @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 14:23 (4083 days ago) @ kanbo

so you can admire your look

This is Destiny

by ExigentContact, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:04 (4086 days ago) @ RookB312

It will be a corridor first person shootbang with QTEs with a campaign riddled with setpiece moments meant to to appeal to dudebro gamers.

Or it will be something far more meaningful.

More seriously, it's likely to be a shooter of some sort (third or first person) with persistent, MMO-like elements and RPG-like customization. It's likely to have vehicles and I would surmise space travel as well, but we'll see.

It'll likely be harder to categorize than previous Bungie productions.

This is Destiny

by FronkRiki, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 19:57 (4085 days ago) @ ExigentContact

Exactly, I imagine it will be a bit like Borderlands but with much more to it.

it will be space

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 19:29 (4085 days ago) @ RookB312

space flight, space fight, space walk, space talk. space all day everyday.

Space. Space. Gotta got to space.

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Friday, February 15, 2013, 02:22 (4085 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

So much Space. Gotta see it all. Too much space. Miss Earth. Earth. Earth. Gotta go to Earth.

I wanna fly a spaceship!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, February 15, 2013, 07:34 (4085 days ago) @ bryan newman

Everybody is talking about what planets we might be on, but I really just want to know if we can fly around in space. I would just have fun flying around in my own customized spaceship, just doing laps around planets. Exploring cities on the ground is cool and all, but I wanna explore space. I also want to see hundreds and thousands of other people flying their ships around the planets too.

I wanna fly a spaceship!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 08:50 (4085 days ago) @ bluerunner

I wanna fly a spaceship!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, February 15, 2013, 09:14 (4085 days ago) @ stabbim

I want it to be one aspect of the game, but not the entire game.

I wanna fly a spaceship!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 09:34 (4085 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yeah, I hear you. Could be tough to combine that with an FPS game, but then Bungie does have a history of integrating on-foot FPS gameplay with vehicular transport.

*In all fairness, flying a ship is like 5% of Eve. The rest is using 3rd-party software to plan out what gear to put on your ship, and what skills to train. Don't get sucked into that game, you won't see daylight for a year. :P

I wanna fly a spaceship!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 15, 2013, 10:04 (4085 days ago) @ stabbim

Indeed. EVE is great, but it will also destroy you!

Try Dust 514

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Friday, February 15, 2013, 16:14 (4085 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It is the FPS portion of EVE, you interact with the PC players to an extent. PS3 exclusive though. Damn awesome concept.

Try Dust 514

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 15, 2013, 16:18 (4085 days ago) @ bryan newman

You know I haven't even taken the time to look at a screenshot of Dust. Is it actually any good?

Try Dust 514

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Friday, February 15, 2013, 18:53 (4085 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I got my hands on the Beta and have had a fun enough time. Regardless of how annoying I find the dualshock controller to be.

I wanna fly a spaceship!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, February 15, 2013, 09:18 (4085 days ago) @ bluerunner

Often, before a game comes out, I daydream about all the glory to come. One of my constant daydreams about Destiny is the ability to fly from the ground up through the atmosphere and escape into space, and then the reverse. All without loading screens. Especially if a planet comes up as a tiny dot and you fly toward it as it gets bigger and bigger and bigger and BAM! smacked right into it.

I wanna fly a spaceship!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 09:39 (4085 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Especially if a planet comes up as a tiny dot and you fly toward it as it gets bigger and bigger and bigger and BAM! smacked right into it.

This is the new "traffic cone death."

That's no moon... *NM*

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Friday, February 15, 2013, 16:15 (4085 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

-

Wasn't there a game like that posted on HBO way back?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 15, 2013, 22:31 (4084 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I mean, maybe not a full-blown game, but I believe it was very functional in that particular part.

Wasn't there a game like that posted on HBO way back?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 15, 2013, 22:38 (4084 days ago) @ ZackDark

I mean, maybe not a full-blown game, but I believe it was very functional in that particular part.

There's been a few that can do that. There's that Kerbal Space Program game where you can build and launch multistage rockets with somewhat realistic physics all that way into Earth orbit. That was the one used to simulate the ODST droppods reentering recently.

SSSSSPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAACCCCEEEE!

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 16:45 (4085 days ago) @ bryan newman

So much Space. Gotta see it all. Too much space. Miss Earth. Earth. Earth. Gotta go to Earth.

You're my density

by Ibeechu ⌂ @, Portland, OR, Friday, February 15, 2013, 04:39 (4085 days ago) @ RookB312

I'm way hoping that it's some form of MMO. I've always loved the idea of MMOs but I've never found one that I actually liked enough to get into as much as, say, Halo. At the moment I've been kind of looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online. But if I were to bet money on which game I'd get more into, ESO or a Bungie MMO, I'd bet on Bungie.

I'm looking forward to real innovation in a Bungie MMO (if that's even what Destiny will be). I have a feeling that there'll be a mechanic or some feature or something that will be purely Bungie, and it'll blow us all away.

so ya im exxite

by RookB312, Sunday, June 09, 2013, 21:27 (3970 days ago) @ RookB312

They've recently said that it will not be an MMO, but a shared world shooter. This makes me think it will be almost like the game Darksouls where you have your own world, but can bring in other people to help you. Thoughts?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread